Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
So, I spent some 20 hours or maybe more with the game, and actually wanted to play more before I write down some impressions, but alas, I got stuck with a bug so I'll write it now. But before I start with a bit negativity, I first want to make clear that Divinity 2 is a really very enjoyable experience, despite the many glitches. You really feel that the developers put a ton of love and detail into the game, especially quests, writing and world design shine through this rough gem.

Yeah, so, after the intro, you start with the character creation. Choose gender, face style/tatoo...and that's it. Well, that was quick. You get to learn the basics very quickly. Choose between mage, warrior or ranger and test it on some goblins, mind you though once you leave the tutorial area you can freely develop your character. There are no classes in Divinity 2, instead you use skills appropriate for your taste (priest, warrior, mage, ranger, dragonslayer - you can of course also mix, but beware, specialization may be necessary), after each level-up you can choose only one, plus you put stats into Health, Willpower, Strength, Agility and Intelligence.
What is odd is that you become a dragonslayer within the first 5 minutes of the game and get the mind-reading feature "for free". Normally, you'd have to earn this, but hey... After you leave the tutorial area, the actual game starts. A dragon has been sighted in the peacefully village of Rubbledale (?). Your collueges are off to search the dragon, while you start investigating the village dwellers.
So you get to talk to people and start accepting quests. Mostly quite fedex stuff (i.e. get me goblin hearts and I'll pay for you; go find the tower and talk to blabla). Sometimes, you get a choice how to solve the quest. I.e. turn the tide around for a discount, or read the secret love letter of the farmer woman to unleash some drama, etc. You also get to save a guard from a bunch of gobblins. Very funny. You can also free a prisoner and tell him the captain setup a trap, or not, and you'll be compensated with either items, money or XP. Mind reading (it's a feature you get during conversation) substracts XP, but it's also good for a laugh sometimes. Yes, the humor god thanks doesn't come too short. Kill a bunch of cute rabbits, and as a penalty, you'll have to deal with a monster rabbit later. Writing is also very good, definitely better than the horrid Witcher or Gothic series. Even if farmers are better written than some Bioware villain, well then that conceals something positive I guess.
So, when you get started to fight stuff, first weaknesses occur. The combat is very action-orientaded, plays kinda like God of War, but with more glitches...Balancing is also horrible in the first 7 levels or so. Or how often was my ass handed over to me by 2 small goblins! Crawl down into the cryptic, and you get greeted by three skeletons. Well, you think, no problemo, but as soon as you want starting slashing, you're already dead. Of course do some more quests, get higher levels, and the situation inverts. Kill a Goblin with two slashes can become boring....but as soon as you get used to beat the crap out of them, some new monster emerges and kills you in no time.
You can also summon creatures (priest skill), they work kinda similar to the golems from Diablo2. They're a nice disctraction for enemies, but weak if not leveld-up. You'll also meet a shy necromancer who can create a creature out of body parts that you can find in crates etc. Along the areas, you also find waypoints that teleport you from shrine to shrine. Very handy.
Some of the technical stuff: Audio is great, no complaints there, but graphics are a bit glitchy. The performance is mostly very good, but sometimes I get some major fps drops, then it vanishes after 30 secs. for no reason. Technically, it's not very cutting-edge anymore, but it shines through lovely and imaginatively created architecture and environments. I haven't experienced any crashes, but overall it still feels very rough. Sometimes my summon spells don't initiate, then there are some goofy physics quarrels that almost stopped me completing a quest, the fps slowdowns, some invisible walls for a short period, and of course the horrid balancing in the beginning. I heard though Larian is working to get that fixed at least. I also recommend to turn off "Render plants" to save some 50% performance, you won't miss it. Everything else can be maxed out.
So yeah, that's a short summary of Divinity 2. As I said, it's a marvelous game full of lovely details, very good writing and overall motivating story (so far). It's by no way a disaster like Gothic 3, but it still could use a patch or two to get rid off these small annoyances. Overall I can recommend this game. It beats the crap out of Gothic 3 and Oblivion easily. Well done, Larian!

Edit: typos

Last edited by Pinstripe; 26/07/09 07:17 PM.
Thanks, not a bad little write-up, definitely constructive and objective. Kinda busy and hard to read though. Can't wait to play the game.

Need to edit title with SPOILER ALERT though.

Last edited by SheaOhmsford; 26/07/09 07:05 PM.

Is reality just a fantasy?
journeyman
journeyman
Thanks for sharing your impressions!! I'm FINALLY getting a clear idea of what I am to except from this game!! laugh

"I draghi sono draghi proprio perché gli uomini non possono nulla contro di loro."
journeyman
journeyman
thx for the read.

I like the fact they didn't use monster scaling. It reminds me of Gothic 2 NOTR where death was lingering at every corner and you had to be extra careful before engaging anything.

Gow like combat? think guess you meant gothic like.

Decent review, but I'm missing some info about the open world and the differences between human and dragon form.

P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Originally Posted by v1ctor
thx for the read.

I like the fact they didn't use monster scaling. It reminds me of Gothic 2 NOTR where death was lingering at every corner and you had to be extra careful before engaging anything.

Gow like combat? think guess you meant gothic like.

Decent review, but I'm missing some info about the open world and the differences between human and dragon form.

Yes, GoW like. It's important that you only engage enemies that have a similar level that you have, max 2 above you. If they're 3-4 lvls above you, you're toast. The eraly parts have been very tough for me, because I cleared an area, did all quests, and wanted to move on, but had to deal with too difficult enemies. Now I'm lvl 24 and get hardly any challenge anymore.

You assume the dragon form sometime later in the game. There are dragon zones which you have to avoid (otherwise death), but you can change anytime to human form to pass them. In fact, you often have to play a bit with both forms to do your quests. You can't charge creatures on the surface while a dragon, because they get invisible. However, you have to fight ballistics and whyvverns and worms and whatnot. The areas have been carefully planned and designed to support both dragon and human gameplay, you can't take any advantage for either for the sake of being unfair.

Last edited by Pinstripe; 26/07/09 08:13 PM.
old hand
old hand
Thanks nice little set of impressions depsite its problems.
You could try add some more paragraphs.
This game sounds great!

Combat like God Of War WTF from what I've seen its nothing like it.
God of war is intense gorey head ripping combat.
Maybe Diablo-ish?

P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Well, combat is very action-orientated. A bit like Diablo, but in third-person.

Last edited by Pinstripe; 26/07/09 08:13 PM.
veteran
veteran
Thanks for that, Pinstripe smile Very informative smile

Please click the banner...
old hand
old hand
Well Larian's games are never cutting edge, but still very well done. I gladly sacrifice that for the novel that I'll get to play threw. This novel will get a few different play threw it appears.

The combat I'm worried about. From the youtube videos, it seems as if goblins shooting arrows never miss, there is no way to dodge them. Is it like this all the way threw, or just until you raise agility a bit? Can a shield block arrows and sword swings?

As for bugs, I'm sure they'd like to get this as perfected as possible.

And thanks for the info.

EDIT:

Holy crap! It is on youtube with the killer rabbit lol!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOAXSxEPNVI

Last edited by LightningLockey; 27/07/09 01:00 AM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
Sadly, you can't. Arrows and magic are homing in, no matter what... Except as dragon. When you're flying around you can dodge the arrows from those gigantic crossbowlike thingies (forgot the name). Fireballs are still homing (your's and your enemies').

old hand
old hand
Have you tried rolling leftright or jumping backwards ? A lot of people manage to dodge quite a lot using that trick.

P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Dodging only works very seldomly with me. Enemies always attack you in mixed groups. Ranger and mages attack you from a save distance, while warriors engage you in melee. There's almost no way you can evade the stupid arrows and fire balls. If you try to attack the rangers/mages, they seek for distance or get new help from nearby groups. It's really very nasty, and you die a lot in the early parts of the game.

Last edited by Pinstripe; 27/07/09 09:42 AM.
pro tip nr1: hug a tree

P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Originally Posted by Virc

I know. That's how I survived. smile

War is hell smile

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Pinstripe
So, I spent some 20 hours or maybe more with the game, and actually wanted to play more before I write down some impressions, but alas, I got stuck with a bug so I'll write it now.

Could you please elaborate on the "I have a bug" part? You may PM me if you want. Thanks smile

Edit: oh never mind, I found your description in the German forum. It's the "sometimes happens" zeppelin thing...

Last edited by ForkTong; 27/07/09 11:36 AM.

Tweeting @forktong
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Virc

Any pro tip number 2? Learn to run like Usain Bolt? biggrin

pro tip nr2: hire a larian qa guy for lots and lots of money to make you some save games all through the game

or "buff potions are your friend"

Last edited by Virc; 27/07/09 11:50 AM.
old hand
old hand
Well, it is interesting how the artificial intelligence of the monsters has evolved since the first divinity.

So what would you suggest to play as? A mage, ranger or warrior type person?

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
old hand
old hand
Divinity 2 uses a classes based system.
You can be anything or everything you want to be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard