Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
I do not yet own Baldur's Gate 3. I have however played a lot of DnD and previous Larian games (DOS + DOS2).

One thing I have noticed from watching BG3 gameplay is that the hit probability is always displayed, even if you don't necessarily know the AC/saving throws of your opponent. To me, this goes against the spirit of DnD. In DnD the DM doesn't just give away AC values. The only information you're supposed to get is the value you rolled and whether you hit or miss. Everything else should be up to the player to figure out.

So, is there a way to turn off hit percentages in BG3? (I will likely not purchase the game if there is not)

Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 21/10/21 07:06 PM.
veteran
veteran
At the moment it takes quite a bit of effort to see what you rolled, so that would be super annoying, believe me.

D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
That is unfortunate... As is, seeing the hit percentage would just ruin the experience for me so I guess I will not be purchasing this game.

Q
stranger
stranger
Q
Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
That is unfortunate... As is, seeing the hit percentage would just ruin the experience for me so I guess I will not be purchasing this game.

That's certainly an interesting hill to die on.

I'd take another look at launch before writing the game off. It's going to have extensive support for mods, so even if the developers don't add this feature, I think it's fair to say it could be something easily added in.

veteran
veteran
if that's your line in the sand then you are making the right decision because there's so much worse that is different from D&D tabletop lol.

old hand
old hand
I believe AC is also one of the many stats available to for you to see if you... the word escapes me. If you tight click check the creature.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dexai
I believe AC is also one of the many stats available to for you to see if you... the word escapes me. If you tight click check the creature.

Examine

D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Originally Posted by JandK

Examine

In DOS2 your ability to examine a creature depended on you characters lore ability. Is there something similar in BG3 or do you always just get to know everything about you opponent?

veteran
veteran
In DOS2 your ability to examine a creature depended on you characters lore ability. Is there something similar in BG3 or do you always just get to know everything about you opponent?
As far as I know there is no check. Just unit model and stat sheet.

D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Wormerine

Lame!
This implies that even a 8 INT 8 WIS Barbarian can somehow know everything about each random creature they encounter. Where's the mystery?

M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Wormerine

Lame!
This implies that even a 8 INT 8 WIS Barbarian can somehow know everything about each random creature they encounter. Where's the mystery?

Um. Don't right click and select examine. Problem solved.

M
stranger
stranger
M
In the end, this is a video game using a variation of 5th Ed rules. It's not a tabletop DnD experience converted to visual media. If that's what you're looking for, you'll have to wait for something else. Too many people are going into this hoping for a genuine 5th Ed DnD game, but this simply is not it. That's Larian's call and the experience is going to be different. Hopefully by launch they'll have changed some things to make it a little more 'authentic', but even if they don't, if you want to play this game you'll have to realize that it's a unique experience and take it for what it is.. (or don't, that's also your call).
As for 'spirit' of DnD, that's a subjective thing. I play tabletop, and our DM has no problem telling us the DC if we ask for it. Why? Because some of us are newer players and it helps to teach them a better understanding of what's going on. Everyone plays differently. Critical Role plays it way different than anyone I've ever seen before. Every DM I've ever had has different rules and expectations and plays it in a different 'spirit' than the previous one.

This game is just another take. Some will decry it, some will love it.

Take it or leave it.

D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Originally Posted by MrBionic
In the end, this is a video game using a variation of 5th Ed rules. It's not a tabletop DnD experience converted to visual media. If that's what you're looking for, you'll have to wait for something else. Too many people are going into this hoping for a genuine 5th Ed DnD game, but this simply is not it. That's Larian's call and the experience is going to be different. Hopefully by launch they'll have changed some things to make it a little more 'authentic', but even if they don't, if you want to play this game you'll have to realize that it's a unique experience and take it for what it is.. (or don't, that's also your call).
As for 'spirit' of DnD, that's a subjective thing. I play tabletop, and our DM has no problem telling us the DC if we ask for it. Why? Because some of us are newer players and it helps to teach them a better understanding of what's going on. Everyone plays differently. Critical Role plays it way different than anyone I've ever seen before. Every DM I've ever had has different rules and expectations and plays it in a different 'spirit' than the previous one.

This game is just another take. Some will decry it, some will love it.

Take it or leave it.

Of course it is subjective! I am just hoping Larian will give players the option to play how they want instead of forcing players to use easy mode.

addict
Online Content
addict
Also, it's not like you see all the percentages of all enemies to help you decide who to attack. You see the percentage when you move the mouse over an opponent. So, you can use whatever combat tactics you want, and ignore the number that is shown when you execute it.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Honestly those percentages are source of much frustration for me ...
There is nothing more anoying in this game than to see 90% chance to hit ... resulting in miss 3 times in a row (scorching ray .... yup, sometimes im THAT lucky ... dont take it too seriously, happened once laugh but misses with really high hit chances are far from rare ). -_-

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 21/10/21 08:40 PM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
journeyman
journeyman
Somewhat related, for shoving do we get to actually see the roll? I remember looking in the combat log and the roll wasn't there, so all I had to go off was the initial percentage

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Honestly those percentages are source of much frustration for me ...
I find it frustrating but for different reason - I would rather actual info (like what number I have to roll, or AC to hit, with modifiers being listed in the UI to the left. Like it is in skill checks).

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by polliwagwhirl
Somewhat related, for shoving do we get to actually see the roll? I remember looking in the combat log and the roll wasn't there, so all I had to go off was the initial percentage
Depends what do you mean?
We dont see any dices rolling, no ... but if you mouseover your hit or miss in combat log, you can see there wich number was generated for you, wich dice was used and what modifiers was added ...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

But sadly not for damage rolls ... you can see only result there. frown

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 22/10/21 06:50 PM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard