Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#364104 23/06/09 11:12 PM
Rythok Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Hello everyone,

I am interested in learning what's everyone's opinion on music in games. Do you like it soft and barely noticeable, or present and epic? Which games have music that you absolutely love?

To me, music can make a huge difference in how much I enjoy a game. Though it is by no means essential that the music be great for a game to be enjoyable, I think it can greatly increase the amount of emotion coming out of certain moments in a game. I usually prefer a louder and more epic score than some moody tunes, although it obviously depends on what action is happening in the game.

Some games with music I love:

Divine Divinity - Kirill Pokrovsky's Bitva is the song that made me want to try out the game. I sure am glad I did as the game was incredible, the soundtrack was the best I had heard in any game at the time, although I was saddened by the fact that Bitva actually wasn't in there (or is it and I just missed it?)

Infinite Undiscovery - A title on par with DD. Although it recieved average reviews, this is one of the games I got the most fun out of in a long time, and the music suited the game perfectly. One of the best soundtracks in the last few years in my opinion.

I'll add some more if people are interested in this smile

Shikin Haramitsu Daikomyo
"Everything I encounter serves as the perfection of wisdom that leads to enlightenment."
Rythok #364117 24/06/09 08:32 AM
apprentice
apprentice
My absolute favorite game soundtrack is that of Diablo II, especially the songs from the first act. It always relaxes me and sends me off dreaming of far-away places. It also has a darker atmosphere, which I really like.

"The Large Print giveth, and the Small Print taketh away" - Tom Waits
Sektor #364182 24/06/09 07:00 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Well, for me, it partly depends where and how the music is used.

Just "filler music" can be quite boring, but I think I remember some good examples also.

In some cases I just wished there was a soundtrack CD ... I thought this for the first time with that 3D-Adventure ... um, which name I've forgot, but it was about dinosaurs and humans, a very early adventure game.

One of my favourite examples of just excellently fitting music is the soundtrack to Tropico 1 ... It just fits. 'Nuff said.
On the other hand I didn't quite like the soundtrack of Tropico 2 at all.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
W
journeyman
journeyman
W
The Witcher, Arcanum, Divine (Beyond) Divinity, Disciples II, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within... just to mention a few. All these games have great soundtrack.
Music is very important, after all it's one of the main factors in setting the mood for some game and bad music can totally ruin otherwise great game.

A
veteran
veteran
A
I often turn the music off completely. I like reading more. wink

--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
enthusiast
enthusiast
My favourite composer is definitely Nobuo Uematsu. I don't know anyone else who can transport such amounts of atmosphere in his music. The soundtacks of Final Fantasy 6-8 will always be in the top region of my personal game music hitlist. The midi-sound has its own charme, too. ^^
His songs are brilliant in the games, but when you hear them live, played by an orchestra, it blows you away. laugh

I think, it was two years ago, at the opening concert of Games Convention in Leipzig. They played "Dancing Mad", the Boss Fight song of FF6, with organ and choir and all. Never heared something like this before. Just amazing.

Though his music is really great, I like other soundtracks, too.
Turning to western games, the music from Startrail and Shadow over Riva is also very good. As well as Drakensang's. I'm listening to the CDs time by time. Never gets boring.

There are other games, like Divinity, Witcher, The Settlers 2 (new and old version), etc. where I like the music. They are just too many to remember them all and list them. laugh

But I agrre, music is one of the most important part of a game. The best story and greatest atmosphere doesn't help when there's no good music, that can bring it over to you or in worst case destroys all of it.

"They say if you play the Windows XP CD backward, you can hear satanic words." - "Oh, that's nothing. If you play it forward it installs Windows XP...!"
veteran
veteran
There are some games with excellent music. However, I usually, but not always, turn it off.

The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?
~Jeremy Bentham
Cleglaw #365411 13/07/09 10:06 AM
old hand
old hand
i love the gamemusic from "the lord of the rings online". i'd never turned the music off. i can hear it again and again. they did a great job with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnqkF2wggzc
^^ one of my favourite themes.

Last edited by ArisEiswind; 13/07/09 10:23 AM.
Rythok Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Ah yes, the music in Lord of the Rings Online is indeed very good. I still have a subscription for it that'll last me till september, but after that I plan on getting Divinity 2 and hopefully I'll be able to stop playing MMOs forever... hopefully...

I remember the first time I went into the Old Forest, the great music coupled with a giant tree chasing me in a dark and gloomy labyrinth of a forest. It was fun.

Last edited by Rythok; 13/07/09 06:19 PM.

"Everything I encounter serves as the perfection of wisdom that leads to enlightenment."
Rythok #365626 16/07/09 11:45 AM
The only music in games I loved was in Divine Divinity and in Guild Wars. For me they just maked the athmosphere of the game perfect. Kirill Pokrovsky's music stand with head and shoulder above any other game music too.

E pensando di lei
Mi sopragiunse uno soave sonno
Ego dominus tuus
Vide cor tuum
Khamul #365718 17/07/09 01:11 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Music is very important but even the formidable music of DD becomes a burden after you hear the same tune for over a couple of hours, so sometimes i turn it off.

One of the tricks imho to a player never become bored of the music (if its good in the first place), is to reduce to a minimum the number of automatic repeats. So its normaly a bad idea to hook-up a fixed location to the same music over and over.

In most cases I find the music just annoying, so I turn it off.

Of course there a some Tracks that just got me. The Titlesongs from Fullthrottle and Deus Ex come to mind. Or Still Alive from Portal.

frenki #366326 22/07/09 10:02 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Or Monkey Island. wink

--Dilbert cartoon

Yeah! I can still humm the themesong from Monkey Island.

frenki #366558 23/07/09 02:40 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Me too ! laugh

--Dilbert cartoon

Rythok Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Indeed, I just recently played the new Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition. It was an incredible experience.

Rythok #367121 24/07/09 01:04 PM
veteran
veteran
So its normaly a bad idea to hook-up a fixed location to the same music over and over.

There is ONE exception to this rule stupid
In DD, you cant imagine the Dwarven-Bread Inn without that happy background music.

Your existence alone, is excuse enough for the creation of the entire universe… Il you my darling Jeanne-Dré 
Support
Support

The two tavern pieces in DD were the only music in it I didn't care for.

In one of the towns in an old game (Ultima maybe?) I recall you could talk to a flute player and the town's background music would change. Whenever I visited that town I would go talk to that NPC first.

Raze #368011 25/07/09 02:30 PM
veteran
veteran
my favourite is still that haunting music when u stroll in the forest of Rivellon. smile

@ Raze & Lady Rain -> HEY U!!! opa wave

......a gift from LaFille......
janggut #368046 25/07/09 03:20 PM
Support
Support

um... hey, whoever you are....

silly

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard