Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Lumign Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L
Yes I understand that since they are "better" than a normal attack, you intended so that ppl won't abuse it to death.

But still, I really don't see why and how I can only use a SIMPLE combat move only ONCE before short rests.

What you should do is either:
- allow multiple use with charges, like Fighter's superiority die
- balance the skills, per example :
penalty to attack roll, penalty to damage roll, AC reduction, require both Action + Bonus Action, failing attack makes you unbalanced, etc...

What I mean is... Just 1 use per weapon is... erm... stupid?

Last edited by Lumign; 28/10/21 08:20 AM.
veteran
veteran
+1 to balancing the skills via a penalty instead of a per/short rest limit.
E.g., you can attempt to cleave, but the attacks are made at disadvantage.
You can charge, but it a) uses (and requires) your full movement and b)provokes AoOs at Advantage.

These changes (as opposed to universal backstab & height Advantage) give more freedom & versatility to martial characters without stepping as much on the toes of the Battlemaster, as the BM can do these things without the penalty and adding extra superiority die damage.

C
addict
addict
C
+1 as well, excellent suggestion.

C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
... as the BM can do these things ...

Hopefully without derailing the the thread... big oof... BM must mean something very different for you than it does for me laugh

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
+1 to balancing the skills via a penalty instead of a per/short rest limit.
Theoretically that would be good, but I don't have faith in Larian balancing abilities. It tricky to create drawback strong enough to not make the skill always desirable but mild enough to make the skill useless. Going for a simple enhancement but limited use is just... easier.

I personally think they are not limited enough - I am unlikely to use them until I encounter tough fight, but if I do encounter tough fight I am likely to short rest after.

veteran
veteran
I'd love to be able to use those weapon skills at will.
Weapons actions should be things you could describe when playing the TT.

Charge, cleave, pommel attack, topple, send dust in their eyes and so on... Of course to use them at will, they should be balanced with regular attacks.

Bonus actions : NO
Full damages + additionnal effects without any penalty : NO
New conditions that doesn't make sense : NO
Spend your distance to make additonnal damages : NO

Topple to inflict prone (no damages) : YES
Pommel strike to inflict stunned (1d4 damages) : YES
Flourish to feint an attack to distract the ennemy. The next ally attacking this target have an advantage. (no damages) : YES
Cleave to attack 3 targets at full damage but you gain 1 level of exhaustion : YES
Weakening Strike to target an enemy's hands with a non-lethal attack to give disadvantage on its Attack Rolls. (Normal damages divided by 2) : YES
Harmstring shot to possibly reduce the ennemy's speed by 2 (Normal damages divided by 2) : YES
Charge to rush an ennemy and attack with +2 to your attack roll but having -1 AC until your next turn : YES

Exemples, of course. But this is definitely the kind of things you could do every turn IF YOU WISH. It looks more or less balanced.
And it offer us a lot more options depending the situation and how we like to play.

I also think that those attacks should not be linked to ONE weapon, but to a group of weapon. Charge should be available for all weapons. Pommel strike could be for most weapons. Flourish for all 1 handed weapons.
Give us more possibilities and tactical choices to spend our actions, but please let DnD do what DnD does with bonus actions and conditions.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 28/10/21 06:15 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I'd love to be able to use those weapon skills at will.
Weapons actions should be things you could describe when playing the TT.

Charge, cleave, pommel attack, topple, send dust in their eyes and so on... Of course to use them at will, they should be balanced with regular attacks.

Bonus actions : NO
Full damages + additionnal effects without any penalty : NO
New conditions that doesn't make sense : NO
Spend your distance to make additonnal damages : NO

Topple to inflict prone (no damages) : YES
Pommel strike to inflict stunned (1d4 damages) : YES
Flourish to feint an attack to distract the ennemy. The next ally attacking this target have an advantage. (no damages) : YES
Cleave to attack 3 targets at full damage but you gain 1 level of exhaustion : YES
Weakening Strike to target an enemy's hands with a non-lethal attack to give disadvantage on its Attack Rolls. (Normal damages divided by 2) : YES
Harmstring shot to possibly reduce the ennemy's speed by 2 (Normal damages divided by 2) : YES
Charge to rush an ennemy and attack with +2 to your attack roll but having -1 AC until your next turn : YES

Exemples, of course. But this is definitely the kind of things you could do every turn IF YOU WISH. It looks more or less balanced.
And it offer us a lot more options depending the situation and how we like to play.

I also think that those attacks should not be linked to ONE weapon, but to a group of weapon. Charge should be available for all weapons. Pommel strike could be for most weapons. Flourish for all 1 handed weapons.
Give us more possibilities and tactical choices to spend our actions, but please let DnD do what DnD does with bonus actions and conditions.

+1 !!!

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown

Link Copied to Clipboard