Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maerd
I personally dislike the monk class because it's ridiculous and immersion breaking. Any monk first and foremost is a person who dedicated all his life to the service of the deity. Therefore, the player must be obliged to do some stupid boring rituals most of the day. The correct way of allowing players to play monks will be to force them watch the cut scenes of praying for 5 min after every short and long rest, and force them to watch other stupid rituals monks suppose to be involved in, depending on their deity. Another thing is that monks should separate themselves from the rest of society unless they are providing a service favored by their deity, predominantly, it's a service of religious nature. Therefore, monks must be prohibited to get involved in the companion quests unless it fits and advances their deity values, romances of any sort must be prohibited too unless the monk serves a deity that promotes lust or spread of diseases (the monk then must be permanently infected: Typhoid Mary style).

This doesn't seem reasonable. Are you the actual enemy of fun?

Although i could see this becoming a web series called "Bad DM" - every week you ruin a different play sessions in really extreme and cringe ways and need to find new players. Like you are the Michael Scott of "The Office" of DM's.

I feel like you could do this with every single class. You should ruin Paladins next! Haha!

Blackheifer
old hand
old hand
Mmm, some people are just mopey edgelords with zero imagination, hellbent on thrusting their limited perspective and archaic concepts on alternate story universes. Monks are awesome and works perfectly well, and lends itself wonderfully well into literally inconceivable amounts of variations in terms of story and execution. One of my absolute favourite classes. =)

Must be dreadfully boring to have such incredibly limited imagination and scope, though. o_o

Last edited by andreasrylander; 17/12/21 12:06 AM.
veteran
veteran
don't bite on the bait people

old hand
old hand
No, I guess you're right. Let's roundhouse kick the haters! wink

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
I personally dislike the monk class because it's ridiculous and immersion breaking. Any monk first and foremost is a person who dedicated all his life to the service of the deity. Therefore, the player must be obliged to do some stupid boring rituals most of the day. The correct way of allowing players to play monks will be to force them watch the cut scenes of praying for 5 min after every short and long rest, and force them to watch other stupid rituals monks suppose to be involved in, depending on their deity. Another thing is that monks should separate themselves from the rest of society unless they are providing a service favored by their deity, predominantly, it's a service of religious nature. Therefore, monks must be prohibited to get involved in the companion quests unless it fits and advances their deity values, romances of any sort must be prohibited too unless the monk serves a deity that promotes lust or spread of diseases (the monk then must be permanently infected: Typhoid Mary style).

I'm all for fun and also I'm for consistent universes: for content that make sense. If you insist that BS classes are fun then D&D must add machine-gunner class, alien class, space marine class, and whatever other non-fitting classes you can imagine. You're not against having fun, right? I'm pretty sure it will be fun for someone to exterminate goblins using minigun, Fallout style.

That being said, I'm pretty sure Larian will add this class as playable, I'm just stating my disposition towards this class in general, so, you'll get your wishes. I'm glad though there will be no party members that are jarring contradiction with the environment.

veteran
veteran

I'm all for fun and also I'm for consistent universes: for content that make sense. If you insist that BS classes are fun then D&D must add machine-gunner class, alien class, space marine class, and whatever other non-fitting classes you can imagine. You're not against having fun, right? I'm pretty sure it will be fun for someone to exterminate goblins using minigun, Fallout style.

That being said, I'm pretty sure Larian will add this class as playable, I'm just stating my disposition towards this class in general, so, you'll get your wishes. I'm glad though there will be no party members that are jarring contradiction with the environment.

Well yeah they will be adding Bard, Monk, Barbarian and Paladin - as stated from the start - everything in the PHB. But if you feel Monk doesn't fit then shouldn't you be taking that up with WoTC?

The way you described Monks doesn't seem to fit with what the PHB says about them at all. However, at the end of the day everybody has their own subjective opinions.

Blackheifer
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Dexai
Well, if thst is your take on monks then I would love to see your take on clerics.
Clerics are fine because they are not too self-restricting and, historically, in the real world some of them actually performed the role of diplomats, spies, philosophers, early scientists, warriors, and even warlords.

Clerks literally just stand around stores all day for minimum pay, they don't have time to adventure, they have to restock the coca cola fridge again

"warlords" lol

Optimistically Apocalyptic
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Well, if thst is your take on monks then I would love to see your take on clerics.
Clerics are fine because they are not too self-restricting and, historically, in the real world some of them actually performed the role of diplomats, spies, philosophers, early scientists, warriors, and even warlords.

Clerks literally just stand around stores all day for minimum pay, they don't have time to adventure, they have to restock the coca cola fridge again

"warlords" lol
Are you high or having a dyslexia?

old hand
old hand
That's what clerics are, mate. They're clerks.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Well yeah they will be adding Bard, Monk, Barbarian and Paladin - as stated from the start - everything in the PHB. But if you feel Monk doesn't fit then shouldn't you be taking that up with WoTC?
I'm well aware that it's a class from PHB. It doesn't make it less out of place. The class exist with the sole business purpose of adding a perceived attractiveness of the D&D games to Asian population, it has nothing to do with improving the world building or enriching the lore.

The way you described Monks doesn't seem to fit with what the PHB says about them at all. However, at the end of the day everybody has their own subjective opinions.
Let me quote you the PHB then: "Small walled cloisters dot the landscapes of the worlds of D&D, tiny refuges from the flow of ordinary life, where time seems to stand still. The monks who live there seek personal perfection through contemplation and rigorous training. Many entered the monastery as children, sent to live there when their parents died, when food couldn’t be found to support them, or in return for some kindness that the monks had performed for their families."
What exactly did I miss? That's pretty much normal description of monks like in a real world.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
You must be a genius. Please, share with us more of your enlightening ideas.

old hand
old hand

It's a pretty much normal description of clerics in a real world.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Of course, genius, just don't forget take your pills.

D
addict
addict
D
Of course, genius, just don't forget take your pills.

So toxic

I'm looking forward to it. How else could I play a character inspired by Son Goku or Wukong?

T
Banned
Banned
T
Absolutely waiting and when waiting I enjoy TV series Cobra Kai. I also have martial arts experience myself from real life and still train more or less.

As for Monks in real world well do not want to get into that debate and I stay out of it. As for Forgotten Realms. There are also martial arts experts among monks. Author R. A. Salvatore books. I have read these books. Great books if you want to read about a human man Cleric Cadderly and a human woman martial arts Monk Danica in Dungeons Dragons Forgotten Realms world:
The_Cleric_Quintet

Last edited by Terminator2020; 26/12/21 06:06 PM.
veteran
veteran
This has its own meme on the Larian discord:

Punch!

veteran
veteran
Can't really say I care much about the class, mechanically.
But I'm curious to have its implementation of the game just to see what they are going to do with the animations.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
What exactly did I miss? That's pretty much normal description of monks like in a real world.

You missed the rest of that section, Maerd. Here, let me quote the full description to you:

"The Magic of Ki

Monks make careful study of a magical energy that most monastic traditions call ki. This energy is an element of the magic that suffuses the multiverse — specifically, the element that flows through living bodies. Monks harness this power within themselves to create magical effects and exceed their bodies’ physical capabilities, and some of their special attacks can hinder the flow of ki in their opponents. Using this energy, monks channel uncanny speed and strength into their unarmed strikes. As they gain experience, their martial training and their mastery of ki gives them more power over their bodies and the bodies of their foes.

Training and Asceticism

Small walled cloisters dot the landscapes of the worlds of D&D, tiny refuges from the flow of ordinary life, where time seems to stand still. The monks who live there seek personal perfection through contemplation and rigorous training. Many entered the monastery as children, sent to live there when their parents died, when food couldn’t be found to support them, or in return for some kindness that the monks had performed for their families.

Some monks live entirely apart from the surrounding population, secluded from anything that might impede their spiritual progress. Others are sworn to isolation, emerging only to serve as spies or assassins at the command of their leader, a noble patron, or some other mortal or divine power.

The majority of monks don’t shun their neighbors, making frequent visits to nearby towns or villages and exchanging their service for food and other goods. As versatile warriors, monks often end up protecting their neighbors from monsters or tyrants.

For a monk, becoming an adventurer means leaving a structured, communal lifestyle to become a wanderer. This can be a harsh transition, and monks don’t undertake it lightly. Those who leave their cloisters take their work seriously, approaching their adventures as personal tests of their physical and spiritual growth. As a rule, monks care little for material wealth and are driven by a desire to accomplish a greater mission than merely slaying monsters and plundering their treasure.

Creating a Monk

As you make your monk character, think about your connection to the monastery where you learned your skills and spent your formative years. Were you an orphan or a child left on the monastery’s threshold? Did your parents promise you to the monastery in gratitude for a service performed by the monks? Did you enter this secluded life to hide from a crime you committed? Or did you choose the monastic life for yourself?

Consider why you left. Did the head of your monastery choose you for a particularly important mission beyond the cloister? Perhaps you were cast out because of some violation of the community’s rules. Did you dread leaving, or were you happy to go? Is there something you hope to accomplish outside the monastery? Are you eager to return to your home?

As a result of the structured life of a monastic community and the discipline required to harness ki, monks are almost always lawful in alignment.

Playing an adventurer monk means playing one who has left their cloistered lifestyle, and the reason for that is usually serious but can be as varied as the individual players.

old hand
old hand
[Linked Image from nicepng.com]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard