Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15
R
old hand
old hand
R
I have the feeling that some people really should play BG again because I have the feeling that people have forgotten how not very serious the game was.

E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
I have the feeling that some people really should play BG again because I have the feeling that people have forgotten how not very serious the game was.

I disagree. I've replayed BG1 & 2 multiple times over the years and I stand by the assertion that it was a serious/mature adventure with moments of levity. There was both silly and genuinely funny humour but they did not detract from the overall tone. I can't say the same thing about BG3.

G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G

90s was legendary. When Fist Person Games with their guns came, it changed the tone of game industry. MMORPG rush did not help either with their raid/gear attitude etc. Now we even have ESport, kids play game like their grandpa died.

Im hoping that Bethesda takes a stand against it, but we will see. Larian could join.

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 13/02/22 12:59 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by GreatWarrioX

90s was legendary. When Fist Person Games with their guns came, it changed the tone of game industry. MMORPG rush did not help either with their raid/gear attitude etc. Now we even have ESport, kids play game like their grandpa died.

Im hoping that Bethesda takes a stand against it, but we will see. Larian could join.

...?

G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
Originally Posted by Ragitsu

...?

Well said.

old hand
old hand

...?

Well said.

Stand against what, exactly?

old hand
old hand
Decapitating Disney squirrels?

veteran
veteran
Ooo ooo ooo!

Patch 7! Can we decapitate Disney squirrels in Patch 7?

I'm SO excited now for it. 👹

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Ooo ooo ooo!

Consider me suitably curious; if I ever get my AD&D 2e FR game off the ground, I'd like to see what sort of personality you could offer.

veteran
veteran
Ooo ooo ooo!

Consider me suitably curious; if I ever get my AD&D 2e FR game off the ground, I'd like to see what sort of personality you could offer.

I've got plenty of personalities to offer. Lol. As a DM, I am EVERYONE except the PCs.

EVERYONE... 👹

Need a sinister demon? Got ya covered.

Need a stuck up prepubescent, annoying princess? Played that part before.

Want a quirky ghost gnome detective who dresses like Sherlock Holmes and thinks everyone is a suspect in a robbery gone wrong? "Grrrreeetings-ah!". Takes pipe out of mouth. "I am Inspect-OR Pfingsten, at your service. Wait a bit! Perhaps NOT at your service. I think I've seen you before. Where were you..."

😏

old hand
old hand
Ooo ooo ooo!

I've got plenty of personalities to offer. Lol. As a DM, I am EVERYONE except the PCs.

EVERYONE... 👹

Want a quirky ghost gnome detective who dresses like Sherlock Holmes and thinks everyone is a suspect in a robbery gone wrong? "Grrrreeetings-ah!". Takes pipe out of mouth. "I am Inspect-OR Pfingsten, at your service. Wait a bit! Perhaps NOT at your service. I think I've seen you before. Where were you..."

😏

It has often been said that doctors make the worst patients; do you believe the sentiment of that maxim is applicable to DMs as players?

old hand
old hand

Takes a stand against what, exactly? Is there a Divinity eSport league? I wasn't aware of that. I also hadn't seen any information on a Fallout or Elder Scrolls league, so do you have some links to those? It would seem, from what I have direct knowledge of, that Bethesda and Larian are both already "taking a stand against them", right? I mean, they don't have their major SP franchises featured in an eSports league, so that must be because they disallowed it, or, maybe, and I find this more likely, it's not as pervasive as you would like us to believe. The problem with posting about games on a gaming forum is that you're talking to gamers, and we have our hands on the pulse of a lot of different games. Some of us probably play those eSport games you're so dead set against, although I don't play them.

I'm reminded of a discussion on an MMO forum where a poster sincerely believed that Blizzard should go after Ancient Greece because some of the mobs in game were taken from that mythology, and Blizzard must surely own it all...

veteran
veteran
Ooo ooo ooo!

EVERYONE... 👹

😏

It has often been said that doctors make the worst patients; do you believe the sentiment of that maxim is applicable to DMs as players?

Yes. My brother was a DM. He made for a very difficult player when I tried being a DM with him and a few others. He constantly halted the game, challenging rules and so forth. Slowed pace tremendously and was so frustrating.

old hand
old hand
Yes. My brother was a DM. He made for a very difficult player when I tried being a DM with him and a few others. He constantly halted the game, challenging rules and so forth. Slowed pace tremendously and was so frustrating.

Did he begin his gaming hobby as a DM? I feel as though starting D&D (or any tabletop roleplaying game, really) as a player is likely to result in a future DM that is more in tune with the player perspective.

veteran
veteran
Most good DMs make excellent players, because they understand about table atmosphere and group dynamic, and have tricks at their disposal for balancing these things and keeping the mood at the table fun and engaging. A good DM will respect the flow of the game, and understand how important the DM's rhythm is for that - they'll help if needed or asked, or if the DM wants their input, but otherwise let's the DM keep control of the table, because they understand why that matters. A good Dm will also generally try to RP in a way that supports other players and gives them chances too play their own characters - engaging the quieter players in ways that they'll respond well to, and making room for them to play, without stepping on or crushing the more active and enthusiastic players who don't need that assistance to participate.

On the other hand... a sweaty DM, who likes to dominate their table, enforce rules bluntly or harshly, and who may be prone to treating the dm chair as a power trip, no matter how nice their world building or story-telling may be outside that, will be prone to the same thing as a player, most likely - they'll quibble rules, interrupt flow, challenge decisions and often be disinclined to respect the Dm's authority on matters because they feel they know what is 'better', and will insist on saying so during the game, rather than after it.

It really varies, honestly.

Last edited by Niara; 21/02/22 01:15 AM.
old hand
old hand
INVULNERABLE DEVIL-SPAWN CHILDREN.

old hand
old hand
Please tell me bizarre tonal shifts aren't trendy.

stranger
stranger
As someone new to the game and playing as a druid right away - I love getting to talk to most/all of the animals.

I don't love them all being disney animals, but I'm kinda okay with it.

And that's coming from someone who considers themselves a druid irl.

*Just started playing BG3 a few weeks back - Patch 7 - so give me a bit of grace if I'm repeating or missing anything from earlier versions.*
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by MyrddinDerwydd
And that's coming from someone who considers themselves a druid irl.
up

old hand
old hand
That's not the way the spell works.

Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard