Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
K
Ok, so I visit a guard named Ben I believe, he's in the castle. He says: Get me some beer.

I have over 12 different varieties of alcoholic beverages in my inventory. I have all of the alcohol I can find in the castle. I've searched walkthroughs for this mystery Ale.

I can't find a single type of alcohol this punk of a guard will drink!!!!!!!!!

I've tried selling him beer!

I've tried getting the wine from the cellar, by filling up an empty mug!

I've filled up empty mugs from the kitchen!!

Does ANYONE know where I can find the mystery ale this guy drinks? I mean, c'mon. It's totally absolutely ridiculous that this aocoholic guard won't take any of the beer or wine or ale I try to give him!

Support
Support
There should be beer in the castle in the room north west of the main throne room. Some people also reported finding the beer he wants in the guards' barracks.
Try dropping non-beer/ale alcohol from your inventory.

Ben is on the castle wall, isn't he? I think I recall someone saying that after they left the castle and did some other stuff, they returned with some of Rimmer's ale, talked to Ben on the wall and were able to complete the quest.

Welcome to the forum. wave

K
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
K
HI!:D ty

Hrm... maybe it will let me complete the quest with Rimmer's Ale, and at first I thought the ale would be outside the castle walls. However, when I was kicked out of the castle it said I failed Ben's Quest. Maybe this is a bug and I didn't really fail it?

I'll try to drop all the beer and check those rooms out, carrying only one at a time in my inventory.

edit: yeah, there's no beer or ale in that room NW of the throne room. it was a regular bottle that went into the inventory. He is apparently too picky to get drunk off of regular stuff, so I'll attempt to come back later and give him that Rimmer's Ale. It's clearly a bugged quest, I bet this is why countless of these walkthroughs I visit say there's no solution.

Last edited by KevinConner; 19/04/08 09:54 PM.
I was able to find the ale all the times I tried. I believe it's in the uppermost center room in the castle, on a table.

The one I wonder about is the drunk robber you meet in front of Blue Boar (forget his name now). If you go around him, you meet his wife/girlfriend, who asks if you've seen him. If you do encounter him, you don't meet her. Seems like there's something missing there.

Support
Support
Maybe I was thinking of returning to the castle to lockpick stuff left on the walls, or something.

I didn't have any problems with this quest; the first time I talked to Ben he accepted something from my inventory by the time I got to him (looting on the way). If I have time later I'll check this out more carefully.

Maybe the wife/girlfriend of the 'drunk' runs after him when he pickpockets you, so that is why you don't meet her if you meet him first. Practically, her only purpose is to warn you about getting pickpocketed, so she isn't needed if you have already been robbed by the supposed drunk.

Aaah well that makes sense. Though invariably, I'm always coming from the west when I meet him, so I always meet him before I do her. In fact this last I went through this part was the first out of probably 8 times that I actually saw the wife/girlfriend, and that's only because I intentionally went around him, wanting to come back and club him later when I was stronger heh. It was kind of a nice surprise to see something I never saw before in the game. I bet there's lots more stuff like that. I still haven't done some part I read about concerning someone that's trying to fight Burleah (sp?) and his girlfriend. ...something like that

K
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
K
Well I've been to every single table and room in the castle and pressed and held ALT to see all the items of interest.

Not a single one of the ales I saw or picked up were taken by Ben. I did meet ben after I picked up some ale, so maybe I have to meet him first. All I know is, he won't let me finish the quest.

yeah, it's probably one of those items that doesn't show up until you talk to the guy. Like Maria and Malcom's book. Or maybe picking up the bottle first breaks the quest.

Support
Support
I reloaded a game before entering the castle, entered, went and talked to Ben, then got the bottle of ale from the room just north of the throne room (screenshot), and returned to complete the quest. If I complete Janus' tasks and get kicked out of the castle before completing the quest, I can still give Ben the ale from outside, but that doesn't change the failed quest entry and there are no experience points given.

I had no other alcohol in my inventory entering the castle, and only picked up the one bottle, so that may have helped. Too much alcohol or a cluttered inventory may be part of why a few people have had a problem with this quest.

I updated the Lost Items post with the inventory files to replace the bottle of ale, if you still have a save in the castle really want to complete this quest.

K
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
K
Yeah, I remember that bottle. I tried it. I can revert to an earlier save to try again, but it might be that somehow the quest got bugged.

thank you though for your assistance ^_^

edit: ah ha, actually, I was mistaken when I thought I was wrong.

That room does not have a bottle of ale in my game. It instead has two glasses of wine. My game is bugged. lol

Last edited by KevinConner; 21/04/08 04:22 AM.

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard