Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#799426 09/11/21 07:46 AM
JandK Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
We first come across Soul Coins in the crypt before we reach the grove. Therein, we find three Soul Coins. Astarion is inspired.

But oddly we don't get to roll to know what a Soul Coin is until we're in the grove, after having dealt with the bugbear assassin. Does this feel like it's out of order to anyone else?

Another thing... the scene with the tiefling makes the Soul Coins sound *very* valuable, much more so than what the vendors are willing to pay. So obviously my character wants to hang on to them for a while. I assume they're going to be useful in the game after Act 1 because there's not really much to do with them right now.

Though it does create a bit of confusion with the Raphael scene. That usually triggers for me after getting the Soul Coin from the bugbear assassin scene. I'm told about the value of the Soul Coin and how devils trade in such currency... then a devil shows up. I immediately figure it has to be about the Soul Coin, right? But the coin never even gets mentioned. When they're brainstorming what Raphael might want, Tav doesn't even speculate that he may have been after the Soul Coin.

I feel like these two plot elements aren't meshing together well at the moment.

JandK #799453 09/11/21 10:15 AM
veteran
veteran
Soul Coin value varies from person to person ...
Its just physical manifestation of someones soul ... therefore while devil would probably concider it REALLY *very* valuable ... it have little to none uses for regular vendors, and therefore they dont give you so much. wink

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
JandK #799463 09/11/21 10:41 AM
old hand
old hand
Magical weapons have little use to merchants as well except as sales to people who want them. Same goes for soul coins. They're not just valuable to fiends, but also people who deal with fiends such as magi.

If the game economy at all respected opportunity, supply, and demand one might make an argument that the merchants we have in-game would not pay much for coins because they don't have any wizards nearby who would buy them in turn. But then they also shouldn't buy whatever spare loot we throw at them that they alsodon't have any salesdemand for. Since that's not true for any other item, it shouldn't be for soul coins either.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
JandK #799512 09/11/21 03:44 PM
I didn't find the soul coins in the ruins before the latest patch, although I may just have overlooked them. Anyway, I wondered whether their presence represented some sort of burial for the owners of the souls.

As for things being out of order, I believe some folks head straight for the grove instead of clearing the ruins first, so there may not be a "right" place to explain their value. I can't remember whether or not the first copy of the soul coin book was in the ruins.

Imryll #799517 09/11/21 04:15 PM
JandK Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Imryll
I didn't find the soul coins in the ruins before the latest patch, although I may just have overlooked them. Anyway, I wondered whether their presence represented some sort of burial for the owners of the souls.

As for things being out of order, I believe some folks head straight for the grove instead of clearing the ruins first, so there may not be a "right" place to explain their value. I can't remember whether or not the first copy of the soul coin book was in the ruins.

Yes, Soul Coins were in the crypt before Patch 6.

I would bet that most people go through the crypt before hitting the grove. Sure, someone may do it in a different order, but when you're looking at the way things are structured, the most you can do is follow the most natural order. The crypt comes before the grove. So it's weird to get three Soul Coins, then get to the grove, get a fourth Soul Coin and suddenly make a roll to figure out what they are, as if this is the first time you've gotten one in the game.

It's clearly out of order. It feels "off," and I think that makes it worthwhile feedback.

Not to mention the confusion issue that comes up with Raphael, which is also worth mentioning as feedback. The correlation between getting the Soul Coin and then the devil showing up probably didn't feel so obvious in development as it does during play.

JandK #801509 22/11/21 01:37 AM
G
stranger
stranger
G
I have one major desire for the soul coins -

I want to be able to at least attempt to trade in soul coins for the tiefling being hunted by the paladins. If the issue is that a soul is owed, would not the currency of Avernus be the perfect solution for a character who understands its worth, and desires to resolve the situation without fighting or letting it clear itself?

JandK #801518 22/11/21 02:29 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I found the druid grove before the crypt (in my first playthru anyway).

Also, I am pretty sure meeting Nettie is the trigger for Raphael, not the bugbear.

But your example is definitely valid. Things like this are confusing. I wish there were more books lying around. Or more team comments to offer some background when you find certain things…or wisdom/history checks, etc. Would help any order you play feel like the “right” order.

Last edited by timebean; 22/11/21 02:30 AM.
JandK #801519 22/11/21 02:32 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Soul coins in 5e Phb can give buffs a certain amount of times before the soul is released and depending on the soul can also offer insight into the real world like treasure spots, dungeon locations etc. The soul in the coin is unable to lie but cannot answer questions its living person did not experience. I think these coins could add some decent side quests in implemented correctly. They are quite a useful item in D&D. They are obviously used in the hells to trade for powerful items, favors and a bunch of other things.

I wonder if we will be able to return to the hells? That would be pretty cool expansion I guess.

Link Copied to Clipboard