Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I would also like to be able to eat food for out of combat healing--and for short rests to not require food. It would just make for more interesting trade-offs.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Imryll
I would also like to be able to eat food for out of combat healing--and for short rests to not require food. It would just make for more interesting trade-offs.

Yes, I agree.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by EliasIncarnation
Originally Posted by PrivateRaccoon
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by GM4Him
+1

Now coffee... That should heal instantly.
But we would need to roll a skillcheck to brew it. If you under extract it, you take acid damage instead.

As our character levels up he/she will accept only more and more expensive coffee from only top Baldur’s Gate roasters.

+1

And if a NPC tries to sell us a cup of "eXpresso", we should get the option to outright slay that character on the spot without anyone holding grudges against us. After all, we just did the universe a favor. ( I work with hospitality and have had it with people mispronouncing "espresso", can you tell?)

I don't know why people would be upset about that.
"Caffe espresso" is just "expressed coffee" in Italian.

Well. in Italy, they mostly just say caffè since espresso is the most common type of the beverage. So Caffe espresso would either mean they want to specify what they want or that they want a cup of espresso, fast.

Every Italian I've met have serious issues with the rest of the world mispronouncing common italian words like espresso, ciabatta, prosciutto, gelato, bruschetta etc. And I understand them. No one likes hearing their native language being tortured like that smile Ofc, everyone don't automatically know how to pronounce everything right but when you work in a business, hearing almost everyone do the same mistake, every day...you get a little "Patrick Bateman" :P

I usually avoid using food for healing in games with potions since potions are plentiful and heal more efficiently than food.
Unless ingredients are combined into a dish, it usually doesn't have as much of an effect as a potion, and even then it's less effective, so it's more work for less benefit.
However, it makes sense that way, as potions are meant to heal quickly and to a greater extent than food and rest.

If they buffed the food, potions wouldn't be as necessary, and if they buffed both, they could become unbalanced.
An alternative, I think, would be to have potions become less common, have food fuel Short Rests (rather than Long Rests) and have food that's eaten restore a good amount of health (comparable to potions) over time and give temporary bonuses (depending on the ingredient/dish) after that time passes.

Well. in Italy, they mostly just say caffè since espresso is the most common type of the beverage. So Caffe espresso would either mean they want to specify what they want or that they want a cup of espresso, fast.

Every Italian I've met have serious issues with the rest of the world mispronouncing common italian words like espresso, ciabatta, prosciutto, gelato, bruschetta etc. And I understand them. No one likes hearing their native language being tortured like that smile Ofc, everyone don't automatically know how to pronounce everything right but when you work in a business, hearing almost everyone do the same mistake, every day...you get a little "Patrick Bateman" :P

That's understandable.
However, their native language seems to be mostly borrowed and modified Latin.
In English, a lot of words are also borrowed and modified.
So, I don't think that people saying "expresso" instead of "espresso" is worth being upset about.

Using food for minor healing (or to supplement spells) doesn't require that the food heal as much as a potion to be a useful option--although it will be interesting to see whether Larian implements full-fledged cooking and alchemy as buff sources. Certainly the variety of ingredients suggests that at least at some point they expected to implement crafting.

veteran
veteran
I think all food items should come with a calorie count, and I think each of the characters should have the equivalent of a fitbit tracking system, so we can see how many calories they burn and thus need to eat for maintenance purposes.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Using food for minor healing (or to supplement spells) doesn't require that the food heal as much as a potion to be a useful option--although it will be interesting to see whether Larian implements full-fledged cooking and alchemy as buff sources. Certainly the variety of ingredients suggests that at least at some point they expected to implement crafting.

That's a cool idea as well. I would be fine with that.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by JandK
I think all food items should come with a calorie count, and I think each of the characters should have the equivalent of a fitbit tracking system, so we can see how many calories they burn and thus need to eat for maintenance purposes.

But, but, but...this is a place where I can eat all the cheese I want without getting fat. Don't take that away from me :P

addict
OP Offline
addict

Nice joke even though even though the Player Handbook mentions the need for food and water. Doesn't say anything about only during short or long rest.

Last edited by Lady Avyna; 09/11/21 07:24 PM.
addict
OP Offline
addict

But, but, but...this is a place where I can eat all the cheese I want without getting fat. Don't take that away from me :P

See Player Handbook page 185 subsection FOOD and WATER.

It's not in regards to healing after combat but it is for healing of some sort.

Last edited by Lady Avyna; 09/11/21 07:29 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Lady Avyna

??? What has that to do with my continuation of JandK's joke?

Now, if you feel that us making jokes is disrespecting you and your thread, I do apologize and will try to refrain from doing it in your threads again

veteran
veteran

Welcome to the Age of Glut!

addict
OP Offline
addict

??? What has that to do with my continuation of JandK's joke?

Now, if you feel that us making jokes is disrespecting you and your thread, I do apologize and will try to refrain from doing it in your threads again

I don't take offense to a joke but it seems my idea of asking for the consumption of food for whatever reason is a joke to you guys, even though the it's required in DnD. Maybe not for combat but for healing a character's exhaustion.

veteran
veteran
I don't take offense to a joke but it seems my idea of asking for the consumption of food for whatever reason is a joke to you guys, even though the it's required in DnD. Maybe not for combat but for healing a character's exhaustion.
So why not argue for food being used to restore (or prevent) exhaustion, instead of restore HP?
Originally Posted by PHB pg 185
Food and Water
Characters who don't eat or drink suffer the effects of exhaustion. Exhaustion caused by lack of food or water can't be removed until the character eats and drinks the full required amount.

Food
...A character can go without [1 lb of food per day] for a number of days equal to 3+ his or her Con modifier. At the end of each day beyond that limit, a character automatically suffers one level of exhaustion.

...etc
The section on food and water doesn't mention the effects of food and water on healing HP; it doesn't even say that food and water is required for short (using Hit Dice) and long resting (restoring your full HP). I suppose the 4th level of exhaustion does reduce your HP by half, so ~8-9 lbs of food kind of equals half of a character's max HP..?

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
So why not argue for food being used to restore (or prevent) exhaustion, instead of restore HP?
Food and Water
Characters who don't eat or drink suffer the effects of exhaustion. Exhaustion caused by lack of food or water can't be removed until the character eats and drinks the full required amount.

Food
...A character can go without [1 lb of food per day] for a number of days equal to 3+ his or her Con modifier. At the end of each day beyond that limit, a character automatically suffers one level of exhaustion.

...etc
The section on food and water doesn't mention the effects of food and water on healing HP; it doesn't even say that food and water is required for short (using Hit Dice) and long resting (restoring your full HP). I suppose the 4th level of exhaustion does reduce your HP by half, so ~8-9 lbs of food kind of equals half of a character's max HP..?

I don't mind if they implement food and water to relieve exhaustion. That's perfectly fine.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Food and Water

Food

...etc

I don't mind if they implement food and water to relieve exhaustion. That's perfectly fine.

Well. Then, and I know it's not what you're asking for, they could implement the exhaustion mechanic like Owlcat did with Pathfinder as a way to sign it's time for resting and, eating and drinking during the rest would solve that.

veteran
veteran
Again, of food heals without short rest, what is the point of short rest?

Everything has its unique purpose. Potions are magical and mend wounds. Food does not. Food is expected to help recover strength in conjunction with resting, mending armor, bandaging wounds. Short Rests = about an hour of time where characters mend armor, bandage wounds and recover some of their stamina and energy.

That is why you have short rests at all. If food alone fixes sword wounds, then just get rid of short rests. What do you need them for then?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
That is why you have short rests at all. If food alone fixes sword wounds, then just get rid of short rests. What do you need them for then?
I suppose people aren't satisfied with short rest, but IMO if that really is a problem, tinkering with effectiveness of short rests is a more sensible approach then adding an overlapping mechanic.

veteran
veteran
Which was why I proposed that food should be required for short rests, not just long rests. Take away the 2 Short Rest Limit and make it cost food.

Then, food heals between combat encounters, and you can recover special abilities like Menacing Attack and Second Wind and Warlock spells as much as you want, provided you pay the food cost.

But if the food cost is 1 Camping Supply per Character Level in your party, a party of 4 Level 4 characters would only cost 16 Camping Supplies per short rest. That's 32 for 2 Short Rests and 64 for 4. That's really not that bad when you get hundreds and hundreds of food and camping supplies in the game, and it now makes it a game and strategy to determine whether you are going to short rest again or long rest or just keep going. It also makes it so you have to determine whether you're going to keep more food with you on your party or not.

AND, if you make it so that you can choose which characters will actually Short Rest, meaning not everyone has to necessarily recover HP per Short Rest, then it would require even fewer Camping Supplies per Short Rest. Maybe only 1 character needs some HP. That would be only 4 Camping Supplies. Maybe 2 need it. That would be only 8.

Then everything has its unique purpose and has meaning. Potions heal during combat, as well as spells. Between combat, you can heal via food during Short Rest.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard