Next Thread
Print Thread
D
display Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
As the title says. My monitor is a widescreen and the native res is rather large. Playing it on 1024x768 stretches everything out and doesn't look so great.

If not, can the color depth be altered to 32bit somehow?

Thanks.

Last edited by display; 23/06/08 09:35 AM.
Support
Support

You can edit the config.div file (in any text editor) in the '..\Divine Divinity\Run' folder to change to a widescreen resolution (your Windows Desktop display properties should list the resolutions supported by your monitor).
The game itself may be fine at higher than supported resolutions, but opening the auto-map can cause the game to crash (how much higher you can get and how frequently the automap would crash is system dependent).

AFAIK DD can not be played in a window in Windows (it can under Linux). It may be possible using some virtual PC software.

Welcome to the forum. wave

D
display Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Hey. Thanks, but I was already aware of that option from searching. Just couldn't find any information on playing in a window or raising the color depth.

By the way, is there a list of all the commands available for edit in config.div file?

Support
Support

I do not think there is a list of all the possible commands in the config.div file, though some of them are self explanatory.

Other than the resolution, the main editable command is the one to show the intro movies ("startup logo 1"). Changing the 1 to a 0 (or adding the line if it does not exist) will automatically skip the intro movies.
With the latest game version, this will also eliminate the need for the play CD, except for a couple cases (the blessing ceremony after hitting the gong late in the game, and at the end of the game). These are the same limitations as with the no-CD hack.

Some entries in the config.div file are only added after relevant changes are made in the game options. I'll post the contents of my config file below, though I don't know how complete it is (it's longer than the default version, anyway).
Note the blank line at the end; the game expects the last line of the file to be blank, and will ignore any edited contents there.

// display width
width 1024

// display height
height 768

// activate smooth mode
smooth 1

// global contrast
contrast 1.000000

// global gamma
gamma 1.350000

// show the intro movies
startup logo 0

// enable quickstart
quickstart "on"

// use compressed image lists
images compressed

// use flat file system
flat files

// enable/disable z-tunneling
ztunnel 1

// set the memory limit
memory limit 32

// enable/disable the use of bitmapped fonts
use8bitfont 1

// disables fog rendering
no fog

stranger
stranger
Very cool. But i can't find the file??

There is a config.lcl file, which i can't open. Then the configtool(.exe).

I would like to add the command to skip the into movies. Which i always do with esc but it would be nice to go straight to the game. I've seen those openings a hundred times already.

Any ideas??

Support
Support

The config.div file should be in the '..\Divine Divinity\Run' folder (with the other 2 files you found), at least in Windows 9x and XP.

If you have Windows Vista and installed the game to the default Program Files folder path, depending on how you have your user accounts set up, Vista can create the savegames folder under the user data folder, and map that folder to where the game expects it to be when the game is started. Perhaps it did the same with the config.div file? Check for the file in the location;

C:\Users\{account name}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Divine Divinity\Run\config.div

Do you have Windows Explorer set to hide hiden and system files (the default in XP and Vista)? The config.div file should not be marked as either hidden or system, but if this isn't a case of Vista moving files around (intended so different users can keep their saved games separate), then it couldn't hurt to check that.

Welcome to the forum. wave

stranger
stranger
Thanks Raze! Thanks for the welcome and help and info. You sure are the knowledgeable fellow.

I do have Vista. I don't mind it so much as most people seem to. A lot of people want to go back to XP but XP will be obsolete before too long. So i'll stick with Vista for now and keep trying to figure it out. But it definitely is not as easy to change and find things as XP was. I can't even figure out yet how to show hidden folders and some things like that. I also want to make the icons on my desktop a bit smaller. But one thing at a time. I'm not overly concerned. Yet. Guess i haven't tried really hard but it shouldn't be an issue at all. They've really spread everything out. Made some things too damn simple and the rest nearly impossible!

I should have come here first but i decided to do a search. One nice option is in the advanced search you can look for hidden files and whatnot. Turned that on and finally found it. Right in the folder you described. Well done!

At first i also had issues figuring out how to open the thing! Came to a brick wall at first. But had a light bulb moment and remembered a way to change what program tries to open a file. Yay for right click properties. Changed it to open with notepad. Hopefully it won't effect the game being able to read it. That would be fun. I made a shortcut on my desktop for the time being. I will play around with it for a bit to see what i can get it to do and see if it will work correctly.

The option you mentioned to get the game to play without the cd (pending a few places it needs it).. is that a command you already listed? Also, while i'm asking about that. Does the game crash when it gets to those points? Or will it just ask for the cd to be inserted when needed? I might not mess with that at all if i have to worry that it will crash. I'm also weary of changing the size, though it's quite tempting. My resolution is currently 1680 * 1050. Probably could expect a lot of freezes and crashes i would think though. Possibly worth a try though.

Thanks again for your help so far. Greatly appreciated Raze.

stranger
stranger
Also for the record. Do you know what the quickstart command refers to? I can't think off of the top of my head what that might pertain to.

Also have these two commands at the end of my list..

Code
// set the color mode
rgb 565

// Select alpha bit
Alpha bit 0

Not that they say or do much but, just random info. Had thought about playing around with some of those options, especially in the configtool to see how much it would differ. But i'm content with everything for the most part right now.

Support
Support

In Vista, click on the start button, then Control Panel; switch to Classic View, and double click on Folder Options, then the View tab. You can also get to these options from Explorer, but I don't recall how I did that recently, configuring a new laptop for someone else (it is easier once you show the main menu bar in Explorer, but I don't recall how I did that either).
One problem showing hidden and system files is that will display a couple of configuration files on the desktop. I'm not sure if you can hide just those files, or disable stuff so Windows doesn't use desktop configuration files.

If you right click on the desktop there are icon size options under the View menu. I'm not sure how to get them smaller if they are already set to 'classic icons', though (aside from increasing the screen resolution, which would affect everything).

You should be able to open a file with a particular application without setting a file association (have not tried that in Vista, though). However, the game will not have a problem with the file association.
If you add a shortcut to a text editor to your desktop, you should be able to drag and drop files on it to open them. An entry in the right click Send To menu is also handy, but Vista does not appear to have a Send To folder that you can just add your own shortcuts to (it may have been moved to the registry, or something). Somebody should have created a program to add this option by now, or a description of how to do it manually.

The 'startup logo 0' line will eliminate the need for the play CD most of the time. For the blessing ceremony, the game will not crash if you do not have the CD in a drive, but it will not ask for the disk either. I'm pretty sure it reacts the same as the no-CD hack, and your character ends up stuck just outside the council hall with part of the game waiting for the cutscene to finish, and part not playing the cutscene because it can not find the files on the play CD.
I think in that case you would have to reload your last save and hit the gong again to trigger the blessing ceremony. This causes a one way trip to the final area of the game, so you would most likely want to save before hitting the gong, anyway.

I don't know exactly what the quickstart option does. The Alpha bit option is used to fix a few graphics problems (mentioned in the readme.txt file) if certain techniques were not supported by the video card. I have seen the color mode option in my config.div file, but I am pretty sure it was listed as 'rgb 555'; I'm not sure what option triggers this entry.

stranger
stranger
just changed resolution to 1920 x 1080 and forget playing windowed mode. i didn't expect it to but the game runs every more beautiful at these higher resolutions on my 40.5". i just figured it would stretch and mess up everything but displays perfect.

apprentice
apprentice
Where is this config.div file located on the steam version of Divinity 2 ego draconis, for Windows 7. I have looked through all the files in the steams game directory and cannot find any file named config, nor any folder called Run, etc. can someone please help me?

Live Fast, Fight Hard.
Hustle, Loyalty, Respect.

\:\) ;\) \:D JOHN CENA \:D ;\) \:\)

(WWE. World Wrestling Entertainment, Heavyweight Champion)
Support
Support

D2:ED doesn't use a config.div file, and this is a Divine Divinity forum.

For D2:ED see the topic major bug with resolutions (i have a fix for you); the graphics options file is in the folder

C:\Users\ %username% \AppData\Local\Divinity 2\Profile

For Divine Divinity, the download version got rid of the run folder, and moved everything up one level. As described above (Vista/7 remapping savegame folders, etc) the configuration file may be in the folder below.

C:\Users\ %account name% \AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Divine Divinity

apprentice
apprentice
I was able to search the file path you provided me with, as the following:

C:\Users\ %account name% \AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\

But after Program files, there is no Divinity folder of any kind, only 4 folders, 2 games and 2 other programs. there are no folders at all that have any kind of name Divine Divinity or divinity etc.

As for this path:

C:\Users\ %username% \AppData\Local\Divinity 2\Profile

I did find the divinity 2 folder and profile folder, but there is no file called config. These are the folders that are located in profile folder:

achievements.dv2
graphicoptions.xml
settings.dv2

Those 3 files are all there is. I am unable to access the Settings file or the Achievements file, but I am able to access the graphicoptions.xml file while using Notepad++. the only problem is, that file i am able to access only has a couple of options in it, such as resolution settings etc, no major config settings. It has exactly as I will copy and paste right here now.

**Basically these are just all the main settings for just the graphics section of the games settings. I think I need to find out how to access the Settings file, but i do not know how to and do not want to do anything that is going to damage the game, but of course I would create backups of any file I edit.

Thanks for your help so far. smile

Last edited by alison22000; 27/09/10 11:40 PM. Reason: I said some incorrect information

Live Fast, Fight Hard.

Support
Support

In D2:ED the resolution should be listed in the graphicoptions.xml file. I don't know if there are any other settings that can be changed over and above the ones that can be accessed from within the game.

apprentice
apprentice
Cool, thanks for the help I changed the grapics folder to my desktops res setting, so it is helping me play. thanks heaps for all the help you gave me.

Live Fast, Fight Hard.

veteran
veteran
I wish you much success with playing Divine Divinity, it's soooo a great game smile !!
(I simply can't stop playing it for yearsssssss biggrin !)

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard