Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
addict
addict
Well, I should have said, "Why should I spend hundreds of dollars..."

If you already own a PC, then really the only function a console would have is games. If not, I guess it would make a good cd/dvd player. Then again, a dvd player is hundreds of dollars cheaper. But really, surfing internet on those things?

If forced to make a choice, PC wins. If you already have a PC, then a console is redundant and unneccessary for eveything except for it's game selection. And again, by my own personal tastes, the games are not at all worth it.

veteran
veteran
Yes, you can surf in the internet on those things, why not? It's not as comfortable as on the PC maybe, but lying on the couch in front of the TV and surfing a bit is not bad at all.

Plus, I tried to make clear that a modern console is more than just a gaming device - even if you have a PC.

Let's assume your PC is in your office room and your TV is in your living room. How do you want to watch your movies then? You need an extra device in order to stream from your PC for example... or you need a DVD player or - and that's the best reason for a PS3 - a Blu-ray player. If you have a modern console, you can use it as a media center in your living room via network connection to your PC... plus don't need a standalone DVD or HD-DVD/BD player.

And yes, no need to discuss about personal tastes... but playing Gran Turismo or Little Big Planet for example on the PS3 is quite an experience which I can't get on a PC. So those would be two examples of good exclusive games on a console.

To make it short: Every system has its advantages. Most people have a PC and many need it anyway (for work for example). But I don't see the reason why to categorically say no to consoles... you can have both and you can have fun with both. The only aspect is money in this matter and honestly, Xbox 360 and PS3 are not that expensive anymore actually.

Nigel Powers: "There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch!"
enthusiast
enthusiast
I personally don't have a console, because I never felt the need for one... but as for the CD/DVD player, I bought mine for less than a fifth of the price a console would've cost... And it's also a boombox.. and it has its own little screen. And remote. If I'd have bought a console and expected to surf on it or do some other tasks that the latest consoles have in common with PCs, then I'd have to buy numerous expensive additions that would make my console cost as much as, or more than my PC, and it does only a fraction of the things.

If you want to have bluray, I guess the PS3's the best way to go about it... but why would anyone want bluray?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by swordscythe
If you want to have bluray, I guess the PS3's the best way to go about it... but why would anyone want bluray?

Well, obviously because the image quality is way better than on DVD? (in most cases at least) The price is going down, too...

Nigel Powers: "There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch!"
addict
addict
All good points, Elgi. Most don't apply to me personally at the moment, though. I don't have an office and a living room - still a student in a tiny apartment. The PC is in the living room, same as the TV. My monitor is actually bigger than my TV, and the PC's hooked up to the stereo because it serves as my jukebox. I probably painted consoles as less versatile than they really are, but they just don't offer me anything ATM.

veteran
veteran
I'd go for pc. When it comes to rpg's i have'nt found one on console that was as good as on pc.
Not that there arent any good ones console though.

Joliekiller, paladin on a crusade against (almost) all evil.
veteran
veteran
The main types of game I play are RTS (No console has ever created one that was playable, let alone good) and RPGs - NOT JRPGs, the Western version. Most of those don't exist on consoles, either. My PC is connected to my stereo, and serves as games centre, music centre, DVD player and (Of course) internet centre. Browsing without the ability to type doesn't help me run my forum, so consoles would be useless to me there.

My actual TV is quite old, has a smaller screen than my monitor and only sees use as a PS2 player, honestly. Brit TV is not that worth watching, most of the time.

If my PC goes, I'm stuffed, games-wise, but that's what the PS2 is for! laugh

Please click the banner...
journeyman
journeyman
In terms of consoles, I have my PS3 primarily for Blu-ray. Watching movies with high quality video and lossless sound in a 5.1 setup on the big screen is something I'd never want to go back on. That I have a PS3 allows me to play the occasional console game or do any other number of things (listen to music, watch video, view pictures, etc, all streamed from my PC).

So, I've nothing against consoles; my preference for Div2 is PC, is all.

Of course, if you don't have the setup for Blu-ray, that's hardly going to be a selling feature. You need the rest of the home theatre to make it worthwhile.

stranger
stranger
PC version looks 4 times sharper then the 360 version, but i like the 360 just for the controls, i dont mind graphics wink

Last edited by veteranpants; 10/04/09 08:35 PM.

old hand
old hand
PC

I don't own an X-box nor the money to purchase one. Rather have a ps3 than X-box due to the games released for it.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
apprentice
apprentice
As for me, I don't actually know, I'm still thinking about this.
It would be great if someone could help me choose.

So the thing is this, I have 360 Elite, but by the time the game releases I'll have a pretty powerful rig(Intel Core I7-920 2.66GHz, XFX GF GTX260, etc...).

People are always saying that pc games will have better graphics and technically they are superior to consoles, but when the game is released, I see on gametrailers or gamespot, that the 360 version is superior to pc version, what gives?? And will this be an exception.

Another thing is the controls. In games like Oblivion and Fallout, 360 controller seems to be the best, but for me it isn't a problem, because there seems to be a way to connect 360 controller to pc(Don't know how yet).

Lets not forget people that pc version is a port from the 360 version(Like all other games out there) and when games release, the pc version seems to have more bugs then any other version.

So yeah, but I'm starting to think that pc is the way to go because I probably will be able to max out all the settings, what do you guys think??

My first post and my first Edit biggrin.

Last edited by The EvilAlex; 13/04/09 01:48 PM.
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Play it on whatever system YOU want, if you still can't decide, read this thread and you will know what benefits are for certain platforms and then decide what suits you best

Last edited by drazac; 13/04/09 03:04 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by veteranpants
PC version looks 4 times sharper then the 360 version, but i like the 360 just for the controls, i dont mind graphics wink

You do know the 360 screens that we have are early dev screens and the PC ones are up to date.

apprentice
apprentice
Then probably the pc, but I really hope that both versions will be solid and the DLC will have the same value(Not that I'm saying that the pc's DLC will be different from the 360's, but some games have this thing).

By the way are there screens from the pc version of the game??

Last edited by The EvilAlex; 13/04/09 03:32 PM.
old hand
old hand
http://divinity2.com/
Click media then screens most of them seem to be PC and 1 or 2 360 screens.

apprentice
apprentice
Ok, but how do you know that??

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by The EvilAlex

Lets not forget people that pc version is a port from the 360 version(Like all other games out there) and when games release, the pc version seems to have more bugs then any other version.

Where have you gotten that statement from?

And for who asked how to differenciate the screens it is really easy, xbox ones are the blurry ones wink

i can say that the pc is NOT a port

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Arkray
Originally Posted by The EvilAlex

Where have you gotten that statement from?

And for who asked how to differenciate the screens it is really easy, xbox ones are the blurry ones wink

Yep I think the 360 version needs a bit more polish and it'll be fine.
I dont think the 360 versions a port I think they're being worked on parallel to each other.

apprentice
apprentice
Sorry for that statement, allot of company's really hate that word, but I don't have anything against it. I will try not to use it biggrin.

I think it was in one interview, IGN or Gamespot, I think.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard