Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
I'm happy to see Larian has been working so hard on this game. These latest updates have been great and brought much of a surprise. The added features are polishing this gem nicely. There are still some things I think BG3 really needs before launch however. In no particular order:

1. A real pause button. Yes you can switch to turn mode but if my family needs me or something happens at home and I need to step away for a minute, I would like a real way to pause immediately.
2. Jumping and Dash are both over the top and need their animations redone. With jumping it may just be the huge thud upon landing that needs to be dialed down. For Dash it is comical to see characters waving their arms in the air before running forward like some kind of lunatics. It's like those really bad animations of Legolas in The Hobbit 3.
3. Alignment and Deity for character creation. This is imperative for roleplaying and should be reflected in dialogue. True it has no gameplay mechanic for anyone other than divine spellcasters but it is a huge part of a character's backstory, especially in Forgotten Realms where the gods play an active role in the lives of people there. This can have important impacts on the story. My character is a Ranger of Selune and it's strange that doesn't come up at all in dialogue choices given the setting and characters.
4. Weapons, especially 2 handed swords are scaled too large. The handles look like a baseball bat and are as thick as Lae'Zel's wrist. I don't know how she is supposed to wield one at all. They look kind of silly on a character's back.
5. A codex which journals things you find like books, lore, creatures and places you discover. Right now books serve no real purpose. Maybe these could come up in skill checks for knowledge during conversation or interacting with the world. Like "Oh, blue dragons prefer to live in the desert. I read that in a book I found!"
6. Further character customization. Right now these are the most downloaded mods for BG3. Currently the customization is not bad, but it could be expanded upon greatly which many people would enjoy.
7. Loot needs to be redone. The mod "Enhanced Gear Progression" does it best by adding all generic +0/+1/+2 weapons & armors from the files into treasure tables, including splint & plate armors and new weapon types. Currently, the armor you steal off of Lae'zel rivals the best armors the game has in EA. If you pick a fighter, then the armor you start with is only 1 AC away from that. Heavy armor proficiency is only good for a 16 AC Chain Mail at best. Yes we know this is may only be true in EA but am hoping these fixes are implemented eventually.

What are some changes you are hoping to see make their way into BG3 for the full release?

addict
addict
I thought 5e removed alignment?

or is it just for creatures? Was something something racism something something stereotypes.

Originally Posted by Endlessdescent
I'm happy to see Larian has been working so hard on this game. These latest updates have been great and brought much of a surprise. The added features are polishing this gem nicely. There are still some things I think BG3 really needs before launch however. In no particular order:

1. A real pause button. Yes you can switch to turn mode but if my family needs me or something happens at home and I need to step away for a minute, I would like a real way to pause immediately.
2. Jumping and Dash are both over the top and need their animations redone. With jumping it may just be the huge thud upon landing that needs to be dialed down. For Dash it is comical to see characters waving their arms in the air before running forward like some kind of lunatics. It's like those really bad animations of Legolas in The Hobbit 3.
3. Alignment and Deity for character creation. This is imperative for roleplaying and should be reflected in dialogue. True it has no gameplay mechanic for anyone other than divine spellcasters but it is a huge part of a character's backstory, especially in Forgotten Realms where the gods play an active role in the lives of people there. This can have important impacts on the story. My character is a Ranger of Selune and it's strange that doesn't come up at all in dialogue choices given the setting and characters.
4. Weapons, especially 2 handed swords are scaled too large. The handles look like a baseball bat and are as thick as Lae'Zel's wrist. I don't know how she is supposed to wield one at all. They look kind of silly on a character's back.
5. A codex which journals things you find like books, lore, creatures and places you discover. Right now books serve no real purpose. Maybe these could come up in skill checks for knowledge during conversation or interacting with the world. Like "Oh, blue dragons prefer to live in the desert. I read that in a book I found!"
6. Further character customization. Right now these are the most downloaded mods for BG3. Currently the customization is not bad, but it could be expanded upon greatly which many people would enjoy.
7. Loot needs to be redone. The mod "Enhanced Gear Progression" does it best by adding all generic +0/+1/+2 weapons & armors from the files into treasure tables, including splint & plate armors and new weapon types. Currently, the armor you steal off of Lae'zel rivals the best armors the game has in EA. If you pick a fighter, then the armor you start with is only 1 AC away from that. Heavy armor proficiency is only good for a 16 AC Chain Mail at best. Yes we know this is may only be true in EA but am hoping these fixes are implemented eventually.
What are some changes you are hoping to see make their way into BG3 for the full release?

I agree.

01 - When not in multiplayer, there's no reason for the game to not be able to be paused.
02 - I like the superhero-like animations, but I do think that there should be more realistic ones.
03 - I'd rather see a changing alignment system more like Fallout, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect, etc. than a set alignment choice, unless they make each alignment interesting enough to choose.
04 - Haven't noticed that.
05 - I'd also like books to give bonuses like Skill increases, spells and more damage or defense against creatures.
06 - There's a lot that I'd like to see added, such as weight, height, muscle, posture and tattoos/scars for body and face.
Sliders to adjust those and face features would greatly improve and diversify character creation.
07 - Loot does feel somewhat lackluster at the moment, but I'm not sure that throwing equipment everywhere is a great solution, since it might devalue the loot found in some difficult to get to areas.

Originally Posted by Imora DalSyn
I thought 5e removed alignment?

or is it just for creatures? Was something something racism something something stereotypes.

This is the only thing that I could find:
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/diversity-and-dnd
https://gamerant.com/dungeons-dragons-dnd-5e-evil-races-changes/

As far as I can tell, 5e still has the usual alignments, but racial moral alignments are supposed to have been removed.
So, I guess that races that used to always be evil have more diversity.

Last edited by EliasIncarnation; 05/11/21 08:19 AM.
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by EliasIncarnation
01 - When not in multiplayer, there's no reason for the game to not be able to be paused.
02 - I like the superhero-like animations, but I do think that there should be more realistic ones.
03 - I'd rather see a changing alignment system more like Fallout, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect, etc. than a set alignment choice, unless they make each alignment interesting enough to choose.
04 - Haven't noticed that.
05 - I'd also like books to give bonuses like Skill increases, spells and more damage or defense against creatures.
06 - There's a lot that I'd like to see added, such as weight, height, muscle, posture and tattoos/scars for body and face.
Sliders to adjust those and face features would greatly improve and diversify character creation.
07 - Loot does feel somewhat lackluster at the moment, but I'm not sure that throwing equipment everywhere is a great solution, since it might devalue the loot found in some difficult to get to areas.
+1 This really sounds interesting ... especialy 03

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict
In a lot of games I've played over the years the alignment you pick is just a starting alignment. Your actions can shift it. This includes tabletop games.

So number 3 isn't really a problem unless Larian made it a problem by making it rigid. Besides, paladins picking evil choices just seems wrong. Back in the day, your god would just say "nope, seeya, I'm out". There should be repercussions to making choices.

Loot is fine, for the most part. Low level parties aren't going to find amazing items.

Wrath of the Righteous has an interesting thing where certain books will teach you new things. Like small bonus abilities such as competence bonuses and sneak attack damage(https://www.neoseeker.com/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/guides/Important_Books).

I'd like to see slider adjustments for faces in character creation. Nothing overly over the top, but I'd still like to make my elves look a little more fail and delicate instead of this frail body with human heads monstrosity we got going on.

C
stranger
stranger
C
First I agree with points 1, 3, 5 & 6. 2 & 4 don't mind either way, but 7 I disagree with. Unless Larian needs to test an equipment Mechanic, there no need to put more gear in game during EA. When the game goes full release I want to more stuff available in the first act, so as to reward and differentiate Act 1 from EA act 1, I'd go so far as to swap out and change locations of the cool and interesting gear, to make the gaming experience new and mysterious.

Anyway, what I want to see coming up in the near future.
1. LvL 5 - yes everyone wants it, so do I, doesn't make it wrong though.
2. Bard Class - my favourite class, so no favouritism here noooooo.
3. Having full access to the character backgrounds at character creation.
4. Having full access to all the sub-classes for the already released classes
5. An option to skip the Intro level on the mindflayer ship, its got boring and I want to enjoy it once more when the game goes full release.
6. Gnome and Half-Orc races being added to character creation.

6. Not for EA or first release but as DLC, I want Larian to develop alternate starting points in their game world according to the characters alignment. Even if its just good, neutral and evil. Its one serious weakness of DnD 5e that alignment doesn't play a major part in the game and I'd like Larian to do something about that as time goes on. Oh and the other bugbear of mine, performance does naff all for bards. So silly in 5e. So can Larian talk to W.O.Z about allowing Bards use performance as part of their class buffs in BG3 please?

Last edited by Carramber; 05/11/21 02:25 PM.
Besides, paladins picking evil choices just seems wrong. Back in the day, your god would just say "nope, seeya, I'm out". There should be repercussions to making choices.

The Classes seem to be a lot more ambiguous now, but I agree that there should be repercussions to making choices that don't align with a character.
If a Paladin or Cleric is serving an evil/good deity, and they do good/evil things, there should be some negative effect like a temporary inability to use spells or reduced stats.
Likewise for Warlocks who ignore their patrons, and Druids who harm nature.

Doing what a deity or patron wants or protecting and healing nature should give bonuses.

Loot is fine, for the most part. Low level parties aren't going to find amazing items.
Originally Posted by Carramber
First I agree with points 1, 3, 5 & 6. 2 & 4 don't mind either way, but 7 I disagree with. Unless Larian needs to test an equipment Mechanic, there no need to put more gear in game during EA. When the game goes full release I want to more stuff available in the first act, so as to reward and differentiate Act 1 from EA act 1, I'd go so far as to swap out and change locations of the cool and interesting gear, to make the gaming experience new and mysterious.

Unlocking an expensive-looking chest just to find common equipment, some mediocre scrolls and a trifling amount of gold isn't very exciting.
There's a problem with loot when things like that happen often.
Also, I think it's been mentioned before, but there are too many empty or nearly empty containers.

Having better loot and placement of loot in Early Access might lead to less disappointing loot in later acts.
The benefits of testing aren't limited to mechanics after all.

Originally Posted by Carramber
Anyway, what I want to see coming up in the near future.
1. LvL 5 - yes everyone wants it, so do I, doesn't make it wrong though.
2. Bard Class - my favourite class, so no favouritism here noooooo.
3. Having full access to the character backgrounds at character creation.
4. Having full access to all the sub-classes for the already released classes
5. An option to skip the Intro level on the mindflayer ship, its got boring and I want to enjoy it once more when the game goes full release.
6. Gnome and Half-Orc races being added to character creation.

6. Not for EA or first release but as DLC, I want Larian to develop alternate starting points in their game world according to the characters alignment. Even if its just good, neutral and evil. Its one serious weakness of DnD 5e that alignment doesn't play a major part in the game and I'd like Larian to do something about that as time goes on. Oh and the other bugbear of mine, performance does naff all for bards. So silly in 5e. So can Larian talk to W.O.Z about allowing Bards use performance as part of their class buffs in BG3 please?

01-04/06 - It would make sense for them to add all of the levels, Classes, Sub-classes and Multi/Dual-classing in Early Access for balancing and bug-fixing.
05 - I agree.
An option to go through an interactive comic where you make key choices like what was done for Mass Effect would also be nice.
07 - I could see that being possible, but I'd rather it not be DLC.
On the topic of DLC, I really hope that they make an expansion pack in an area that's unrelated to the quests and characters in the game, instead of making equipment, cosmetic, feature and cheat DLCs.
08 - For Larian changing Bards, haven't they already made a lot of things different from 5e?

Last edited by EliasIncarnation; 05/11/21 07:50 PM.
addict
addict
All the chests look fancy. Boxes don't. Chests maybe could use more expensive vendor fodder, but you're not going to get amazing gear even Ina TT game at that level. You're lucky to have a full set of +1 gear at lvl 4 in every campaign I've ever played.

All the chests look fancy. Boxes don't. Chests maybe could use more expensive vendor fodder, but you're not going to get amazing gear even Ina TT game at that level. You're lucky to have a full set of +1 gear at lvl 4 in every campaign I've ever played.

I don't think that there should be powerful equipment in every chest, but there should be more interesting loot in chests.
There should probably also be more equipment designs, even if the equipment isn't very different in stats.
Barrels and boxes should probably have more food, crafting ingredients and tools.

addict
addict
I'd go for gemstones and stuff, among other things. More of them or more expensive ones.

And maybe you shouldn't be able to take lae's armor. If you're wearing armor and not using her to tank, it makes every other armor redundant. Gives them an opportunity to add more diverse styles that get used.

I'd go for gemstones and stuff, among other things. More of them or more expensive ones.

And maybe you shouldn't be able to take lae's armor. If you're wearing armor and not using her to tank, it makes every other armor redundant. Gives them an opportunity to add more diverse styles that get used.

I wonder if it would be better for them to not give equipment to the player and companions on the Nautiloid aside from robes or something, and they'd have to use whatever they find on the ship.
The first cutscene would have to be remade if they did that, but it might help to solve the armor progression problem without making it not make sense.

Last edited by EliasIncarnation; 06/11/21 03:49 PM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
I have been frustrated with the inability to split inventory in the traveler's chest nor pick it up in my inventory if I can't split it there. I have 13 backpacks of food that are unusable because I can't pick them up!

old hand
old hand
Alt+Drag the item to an empty inventory space.

Or is the issue that one can't open the backpacks while they're in a container?

Optimistically Apocalyptic
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Endlessdescent

+1 to everything you said. I also want to add that I feel like the characters get encumbered too fast, Maybe increasing the amount you a carry a little more. For example if your character is only clothing armor instead of carrying 70, they can carry 100 weight, light armor 120, medium armor 140 and heavy armor 160 before you are actually encumbered.

Originally Posted by Kamala Azur
I have been frustrated with the inability to split inventory in the traveler's chest nor pick it up in my inventory if I can't split it there. I have 13 backpacks of food that are unusable because I can't pick them up!
Originally Posted by Dexai
Alt+Drag the item to an empty inventory space.

Or is the issue that one can't open the backpacks while they're in a container?

I think that it's actually Left Shift by default.
Also, I think the item can be dragged to spaces that aren't empty, but empty or not, what's important is that it's dragged to a space that's in the same window.

As for opening backpacks in containers, you just have to open the Context Menu (Right-Click by default) on a backpack and select "Open".

Last edited by EliasIncarnation; 09/11/21 07:01 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard