Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
journeyman
journeyman
I' d like to know if when we finish the game we can continue to play in the same world...or we must begin a new game...

addict
addict
I guess that would depend on whether monsters respawn with each game or if dead=dead as in DD. Or else maybe something like the battlefields of BD (but better implemented) could be a feature.

Last edited by flixerflax; 03/09/08 02:22 AM.
addict
addict
The story has ended, quests are done, what is it that there is left to do in the world? Just killing monsters? That sounds a bit dull.
Let it be done at the end and invest the time in a mod toolkit instead I would say.

See me @ The Locus Inn & RPGWatch
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Raze

As Lar explained in the topic I'd love to see a coop-mp (for those who have not seen it), multi-player support was put on hold due to the difficulty reconciling that style of play with the complex story and quest system they wanted to create. As it is virtually impossible that they will be dramatically changing the story or quest system at this point, multi-player support before release is extremely unlikely.

Lar did use the work 'hold', though, so it at least leaves open the possibility that they may at least be considering a way to add some form of multi-player support in a hypothetical later patch or expansion. Maybe.
If they have spare time after release, though, I'd rather modding tools be given priority over multi-player support, if it boils down to a choice between the two (which it probably will not, as there are other factors to consider in either case).

I still have hope, for I love co-op smile

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Myrthos
The story has ended, quests are done, what is it that there is left to do in the world? Just killing monsters? That sounds a bit dull.
Let it be done at the end and invest the time in a mod toolkit instead I would say.

This game is getting compared to Oblivion quite a lot, but as there pops no other game in mind, i'l have to use the newest Elder Scrolls game as an example too.
In Oblivion you had the main questline, which you could finish whenever you wanted, and continue side quests and guild quests after you finished the main quest.

Ofcours it all depends on the story of Div2, if the main plot changes the gaming world drasticly, it would make sense that we're not able to continue playing after we finished the storyline.

addict
addict
You already loose side quests you have not completed yet at certain events in the game (like all the dragonslayer side quests becoming obsolete once you become a dragon). Finishing the game would be an event that makes a lot of side quests obsolete I think. So I doubt there is anything left to do.
They could be generating all kinds of quests after that point, but that would require additional QA time as well. I hope they will spend that time on the mod kit instead.

old hand
old hand
What is the point in a mod kit anyway? To let everyone create their own quest or something? Why not let Larian start work on their next project when this is over. Some things are better left alone when finished.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Myrthos

Replay it, choose other options, other responses and enjoy it again.

Games tend to end at a point, and with the free world in ED I'm sure if you want to, you can do all avaible quests before you finnish the game.

It's one of these days...
addict
addict
Yes you are right about that. I was referring to continue playing after you finsihed the game without starting a new one.

I think it will take you a very long time to play out all he quest options though.

Q
stranger
stranger
Q
I would much rather have a game worth 3 or 4 play throughs of 30 hrs each with different roleplaying options than one long 100 hr game with one character and no reason to replay. (i.e. I would rather not have a game like Oblivion)

Support
Support

Playing after the end of the main story line could also allow you to see the results of your actions. You could see towns being rebuilt, talk to various NPCs and find out how things turned out for them, have people congratulate you or throw a feast in your honour, etc. In order to do this right, though, it could take a fair bit of work (extra dialog, etc) for little benefit (nice to have, but probably not missed if it wasn't in). Cutscenes during the credits could serve a similar purpose with less effort.

In one of the RPGs on the original Nintendo you could run around an talk to people after the end of the game. You pretty much just got a handful of random responses from most NPCs, but it was nice to do anyway. I'm not sure it makes sense on the scale it would need to be to stay consistent with the rest of ED, depending on what the end of the main story is.

What is the point in a mod kit anyway?

Mods can range from simply adding areas or tweaking skills, monsters, balancing, etc to creating entirely separate games. Many of the mods created for Neverwinter Nights were considered superior to the official single player campaign, and helped it become more popular than it probably would have been otherwise. Of course ED isn't starting off with a weak story like NWN, but mods could still add value and extend the life of the game (if Larian does end up releasing mod tools, we may be able to play ED until DD3 is release biggrin ).

old hand
old hand
Yeh, thought that is all mod kits did. With how the game is made story wise, probably will be more of a waste of time.

About exploring the world after the game ends. There was a sega game called Sword of Vermillion that allowed you to walk back to your home town after you beat the game. Of course it was a very linear game where you had only one path to go and it took 15 minutes to wander all the way back home. Also all monsters were dead so you didn't have any battles. Some players I've read named themselves "kong" to be called King Kong by the villagers at the end of the game.

I think there were a hand full of old games that did that now that I'm thinking back. Thinking back that far is scary, spiders don't even make webs that far back any more *shudder*.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
A
veteran
veteran
A
What I'd *really* like to see is feedback !

When I've solved a quest, then I'd like to have the opportunity to go back and as the initial quest -giver about it.

Not only because of some rewards, but also for how the NPC "sees" the result.

Even more, it would be nice, if former quest-givers would comment of developments within the region, some of which the PC is responsible for.

An example from Drakensang is one boss of a band of highwaymen, who has been driven out of his former living place, a ruin of a castle. So now he and his band live in an different part of that wood because of this.

After my character "cleared" the ruin, it was free for him and his band to live there again.

I didn't go back to tell him that, because the other inhabitants of the wood (who to some extend were involved - directly or indirectly - in the events around this ruined castle) didn't give any feedback on the PC "clearing" the ruins. So I expected from this highwayman no comment either.

But this is in fact the kind of feedback I'd like to see: feedback on current developments, some of which the PC is responsible for, some which affect the NPCs directly or even indirectly.

At the end, if my character goes back to the place he or she started the journey (the game), there the people might comment on him and on his deeds, too.

And maybe even declare him King or her Queen, if she had been good in the "minds" of the NPCs ...

Last edited by AlrikFassbauer; 05/09/08 08:03 PM.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
Lar_q Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Regarding feedback - I think that flows directly from our ambition to put in consequences to the choices you make. In the presentation I gave in Leipzig there was the example of the the farmer who got betrayed by his wife. I ratted on her and as a result she ran off to her lover. When I would've gone to the blacksmith I'd have seen that she now lives with the blacksmith and is very angry at me. Likewise, her former husband is very sad though he is happy that I told him about it. Other choices would've had different consequences, which would've resulted in different feedback.

Regarding mods - It's really a question of where we put our effort in. Right now it's in the game and not in providing a mod toolkit, though obviously we have a whole range of tools to make the game. It would take some effort to make them usable for the community, but if the opportunity would arise, it'd be something I'd very much like to do. I guess it'll really depend on how much demand there is for such a toolkit. I think it might be more sensible to link a mod toolkit with a multiplayer mode, than just release it for single player.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lar_q
Regarding feedback - I think that flows directly from our ambition to put in consequences to the choices you make. In the presentation I gave in Leipzig there was the example of the the farmer who got betrayed by his wife. I ratted on her and as a result she ran off to her lover. When I would've gone to the blacksmith I'd have seen that she now lives with the blacksmith and is very angry at me. Likewise, her former husband is very sad though he is happy that I told him about it. Other choices would've had different consequences, which would've resulted in different feedback.

This is awesome.

A modkit is awsome even without MP.
I totally understand if you want to work on the game instead of a toolkit atm but i would be very happy to see a modkit released after the game's release. If it would come with MP as you implied is still possible that would be even more awsome but not necessary.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by NeroJB

This is awesome.

Agreed.

Please click the banner...

I would assume this would mean higher prices for the blacksmith's goods as well, but I guess it could go either way. His mistress is peaved at you, so he raises prices, or even refuses to do business with you. OR, he is happy that you spilled the beans and his lady is now with him all the time, so he favors you with lower prices. OR, he thinks he had a really good deal before, was getting his on the side without the hassles of a fulltime nag, and now takes out his biggest cleaver and wants to cut your head off! laugh Either way, it all sounds cool!

Is reality just a fantasy?
stranger
stranger
Hurray............................................

+I come to cleanse this land+
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard