Next Thread
Print Thread
N
napkin Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
If you attack the patrol before speaking to them the dragon shouldn't disappear but instead murder your whole party.

The end.

veteran
veteran
+1! +1! +1!

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yep.

What I find even more confusing is the fact Mr dragon rider finds out you have the most important object in EVER! Then says to 4 random gith redshirts "kill these guys I need to take a dump and tell the boss we have succeeded". WhOoShhhh derp. Maybe stay around a bit to make sure maybe? Narrrr it will be fine.

N
napkin Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
Ya they need to rework this. As in he leaves before you talk to the petrol or something

addict
addict
Originally Posted by napkin
Ya they need to rework this. As in he leaves before you talk to the petrol or something

You really shouldn't talk to the oil patches on the ground, they are there to be lit on fire.

Sorry, I know it's a simple auto correct miss but I just had to insert a daddy joke

Last edited by PrivateRaccoon; 07/11/21 11:54 AM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
The fact that Kithraak leaves the task to his soldiers, shows how githyankis, especially him, underestimate the creatues of Faerun, specifically the player's party.
I think this fits rather well with their arrogance and thought of superior combat skills, a decision that he is going to regret later when he finds out that the player's party made short work of his kin.

veteran
veteran

I'm not against save scumming but I hate being forced to save scum. I'd hate this situation as much as I hate the game over you can have when you fail your rolls with the mindflayer playing with a single character.

Blame the dragon if this situation does not make sense.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 07/11/21 04:59 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

I'm not against save scumming but I hate being forced to save scum. I'd hate this situation as much as I hate the game over you can have when you fail your rolls with the mindflayer playing with a single character.

Blame the dragon if this situation does not make sense.
How are you being forced to save scum in OP's example? You chose to attack an enemy without first investigating their purpose or talking to them, and just after seeing a dragon fly directly overhead that (as a big warning) frightened your party members. If you attack everyone you see, then it's reasonable to sometimes face an enemy that's too powerful for you.

But I think that we just have irreconcilable opinions on this, as I loved the fact that you could get a game-over talking to the mindflayer. It's a video game, so a limited number of "Do something probably stupid? Die" situations are fine and add tension. As long as warnings are given (e.g., the name "Mind Flayer" along with the mid-dialogue warnings of mental danger)

I also wouldn't categorize either as "save scumming." Save scumming implies reloading until you get an optimal result, but in both of these cases you're just reloading after dying, like in any other game with save states.

Originally Posted by Sewata
The fact that Kithraak leaves the task to his soldiers, shows how githyankis, especially him, underestimate the creatues of Faerun, specifically the player's party.
I think this fits rather well with their arrogance and thought of superior combat skills, a decision that he is going to regret later when he finds out that the player's party made short work of his kin.

Good point, actually! Maybe for clarification, he could say it out loud (or Lae'sel could) but it does make sense.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sewata

I disagree.

I get that he would trust his crew to do a lot of things.

But this isn't just a thing. It's *the* weapon that they're looking for. It makes no sense that he would leave right when he's found the weapon. Even if he sat back in his arrogance and allowed his underlings to get the weapon, he still wouldn't leave. He'd watch, and then he'd quickly realize that he needed to step in.

Although he probably wouldn't watch either, judging from how he swooped in to take care of the flaming fist soldiers. He probably likes these kinds of engagements, relishing in the combat.

Regardless, he wouldn't leave. It's a plot device to give the characters a chance and to set up a villain. The problem is, it's too obvious that it's a plot device. It reminds you that you're playing a game and not inside of a story.

It's probably too late to fix, I don't know, but it's definitely an issue. I love this game. I think this game is awesome. But I can admit that this scene is flawed and could be improved.

Last edited by JandK; 07/11/21 07:04 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
He implies they are in possession of the weapon because they were on the nautiloid, but he never really gets the chance too see the weapon, or doesn't even hint to being able to read Lae'zel's mind.
He just thinks, they must be holding the weapon but he can not be sure of it either and for what is worth to him, killing them costs him nothing and if they reveal to not have what he seeks, they are just other casualities that fell in order to realize his queen's order.
I admit the scene could use some more polish, but I can also see why he is leaving.
Besides if he is to join the fight, we might encounter them at a higher level, with the actual possibility of defeating them.
Otherwise better to rework the scene completely, even though I don't find a major flaw in it as you do, not until we get to know more about kithraak's motivations and true intentions.
I can see where you are coming from, I think they need to make more clear the power of the artifact that the party is holding.

veteran
veteran
Honestly, the Kithrak leaving really makes no sense. He wants the weapon and thinks our party has it. By leaving and letting his patrol handle it, all he's doing, even if he has no doubt in his mind that his people can take it, is delaying the weapon arriving at its destination. His dragon could kill us within a minute or two, then he could get the weapon and have his moment of presenting it himself. Him leaving doesn't actually gain him anything. He even says that he's flying off to tell the queen that he's located the weapon. Wouldn't it be better if he brought her the weapon so no one has to wait? I'm fine with things in stories not making perfect logical sense, but I can't really find an angle to think about his actions that makes any sense at all.

veteran
veteran
They wanted to show off the Red Dragon to a level 1-4 party and look what a great scene that turned out to be.

Any sensible party would wait for the Dragon to leave before going down there, but that's not even an option.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JandK
It's probably too late to fix, I don't know, but it's definitely an issue. I love this game. I think this game is awesome. But I can admit that this scene is flawed and could be improved.
Is it?
I mean most of the situation can stay exactly as it is ... all you need to implement is extermination whole party in case they reveal to Kith'rak that they were on Nautiloid and/or poses the weapon he seeks.

In case you suceed in your conversation rolls ... Kithrak leave thinking that you will be working for him, satisfied that he will use you as he see fit ... and rest of the patrol leaves.

In case you fail in your conversations rolls ... Kithrak leave thinking that he just let his man to slaughter insignificant bunch of nobodies, that would only slow him in his sacred mission ... and rest of the patrol attacks.

Is there any other outcome?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Is it?
I mean most of the situation can stay exactly as it is ... all you need to implement is extermination whole party in case they reveal to Kith'rak that they were on Nautiloid and/or poses the weapon he seeks.

In case you suceed in your conversation rolls ... Kithrak leave thinking that you will be working for him, satisfied that he will use you as he see fit ... and rest of the patrol leaves.

In case you fail in your conversations rolls ... Kithrak leave thinking that he just let his man to slaughter insignificant bunch of nobodies, that would only slow him in his sacred mission ... and rest of the patrol attacks.

Is there any other outcome?

I don't know what the development team is capable of at this hour.

I think the "fix" should be that the Kithrak doesn't assume they have the weapon. The Kithrak can mention they're looking for a weapon, but he shouldn't assume the party has that weapon.

He should order that the party be killed because they're infected, not because they have the artifact. I'd accept him leaving if the weapon weren't on the table, if it was just about trusting his underlings to kill the party because they're infected.

I don't understand the need for him to think the party has the weapon. If that's something he *needs* to know for the plot to work, I think it's something he should figure out after the encounter, not during the encounter.

S
stranger
stranger
S
This I agree

veteran
veteran
I don't know what the development team is capable of at this hour.

I think the "fix" should be that the Kithrak doesn't assume they have the weapon. The Kithrak can mention they're looking for a weapon, but he shouldn't assume the party has that weapon.

He should order that the party be killed because they're infected, not because they have the artifact. I'd accept him leaving if the weapon weren't on the table, if it was just about trusting his underlings to kill the party because they're infected.

I don't understand the need for him to think the party has the weapon. If that's something he *needs* to know for the plot to work, I think it's something he should figure out after the encounter, not during the encounter.
Sounds odd ...
Sory but that Nautiloid is the only lead he have right now, its totally logical he asume that you could have the artefact he seeks. :-/

If you let Lae'zel talk and she talks the truth, he believes her that she does not have the weapon ...
But he ordered her decapitation anyway, since she is infected.

That is the only outcome that makes sence ...
Even if you will claim that you dont have the weapon, i cant imagine something so smug and proud as Kith'rak to take word of "lowly commoner" laugh

addict
addict
yes +1 so i can murder that weakling and his pet.

The patrol is hardly a bump in challenge as is... It's a cake walk if you use every resource and a mildly harder if you DM yourself and do not use high ground and consumables.

N
napkin Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
I just hope the game punishes cheese strats

Link Copied to Clipboard