I've seen a bunch of discussions on how to kill the torturer, the two guards and two rangers, etc. Even participated in some of them. But I don't recall one obvious technique for an easy start to the game mentioned at all - perhaps because it was introduced by a very recent patch (1.44 I believe).

Paradoxically the way to an easier game is to play on the most difficult setting. Contrary to expectation (and to most other CRPGs) this does NOT make you weaker or the enemies tougher. What it does is duplicate enemies in many spots so you fight twice as many.

I do not find rats all that difficult. I find double the number of rats easy as well. Whack a rat, it runs. Then wahck the other one. As it runs, whack the one returning. Not a problem.

The extra rats get you to level 3 by the time you reach Feargus. This makes a huge difference. Plus you often get extra skill points at this difficulty setting. Don't fight the ghosts - just head to the battleground as soon as you can. You should be able to clear it even with twice the enemies, and you get more loot and xp so you are at least two levels higher than you should be for the main dungeon, and seriously rich for this stage of the game. My last party of 2 mages with strength of about 2 had no problems doing what I'm describing and they never cast a spell - they just used shortswords sharpened with skill of 5. Didn't die a single time through the BG. warriors or survivors would have had it even easier.

Once you are sick and tired of double combats, or if it ever gets too challenging, turn it back down to your preferred difficulty level (this is what is new - the ability to switch in the middle of the game).

Reality is for those who cannot cope with fantasy. Fortunately, I can cope quite well.