Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#799851 10/11/21 09:34 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Be nice if there was a spell or wand called something like "illuminate" that automatically lights all torches etc. in a given area. Could even be a long lost ritual spell or something found in the tomb with the vague skelleman resurrecting geezer in it. Currently "light" or improved darkvision just isn't good enough.

Improved darkvision = midday in pitch darkness. Drow cannot see in the light but I understand the tadpole did it.

addict
addict
guess that could be cool, as long as it's a leveled spell since it's better than Light. And not always useful compared to Darkvision (rooms without possible light sources etc) so it doesn't content with that.

Question, should it be able to surprise our opponents? I mean, I would get guite freaked out if all the candles/torches around me suddenly burst into flame.

veteran
veteran
Hmmmm, I feel like a I recently played a crpg with a cantrip that illuminated multiple torches at once... XD

But yeah +1. It's a QoL thing. In tabletop you can just say "I go around lighting all torches" but in a video game having to manually click each torch is needless tedium.

I suppose being able to light multiple distant torches could make a mechanical difference in combat, but if it's an action then it's not that much more powerful than Light or Dancing Lights cantrips... Or it could just be usable it outside of combat only.

Last edited by mrfuji3; 10/11/21 10:17 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Hmmmm, I feel like a I recently played a crpg with a cantrip that illuminated multiple torches at once... XD

But yeah +1. It's a QoL thing. In tabletop you can just say "I go around lighting all torches" but in a video game having to manually click each torch is needless tedium.

I suppose being able to light multiple distant torches could make a mechanical difference in combat, but if it's an action then it's not that much more powerful than Light or Dancing Lights cantrips... Or it could just be usable it outside of combat only.

I guess, to balance it(don't know how to solve the technical part) it could use a spell slot in combat but not outside of it, like a ritual cast or something.

addict
addict
Oh, in the category of "let's homebrew spells to improve quality-of-life" :

• Hex.
    Please Larian, remove the choice of which Ability Score we want to curse. We mostly use Hex for damage during combat, where the curse is an afterthought. Indeed, the rare Ability Checks (emphasis on Ability Check, not Saving Throw) that characters in combat would do are Strength (plus possibly Dexterity, Athletics or Acrobatics), in order to shove, or try to break free from Entangle or Web.
    I'm sure there would be Stealth/Perception as well in tabletop, but Hiding is such a joke in BG3 that I'd rather not even think about it.

So, while a rule like "BG3's Hex curses all Ability Checks" would, strictly speaking, be a buff compared to 5E's Hex, I feel it would make little difference. And it would make using Hex a lot smoother to use.

Note that alternatives could be "BG3's Hex curses all physical Ability Checks", or "BG3's Hex curses all Strength Checks" (these would, strictly speaking, be minor nerfs). I'm fine with any such rule. So long as I'm not asked to choose an Ability Score at random every time I cast Hex.

I feel like introducing the symmetric list of "let's UN-homebrew spells to improve quality-of-life". My entry here would be :

• Bless.
    Please Larian, remove the Area Of Effect and let us choose the targets of Bless, as per 5E rules. I don't like having to re-arrange the position of my companions, or play the game of find-the-good-centre-point, in order to actually grant Bless to those party members I want to Bless.
    Or, you know what ? Just homebrew Bless in the buffing direction, and make it affect all allies of the caster within a certain radius. Yes, not needing to spend a level 2 spell slot to buff everyone is stronger. But it's not as if granting +2/-2 simply for elevation is not giving away buffs for free in BG3 either, so why not ? In for a penny, in for a pound ...

veteran
veteran
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by mrfuji3
I would actually very much like spell like that, and with Larian's AOE aiming system they use for bless, rather then having to individually aim each light source.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by PrivateRaccoon
guess that could be cool, as long as it's a leveled spell since it's better than Light. And not always useful compared to Darkvision (rooms without possible light sources etc) so it doesn't content with that.

Question, should it be able to surprise our opponents? I mean, I would get guite freaked out if all the candles/torches around me suddenly burst into flame.

I was more thinking of a once per short rest wand or out of combat ritual as to not add any gameplay elements other than to be able to search the room after a fight. Considering you can only cast "light" on one source at a time which is odd to me as it isn't a concentration spell like dancing lights. Normally I just cast firebolt on the torches but it gets tedious.

Light and dancing lights can be cast in combat situations where this spell could not.

EDIT: Thinking about it maybe you could have a "light multiple sources" option on fire bolt ot auto target them as you would in the tabletop?

Last edited by Soul-Scar; 10/11/21 10:57 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
Oh, in the category of "let's homebrew spells to improve quality-of-life" :

• Hex.
    Please Larian, remove the choice of which Ability Score we want to curse. We mostly use Hex for damage during combat, where the curse is an afterthought. Indeed, the rare Ability Checks (emphasis on Ability Check, not Saving Throw) that characters in combat would do are Strength (plus possibly Dexterity, Athletics or Acrobatics), in order to shove, or try to break free from Entangle or Web.
    I'm sure there would be Stealth/Perception as well in tabletop, but Hiding is such a joke in BG3 that I'd rather not even think about it.

So, while a rule like "BG3's Hex curses all Ability Checks" would, strictly speaking, be a buff compared to 5E's Hex, I feel it would make little difference. And it would make using Hex a lot smoother to use.

Note that alternatives could be "BG3's Hex curses all physical Ability Checks", or "BG3's Hex curses all Strength Checks" (these would, strictly speaking, be minor nerfs). I'm fine with any such rule. So long as I'm not asked to choose an Ability Score at random every time I cast Hex.

I feel like introducing the symmetric list of "let's UN-homebrew spells to improve quality-of-life". My entry here would be :

• Bless.
    Please Larian, remove the Area Of Effect and let us choose the targets of Bless, as per 5E rules. I don't like having to re-arrange the position of my companions, or play the game of find-the-good-centre-point, in order to actually grant Bless to those party members I want to Bless.
    Or, you know what ? Just homebrew Bless in the buffing direction, and make it affect all allies of the caster within a certain radius. Yes, not needing to spend a level 2 spell slot to buff everyone is stronger. But it's not as if granting +2/-2 simply for elevation is not giving away buffs for free in BG3 either, so why not ? In for a penny, in for a pound ...

As for bless I agree with you. It's a QoL change simple as that. But for Hex, hmmm...I understand it's tedious but at the same time I wouldn't want them to take a way the player agency in this case. So I guess I would vote for your first suggestion or make an alteration of your second in that "unless another ability is actively chosen, the curse will always lower Strength Checks"
the problem with my suggestion is that currently, unless we complete the choice command order (click on spell, choose level) we can't cast the spell, and I guess that would go for Hex as well.

Link Copied to Clipboard