Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lynn Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
For our German fans - the cover of the latest issue of PC Games is dedicated to div2 and in the magazine you'll find 6 pages of Divinity 2 news including several new screenshots. The journalist writes about a 3 hour walkthrough through the game and talks about what his impressions of the game were. He concludes by saying

"Was uns Larian Studios vor Ort gezeigt hat, war interessant, abwechslungsreich und lief verblüffend stabil under ruckelfrei. Zwar gibt es noch kleinere Punkte an denen es hapert, aber wenn sich die Belgier wirklich die kommenden sechs Monate mit Balancing und Optimierung beschäftigen, dürfte nichts schiefgehen."

If you can't find PC Games, the latest issue of PC Action also contains a 3 page story on Divinity 2.

---

For our French fans
- Joystick has a 4 page story on div2 and also includes a host of new screenshots. The journalist gives a detailed account of what he saw in a lenghty presentation of the game and puts focus on the inspirations and influences he's seen as well as on the overal design philosophy. Quite an interesting read. He concludes by saying:

"Une chose est sûre, il a les épaules pour jouer dans la cour des grands RPG."

Lynn Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
ps: a little more can be seen at Facebook wink

PC Games and Joystick

If you have an account at Facebook, please join us:

Divinity 2 Facebook Group
Divinity 2 Facebook Page

enthusiast
enthusiast
"Pourquoi Larian Studios se trouve-t-il en Belgique? Ce pays de fous qui change de gouvernement plus souvent que Sundin de sac à main?"

Hahahaha... classic. Those crazy Frenchies.

I don't suppose someone can link or post an english translation for the full review(s)? I'm at work and game magazine sites are firewalled. cry

Is reality just a fantasy?
A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by swordscythe
"Pourquoi Larian Studios se trouve-t-il en Belgique? Ce pays de fous qui change de gouvernement plus souvent que Sundin de sac à main?"

Hahahaha... classic. Those crazy Frenchies.

What does this mean in German language ? Or in English language ?

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
enthusiast
enthusiast
loosely translated:

"Why is Larian a Belgian company? That country of crazies who change governments like nurses change bedpans?"

Indulge me and translate it in German for me? My german is a bit basic and rusty, I wanted to translate it in German as well, but found I couldn't accurately.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Warum ist Larian eine belgische Firma? Das Land der Verrückten, die ihre Regierung so oft wechseln, wie Krankenschwestern Bettpfannen.

smile

Based on your translation and maybe translated a bit too word-for-word(y?) ^^

"They say if you play the Windows XP CD backward, you can hear satanic words." - "Oh, that's nothing. If you play it forward it installs Windows XP...!"
enthusiast
enthusiast
haha, thanks smile

Yeah, I didn't know the correlation between a certain Sundin and handbags, so I just switched that out and used the first thing that came to mind

A
veteran
veteran
A
Thanks.

Sounds crazy, yes.

Either the writer of these lines has a certain age and writes for exactly that audience,
or he or she is a cynic.

--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
veteran
veteran
isn't an exact translation Al, I don't know who Sundin is but the jest could very well be "Paris Hilton changing handbags".

So its either a writer for E! or a cynic :p

It's one of these days...
enthusiast
enthusiast
That would work.. As I said, it was only what came to mind, I never really thought it through.

And it's not really that they're cynics, it's just that, especially for neighbouring countries, there has been a lot of media attention for our governmental exploits lately.. in large part because of the juxtaposition of the two major Belgian ethnicities, one French-speaking, one Dutch-speaking.. The French press of course gets the French-speaking side of the media, and have a certain 'coloured outlook' on the conflict, but it's inevitably the most internationally mediatic train of events of the past few years. Imagine that, if an Iraqi company would put out a videogame, I doubt any American reviewer could refrain from throwing in a reference to the recent events in that country. France is very involved, especially since French officials have been a bit biased in their outlook, which has caused some considerable commotion in the Dutch-speaking part of the country, where Larian happens to be situated.

I'm sure this all makes very little sense to you all, but just to explain how this comment came about. It's not really a cynical kind of criticism, it's more of a slightly satirical reference to actuality.

A
veteran
veteran
A
I do know about the government problems of Belgium, and it concernes and worries me very much. Sometimes, I can do nothing but shake my head very much.

But on the other hand I wouldn't call it that way like in the article, because that would seem impolite to me.

--Dilbert cartoon

Sounds crazy, yes.

Either the writer of these lines has a certain age and writes for exactly that audience,
or he or she is a cynic.

It's not crazy at all, it's the truth grin

I do know about the government problems of Belgium, and it concernes and worries me very much. Sometimes, I can do nothing but shake my head very much.

But there's no reason at all to be concerned grin

E pensando di lei
Mi sopragiunse uno soave sonno
Ego dominus tuus
Vide cor tuum
journeyman
journeyman
Ok, maybe it's time to say that Sundin is one of the guys writing for the magazine. Making fun of each others in the redaction team is a habit for them, most of the regular readers get the jokes immediately but, indeed, it's probably very obscure for first timers (and foreigners).

As for the French, they don't have any 'coloured' version of the situation, most of them just don't care. They've just heard about it on the news once or twice but that's it.
It's just common knowledge that we, Belgians, are leaving in a weird, malfunctioning country and they enjoy having fun about it. Even more in this magazine because there's a bunch of Belgians in the team. And Belgians are probably amongst the favourite subjects for jokes in France anyway.

I'm Belgian but I live very close to the French border, in the traditionnaly most 'French' part of the country (Picardie), and I can assure you that most French didn't even know Dutch was spoken in Belgium until something like 10 or 15 years ago (don't even talk about German). When a Flemish person was appearing on French TV, that person was speaking French with a funny accent they used to call 'the belgian accent'. So they're far from grasping the whole linguistic and geopolitic situation (why would they care anyway?) and this comment was really without any political implication. It was just a joke...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Madawg

As for the French, they don't have any 'coloured' version of the situation,

I can assure you that most French didn't even know Dutch was spoken in Belgium until something like 10 or 15 years ago (don't even talk about German).

How do you not recognize that as a coloured outlook, based on ignorance rather than an accurate view of the real identity of Belgium's shambles? Whence come comments as "why don't you all speak French?" This is of course inconsequential, except when a European committee is figuratively drenched with Frenchmen furthering their own lingual ideals to judge the future of Belgium, rightly causing some outrage, the more because it was so obviously swayed by certain lobbies who like to proverbially 'bite the hand that feeds them'.

I always find that paradoxical, because at around the same time of that singular problem's appearance I saw a BBC political programme where a French politician was besieged with questions of why the French didn't just all speak English, and they didn't really let him explain. I felt sorry for the poor guy, and I feel it's only natural that all be allowed and able to speak their native tongues in the land of their cultural identity. It would be sort of silly if Danes had to speak mostly Polish in Denmark to simply communicate, due to the influx of Polish people who deem it unimportant to learn the Danish tongue.

Regardless, this is not the time, nor the place to further one's political agenda, and perhaps the reference in that article, IS misplaced and politically tainted if the magazine is actually sold in Belgium to obviously only one lingual identity, as that would give it a political objective rather than a mostly satirical one, if it were only sold in France.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, back to discussing the rest of the interview smile

Last edited by swordscythe; 21/02/09 11:23 AM.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard