Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Can we please have a Help, Tips, Tricks, and SPOILERS section added to the English forums? thankyou

Last edited by SheaOhmsford; 03/08/09 12:29 AM.

Is reality just a fantasy?
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
And how is Shady Vale and Allanon smile.

old hand
old hand
Yeah we should have one.
Our forums being invaded by spoilers and people asking for help.
Who have got the game instead of waiting for the International release.
Personally I'd rather wait until September and support the game and play how its mean't to be played.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Okay folks!

dtp's Content & Community Manager
old hand
old hand
Thanks,
Betty!

old hand
old hand
Personally, I see no reason for an English subforum: the game hasn't been released yet in English. If you are playing Divinity 2, you are playing in German and you should be able to get all your info from the German forums.

If you are playing in English, you are playing an unreleased and thus unsupported version of the game.

Again, this is my personal view on this matter.

Tweeting @forktong
old hand
old hand
You make some very valid points there Forktong!
It makes me rethink what I put in my post about agreeing on the idea for a seperate forum.
Although theres a lot of posts regarding certain parts of the game which, most of us really don't want to read or see yet.
So we need somewhere so we don't get cluttered with threads.

Like you said there playing a unreleased and unsupported version of the game.
They should have to wait like all of us.

Hopefully we'll find a solution thats best for everybody.

addict
addict
Forktong, theoretically you are right, but unless you want to kill all the threads of those posting information using an 'unsupported' version of the game I think you should provide a place for them to do so. We now have all these threads with a lot of spoiler information in them and not everybody is willing to be spoiled like that.

See me @ The Locus Inn & RPGWatch
old hand
old hand
Somewhere else on the internet? If we officially open an English help forum, it'll be as if we condone the language hack. Or that we encourage it. Or don't mind they're doing it. Officially, we have only released a German version. To me, the English version doesn't exist.

I'll try to keep an eye on the forums and see to it that not too much spoilers seep into the normal way of things.

I know that a lot of fans and hardcore RPG gamers are probably actually buying the German version and doing the little language hack. But, even though we are flattered, we cannot start supporting that or encouraging it.

Tweeting @forktong
journeyman
journeyman
A suggestion: stick a note in said Spoiler forum that you don't support or condone a language hack and that the forum is there specifically to keep spoiler questions out of the general forum population. You don't actually have to allow the threads to remain open if you don't want to, either. Once an English version is released, you aren't going to be able to tell the difference between them anyway. It'll make it somewhat easier to keep track of the messages (and those that are posting them).

In other words, there'd be no difference between having the messages posted here or in another forum with the above note except that you save folks like us who are patiently waiting for the game from being inundated with spoiler info.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Originally Posted by ForkTong
Somewhere else on the internet? If we officially open an English help forum, it'll be as if we condone the language hack. Or that we encourage it. Or don't mind they're doing it. Officially, we have only released a German version. To me, the English version doesn't exist.

I'll try to keep an eye on the forums and see to it that not too much spoilers seep into the normal way of things.

I know that a lot of fans and hardcore RPG gamers are probably actually buying the German version and doing the little language hack. But, even though we are flattered, we cannot start supporting that or encouraging it.

The world of big corporations and money never ceases to amaze me,i understand that officially this game isnt out in english ok np,but how can buying the german game and turning on some files that are already there be a terrible crime,infact your attitude to this just makes me wish i wasnt such a big fan of your games and not spent my money.

Its in no way harming your sales but could well increase them as i and others very probably would have bought the uk CE of this game to get eng manual etc,but if your going to make your customers feel like criminals i may now pass.The world is obsessed with big companies making loads of money and common sense doesn't get a lookin these days.Myself and others bought the german version of drakensang and turned it english we had no problem aon that forum and legend hand of god all german releases of which i have both english and german copies of,meaning i paid twice i am a hardcore rpg'r yes and maybe not everyone is,but i would think i should be welcomed and praised not made to feel like a leper or criminal.

Ps Seems to be some confusion in the larian staff as some of your colleagues are chatting and helping people with game problems in the english forum,surely if you dont support the english version you shouldnt be giving ANY help in this forum ???.

Last edited by madpaddy; 03/08/09 12:19 PM.
old hand
old hand
Talk about an interesting situation wink

On the one hand we have the problem Myrthos points out: the threads risk getting very cluttered.

On the other we have the problem Forktong points out: the non-german versions are not supported, and for very good reasons! we're still working on them and there are known problems with mixing non-german text with german text, potentially ruining the entire game.

The best thing we can think of is to open up a help/tips/tricks thread in English/French and move them from here to there. This will allow members of the german audience to post questions directly to us. There are issues with the language hacked versions, and we'll probably see those pop up too, but we won't give any support for those, so hack at your own risk wink

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by madpaddy
Lar_q i salute you at last someone has used some common sense,i don't think anyone will disagree with your judgment many thanks for your help you've made your fans very happy laugh

old hand
old hand
I'm glad thats sorted.
This will most likely my last time visiting this section for fear of spoilers.

old hand
old hand
The world of big corporations and money never ceases to amaze me

I am not a big corporation. I was not speaking in name of Larian or DTP. As I stated, I was speaking as a person. (My original post on the matter iirc starts with "personally".)

Personally, to me, it doesn't make sense to look into problems and questions that may have been caused by changing reg values and unpacking and repacking files. Changing the language might cause problems that give the game a "bad name" as it may cause bugs that were originally not there.

You can play the "English version", that's your thing, but I won't tell people how to do it.

infact your attitude to this just makes me wish i wasnt such a big fan of your games and not spent my money

It is not Larian's attitude if that makes you feel better. It is my personal attitude that you don't like.

Its in no way harming your sales

No, but it might harm future sales of English publishers smile

Seems to be some confusion in the larian staff as some of your colleagues are chatting and helping people with game problems in the english forum,surely if you dont support the english version you shouldnt be giving ANY help in this forum ???

I am sure no one will help people changing the German version to English or help people with unpacking and repacking dv2 files.

As I said, it is flattering that people are going through a lot of trouble to get this thing working in English, but I am afraid that they may run into problems they would normally not have. I am not trying to treat you as a villain, I wanted to make clear this is not what the language option was meant for.

Tweeting @forktong
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
The world of big corporations and money never ceases to amaze me

I am not a big corporation. I was not speaking in name of Larian or DTP. As I stated, I was speaking as a person. (My original post on the matter iirc starts with "personally".)

Personally, to me, it doesn't make sense to look into problems and questions that may have been caused by changing reg values and unpacking and repacking files. Changing the language might cause problems that give the game a "bad name" as it may cause bugs that were originally not there.

You can play the "English version", that's your thing, but I won't tell people how to do it.

infact your attitude to this just makes me wish i wasnt such a big fan of your games and not spent my money

It is not Larian's attitude if that makes you feel better. It is my personal attitude that you don't like.

Its in no way harming your sales

No, but it might harm future sales of English publishers smile

Seems to be some confusion in the larian staff as some of your colleagues are chatting and helping people with game problems in the english forum,surely if you dont support the english version you shouldnt be giving ANY help in this forum ???

I am sure no one will help people changing the German version to English or help people with unpacking and repacking dv2 files.

As I said, it is flattering that people are going through a lot of trouble to get this thing working in English, but I am afraid that they may run into problems they would normally not have. I am not trying to treat you as a villain, I wanted to make clear this is not what the language option was meant for.

No hard feelings i was just annoyed because i felt that some of the comments where aimed at me for trying to play the game in English as if i was a criminal,i really am just a crazy RPG fan who spends way to much money on games (ask my wife) lol,and am the last person to do anything to small devs who make my favorite games,my crime as charged is impatience laugh.

old hand
old hand
Oh, they were by no means aimed at you or anyone in particular. I fully understand you want to try it, and if you succeed, that you're loving it. And I also see now how you felt about my posts. But please understand that if we are releasing this in English in September that we wouldn't want our other publishers to say "never mind, everyone's played it already". So nothing personal, just a pessimistic thought of mine on a broader scale of things... smile

Tweeting @forktong
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Oh, they were by no means aimed at you or anyone in particular. I fully understand you want to try it, and if you succeed, that you're loving it. And I also see now how you felt about my posts. But please understand that if we are releasing this in English in September that we wouldn't want our other publishers to say "never mind, everyone's played it already". So nothing personal, just a pessimistic thought of mine on a broader scale of things... smile

I understand and must admit i hadnt thought of this ("never mind, everyone's played it already". ) small ripples can turn into big waves i guess frown.

old hand
old hand
Then again, only hardcore fans would go through the pain of playing a "subtitled" German game with German voicefiles. And like you said, most hardcore fans will buy the game twice just to have English too. So let's hope it's a very small pond we're throwing a rock into here smile

Tweeting @forktong
old hand
old hand
Fork, were you here for the demo of Divinity 1? Where you were able to go past the Zandelore cutscean of him killing the dragon rider. People were getting pretty far in a game where they couldn't see monsters and graphics. Most houses and npc's were intact or can make out where barriers would be.

Yeh, Larian has attracted some sickly hardcore fans.

Of course, I'm looking into this English hack. StarWars had aliens speaking in different languages and subtitled in English, same with Star Trek at times. I'm sick of waiting...and I even know how the game ends lol! I've seen it on youtube.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 06/08/09 04:29 AM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard