Print Thread
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Etruscan
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
Originally Posted by Swen Vincke
... so, the chance to do that, and to bring what basically is our RPG identity to Baldur's Gate as a franchise was an opportunity too good to resist. And so, what it will do for us... uh, what we think it will do for us is it's going to show a larger segment of people, because I think Baldur's Gate 3 will reach more people than Divinity will have done... it will show a larger segment of the population what our RPGs feel like and hopefully bring them to play our other games also.

I am really not interested in a new(er) studio trying to push their identity through a beloved established series. Sadly, this only confirms my initial suspicions of BG3. The game could still be decent on its own merits, sure, but it won't be Baldur's Gate.

Ugh, what an arrogant remark by Sven. Essentially he seems to admit they're piggybacking the BG brand with little intention of trying to do the legacy of their predecessors justice at all, it's purely for their own ends, quite megalomaniacal really. While I totally comprehend why they have have done so (after all, who would turn down such an opportunity?), it still rankles with me.
That kind of attitude from a developer can also backfire in a big way.

I'm sure there are other players like me who don't care for the Divinity series but consider BG1&2 to be the best cRPG still in 2022. Or D&D players who want a mature and immersive world and story instead of a tongue-in-cheek shovefest of a video game with cutesy talking animals. Players who are not happy with how BG3 is shaping up.

When Swen says "what the game can do for us" I hope it just came out wrong. That sentence is completely backwards and hints a very business first approach to game development. Games are made for players, not studios. The second you start calculating what a game can do for a studio, your priorities are wrong. "What the game can do for the studio" can also be a massive backlash if they turn a beloved IP into something else.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
But, ultimately, BG3 is a great game.

"BG3" stands for Baldur's Gate 3, yeah? There are plenty of other concepts that can potentially turn out to be "great" games; I want this to be a Baldur's Gate game. I want to immerse myself in the Realms when I play a Forgotten Realms title. So far, I'm not feeling the fidelity.

Incidentally, I found a great comment of yours ->

I think this all goes back to just how UN-Forgotten Realms this game is. Elves are humans with pointy ears, Drow aren't Sunlight Sensitive, Phase Spiders teleport around like they all know a super version of Misty Step, Intellect Devourers don't devour intellect or use body thief or pounce on single individuals but act like standard mins flayer thugs, imps have no resistance and are easy, level 1 noob enemies, mud mephits and their allies don't have proper stats or act like they should, the First Druid of the grove is a weak level 5 noob scrub who can't handle a bunch of goblins and needs you to rescue him, even though he's supposed to be a super awesome accomplished healer and everybody acts like he's an incredible fighter who saved a bunch of tieflings on the road against a pack of gnolls all by hisself, the hobgoblin warlord isn't a hobgoblin warlord, the drow cleric of the Absolute (Minthara) is a pretty weak piece of nothing who can easily be beaten, minotaurs don't act like minotaurs, and hook horrors don't act like hook horrors or have proper stats, and everyone jumps around like super heroes and shoves people three hundred feet off cliffs.

I'd say that sums up the issue. The whole game needs some serious Forgotten Realms infused into it. Right now, it's a great game, and I love it, but it is so UN-Forgotten Realms. The more I play it and analyze it, the more I can understand why so many feel it is a DOS 3 as opposed to a Baldur's Gate 3. Story and settings say it is Baldur's Gate 3, but mechanics and models say something else.

I'd like to bring this up as well because THIS is what Larian needs to pay close attention to.

The game does not feel like Forgotten Realms. It's all over the place. The direction isn't clear.

To add to the list above:

In Forgotten Realms, death is not a trivial inconvenience. When someone is (repeatedly) pushed into a river of lava, they actually get incinerated beyond resurrection rather than get teleported to camp for a cheap res. If you don't want to deal with permanent death situations, why place rivers of lava and bottomless pits everywhere and buff Shove with insane range and basically every other aspect of it? Other games have the PC's just get knocked out in combat and avoid permanent death scenarios for this reason, suspension of disbelief. Larian don't give a rats ass about suspension of disbelief, they are openly shouting at every turn how BG3 is just a video game instead of an immersive fantasy world.

Speak with Animals lets you communicate with animals. But it doesn't turn them into intelligent eloquent speakers or Forgotten Realms into a Disney cartoon.

Yes, it's a game and it needs good gameplay elements too. But Larian are taking everything too far to the point where it doesn't feel like Forgotten Realms anymore. And I haven't had this problem with any previous Forgotten Realms titles. BG1, BG2, IWD, IWD2, NWN, NWN2.. all of those other games feel like Forgotten Realms.

veteran
veteran
Something else I recently considered. This game is HUGE already. It is taxing my computer to play Grymforge.
It's more the lack of optimisation, rather then game's hugeness. Hopefully it will get more efficient with 1.0.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by 1varangian

"BG3" stands for Baldur's Gate 3, yeah? There are plenty of other concepts that can potentially turn out to be "great" games; I want this to be a Baldur's Gate game. I want to immerse myself in the Realms when I play a Forgotten Realms title. So far, I'm not feeling the fidelity.

I think this all goes back to just how UN-Forgotten Realms this game is. Elves are humans with pointy ears, Drow aren't Sunlight Sensitive, Phase Spiders teleport around like they all know a super version of Misty Step, Intellect Devourers don't devour intellect or use body thief or pounce on single individuals but act like standard mins flayer thugs, imps have no resistance and are easy, level 1 noob enemies, mud mephits and their allies don't have proper stats or act like they should, the First Druid of the grove is a weak level 5 noob scrub who can't handle a bunch of goblins and needs you to rescue him, even though he's supposed to be a super awesome accomplished healer and everybody acts like he's an incredible fighter who saved a bunch of tieflings on the road against a pack of gnolls all by hisself, the hobgoblin warlord isn't a hobgoblin warlord, the drow cleric of the Absolute (Minthara) is a pretty weak piece of nothing who can easily be beaten, minotaurs don't act like minotaurs, and hook horrors don't act like hook horrors or have proper stats, and everyone jumps around like super heroes and shoves people three hundred feet off cliffs.

I'd say that sums up the issue. The whole game needs some serious Forgotten Realms infused into it. Right now, it's a great game, and I love it, but it is so UN-Forgotten Realms. The more I play it and analyze it, the more I can understand why so many feel it is a DOS 3 as opposed to a Baldur's Gate 3. Story and settings say it is Baldur's Gate 3, but mechanics and models say something else.

I'd like to bring this up as well because THIS is what Larian needs to pay close attention to.

The game does not feel like Forgotten Realms. It's all over the place. The direction isn't clear.

In Forgotten Realms, death is not a trivial inconvenience. When someone is (repeatedly) pushed into a river of lava, they actually get incinerated beyond resurrection rather than get teleported to camp for a cheap res. If you don't want to deal with permanent death situations, why place rivers of lava and bottomless pits everywhere and buff Shove with insane range and basically every other aspect of it? Other games have the PC's just get knocked out in combat and avoid permanent death scenarios for this reason, suspension of disbelief. Larian don't give a rats ass about suspension of disbelief, they are openly shouting at every turn how BG3 is just a video game instead of an immersive fantasy world.

Speak with Animals lets you communicate with animals. But it doesn't turn them into intelligent eloquent speakers or Forgotten Realms into a Disney cartoon.

Yes, it's a game and it needs good gameplay elements too. But Larian are taking everything too far to the point where it doesn't feel like Forgotten Realms anymore. And I haven't had this problem with any previous Forgotten Realms titles. BG1, BG2, IWD, IWD2, NWN, NWN2.. all of those other games feel like Forgotten Realms.

People now-days care more for conveniences, silly comedy, cartoony graphics and <quality of life> rather than being immersed in a complex, dark , mature and atmospheric RPG world. Bunch of softy whining pokemon gamers who wants their cringy <<sex>> scene in games is what we have now.

Its so incredibly ironic because the gen that made these amazing Crpgs three decades ago are now retired and their childrens, US, who played these now have to deal with this modern easy to buy and swallow junk WE CREATED for the current young generation of gamers to get hooked on.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 09/02/22 01:03 PM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Originally Posted by 1varangian

People now-days care more for conveniences, silly comedy, cartoony graphics and <quality of life> rather than being immersed in a complex, dark , mature and atmospheric RPG world. Bunch of softy whining pokemon gamers who wants their cringy <<sex>> scene in games is what we have now.

Its so incredibly ironic because the gen that made these amazing Crpgs three decades ago are now retired and their childrens, US, who played these now have to deal with this modern easy to buy and swallow junk WE CREATED for the current young generation of gamers to get hooked on.
I wouldn't be that cynical yet.

Game of Thrones became a massive mainstream hit because it was dark, gritty and is set in a realistic and believable fantasy world. There certainly is a demand for such. D&D sort of fulfills that same demand while being more magical fantasy. But it doesn't have to be as silly and tongue-in-cheek as Larian is making it.

old hand
old hand
I don't want D&D/FR to ape Game of Thrones.

stranger
stranger
But D&D always had silly stuff like that. Essentially the prequal to BG3, Descent into Avernus has scenes where you talk to a brain damaged Bearded Devil and his pet hellchicken or a Night Hag named Mad Maggie who can sell you cars to have mad max fights in against a talking pigman with a big hammer, or a cute talking flying elephant who shoots sparkles out of her trunk.
Sorry but D&D is kinda silly and it has been like that most of its existence, Baldurs Gate 3 is true to what the Forgotten Realms actually is. The interpretation of FR being dark and gritty was made up for the story of the first 2 games. and its also why alot of NWN is far less serious by comparison.

can you in all honestly say that if the classic games had full animal speaking that they wouldn't have animals properly talk? Why do people keep warping the perception fo BG1 and 2 as super serious gritty games when they had tones of funny moments and down right campy stuff and that was one of the many things that made it great. It had a sense of humor and was silly at times. Is BG3's tone different from the past games? ABSOLUTELY but thats because they aren't the same people who made those games and Larian was smart and made sure to distance its story from the originals.

If you played any recent module from 5E then you'll know for sure that BG3 is as in line with Forgotten Realms tone as you can get.

Last edited by Josset; 09/02/22 02:04 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Josset
But D&D always had silly stuff like that. Essentially the prequal to BG3, Descent into Avernus has scenes where you talk to a brain damaged Bearded Devil and his pet hellchicken or a Night Hag named Mad Maggie who can sell you cars to have mad max fights in against a talking pigman with a big hammer, or a cute talking flying elephant who shoots sparkles out of her trunk.
Sorry but D&D is kinda silly and it has been like that most of its existence, Baldurs Gate 3 is true to what the Forgotten Realms actually is. The interpretation of FR being dark and gritty was made up for the story of the first 2 games. and its also why alot of NWN is far less serious by comparison.

can you in all honestly say that if the classic games had full animal speaking that they wouldn't have animals properly talk? Why do people keep warping the perception fo BG1 and 2 as super serious gritty games when they had tones of funny moments and down right campy stuff and that was one of the many things that made it great. It had a sense of humor and was silly at times. Is BG3's tone different from the past games? ABSOLUTELY but thats because they aren't the same people who made those games and Larian was smart and made sure to distance its story from the originals.

If you played any recent module from 5E then you'll know for sure that BG3 is as in line with Forgotten Realms tone as you can get.

Can't argue with that. I said something similar a few months back. Look at recent FR lore. Second Sundering. Gods and goddesses and their Chosen. Devils and demons, hags, Shar and Selune, all Drow cities becoming nothing except Menzo... Shoot, the Cults of the Three play a prevalent role in Descent which is like a prelude to BG3.

You may not like it, but Larian is staying pretty true to more recent FR lore. And it's true, Minsc and Boo, Jaheira's comments, they'd even break the fourth wall a lot with things like, "What is your command," and "oh omnipresent authority figure.". Pretty silly stuff.

Last edited by GM4Him; 09/02/22 02:17 PM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

Of course D&D can have silly stuff. Real life has silly stuff. Forgotten Realms has silly stuff without a doubt. No need to argue that.

Lets separate two things here. Silly stuff in character is different from silly stuff as gameplay mechanics. D&D combat is not about constantly Shoving your enemies into lava or pits. You can do it, but in BG3 it has been exaggerated to a silly level. It's not about plopping down explosive barrels from Magic Pockets and blowing up entire encounters. D&D combat is not about everyone and everything spamming poison and acid surfaces everywhere and jumping all over the map like teleport is a basic skill. Solasta plays like D&D while BG3 plays like some silly aberration between Divinity and Super Mario.

The only in character silly that bothers me are the ridiculous backgrounds like Gale's and Karlach's. I can't begin to understand why new level 1 characters must be portrayed as legendary and amazing when honest inexperienced aspiring heroes would make more sense in the context, be more believable and thus resonate better with the player.

20 year old games with pixelated graphics make a poor comparison to BG3 in terms of breaking the fourth wall and such. Much is forgiven when the game has such limited visuals. But BG3 is close to photorealism. When the characters look like in real life, they also need to act more like in real life. It becomes more of a cinema comparison, than a 20 year old game comparison.

As for the animal speaking, Speak with Animals communication should be limited by their intelligence level, as per the spell description. They wouldn't suddenly speak in perfect eloquent sentences and act cutesy like Bambi or Chip and Dale. They would be animals conveying meanings in a more primitive fashion. Which frankly would be much more interesting gameplaywise when you would still have to interpret them.

old hand
old hand

can you in all honestly say that if the classic games had full animal speaking that they wouldn't have animals properly talk? Why do people keep warping the perception fo BG1 and 2 as super serious gritty games when they had tones of funny moments and down right campy stuff and that was one of the many things that made it great. It had a sense of humor and was silly at times.

As I said earlier ->

This is a matter of degrees: one of them (i.e., the original saga) is a firecracker and the other (i.e., Larian's project) is a main-sequence star.

The way some people describe both games, you'd think Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 were extended episodes of The Three Stooges.

Humor isn't universal in tone; while, yes, there is slapstick-style humor, there is also dry/subtle humor, dark humor, situational humor, et cetera. Thus far, the majority of "humor" in the BG3 releases has been overt and crass.

Is BG3's tone different from the past games? ABSOLUTELY but thats because they aren't the same people who made those games and Larian was smart and made sure to distance its story from the originals.

In the long run, it will bite them in the ass; they should have taken a page from late 2e-era writing.

veteran
veteran
Is BG3's tone different from the past games? ABSOLUTELY but thats because they aren't the same people who made those games and Larian was smart and made sure to distance its story from the originals.

I didn't play any recent module from 5E, because, oh surprise, I am a Baldur's Gate fan, not D&D 5E fan.

And as it was mentioned many times before if Larian wanted to distance themselves from BG1&2 they shouldn't have called Baldur's Gate3 a Baldur's Gate3. You can't have a cake and eat it too.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Allience wasn't called Baldur's Gate3
God of War (2018) isn't called God of War4
Tomb Raider: Legend and Tomb Raider (2016) both don't pretend to be direct sequels to previous titles.
Upcoming Avowed from Obsidian is called Avowed, not Pillars of Eternity3
Gears Tactics isn't called Gears of War 6.
DMC: Devil May Cry wasn't called Devil May Cry5

WotC and Larian willingly branded the D&D 5E project as a direct sequel to BG1&2. As much as I hate gaming convention of naming reboot like the first game, at least it helps to diffirenciate series. Lets say someone in the future will make BG4. What universe will that game take place? BG1&2? BG3? It is just unnecessarily messy and IMO bad branding. Baldur's Gate3 means little to people who don't care about BG1&2 and will annoy people who adore the IP.

As a side note, a claim that devs are incapable to do different tones is absurd. If they only do what comes naturally to them then they are poor craftsman. Just as Alien: Isolation was praised for how well it adapted Alien IP, one can judge Larian on how well they adapt Baldur's Gate IP. If their intention was not to adapt BG IP, then from my perspective as a fan, they should have left it alone. I even doubt if they are interested in adapting D&D 5E, considering how they insist to change many aspects of it.

Last edited by Wormerine; 09/02/22 03:51 PM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I’ve read through this thread and found it really thought-provoking, thanks folks.

There do seem to be quite a few original BG fans who don’t see BG3 as a (worthy) successor, though, and while it’s entirely possible the thread is representative in that way, I do want to throw in a bit of counterpoint as someone who played BG1 & BG2 (and IWD, NWN, Planscape: Torment) when they first came out, and numerous times since. And who finally struggled through DOS after three attempts and probably as many years, and whose DOS2 playthrough petered out in act 2.

My own take is that:

- BG3 gameplay is clearly different from the old games, and while I agree with many of the niggles people have highlighted and hope they get ironed out, on the whole I reckon the changes are for the better.
- Okay, yeah, I don’t like the way most animals speak either.
- But while it of course comes across differently when voiced by realistic-looking characters, the dark and absurd humour (plus dashes of pure silliness) thrown into a more serious story is absolutely something I feel I can recognise and appreciate from BG1&2.
- It’s superficial, but I’m liking the scattered references to the original games, eg in the books with Candlekeep interviews, about the Bhaalspawn crisis and Faldorn’s manifesto, and I’m sure that as the game goes on we’ll get more that ties back that I’ll have fun smugly recognising.
- And in terms of events in the game, even in these first few areas in EA I’m enjoying the echoes of the first game (druids v shadow druids, lots of the Underdark, disturbing dreams, and so on) and there’s not much that actually happens that I couldn’t see happening in the first two games even if the feel is somewhat different due to BG3 being made by different people.

So, in short, and acknowledging this is very much a personal opinion, this particular old BG fan is very happy with the direction of the game, and is finding Larian’s new and different take on BG intruiging and fun, but with enough commonality to see it as a genuine successor to the games I’ve loved for 20+ years.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen
I’ve read through this thread and found it really thought-provoking, thanks folks.

There do seem to be quite a few original BG fans who don’t see BG3 as a (worthy) successor, though, and while it’s entirely possible the thread is representative in that way, I do want to throw in a bit of counterpoint as someone who played BG1 & BG2 (and IWD, NWN, Planscape: Torment) when they first came out, and numerous times since. And who finally struggled through DOS after three attempts and probably as many years, and whose DOS2 playthrough petered out in act 2.

My own take is that:

- BG3 gameplay is clearly different from the old games, and while I agree with many of the niggles people have highlighted and hope they get ironed out, on the whole I reckon the changes are for the better.
- Okay, yeah, I don’t like the way most animals speak either.
- But while it of course comes across differently when voiced by realistic-looking characters, the dark and absurd humour (plus dashes of pure silliness) thrown into a more serious story is absolutely something I feel I can recognise and appreciate from BG1&2.
- It’s superficial, but I’m liking the scattered references to the original games, eg in the books with Candlekeep interviews, about the Bhaalspawn crisis and Faldorn’s manifesto, and I’m sure that as the game goes on we’ll get more that ties back that I’ll have fun smugly recognising.
- And in terms of events in the game, even in these first few areas in EA I’m enjoying the echoes of the first game (druids v shadow druids, lots of the Underdark, disturbing dreams, and so on) and there’s not much that actually happens that I couldn’t see happening in the first two games even if the feel is somewhat different due to BG3 being made by different people.

So, in short, and acknowledging this is very much a personal opinion, this particular old BG fan is very happy with the direction of the game, and is finding Larian’s new and different take on BG intruiging and fun, but with enough commonality to see it as a genuine successor to the games I’ve loved for 20+ years.

You know what? One can agree or not with your statements (I do for the most) but this is undeniably one of the most pleasant posts I have seen in a long time. Polite and sensitive.
Kudos to you!

C
stranger
stranger
C
I like the dungeons and dragons lore because alot of it reminds me of books and stories from what is most likely my favourite author of all time: Jack Vance.

Which is entirely unsurprising because the original D&D borrowed a whole lot of ideas from him. Like the Vancian magic system in previous editions.

Now if you know Vance, his books weren't serious, nor ridiculous. I would describe them as whimsical and sarcastic, and so far that's exactly what this game is being for me. So love it personally.

addict
addict
Summing up everything, when we first saw that BG3 demo nearly 2 years ago everyone were...<hmm, this is more DOS3 than a BG game....>

But most were, ...<well in a year or two of work on the game, we will definitely get a Forgotten Realms D&D Baldurs gate experience and atmosphere!...>

lol.

Still hoping...Cause this still looks and plays like a DOS3 game. D&D and Forgotten Realm stuff is still incredibly superficial and lacking. Im tired of staying positive, looking how the game is <<<evolving>>> Ive pretty much lost hope for a great Baldurs gate atmosphere D&D tactical game.

So im now just completely ignoring the title, game system and setting now...and wow. Its actual a GREAT FUN GAME with corny PG13 cinematics!

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 12/02/22 11:58 AM.
old hand
old hand
Summing up everything, when we first saw that BG3 demo nearly 2 years ago everyone were...<hmm, this is more DOS3 than a BG game....>

But most were, ...<well in a year or two of work on the game, we will definitely get a Forgotten Realms D&D Baldurs gate experience and atmosphere!...>

lol.

Still hoping...Cause this still looks and plays like a DOS3 game. D&D and Forgotten Realm stuff is still incredibly superficial and lacking. Im tired of staying positive, looking how the game is <<<evolving>>> Ive pretty much lost hope for a great Baldurs gate atmosphere D&D tactical game.

So im now just completely ignoring the title, game system and setting now...and wow. Its actual a GREAT FUN GAME with corny PG13 cinematics!

The rationalizations come like clockwork every time.

veteran
veteran

lol.

I am thinking of BG3 as Descent into Avernus 2, not BG3. It helps.

O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O

lol.

I am thinking of BG3 as Descent into Avernus 2, not BG3. It helps.

Personally I feel the game plays more like a Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance sequel than it does a straight up Baldur's Gate sequel. I can't compare to the DOS games since I didn't play them, but BG3 as it is is more like an action/adventure/quasi hack & slash title.

veteran
veteran
Personally I think it could be a bit more PG13. "Adult content" doesn't make title more grounded or mature. More "Dune". "Lord of the Rings" and less "Deadpool" would be my request.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Personally I think it could be a bit more PG13. "Adult content" doesn't make title more grounded or mature. More "Dune". "Lord of the Rings" and less "Deadpool" would be my request.

AMEN to that!!!

Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard