Next Thread
Print Thread
G
Goleeb Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
It seems the more I think about systems that will need to be implemented to get to a complete 5e players handbook version of the game. The more I notice there are two distinct ways to go with it a more fast paced story mode, and a slower tactical focused mode. For instance the current reaction system is to toggle to use reactions automatically. Though with a limited number of spell slots in the game. Your going to want shield to be used to avoid the big hits, and not the one the average goblin hit. Though the current system will see you blowing spell slots to avoid a 4 damage hit from a goblin. The only real alternative is to have a system that pauses combat, and asks the play to use the reaction or not.

Given that a player has reactions to use it will slow down the game immensely. For some this will be an annoyance, but for others only being able to toggle your reactions will be equally annoying. In the end you either design your game to favor one play mode over the other, or split the game into two distinct play modes. A story mode could be designed for more fluid story driven play through, and a tactical mode could trade a slower combat system for more control over the combat. Not sure how feasible this is based on the games current design, but it would certainty help with the divide in how the game is designed.

veteran
veteran
As far as i know, Swen told us in last PfH that they are curently working on some better reaction system ...
Also:
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=792506#Post792506

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Are we allowed to post youtube links on the forum? I don't see anything against it in forum rules, but prefer to ask.

I'm going to post this here but if not allowed I'll delete my post:

G
Goleeb Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
As far as i know, Swen told us in last PfH that they are curently working on some better reaction system ...
Also:
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=792506#Post792506

The problem is fixed as I said with a simple box to switch the functionality, but it's a problem that will come up again. It is going to take splitting the game into two separate modes, or favoring one play style over the other. Or like you said add options to change the functionality, but that could become a huge list really quickly. Not to mention how hard it will be to trouble shoot with so many variables being different.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Goleeb
Or like you said add options to change the functionality, but that could become a huge list really quickly.
What do you mean, huge list? O_o
You still have single reaction per round ... once you use it for single thing, that character will not use it until his next turn.

As i see it, if you have option "ask" picked on something ...
> game gives you popupwindow (or someting, i really dont care about visuals, i care about mechanics and functionality)
- where all curently useable reactions will be listed (i would not even mind if they were listed as simple grind with those round icons on it ... just as you have it next to your hotbar ... just all of them instead of just 2) ...
> you pick the one you wish to use ...
- or you pick "none" button, to leave that opourtunity pass and still have your valuable resource pepared for that nasty strong bastard you want to react on. laugh

And Voila, you reacted! (or not laugh )

Practical example:
Evocation Wizard A + Evocation Wizard B + Battlemaster Fighter + Fiend Warlock vs. Bunch of Goblins and a Bugbear

1) Goblin cast Magic Missile ...
Window shows and split in half ... on first half there are listed reaction of Wizard A ... on second reactions of Wizard B ...
They both have option to cast either Counterspell, or Shield ... (not sure if they both should even be able to use counterspell againts same cast but w/e, thats detail now)
Wizard A decides to ignore it whole, since 1d4 is nothing ... therefore reaction is saved for later.
Wizard B use Shield, since 1lvl spellslot is nothing, and he is close to Bugbear, so some extra AC will come handy ... therefore reaction was used.

2) Goblin attacks Warlock by meele attack and hits ...
Window shows and Warlock get option to use Hellish Rebuke ...
Wich he refuse ... for obvious reasons ... therefore reaction is saved for later.

3) Goblin attacks Fighter ...
Window shows and Fighter get option to use Retaliate(or w/e is that attack called, wiki refuses to cooperate)
Wich he use ... since he have enough superiority dices ... therefore reaction was used.

4) Bugbear attacks Warlock ...
Window shows and Warlock get option to use Hellish Rebuke ...
Wich he use ... for obvious reasons ... therefore reaction was used.

By now everyone used their reaction except Wizard A ...

Bugbear moves around:
- Warlock ... nothing, since reaction was allready used this turn ...
- Fighter ... nothing, since reaction was allready used this turn ...
- Wizard A ... hit him for AOO, since Wizard A had AOO set for automatic and saved it for later in first situation ... therefore reaction was used.

*Next round*

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 26/11/21 07:34 PM.

G
Goleeb Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
Or like you said add options to change the functionality, but that could become a huge list really quickly.
What do you mean, huge list? O_o

A huge list of options to customize game play. Not a huge list of reactions. Meaning that once you start solving problems by adding a checkbox options for one interaction people are going to quickly want more options as checkbox's to change combat in the game. I was simply saying it makes more sense to just have two game modes, and solve each conflict in the way that makes the most sense for each mode.

veteran
veteran
Im still not following. O_o
There are 3 options ... Auto, Ask and Disabled ... what else would you add? o_O

Its not automated like:
If "enemy cast Magic Missile" & "on me" then "cast Shield" else "cast counterspell" else "do nothing". laugh
I have heared some simmilar thoughts in the past, but you would need to give there sooooo many combination, that would be horrible game. :-/

Its more like:
"Check possible reactions" > "Check their status"
If "Ask" > ask.
If "Auto" > use.
If "Disabled" > do nothing.

The only question that puzzles me tho is if you will be able to use two different reactions at same time ... and have (for some unknown reason) both set for Auto ... wich option would game pick? O_o
In my honest opinion the cheaper should be choosen ... for myself loosing precious resources is not good experience. laugh

I was simply saying it makes more sense to just have two game modes, and solve each conflict in the way that makes the most sense for each mode.
I know, but it seems to me that our suggestions are not so different after all. o_O

Feel free to corect me:
You want Mod A that could be used in one situation ... for example when fighting with weak enemies, where you dont need to spend valuable resources.
And Mod B that could be used in other situation ... for example when fighting boss, where any resource is welcomed advantage.

In my suggestion Mod A is Auto ... and Mod B is Ask.
If you get to enemies you dont want to spend Spellslots for Shield at all ... you simply click on the shield, and it switch to disable ...
If you get to enemies you do want to spend Spellslots for Shield at all times ... you simply click on the shield again, and it switch to auto ...
If you get to enemies mixed of both previous groups (like Spider Matriarch and her babies) ... you simply click on the shield for third time, and it switch to ask ...

So you have full control over your reactions ...

S
addict
addict
S
Several ways to refine the reaction system, but perhaps only one that doesn't either break combat flow and immersion or add needless complexity to an already overly complex game. Paused pop-ups gives player control, but is the most intrusive. Scripted options like the original games are better, but will alienate a novice player already confronted by mass complexity. Both option goes against Larian's admittedly flawed efforts (where is the abstraction to HEX curse ability selection wasting so much time?) to make the game more fast-paced and palatable to a mainstream audience.

I have proposed time and again an optional real-time, time-limited reaction system. Imagine an enemy triggering a potential reaction. Time slows down with a loud clock ticking sound slowing down to almost halt while the camera zooms a bit closer to the situation. If the reaction trigger is an enemy casting a spell, the incantation effects and chanting voice would likewise be slowed down - and louder. The player counterspeller would be informed of spell name ONLY if spell is on the class list at a spell level he/she can cast (while also not silenced/deafened). When reaction ends, either after say -a 3 second window to react- runs out, or having reacted, the clock ticks faster quickly while the camera zooms back to normal. Game on as normal. Even if not necessarily faster, it would mesh well with the flow of the game and give a cinematic feel to combat.

This would be an option layered on top of automatic reactions so you have the best of two worlds.

Last edited by Seraphael; 28/11/21 11:53 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Im still not following. O_o
There are 3 options ... Auto, Ask and Disabled ... what else would you add? o_O
I think I got what OP means. It's not specifically about reactions, it's about having a "Telltale" difficulty level in the game. Reactions were just an example of complexity which (understandably) immediately steered the discussion away. Is my guess correct, Goleeb? grin

Well, as far as we know, Larian does have plans to implement difficulty levels. Would be really weird if they won't. Maybe they will add a "Watching a film" difficulty as well, who knows.

Link Copied to Clipboard