Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Smashy Offline OP
OP Offline
Please share your various monster killing tips and tricks here. Yes you can certainly release a mess of Death Scorpions and safely take out anything on the map. And yes we can all successfully defeat the enemies in DD without too much trouble, but you may want to face off against enemies beyond your level, or maybe some ways are just easier, more fun, or more satisfying than others. And maybe we'll all learn something. Tips can be as general or as specific as you like.

Beetles, Orcs, animals (except Snake and toad types) many "demonic" creatures and most humans can't tolerate Poison Weapon attacks very well. Even minor poison can have a huge impact.

Just a quick note on the poison weapon skill that took me awhile to figure out...if you poison a melee weapon, the enemy will not be poisoned unless you score a hit, so if you're facing something that has a much higher agility, this can be a problem. However when you poison a bow/crossbow, it appears to ignore whether or not you score an actual "hit", and poisons the creature simply if the arrow contacts the enemy. Helpful if facing something you'd normally only score a hit on rarely. Also helpful if you want to conserve your poison charges, sometimes a sword or mace etc hits the enemy twice in a row before you can move away, effectively wasting the 2nd poison dose. But with an arrow, you can shoot and move. If you're really trying to conserve, a crossbow is helpful because it shoots slower. And somehow, poison charges don't go down if your arrow misses altogether, so if you miss, it's all good. For hard to take down enemies, unload more than one arrow in 'em, the poison adds up. For bosses, unload on 'em.

For skeletons and various other undead, burning wall is fun and effective. Especially when it lasts a little longer. Especially effective in confined areas/hallways/doorways where they can't go around it. I was having fun once taking out Insane Skellys and Special Insanes with this tactic, at a relatively low level. For bosses that can't stand lightning, with some practice, you can box them in on three sides, and they just fry. Effective and satisfying.

Ok I think that's all I have for now. Please share your own tips smile

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
run hit run save run hit run save. If I get hit, I reload laugh

Unfortunately some monsters are outrageously overpowered and this technique was the only way to beat them.

Support
Support
The more commonly known techniques are described in the topic Chasing Josie... (minor spoilers). The topic is about Josephine, but the tips should work for any strong opponent.

Something I discovered recently is that Hell Spikes can be cast repeatedly fairly quickly. It is not as fast casting as Meteorstrike, but can do a lot more damage. Meteorstrike has a bit of a stunning effect, though, and is fairly effective even at level 1; Hell Spikes needs to be at a high level for best effect.

Survivor's Curse cast repeatedly (even just level 1) followed by any elemental attack works well.

Blind + Hell Spikes is quite effective against single opponents. With groups, it is probably easier to skip using Blind.

Any character can use a hit and run tactic with a bow, or Deadly Disks, etc. Burning Wall can be used either to slow down (and damage) a following opponent, or to surround an opponent (or group) to do even more damage.

If an opponent summons a creature, you can cast Aura of Command on that creature to have it fight for you. Some summoned creatures are relatively weak and will not last long, but others can do a fair bit of damage.

A warrior can drink a shadow potion, stand next to an opponent and use the spin attack (clicking on the ground somewhere) to do damage but not turn visible. This is almost a cheat, and will make any fight easy (and boring).

Smashy Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the input Raze. Yeah I remember the night when I had skill points to burn and I was testing magic because I wanted something that was "fun," I finally tried Burning Wall in the sewer area and fell in love heh. And it's a great one for people who like the resurrecting trick, go to like a mountain troll area or a cave with 50 insane skeletons, round 'em all up into one area, launch some burning wall and fry 'em all in one or two shots, resurrect, etc.

stranger
stranger
When and where do you get Ressurrect? and when you die you can use it on yourself cause something like your own firewall killed you??? Lottaly Tost...

i dont know how to post spoilers, lol

Last edited by Tito; 22/04/08 02:13 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
To post a spoiler simply highlight the text you wish to wrap in spoiler packaging (i:e dragging your mouse over it) and then left-click "wrap some text in spoiler tags."
wink

"Oh Lord, how long will the search go on?"
Support
Support
Resurrect is a mage skill in the path of 'Powers of Summoning', available starting at character level 16 or from spell books (I maxed this skill just with purchased spell books). You can not resurrect yourself, just defeated opponents.

When resurrected, creatures will be friendly towards you and fight your enemies. If you leave the immediate area, they will turn hostile, and can be killed again for more experience and possibly additional loot. You need to cast Aura of Command on a resurrected creature to have it follow you.

The Locus Inn - Skill System (individual paths, and a skill table for each class)

If you click on the spoiler button (or one of the text formatting options, etc) without highlighting text first, it will place the start and end tags where the text cursor is. You can then either copy these tags where needed, or copy the text between them. These tags are what tells the forum software to do something different with the enclosed text. The UBBCode starting tag is a keyword (or letter) surrounded by square brackets; the ending tag is the same, but with a slash preceding the keyword/letter.
In the case of spoilers, when editing your spoiler text would look like the following (adding spaces so it doesn't get changed to a spoiler box);

[ spoiler ]Darth Vader is actually Luke's father!!![ /spoiler ]

grin

You can also quote a post to see how something was done.

stranger
stranger
Man I love these forums you guys are funny as hell, thanks for the laughs... and thanks for the help...
And to keep to the subject i just run around make tons of resto pots and hope i dont die, but i'm only lv 15 so far.....lv 15 Paladin....or Warden depending the games you like to compare Toons to...

M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Originally Posted by Raze

grin

Oh, come on, that should have been in a box! biggrin

I am in blood
Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Macbeth
Originally Posted by Raze

grin

Oh, come on, that should have been in a box! biggrin

Yeah! You could've just spoiled everything for the entire population of Mongolia! hahaha

"Oh Lord, how long will the search go on?"
K
apprentice
apprentice
K
The locus inn thing web link seems broken frown

Support
Support
The link is working now. There may have been a temporary problem on their end, or somewhere between your ISP and them.

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard