Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Cylon Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Hello everyone,

I can't find any information on this subject, so maybe here someone might have some info.

Will enemies respawn in Divinity 2? I LOVE DD but the fact that enemies weren't respawning was a letdown for me.

Now, I am far from a person who wants to sit in one place and kill mobs for experiance.

What I always wanted to see in a similar game is something like this. You have certain areas where enemies sit and when you kill them for the first time, you get your normal exp. When you return later in the same place and kill them, you get NO experiance whatsoever.

Why something like that? I said that I don't like to grind my characters but I also hate empty worlds. It would be cool being able to return to previous areas and see some life there, so that the world after some serious gaming won't feel dull and empty.

What do you think about this sujbect? Would you like respawning enemies or no, as it was in Divine Divinity?

And I'm sorry for my English, it is my second language so I'm sure that I made some serious mistakes.

Cheers.

apprentice
apprentice
You don't mention drops (from respawned enemies). Still if I go to the bother of killing something, there should be some sort of return for my efforts. Depending on the route to various destinations, you might not be able to avoid revisiting a location.

(DD did have a resurrect spell, but thats abit tedious compared to respawning happening on its own).

I would prefer respawning, but not for zero exp. If enemies don't scale in power, the rewards could still be adjusted for level difference.

Also does life have to be hostile? Rabbits, deer & travelling demi-humans, & wandering traders could add variety as well.

Last edited by swalnak; 17/06/09 10:21 PM.
C
Cylon Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Yeah, I forgot to mention the drops. Of course there should be random drops.

And this no-exp maybe is a little bit too rough. Maybe half the experience or some small amount but not the full experience, just my guess.

And life of course can be friendly as you said.

I was just wondering if people would like to have some sort of respawn in the game or not. The world in Ego Draconis is supposed to be big, so I just wouldn’t like it to be empty after some time, that's all. smile

Cheers.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by Cylon
What I always wanted to see in a similar game is something like this. You have certain areas where enemies sit and when you kill them for the first time, you get your normal exp. When you return later in the same place and kill them, you get NO experiance whatsoever.

Why something like that? I said that I don't like to grind my characters but I also hate empty worlds. It would be cool being able to return to previous areas and see some life there, so that the world after some serious gaming won't feel dull and empty.

I understand your point of view, and I have seen a similar thing in Sacred 1.

However, I don't want it. If enemies are dead, then I would like to see them dead.

On the other hand I don't like empty worlds as well - and I think there should be neutral NPCs for that.

So all in all I do hope there will not be any kind of respawn.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
veteran
veteran
I'm with Alrik on this one.

Please click the banner...
apprentice
apprentice
Why do some posters want finite enemies? Are you worried that the developers would include fights or other situations aimed at high level characters?

Support
Support

If you have already cleared an area, any running back and forth that you have to do (for merchants, or checking with NPCs about quests, etc) is a PITA if you have to keep re-killing the same opponents. Also, fighting the same opponents over and over gets boring (as does leveling for the sake of leveling, or for some superficial achievement).

From the Divinity 2 site's FAQ;
What are Flying Fortresses?
Flying Fortresses are the massive siege tools used by the Black Ring armies commanded by Damian. They consist of floating islands on which ballistae and lightning towers have been built, and where nest towers bring forth endless hordes of undead drakes and vicious Demons. Hovering monstrosities, it takes but one of these Fortresses to annihilate and entire city.

I would assume these 'nest towers' respawn opponents until they are destroyed, so there is some respawning in the game.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by swalnak
Why do some posters want finite enemies? Are you worried that the developers would include fights or other situations aimed at high level characters?

No. I believe thar role -playing - playing a role, which is in fact acting like in a theatre - does not need or even involve lots of fighting.

To you, role-playing seems to consist merely of fighting; to me, however, it is not.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
addict
addict
I don't mind respawn so much, if it makes sense. The Witcher made it work, at least. If I've cleared an area as part of a quest, then it should stay cleared. But in a forest or some such area it makes sense that some animals or creatures might still be around in the coming days. Sacred 1 made a horrible mess of respawn, because as soon as you traveled one screen over all the enemies had respawned, within seconds. This combined with scaled leveling made killing a huge pointless chore after a while.

apprentice
apprentice
The effect on travel is more significant without invisibility or other stealth effects, in which case killing may be the only way to get past. Dragon form may help if there are areas with enough space, but enemies lack aerial targeting attacks.

Also did Beyond Divinity have respawn on routes, or just battlefields?

What do people think about the consequences for mind reading. As in being able to replenish spent exp.
Probably depends on whether developers intend it as a staple or an emergency power.

Support
Support

In BD the enemies in the battlefields did not respawn (or in the main game), but for the after-game battlefields the fields themselves 'respawn' (from the temple you could enter rifts to randomly generate new battlefields).

The game is presumably balanced taken account of mindreading, so the benefit of what you can learn makes up for the slower leveling. As you say, we don't know if it is intended to be used judiciously (mostly on NPCs involved in quests) or fairly generally (like farmers in DD occasionally having high level items for trade, minor characters in D2ED could know of treasure they are too weak to retrieve, or servants could have overheard their employer's conversations, etc).
Respawning opponents would be nice to replace any experience 'wasted' on useless mindreading attempts, even if that isn't really necessary (in BD I skipped the opponents and quests in the BF, in part because shortly after the game was released some people complained that you had to level up in the BF to be able to survive in the main game).

journeyman
journeyman
Please let "respawning of enemies" to Diablo-clones and similar mindless action clickfests. It would be really BAD idea. If you go back to some explorer area, you go there with some clear purpose, some quest. To encounter again the same enemies on every step, it is utterly boring and annoying, especially because it slows you on your quest. I agree that in some areas it may have sense to respawn few enemies (not all!) - like in underground nests or forests where animals and creatures live. But generally speaking respawning is bad idea for RPG.

As Alrik said - RPG is NOT only combat. And RPG world is NOT mere killing ground - why would people live in world populated with such unending hordes of vicious beasts? horsey

I belive the respawn is specific for online mmorpg something like Mu Online, if the creatures are dead then they should be dead for good. Altough the ideea with the neutral mobs is very interesting.

The Shocker is here!
veteran
veteran

No. I'm worried that I'll get bored to death by endless, pointless fighting.

If I'm wandering back through an area to see if there's anything I overlooked, I don't want to be delayed by endless pointless encounters - and the more so if I'm now vastly higher level than the area requires and I'm having to pause every minute or so to kill some useless squib that would have challenged me ten levels ago but now is worth no EXP, carries nothing I would want and is nothing but a time sink.

As Alrik has said, an RPG is a Role Playing Game - not a combat game.

If i want a combat game, I'll either fire up Diablo 2 or wait on Diablo 3, which looks awesome.

Please click the banner...
veteran
veteran
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. had an alright spawning method. Basically, if there's a void, it will be filled. As areas were cleared, new NPCs were respawned outside of the accessible map. They walked in to fill the void areas. The longer you left an area unattended, the more dangerous it would become as more NPCs moved in. Some NPCss would set up camp and stay put. Others would walk around the map and help clear areas they passed through.

apprentice
apprentice
Since the German version is out, how does respawn work.

veteran
veteran
There is no respawn in div2.

Sly Offline
stranger
stranger
I wouldnt mind respawns in a game like this.. Maybe you kill some Orcs in an area once and then after some time passes ( X in game days ) maybe something else comes along like Goblins or Trolls that decide to make that place home. Respawns dont have to be about mindless killing but more about making the world feel alive instead of killing off a group of critters and that ends up making them extinct in that region.

stranger
stranger
i have better idea: if u kill enemies once, they'll respawn but they will have respect. i mean they will run away from you and its your choice to kill them twice or not

Last edited by s.t.a.l.k.e.r; 06/08/09 06:52 PM.
S
S
Originally Posted by Elliot_Kane

No. I'm worried that I'll get bored to death by endless, pointless fighting.

If I'm wandering back through an area to see if there's anything I overlooked, I don't want to be delayed by endless pointless encounters - and the more so if I'm now vastly higher level than the area requires and I'm having to pause every minute or so to kill some useless squib that would have challenged me ten levels ago but now is worth no EXP, carries nothing I would want and is nothing but a time sink.

As Alrik has said, an RPG is a Role Playing Game - not a combat game.

If i want a combat game, I'll either fire up Diablo 2 or wait on Diablo 3, which looks awesome.

Who says you have to kill everything? Sure, maybe if they can freeze or stun you or something then it's annoying, otherwise wouldn't it be pretty easy to run past them considering you are a higher level assuming you have better armour, higher HP or dodge?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard