Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#801586 22/11/21 01:51 PM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Hi Guys, surprise seams to be utterly broken at the moment on Spectator, 9/10 times he ignores the fact I have hit him/her/it in the first place and just continues on his/her/it's merry way. I have noticed this on just about every encounter lately and the 5e rules clearly state that if my character has passed a stealth roll I should get surprise , especially with smugglers eye on, correct me if I am wrong of course as I know it can be down to a roll but why virtually every time? Of course I could just take the rip out of the game and drop fog then nail spectator with a crossbow with any character but I want to do it properly. PSS after I killed Dourn whilst Petrified to get staff parts he started moving around as if alive.

Last edited by Seleniumcodec; 22/11/21 02:08 PM.

We have a saying amongst PC users, Look after your PC ,and That's what I've done and I've maintained it for 20 years, this old PC has had 17 new Cards and 14 new Boards in it's time and it's still the same PC
enthusiast
enthusiast
The PHB States that surprised characters cannot move, take actions or reactions until the turn ends. I had several fights where surprised enemies moved and shoved me. Some monsters are immune to surprise but i looked up the spectator in the MM and could not find anything. So its either bugged or wrong.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by UnknownEvil
The PHB States that surprised characters cannot move, take actions or reactions until the turn ends. I had several fights where surprised enemies moved and shoved me. Some monsters are immune to surprise but i looked up the spectator in the MM and could not find anything. So its either bugged or wrong.

I too have had this so many times, I really hope they sort it out and not roll the game out and then do a better version later like they did with DOS2. Lets not mention Detor....err NO! The shear rate of enemies rolling a save on the Thunderwave spell is frankly astounding, I'm literally having to save scum at least 15-20 times in some cases for it to actually work on my present run and that's a high roll against a sorcerer with 18 Charisma so the die are still massively loaded in the enemies favour.

Last edited by Seleniumcodec; 23/11/21 01:52 AM.

We have a saying amongst PC users, Look after your PC ,and That's what I've done and I've maintained it for 20 years, this old PC has had 17 new Cards and 14 new Boards in it's time and it's still the same PC
veteran
veteran
It's less that the dice are favouring the enemy - though their RNG is not of good quality, as has been established in several much older threads... rather it's the fact that enemies generally have higher baseline ability scores than they are supposed to, and often getting advantage on saves when they're not supposed to, which results in a huge detriment to saving throw spells, compared to attack rolls. Saving throw spells are heavily handicapped in BG3 as a result, right now, as a knock-on effect of Larian's 'tweaks' which they don't seem to bee aware of.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Niara
It's less that the dice are favouring the enemy - though their RNG is not of good quality, as has been established in several much older threads... rather it's the fact that enemies generally have higher baseline ability scores than they are supposed to, and often getting advantage on saves when they're not supposed to, which results in a huge detriment to saving throw spells, compared to attack rolls. Saving throw spells are heavily handicapped in BG3 as a result, right now, as a knock-on effect of Larian's 'tweaks' which they don't seem to bee aware of.

Which makes sense Niara, but as I had quite a few months out to allow for Covid 19 slowing the progression of the game and any real improvements happening I missed the posts regarding the RNG, this is indeed an issue with the game that might have been forgiven 5-10 years ago but needs to be addressed rapidly as reputations are easily lost with the upcoming generations, to put it simply Boomers, X and Y have more forgiveness for errors as we were brought up with them in every game where as Z and Alpha are less tolerant, Z have an average age of 25 and they are core market at this stage where as Y who made DOS2 successful as core demographic at the time averagely are now Mothers and Fathers or out of Uni with time consuming careers with not much time for gaming themselves.

To put the above in more simple terms Larians rise five years ago with DOS2 was at a pivotal stage in generation swap for the core demographic of gamers and they need to realise this core has no tolerance for lack of balance and can ruin a company overnight. I.E. People Can Fly.

Link Copied to Clipboard