Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
veteran
veteran
Dlss. Now just do RT Global Illumination and I will be a very happy nerd, when it comes to graphics 8)

veteran
veteran
Love the sorcerer class! It is lots of fun.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by EliasIncarnation
I almost started criticizing and complaining in this topic as well, but I figured that it'd be better for my spirit if I were to try to look at the good even if it pales in comparison to the bad.
Besides, there are already other topics to do that in.

At least you are making the attempt. This is an appreciation thread after all. There are a lot of negative threads already, which I don't want to waste the energy on, so I don't contribute to them.

Taken as a whole, what Larian is trying to do here is nothing short of miraculous, especially given the current state of gaming. I am excited for the finished product and the mods that it will inspire. This patch was another fantastic stepping stone to that final release.

I am eternally grateful for the people who work on this game every day, and for this amazing company. Looking forward to more.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Changing high ground to +2 was a long-awaited and excellent decision. Hopefully it is a sign of more closer-to-RAW changes to come. Or at the very least, changes that don't step as much on the toes of various class features & spells.

A
addict
addict
A
I'm close to finishing the run with a wild magic sorcerer and had lots of fun with the class. Now if only Larian let us play as gnomes, my sorceress would have been perfect... :P

Amirit Offline OP
OP Offline
Seems like a couple of things were here are from patch 5. Good that they kept them then!

Originally Posted by colinl8
OP, you're 100% right. There's a lot to appreciate, and we do. Just the sad reality of being human, isn't it, it's a lot easier to focus on what needs fixed than what's good.

All true and critique is still out there. But it's hard to work without a positive feedback. I wish they run surveys like "do you like that new feature?" or "that change" and so on. Without it, we can simply tell.

C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by Amirit
I wish they run surveys like "do you like that new feature?" or "that change" and so on. Without it, we can simply tell.

That's a really interesting idea. One of my initial thoughts in response was that surveys will be dominated by those with the strongest opinions, and the strongest opinions tend to be negative.

Swenn says "trust us, we read everything," and if we take him at his word, then I reckon the line of thinking is this: Forums will be dominated by negativity, that's 70% of their raison d'etre. If you look at where people push back organically at negativity, or where it's ignored completely, maybe you get a sense of what non-strongly-opinioned players think. Where the negativity is plus-oned unanimously, that's strong indication of something that might need to be reconsidered.

I like the idea of surveys too, but I'm not sure it gives as meaningful insight as watching us bicker like toddlers over minutiae smile

addict
addict
Originally Posted by The Composer
Dlss. Now just do RT Global Illumination and I will be a very happy nerd, when it comes to graphics 8)

Yes, please.

Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Taken as a whole, what Larian is trying to do here is nothing short of miraculous, especially given the current state of gaming. I am excited for the finished product and the mods that it will inspire. This patch was another fantastic stepping stone to that final release.

This is a bit too far in the direction of positive for my tastes.

Originally Posted by Amirit
All true and critique is still out there. But it's hard to work without a positive feedback. I wish they run surveys like "do you like that new feature?" or "that change" and so on. Without it, we can simply tell.

I think that in-game surveys would be awesome.
"Do you like how x works?"
"Do you think that y needs an improvement?"
"Would you prefer z to work like a or like b?"

It gets the opinions of even the people who don't feel like making an account here, going to the forums on Steam or writing long explanations.

Originally Posted by colinl8
That's a really interesting idea. One of my initial thoughts in response was that surveys will be dominated by those with the strongest opinions, and the strongest opinions tend to be negative.

Better that than to have the surveys dominated by those are positive no matter what.
Positive feedback is helpful as it likely encourages the developers, and getting a lot of it shows that something is probably being done right, but there's no great improvement when there's no criticism.

Last edited by EliasIncarnation; 25/10/21 03:02 AM.
old hand
old hand
I kept meaning to write up and evaluate all the changes I liked with patch 5 but never got around to it, and I've been wanting to do the same for p6 but let's be honest that's probably not happening.

But there was a lot of changes in these two patches that I liked. From mechanical things like removing backstabbing, height bonuses being reduced to +/-2, or things like AI improvements (even if they sometimes irritates me too) and enemies making use of the environment to a bigger degree, to little things like the "character reselection shuffle" being hemmed in so you don't have all characters randomly changing places when you reselect between any of the party members, spears being made versatile, all manner of smaller things that I think shows they listen more than their silence makes us think they do.

So yeah mosr of all appreciativeness: thanks for watching us and listening to us, Larian!

(Bonus appreciation for the camp additions of patch 5; I didn't see enough cheer for that when p5 released)

Optimistically Apocalyptic
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard