Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Morbo Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Well tomorrow the LHC will start.

The good folks at reddit and fark have sent them a wrecking bar an half live strategy guide.

http://blog.reddit.com/2008/09/crowbar-headcrab-and-half-life-strategy.html

btw:

[Linked Image]

and don't forget to refresh http://www.hasthelhcdestroyedtheearth.com/ tomorrow.

Personall yi get a kick out of all the LHC jokes around the web.

Not in the mood for cheese?
That excuse has more holes than a slice this fine Gorgombert!
A
veteran
veteran
A
The LHC is seriously worrying me. Because of the possibility of small Black Holes.

And yet no-one was really able to falsify the critics.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
Support
Support

From Scientists get death threats over Large Hadron Collider

The new report published today provides the most comprehensive evidence available to confirm that nature's own cosmic rays regularly produce more powerful particle collisions than those planned within the LHC.

The LHC Safety Assessment Group has reviewed and updated a study first completed in 2003, which dispels fears of universe-gobbling black holes and of other possibly dangerous new forms of matter, and confirms that the switch-on will be safe.

The report, 'Review of the Safety of LHC Collisions', published in the Journal of Physics G: Nuclear and Particle Physics, proves that if particle collisions at the LHC had the power to destroy the Earth, we would never have been given the chance to worry about the LHC, because regular interactions with more energetic cosmic rays would already have destroyed the Earth.

The Safety Assessment Group writes, "Nature has already conducted the equivalent of about a hundred thousand LHC experimental programmes on Earth - and the planet still exists."

Morbo Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
The LHC is seriously worrying me. Because of the possibility of small Black Holes.

And yet no-one was really able to falsify the critics.

Those micro black holes would disappear due to hawking evaporation***

***theoretical concept

You should worry more about the inter dimensional rifts and head crabs

Last edited by Morbo; 10/09/08 04:51 AM.

veteran
veteran
Learn particle physics in five minutes with the Large Hadron Rap! And it's fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50ZssEojtM

veteran
veteran
And when referring to the Large Hadron Collider, please don't misspell Hadron as Hardon. ouch

M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
LoL @ Gordon! biggrin

Still, success for 'Big Bang' experiment.

Guess it wasn't the end of the world after all, not yet. wink

I am in blood
Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er.
veteran
veteran
Well, I for one am horrified I wasn't sucked into an enormous black hole this morning! Horrified, I say! laugh

Please click the banner...
old hand
old hand
One of my classmates asked our chemistry teacher about this. The conversation went something like this:

C(lassmate): Sir, is it true that they will try to make a miniature Big Bang?
T(eacher): Yes
C: And is it true that black holes can be formed in the proces?
T: Yes
C: Black holes are the things that suck up everything around them right?
C: So there might be a chance we're all gonna be sucked into this hole?
C: What happens when we are sucked into such a hole?
T: Well, you are decomposed into atoms.
C: So we die?
T: Theoreticly, yes

at that point half my class started to freak out, it was hilarious, our teacher had to spend 10 minutes calming them and explaining them that the chance it would happen is very small.
Best chemistry lesson ever laugh

M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Originally Posted by isorun
at that point half my class started to freak out, it was hilarious, our teacher had to spend 10 minutes calming them and explaining them that the chance it would happen is very small

I hope the scientists would only have risked this if the chance of this happening wasn't very small, but non existant. I don't know about that though.

I am in blood
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Macbeth
at that point half my class started to freak out, it was hilarious, our teacher had to spend 10 minutes calming them and explaining them that the chance it would happen is very small

I hope the scientists would only have risked this if the chance of this happening wasn't very small, but non existant. I don't know about that though.

Scientists as a whole (And I'm aware I'm generalizing and it won't apply to all) tend to be 'lab smart' but totally lacking in common sense. So I'd say there was a very GOOD chance they'd do it if they figured the risk was worth it to gain their ends - and ends tend to be everything to many scientists.

Which is why we should never allow scientists to run the world laugh

Morbo Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Elliot_Kane
Originally Posted by Macbeth

Scientists as a whole (And I'm aware I'm generalizing and it won't apply to all) tend to be 'lab smart' but totally lacking in common sense. So I'd say there was a very GOOD chance they'd do it if they figured the risk was worth it to gain their ends - and ends tend to be everything to many scientists.

Which is why we should never allow scientists to run the world laugh

As a Physics enthusiast, you guys scare me. I was only joking. The collision of protons only last a couple of nano seconds. And if scientists would have ruled the world we would have gotten warp drive already! (technically it is space folding drive)

old hand
old hand
My teacher thought the chance that a black hole would become uncontrollable was about one on twenty(he took a pause there) million.

An additional note: the protons are scheduled to collide in about a month, so anyone thinking the world was about to disapear today, doesn't has to worry for about three weeks laugh.

Also, I don't know if our teacher was joking or not, but IF we actually would end up with an uncontrollable black hole(which is really small as mentioned before) we might pass through a wormhole within the black hole(and that chance is even smaller) ending up in another dimension.

I wonder what will happen after a succesful collision of the protons. If the scientists get the necessary data, they'll be able to build theory's about what happend the first few seconds after the miniature Big Bang. What will happen to religion, 'cause some religions explain that Earth was created by a superior being.

M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Originally Posted by Morbo
As a Physics enthusiast, you guys scare me. I was only joking. The collision of protons only last a couple of nano seconds. And if scientists would have ruled the world we would have gotten warp drive already! (technically it is space folding drive)

Don't get me wrong Morbo; smile I support this kind of experiment 100%. We might as well still live in caves if we didn't explore all there is to explore. Long as we do it responsibly, which these scientist no doubt surely do, there is no problem whatsoever.

I am in blood
veteran
veteran
My teacher thought the chance that a black hole would become uncontrollable was about one on twenty(he took a pause there) million.

An additional note: the protons are scheduled to collide in about a month, so anyone thinking the world was about to disapear today, doesn't has to worry for about three weeks laugh.

Also, I don't know if our teacher was joking or not, but IF we actually would end up with an uncontrollable black hole(which is really small as mentioned before) we might pass through a wormhole within the black hole(and that chance is even smaller) ending up in another dimension.

I wonder what will happen after a succesful collision of the protons. If the scientists get the necessary data, they'll be able to build theory's about what happend the first few seconds after the miniature Big Bang. What will happen to religion, 'cause some religions explain that Earth was created by a superior being.

I can answer that one right now, Isorun. Nothing whatsoever will happen to any religion.

All this experiment will do is cause a reaction similar to what scientists think might have happened after a putative Big Bang. And it won't in any way answer the most important question of all - what caused the Big Bang in the first place.

veteran
veteran
hey why has noone made a film about this yet? like the core? only with an even worse plot....

It's one of these days...
A
veteran
veteran
A
I guess I'm reading too much of Terry Pratchett again (Going Postal for the 2nd time), but I've invented a kind of satire:

A very interested child is asking its parents:
"Why are there no other civilizations except us out there in the universe ?"
"Because at one point during their evolution, they all built their own hadron colliders which produced small Black Holes which sucked them up."
"So this is kind of an intelligence test ?"
"Yes, it almost appears so ..."

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
veteran
veteran
would be nice if there's a LHC reference in div2 grin

@ everyone especially HEF & Al -> wave claphands

@ isorun -> the teacher might have an easier time had he told the students that LHC = Light-Hearted Collider.

......a gift from LaFille......

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard