Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 23 of 23 1 2 21 22 23
old hand
old hand
This conversation will reset in 3...2...1...

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
And we're back to "there should be a Religion check to recognize SH's symbols, but since Tav should at least know about Shar (stop thinking in small-terms, the Spellplague is more like if Shar took out electricity for years in our real world), we the player should be informed prior to SH's reveal."

Or even more at least, if we the player aren't told about Shar, then Tav's dialogue options should include an option: "Who's Shar? I lived under a rock for my whole life."

First, the spellplague happened over a hundred years ago. That's a lot of years for folks to get things twisted about in stories, especially when those folks live in a world where something crazy is happening all the time, like the recent decent of Elturel into literal hell.

Second, I'm not even convinced people know what's being argued here. The point under current discussion isn't whether or not someone knows who Shar is or that she's a goddess. The point being discussed is whether or not they would recognize her armor immediately. Or associate her circlet jewelry for worship most foul.

Third, if we want to discuss what people know about Shar, then fine.
A. if everyone thought the same about Shar, then there wouldn't be people like Shadowheart. People who worship Shar and see her as a positive in the world.
B. yes, knowledge rolls are typically required for knowledge.
C. that said, there's nothing wrong with a reveal that's paced by storytelling, where the character learns to trust Shadowheart before learning more and more about Shar through the unfolding of the story. I dare say that information about Shar is getting revealed as the story progresses, most certainly after having played through Grymforge.

Basically, I go back to a post I made in this thread several several pages back. Imagine that the game treats Shar the way so many of you seem to want. You go to Shadowheart's pod. You open the pod. You make a religion roll after seeing Shadowheart's armor. You learn that she worships Shar based on her armor and circlet. You learn right then that Shar is the worst. Literally. The worst. Shar wants to destroy the entire universe, and has tried to do so, resulting in, as someone else put it, millions of deaths. Not even the mind flayers want to destroy everything. What do you do then? Join up with Shadowheart? Or remove her as a threat? Great game so far, right? Like I said, I don't mean this in a rude way, but I'm really glad Larian isn't taking this advice because it's not good and it doesn't go anywhere good.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sozz
First of all, I forgot this before too, but this thread is about informing the player about who Shar is, not Tav. Secondly your point is about how Tav should know who Shar is, but our point is about how even if Tav knows who Shar is, that isn't the same as recognizing the trappings of a Sharist.

I live in Baldur's Gate, like most people I know that the great upheaval that took place a century ago was the work of Shar, magic ended for a while, times were hard, not so hard for my grandparents as they were for the wizards, but still. I personally have never seen a temple of Shar, nor have I ever met a follower of Shar (that I know of) I understand she is about darkness and hates the Moon (I know a lot more about Selune and her nice followers) but if you were to ask me, "What is the Shar's Symbol", I might have to make a religion roll.

Much more nuanced. Much more understanding. I would absolutely play in a game like this.

veteran
veteran
Go bump the Elves aren't Elven thread again, hypocrite! (joke)

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
23 more pages let's go!

Originally Posted by JandK
Basically, I go back to a post I made in this thread several several pages back. Imagine that the game treats Shar the way so many of you seem to want. You go to Shadowheart's pod. You open the pod. You make a religion roll after seeing Shadowheart's armor. You learn that she worships Shar based on her armor and circlet. You learn right then that Shar is the worst. Literally. The worst. Shar wants to destroy the entire universe, and has tried to do so, resulting in, as someone else put it, millions of deaths. Not even the mind flayers want to destroy everything. What do you do then? Join up with Shadowheart? Or remove her as a threat? Great game so far, right? Like I said, I don't mean this in a rude way, but I'm really glad Larian isn't taking this advice because it's not good and it doesn't go anywhere good.
You can also take her with you, resolving to keep an eye on her. You are trying to escape from near-certain death after all which makes for strange bedfellows. You also have a Gith ally who's entire species basically thinks of all other races as lesser; a cultist on her own isn't that bad in comparison even if she worships Shar.

You can also ask SH directly: "listen, before we go any further, I recognized the symbols on your armor as those of Shar....care to explain?" which could make for an interesting dynamic between Tav and Shar earlier in the game where she trusts you earlier. Or perhaps she'd leave in a huff, but then try join the party later (as she already does if you don't recruit her) once she realizes she needs help. But this time would be a bit less standoffish and more willing to answer questions.

There are plenty more options than "join up with her" or "remove her as a threat," some of which could be very interesting.

Edit: I suppose also Larian could also make her armor dirty/covered-in-pod-goo after coming out of the pod, so you can't really get a good look at her armor until after you land on the beach. At which point you possibly already had a good (or at least not terrible) interaction with her.

Last edited by mrfuji3; 13/11/21 05:32 PM. Reason: Edit2: pod "goo" instead of "good"
veteran
veteran
I suppose also Larian could also make her armor dirty/covered-in-pod-good after coming out of the pod, so you can't really get a good look at her armor until after you land on the beach. At which point you possibly already had a good (or at least not terrible) interaction with her.

Looking at the 'thumbnail' of her armor and the Justiciar armor I noticed the areas with the symbols are blank. I'm wondering if that's what it'll be like when it's final.

old hand
old hand
It's more like that is how it used to be, before they made them black. In previous patches they (the shoulder gems st least) were metallic.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
veteran
veteran
Really? That completely escaped my notice.
I've noticed at this point, I've played the first part of the game so many times, I have trouble distinguishing what was when an how about a lot of things.

veteran
veteran
A little off topic, but you know what I miss? The Bracing Ring. It used to be in the chest by the harpies in Patch 5, but it's not there anymore. frown

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
23 more pages let's go!

Originally Posted by JandK
You can also take her with you, resolving to keep an eye on her. You are trying to escape from near-certain death after all which makes for strange bedfellows. You also have a Gith ally who's entire species basically thinks of all other races as lesser; a cultist on her own isn't that bad in comparison even if she worships Shar.

You can also ask SH directly: "listen, before we go any further, I recognized the symbols on your armor as those of Shar....care to explain?" which could make for an interesting dynamic between Tav and Shar earlier in the game where she trusts you earlier. Or perhaps she'd leave in a huff, but then try join the party later (as she already does if you don't recruit her) once she realizes she needs help. But this time would be a bit less standoffish and more willing to answer questions.

There are plenty more options than "join up with her" or "remove her as a threat," some of which could be very interesting.

Edit: I suppose also Larian could also make her armor dirty/covered-in-pod-goo after coming out of the pod, so you can't really get a good look at her armor until after you land on the beach. At which point you possibly already had a good (or at least not terrible) interaction with her.
Exactly. This is a nuanced way to set up a game. What @JandK is talking about is not nuance or sophistication at all. What the game does right now is railroading, forcing us into reacting to/behaving towards SH a certain way all to preserve a special place in the game for Larian's precious SH character.

veteran
veteran
Whatever.

Guys, we're just looking for some basic setup.

I agree that the nautiloid is not the best place for a Religion check. In the heat of the moment, it makes sense that your character may not be focusing on the armor or whatever.

But we're talking that at NO time does ANYONE notice the armor or question it or anything and NO ONE gives you ANY background on Shar at any point. You have to read books and tomes to get basic information on one of the most important goddesses in the world and game.

In BG 1 and 2, nobody cared about this. Why? Because Shar was not important to the story in those games. In BG3, she is one of the MOST important since here is SH, a major character who is her cleric dressed in armor of a Dark Justiciar.

A roll should be made when you first meet her on the beach, and there should be more explanation, at least basic explanation, on who Shar is. And if they're going for an "Oh my gosh, you're a Sharran cleric of evil?" Moment, they need to put different armor on her and hide her background a bit more. Bottom line, either they need to hide her background and have the Aha moment, or they need to have a Religion check and people make some sort of big deal out of her armor.

Last edited by GM4Him; 14/11/21 02:57 PM.
Eddiar Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Just do it in the chapel, its impossible to miss and already has something about Shar. Just make it more cinematic and in your face.
And have Shadowheart lie to us there to justify some of the later dialogue lines.

veteran
veteran
I've noticed my last playthrough that a few of the Shar prompts have been removed. Making it a little easier to avoid finding out Shadowheart is a Sharran, my dim witted barbarian only would have easily found out if pressing her about the artifact after the Absolute scene.

Other than that I don't think anything else has been changed regarding talking about Shar that I've seen yet.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Haven't read most of the thread. But welcome to the rabbit hole of DnD lore! One life is not enough to understand it all, but that's also the draw imo.

Page 23 of 23 1 2 21 22 23

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard