Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
apprentice
apprentice
I also want to know if you can create female playable character..

M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Originally Posted by Ragon_der_Magier
P.S.: Hope this didn´t hurt your feelings, Mac, one of the oh-so-many-fathers of Div2??!
grin

Don't worry about it! grin Plus, "one of the fathers of Divinity II"? I never thought of my job that way, pretty cool description. wink

I am in blood
Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by cloudia
I also want to know if you can create female playable character..

Definitely. You can choose between male and female player characters and customize their appearance. Additionally, a lot of effort was spent on creating cool and very detailed equipment sets for both male and female player characters.

Lar

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Raito
Right, the video looks awesome.

Btw, in Divine Divinity, your character could sleep with both genders in the brothel. Will this game be pushing beyond that: allowing your character to choose his sexual identity? (Not just sex but social interaction)

(Edit: I'd love to see some system reqs being posted, somewhere in the future when you've got those down pat.)

P.S. I'm assuming that there's only a male main character, right? smile

Regarding social identity - it's something we'd have loved to do, but the amount of dialog trees is already so large that that would've made things explode, so the differences between male/female are limited. I wouldn't worry too much about that though, the options for character development are quite extended. We'll be announcing a couple of them in the coming months.

Regarding system specs - the screenshots you are seeing come from Geforce 8800 dual-core systems running in full HD (1080p). Our target is to have it run on 7800 cards. Because the game also runs on an Xbox360, it's more optimized than if it'd only have been a PC game. A 360 game has to be able to run from DVD using only 512Mb, so the benifits for the PC version are clear.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lar_q
[
Regarding system specs - the screenshots you are seeing come from Geforce 8800 dual-core systems running in full HD (1080p).

Ah brilliant, just my specs... \o/

It's one of these days...
stranger
stranger
It's really funny how it all comes together now. It used to be awfully quite, and the only screen I could find was the one in the swamp smile (which is my desktop background :p)
Now we get tons of screenshots, and some gorgeous movies.
I have to say that it looks really, really nice; BUT in all honesty, I see a bit too many Asian influences.. why the huge swords, with the strange shapes?
It could give a superb result though, so I guess I'll just have faith in Larian, after all.. they are the developers smile

The best games are made in Belgium smile
Yes I'd like to know what kind of pc you need to play the game properly.

Low, mid or high range...?

E pensando di lei
Mi sopragiunse uno soave sonno
Ego dominus tuus
Vide cor tuum
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Khamul
Yes I'd like to know what kind of pc you need to play the game properly.

Low, mid or high range...?

since it's the (modified?) oblivion engine.. I'd say mid to high range..more to the high range, I think.

Last edited by Tottel; 08/08/08 10:22 AM.

The best games are made in Belgium smile
old hand
old hand
I've just read the GameStar article, but I didn't want to open another thread for it.

Looks like we won't get dynamic day/night cycles, and without that I guess there won't be NPC 24/7 schedules aswell frown

veteran
veteran
Looking again at the screens I've got a problem with it...

Well problem rolleyes a remark tho, cut down on the bloom. Subtle bloom works out better imo, there's no reason why metal swords should look like lightsabres once the sun touches it.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Have you ever seen a sword in the sun ?

Using the right angle, I could imagine a similar "flashing" look.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
veteran
veteran
I agree, using the right angle, but nearly all games I've played overuse bloom so much it looks like the sword is made of extremely hot plasma if it just faces in the general direction of the sun or whatever lightsource.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Draghermosran
Looking again at the screens I've got a problem with it...

Well problem rolleyes a remark tho, cut down on the bloom. Subtle bloom works out better imo, there's no reason why metal swords should look like lightsabres once the sun touches it.

Believe me, this issue sparkled many debates in the art department...

veteran
veteran
Yaw, well, it´s fine that you mention
- but what has been the outcome?
We´re eager to hear about the outcome - towards further fueling our fears (=overuse of bloom) or settling our nerves? think

A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by Draghermosran
but nearly all games I've played overuse bloom so much it looks like the sword is made of extremely hot plasma

Flowers on a sword ??? confused

--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
stranger
stranger
And I have a funny feeling the debate is still on-going grin

About the bloom. We are well aware of the issues we still have on that side. It's not really a problem of bloom intensity, but more a problem of textures which need to be tweaked to fit the bloom settings (which are actually HDR settings, but I'm not going to bore you guys to death with this technical mumbo-jumbo).

Let's take the sword for example. As Alrik pointed out, under the right angle you would expect to see this kind of "over-brightness". That's what specularity (in the best case reflection) is supposed to do.
But as Draghermosran (man that's a hard name to type :P) said, most swords appear too bright no matter what direction they are in. This usually is caused by the actual color map which is too bright. add the specularity on top + fancy bloom settings and every sword looks like a light saber.

But enough ranting, all I really wanted to say is that we are still tweaking settings/textures smile

veteran
veteran
I see it with great satisfaction and appreciation at the same time, that now the coming of Divinity 2 is offical (after years of absolute silence and almost unbearable secrecy as far as we are concerned suspicion ), you´re now finally "coming out of the closet", one-by-one! up
wave

Thanks for this little insight on the common hot topic of "Bloom in the modern engines", Koen! smile

Ragon, the very interested Mage
cool2

veteran
veteran
Koen, did you study in Ghent (KAHO?)

Anyway: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_rendering for more information

I don't mind the bloom that much but more the fact that the in tire sword blooms. I think only a part should bloom/flare depending on where the sun hits it. But still, I like the shiny things.

Not in the mood for cheese?
That excuse has more holes than a slice this fine Gorgombert!
On the 5th screenshot, did I see a mana potion on the table there? ^^

E pensando di lei
Mi sopragiunse uno soave sonno
Ego dominus tuus
Vide cor tuum
A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by Morbo
but more the fact that the in tire sword blooms.

Why not make an easteregg out of it ?

A sword which has colourful blooms painted on it ... wink

--Dilbert cartoon

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard