Next Thread
Print Thread
#372223 01/08/09 01:12 PM
M
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
M
Hay just wondering if in a future patch you can add multi threading to the game,my quad core isnt getting a full workout,and things like the physix could really do with the extra core's running laugh.Seems the game is very graphics card heavey atm just a thought thnx.

madpaddy #372805 02/08/09 11:18 AM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Translation: "I just want to boast to everyone with the fact that I have a quad-core, so I'm writing something not really interesting into the forum."

As far as I know, there already IS some multi-threading in it.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
M
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
M
Not sure what your problem is,and your TRANSLATION is total rubbish,empty vessals make the most noise.Second this is a genuine question plenty of games have had patches to add multi threading and it doesnt use more cores that i have seen,if i wanted to boast about my pc i would have put the whole system spec on there,maybe you just have a inferiority complex.

madpaddy #373161 02/08/09 09:42 PM
veteran
veteran
Oh, don´t worry, madpaddy.

Just ignore weary ol´ Al. [Linked Image]
He´s only been traumatized the recent years by the way he sees all dev resources dedicated once to gameplay, story and all washed away now in favour of all out graphics and eye candy - a fear harassing him at every corner. smirk

While there´s certainly a valid point in it, he´s strictly exaggerating and lashing out pointlessly whenever he can. suspicion

Me, sharing a certain soft spot for the tech aspect of games, i can relate to you and of course you asked a legitimate question that shouldn´t be faced with unmotivated resentment. [Linked Image]

As for your question, Al was right w/ at least s.th.:
- Div2 not only has multi-threading in it already but even makes it an inevitable requirement in terms of demanding multi-core CPUs (which might not be exactly the same, but close).
If you look for the sysspecs given about the game, you´ll find Dual Core listed at minimum.

But it is really an interesting question to know how the game really scales over the various classes of multi-core available these days (dual -> triple -> quad core).

I frankly do not know and i haven´t seen a word from the Larians on that particular topic unfortunately - yet! rolleyes

Cheers,
Ragon

Last edited by Ragon_der_Magier; 02/08/09 09:45 PM.
A
veteran
veteran
A
Yes, I've become kind of an grumpy old gamer wink Maybe I should join Ron Gilbert with that ? laugh

--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
M
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
M
Many thanks for your polite reply,and as you say the box states dual core but im not sure if this is just ment as a measure of the power of the cpu needed as when im playing the game there is only one core showing as in use,this may well be an error in windows 7 as im sure its not officially supported,that was why the post was directed towards larian in the hope of a reply from them,but thanks for your time anyway smile.

madpaddy #373182 02/08/09 10:02 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Other cores might be virtual cores, Intel sometimes does this.

But I can't say without knowing what kind of Processor you actually have.

--Dilbert cartoon

M
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
M
Its an intel q6600 go stepping,i do have other games like the new GTA that shows all cores in operation when playing.

I just tried a windows gadget that shows mem and core usage and it shows all cores in use ,so i guess it is a windows 7 error that it thinks its only using one core,so that would solve my question and make this post obsolete.

Last edited by madpaddy; 02/08/09 10:35 PM.
madpaddy #373218 02/08/09 10:50 PM
veteran
veteran
Hi madpaddy,

you´re just welcome. wave

I got this from Lar, but i´m certainly not spoiling any company secrets when i post this here:

Originally Posted by Lar_q
div2 streams a lot, really a lot, and it tries to do a lot of it in the backgroud (i.e. another thread). Single core performance is therefore below par which is why we put dual core on the box...

The reason i had asked was quite a heated discussion in the German forums early after release concerning whether a users presumably AMD single core was matching the game requirements, as it showed lags in abovementioned streaming performance.

Add. controversy was spawned by reports from some "single corers" running the game successfully.

In the end we settled around this one:

- Divinity 2 really being one of the still rare games not only supporting multi-core as a suppemental but in fact being dependent on it
- the mentioned AMD single core was insufficient, hence the experienced streaming issues
- other reports stemmed from users with Pentium 4s. Those compensated due to bringing along "Hyper-Threading", a kind of "emulated multi-core functionality". Still they had to be decently clocked (>> 3GHz)

Sounds plausible to me.

Kind Regards,
Ragon

Last edited by Ragon_der_Magier; 02/08/09 10:51 PM.
M
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
M
Good stuff m8 cheers.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard