Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
I bought DD off of Amazon used. The disc appeared a little scratched, but it installed fine, and even played for about 4 hours without a problem after installation (it's a great game - very addicting). However, after my initial playing, I tried to use the desktop shortcut today to continue playing. My CD drive made a horrible crunching sound, like the disc was scratched beyond playability, and gave the error:

"Unable to write to the installation directory.

Please make sure that there is still free space on the drive where Divinity is installed and that you have the necessary access rights."

I checked the DD directory, and the 'run' files were read only. Is it a scratched disc, or some other problem?

T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
I just reinstalled, and backed up my save games before hand. Everything runs fine, except now I can't find where to put the backup save games to keep playing my character. Talk about frustrating!

journeyman
journeyman
Mine is I:\Games\Divine Divinity\Run\savegames

Hopefully you saved the titled (the name you assigned to each save) folders. If so, just copy them over to the savegames directory and all may be ok.

Maybe Raze will chime in with some more info.

HTH

ASUS M3N72-D
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Brisbane @ 3GHz
4 Gigs DDR2 PC6400 Dual Ch. Corsair
ASUS GeForce 9800GT 512MB x2 SLI
Win7 64bit or XP Pro x64
T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Conan 1
Mine is I:\Games\Divine Divinity\Run\savegames

Hopefully you saved the titled (the name you assigned to each save) folders. If so, just copy them over to the savegames directory and all may be ok.

Maybe Raze will chime in with some more info.

HTH

on the new install i don't even see that path. it's really weird, because on the bad install it was definitely there.

Support
Support
I checked the DD directory, and the 'run' files were read only.

Did you check the properties of the folder, or the files in the folder? In Windows XP, there will always be a green box for the read-only attribute of a folder with sub-folders, since it does not bother actually checking. Windows 9x should have a greyed out checkmark if there are a mix of read-only and not read-only files in the folder or subfolders, or clear / checkmark if all files are one other the other.

It is possible a scratch could be interfering with the game startup, but I don't know if that would produce an error about writing to the installation folder.

With the latest patch installed (or an already updated game version), disabling the intro videos (see this topic) will eliminate the CD check on startup, but you will still need the play CD for the blessing ceremony and end game video. In the game, check the bottom right corner of the main menu for the version number; 1.0034A is the latest. The DVD version is already updated.

The install program does not create the 'savegames' folder; the game does so the first time you save. You can create the folder yourself, if you wish, to move your backup saves into, or start a new game and save to have the game create it.

If you have Windows Vista and installed the game to the default Program Files folder path, depending on how you have your user accounts set up, Vista can create the savegames folder under the user data folder, and map that folder to where the game expects it to be when the game is started.

Welcome to the forum, Tristero and Conan 1. wave

T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Raze
I checked the DD directory, and the 'run' files were read only.

Did you check the properties of the folder, or the files in the folder? In Windows XP, there will always be a green box for the read-only attribute of a folder with sub-folders, since it does not bother actually checking. Windows 9x should have a greyed out checkmark if there are a mix of read-only and not read-only files in the folder or subfolders, or clear / checkmark if all files are one other the other.

It is possible a scratch could be interfering with the game startup, but I don't know if that would produce an error about writing to the installation folder.

With the latest patch installed (or an already updated game version), disabling the intro videos (see this topic) will eliminate the CD check on startup, but you will still need the play CD for the blessing ceremony and end game video. In the game, check the bottom right corner of the main menu for the version number; 1.0034A is the latest. The DVD version is already updated.

The install program does not create the 'savegames' folder; the game does so the first time you save. You can create the folder yourself, if you wish, to move your backup saves into, or start a new game and save to have the game create it.

If you have Windows Vista and installed the game to the default Program Files folder path, depending on how you have your user accounts set up, Vista can create the savegames folder under the user data folder, and map that folder to where the game expects it to be when the game is started.

Welcome to the forum, Tristero and Conan 1. wave

Thanks for the great post. I decided to reinstall, and then ended up just creating a new character. That worked, so I guess the initial problem was just a corrupted initial installation. It's possible that a scratched play disk could cause that, I suppose.

I'll keep your advice in mind if anything goes wrong this time.

Out of curiosity, I haven't patched yet, but have a character a decent way into the game. Can I patch now, or would that mess up my character?

Support
Support

Dust or a fingerprint could also cause read errors on a CD, which could explain why you got errors once and not a subsequent time (assuming you didn't just try a different optical drive that could handle the scratches better). A background program could have caused problems, as well.

Yes, you can install the patch now, and keep playing with the same game. There are a couple fixes and changes that will only be applied to new games, but you will get the benefit of most of the fixes with an existing save.

In an unpatched, original release game Finnigan's magic lockpicks (available when you get to Verdistis) are breakable and will disappear if dropped directly on the ground. Installing the patch will place them back where they started if they were broken, and will prevent them from being broke, but they can still not be dropped on the ground. In a game started after installing the patch, the lockpicks are unbreakable and can be safely dropped on the ground. Also, you can return the lockpicks to complete the quest, and then buy them back (in a game started in the unpatched version, you can not buy back the lockpicks, so it is better to leave that quest unfinished and keep them). Finnigan also has a much better inventory in a game started in the updated version, and tends to be a good source of poison and traps, as well as other stuff.

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard