Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Redwyrm Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Just to be clear, been hidden literally gives you advantage on attack rolls against anyone who haven't detected you.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Nice bug, i agree. You need to look up why the game sees you at a DA

Also, the whole sneak attack mechanic is weird.

Normally you can sneak attack ONCE...cause you are not sneaked anymore after that. So the first attack out of stealth is a sneak attack,period. Our rougues can sneak attack every round when they have an advantage.

I usually see a sneak attack as something that is carefull planned and executed and does a LOT of damage because of that. NOT something you can do in a melee, advantage or no. Our toons do not stand still during melee (otherwise no attack would really miss) thats just graphical.

A little bonus damage for every attack for chars able to sneak attack i would understand. Having an enemy engaged with another gives you a little more time to hit weak spots. Not time enough to launch a debilitating killing strike to a vital point that moves around.

Thats how i see it at least. No idea how 5e explains it.

old hand
old hand
To sneak attack, you have to either 1: Have an ally next adjacent to the target creature; or 2: Have advantage on your attack, AND not have disadvantage on the attack.

I don't think the pictured scenario is a bug, I think you have advantage on the attack from being a sneaky bastard, but also disadvantage on the attack -- presumably from the enemy being in darkness or something. If that is true, you wouldn't be able to make sneak attack damage. I think it's working like it's supposed to.

Originally Posted by UnknownEvil
Nice bug, i agree. You need to look up why the game sees you at a DA

Also, the whole sneak attack mechanic is weird.

Normally you can sneak attack ONCE...cause you are not sneaked anymore after that. So the first attack out of stealth is a sneak attack,period. Our rougues can sneak attack every round when they have an advantage.

I usually see a sneak attack as something that is carefull planned and executed and does a LOT of damage because of that. NOT something you can do in a melee, advantage or no. Our toons do not stand still during melee (otherwise no attack would really miss) thats just graphical.

A little bonus damage for every attack for chars able to sneak attack i would understand. Having an enemy engaged with another gives you a little more time to hit weak spots. Not time enough to launch a debilitating killing strike to a vital point that moves around.

Thats how i see it at least. No idea how 5e explains it.

This is all putting way too much weight on the semantics of it being called "Sneak" Attack. The feature doesn't necessarily have anything to do with sneaking. It's about fighting dirty and exploiting weaknesses in your enemy's defence.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
veteran
veteran
Sneak attack is once again broken. Now they've gone the other way with it, and it like never works.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Sneak attack is once again broken. Now they've gone the other way with it, and it like never works.

I don't I've ever had sneak attack not work when it's supposed to.

Originally Posted by Dexai
To sneak attack, you have to either 1: Have an ally next adjacent to the target creature; or 2: Have advantage on your attack, AND not have disadvantage on the attack.

I don't think the pictured scenario is a bug, I think you have advantage on the attack from being a sneaky bastard, but also disadvantage on the attack -- presumably from the enemy being in darkness or something. If that is true, you wouldn't be able to make sneak attack damage. I think it's working like it's supposed to.

Agree. Although I think some sources of disadvantage are weird as of right now. I am pretty sure that I had cases where the enemy was "in the shadows" but my PC has darkvision, so this should not have been a problem. My guess is Larian imposes disadvantage in dim light for attack rolls, but it only should be for perception checks.

veteran
veteran
There is also an issue that seems to occur when you have an enemy of the target within 5 feet, and you are not attacking at disadvantage, but it still won't let you - usually this is in scenarios when you would have both advantage and disadvantage, and so it is a normal straight roll... but the game is nevertheless treating you as though you have disadvantage, for the purposes of locking out sneak attack. If this is happening as I suspect, it's because the internal code is handling its logic improperly - locking out sneak attack automatically because there is a source of disadvantage, rather than taking its cue from the actual roll.

C
addict
addict
C
Absolutely agree it's a bug in many situations, but I've also seen the case where I'm surprised I can't sneak attack, and the reason turns out to be the enemy is in the shadows and hard to see properly. I think many of those cases fall under the 'both advantage/disadvantage' situation mentioned above, but sometimes they don't and it might be reasonable to not be able to sneak attack.

It would be nice if the UI were more specific about why you can't sneak attack.

Redwyrm Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dexai

That would make sense for characters with normal sight. However darkvision negates "heavily obscured" condition, impaired by low light.
And Astarion, been an elf AND a vampire (spawn) should have 60ft. drakvision.

Here is another example:

So it is less than 60ft. to the target...

Yet game insist that target still heavily obscured.

Btw precentage of hit DID get up once Astarion managed to sneak. Meaning game calculating advantage at least for attack roll. Yet for sneak attack thinks there is still disadvantage.

Last edited by Redwyrm; 26/10/21 01:53 PM.
old hand
old hand
Astarion has 40ft/12m darkvision.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I've used sneak attack over and over in the same fight attacking and backing off hiding then they do nothing cause thy can't find me so I do it again until everyone is dead and I haven't even been attacked

Link Copied to Clipboard