Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
addict
addict
Yeah, some classes are definitely more restrictive than others. But even in that situation, look at the antagonist in Siege of Dragonspear ... would her dialog and story have changed significantly if she were a warlock or paladin? Would the Irenicus story fall apart if he were a fallen ranger instead of a sorceror? The class selection gives the character a set of tools with which to overcome obstacles ... this guy has a hammer, she has a wand, etc., but the character's story arc *could* be based on so many other interesting things.

veteran
veteran
So before our first conversation that character should also be naked and unarmed? O_o

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
addict
addict
Ha ha, maybe not completely naked, but could be a raggedy street urchin. Even better, how about a stable hand, or a merchant?
"I've always felt I was destined for the adventuring life ..."

I think Mark Twain once said something like, "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little influence in today's society."

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Argyle
If you take a look in the 5E Dungeon Master Guide, you will see Chapter 4: Creating Non-Player Characters. It mentions these specific aspects of a memorable NPC character:

Occupation and history
Appearance
Abilities
Talent
Mannerism
Interactions with others
Useful knowledge
Ideals
Bonds/allegiance
Flaws or secrets

They even give tables so you could create a detailed NPC in just a few die rolls. Gosh, if you have writer's block, this is the place to go! Occupation is certainly on the list, but it is just one of many things, and there is very little discussion of occupation in Chapter 4 except for the villainous variants given at the end. Chapter 4 shows you how an AI algorithm might be able to create the NPC's, possibly with input from the player. In fact, Argyle might already be an AI thing ... how would you know?

You are confusing NPCs in the tabletop sense with party NPC companions (which are in fact not truly NPCs since you play them). Tabletop NPCs don't even have classes.

But yeah classes are definitely part of a character's character. Different character's are mokdable to different degrees in this regard. For example you brought up Nalia -- her class is definitely a reflection of her defined character history and she wouldn't fit as anything else. Same with Dragonspear Keep Girl -- being a Paladin is literally part of her motivation and if she wasn't a Paladin the story would change -- and Irenicus who could only be another arcane caster class.

If we look at the actual characters in question:
Astarion: Could be changed to a lot of things, but Rogue certainly fits his character best.
Gale: Being a wizard is literally 99% of his personality
Laessie: Needs to be a martial class for her story to make sense
Shadowheart: Could fit as an Arcane Trickster, but being a Cleric of Shar is pretty firmly tied to her concept
Wyll: His story is about being a Warlock, or at least his infernal pact. Sure, technically selling one's soul to devil doesn't necessarily have to mean you have to have the Warlock class but it's pretty much that, Fighter, Ranger, or Paladin, as far as his characterisation goes.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dexai
Wyll: His story is about being a Warlock, or at least his infernal pact. Sure, technically selling one's soul to devil doesn't necessarily have to mean you have to have the Warlock class but it's pretty much that, Fighter, Ranger, or Paladin, as far as his characterisation goes.

This is a key thing about Wyll that I try to explain to new players. He is an incompetent poser. I imagine more 'traditional' Warlocks who seek out specific patrons after doing a bit of study would look down on Wyll for selling his soul unnecessarily.

But that's Wyll's story, he is a failed Hero - and his journey may involve him becoming a real one, getting his soul back and finding a proper patron.

Selling your soul is almost never part of a warlock pact with a patron. It's unnecessary anyway. Whoever your patron is will likely align with you morally anyway insuring that you end up a petitioner in that realm - albeit a powerful one - depending on your power as a Warlock.

Last edited by Blackheifer; 17/12/21 03:09 PM.

Blackheifer
enthusiast
enthusiast
I am really hoping that the monk and barbarian classes come with some new bodies.
Both classes have gear thats geared towards revealing muscles and abs... so if my monk/barbarian still has the same physic as the other classes and characters. Thats going to kinda suck frown

addict
addict
"You are confusing NPCs in the tabletop sense with party NPC companions (which are in fact not truly NPCs since you play them). Tabletop NPCs don't even have classes."

Read to the end of Chapter 4 in the DMG where they provide some extra NPC villainous class options. The Castellan in Keep on the Borderlands is an NPC, and he had a class. Narlen Darkwalk is perhaps the greatest NPC of the whole BG series. I am not saying to *never* tie the persona to the class, I am saying that it might be unique and fun to try maybe *one* NPC with a player's choice.

Monk outfit looks like shit.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by cool-dude01
Monk outfit looks like shit.

You mean the colours or the design? Because I'd easily bet my hat that those are preliminary/undefined colourings.

veteran
veteran
Doesnt seem so bad to me ...
Just a little too tight. :-/

Kinda shame that OP didnt get female screenshots for monk. frown
(Or they werent even there maybe?)

morez Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Doesnt seem so bad to me ...
Just a little too tight. :-/

Kinda shame that OP didnt get female screenshots for monk. frown
(Or they werent even there maybe?)

this is female monk:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Gnome Bard female still needs some improvements...
and hair style too:

did I say gnome?

Whatever this race might be?

sorry for not answering.. is this mess just excisting for me? now again i have to hit the bed...

Last edited by morez; 21/12/21 02:12 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by morez
this is female monk:

I will no be officially disappointed if I can't Emperor's-New-Clothes this game for the unarmoured defence classes.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by morez
Gnome Bard female still needs some improvements...
Dont force your ideals of beauty on us!
She is perfect the way she is! :P laugh

Seriously tho thanks for sharing. smile

old hand
old hand
I'd say that last one is a half-orc, but I hear WotC is adding the Ken race with the next splatbook

enthusiast
enthusiast
Is that a new broad muscled body I see??? OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. Yas.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard