Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Hi all,

I installed the patch right after i installed the game from the cd.

I followed one of the forumer's guide(Lady Rain?) on how to install the game. Patching before rebooting etc etc..

When i started the game, it shows version 1.4700, and then i see the starforce drivers under device manager. Irritated, i used regedit and checked beyond divinity registry value, it says 1.49 under the version key, language as English.

Can someone shed some light on this?

veteran
veteran
since i have a new installation of Vista running, i am re-installing the game to double check. 15 mins and i will have a defenate answer.

Your existence alone, is excuse enough for the creation of the entire universe… Il you my darling Jeanne-Dré 
veteran
veteran
Just re-installed it...

when the installation was finished. i did NOT restart....
i deleted the folder called "C:\Program Files\Larian Studios\Beyond Divinity\StarForce Driver Installation"
then installed the patch (1.49).

Only after i did all this, did i reboot my computer.

No starforce active.

When searching the registry,

the installation does however put the following registry entry in, but without the startforce install directory, the files needed to execute this registry entry, will not be present.

These 4 entries can be removed from the registry: (none of the files they refer to, is installed yet or is even present on the computer)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\prodrv06
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\prohlp02
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\prosync1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\sfhlp01

The file: "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\sfhlp01.sys" can be deleted ( I admit, i overlooked this file in my previous search - this file does get copied during the installation, but never gets loaded when you install the patch)

The game DOES sow 2 different versions. 1.49 and 1.47 (for the in-game and saved game data)

Last edited by Lady_Rain; 04/06/07 07:00 PM.

Your existence alone, is excuse enough for the creation of the entire universe… Il you my darling Jeanne-Dré 
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thanks Lady Rain for the troubles.

This is what i *think*

The difference here is the OS, i am using XP and you are using vista. I believe the version of SF that comes with BD(prior to version 4.xxx) does not work on vista thus will never get installed. But since it happened on my installation, starforce does get installed with the latest patch 1.49, however the exe of BD 1.49 does not check for starforce upon starting of the game, and this is what i believe when larian says they removed the starforce protection.

I may be wrong but that's exactly what happened.

Anyway i am curious, are you sure ur in game version says 1.49? On mine it's 1.47. The save file is also 1.47.
Can you show me the screenshot of the 1.49 that you mentioned, i believe in on the main menu (the one with NEW, LOAD, etc etc)

thanks.

veteran
veteran
In the game the version is 1.47 (larian didnt change the version name, because there is no game-related changes from the patch) In the registry it says 1.49.

About starforce...

Patch 1.49 does not uninstall starforce. it makes the game not run it.

If you deleted the "StarForce Driver Installation" BEFORE you rebooted, starforce does NOT install, since you deleted the files it needed to install.

If you forgot to delete the directory, it will install.

Vista and XP has no difference when it come to the installation of Starforce. Starforce will encounter an error and continiously try to re-install it self when you try to run it on Vista though, making you have to reboot every time you try to run the game. but that is the only difference. on both versions of windows, it will install if you dont delete the folder.

Last edited by Lady_Rain; 06/06/07 06:29 PM.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Patch 1.49 does not uninstall starforce. it makes the game not run it.

If I remember correctly, then the makers of Starforce have a small program that can remove Starforce completely.
It should be somewhere on their web site.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
veteran
veteran
Removal tool from here

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard