Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#376076 08/08/09 08:58 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I talked with someone today that works at a local video game store, they obtained a copy and used the English hack on it (they import big game releases often at this place). Here is what he told me, all I asked about was combat.

He says it feels like how the original Divinity felt. When it comes to combat, it is like a totally different game that isn't fun.

The main problem he has is one hand is on the mouse to point the direction your character will run, and with two mouse buttons one can attack (melee) and interact with npc's / loot. Or can swap that with a hot key slot to cast a spell.

His other hand is on the arrow keys, he uses numberpad 0 to jump, and the rest of the numberpad keys to use pots and stuff. Even while doing that he ends up accidentally hitting the wrong key or not quick enough and dies. Expect more saving and loading than in Divinity were his final words on the matter because of hitting wrong keys from shifting your hands.

It sounds to me, all that needs to be fixed is to keep the camera always behind you like in Zelda games. Though you have to hold the Right key on the controller to strife, guess something similar can be done on the PC version.

Well the good thing is at least this store thinks the game should be a big hit, at least for the X-box.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
H
stranger
stranger
H
He should be using wasd, you might be talking to a moron.

I like the combat, it is easy to die if you aren't careful, it's not an easy game. Sometimes things are difficult to hit but some of that might be because the animation bug that the patch is fixing soon

A
veteran
veteran
A
I also used the arrow keys, and I have no problems. So far.

The only problem *I* have is that I'd need to quickly move my left hand to the "2" key, which located above the "Q" and the "W".

Since I *never* use wasd or the numeric key block, I therefore have my problems, because my left hand is much slower than the right hand.

I'm playing a Ranger, by the way.

So, this aiming thing makes things much more difficult for me, as a ranger. Users of direct combat will have less problems like that, of course.

Of course I could remap my keys, but so far I don't want to, because I'm unsure yet which ones I'd use.

Last edited by AlrikFassbauer; 08/08/09 10:11 PM.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I've never played a game that used the wasd keys. I'm basically used to either one hand on the mouse and my hot keys (potions/skills) or both hands on the keyboard and rarely using the mouse, only if I want to look around or change a camera view. Then again I'm used to playing mmorpg's, not regular games. From his description, it sounds like combat is going to drive me away from this game. frown

Does this game support any gaming controllers? Maybe it be best if I used that since he said the mouse pointer only appears in menus.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 08/08/09 10:39 PM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
Support
Support

Yes, gamepads are supported. I will most likely use a gamepad, as well, though it sounds like the person you talked to may have been making things harder than they needed to be.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Well glad to hear controllers are supported. Now just gotta get one so I can enjoy the game.

As for the person, it seems that a lot will use the same logic on control setup. The reviews on the combat mechanics have been pretty negative. It is as if the rest of the game characteristics carry the weight of the lack of good combat controls. It keeps the game scoring a B average instead of the A that I expected.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 09/08/09 02:08 AM.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Well, maybe that was a compromise towards the gamepad which is REQUIRED for games to have the "Games for windows" logo ?

Edit: Just checked: The game does NOT bear this logo ...

--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
addict
addict
Using WASD isn't that uncommon in games. And there are MMOs that use WASD for navigation too.
I don't think the combat is as bad as you make it out to be (without you personally having played it). Yes ranged combat should be fixed, but melee combat is just fine. That is also what most reviews state; ranged combat is not that good, but melee combat is ok.

Last edited by Myrthos; 09/08/09 03:40 PM.

See me @ The Locus Inn & RPGWatch
A
veteran
veteran
A
Well, maybe there weren't enough testers playing with ranged combat ?

--Dilbert cartoon

No problems here, I am getting the 360 version. As far as bad combat overall goes, I think I will be fine. I just started playing Morrowind again for the first time in about 4 years and boy, there is some bad combat, lol. Really showing it's age, that one is.

You know what, though? I still love the game and am enjoying it all over again just the same. As long as Divinity 2 is a solid RPG at it's core, that is all that matters to me. Based on what I have seen and read thus far, I think it definitely will be.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
you know, there's always space to pause game and do tactical targeting...I always use it to charm the proper target (usually a melee tanker) then cast spells from afar

A
veteran
veteran
A
Now I've remapped my keyboard for the first two slots. The first slot is now mapped to the right shift key, the one the enter key. The second slot is now mapped to the right Ctrl key, the one also beneath the enter key.

Now I'm wonderin where I should map the other slots to ... The most likely place will be the small key block above of the arrow keys.

This enables me to still play with my left hand on the arrow keys, with the right hand directing the mouse.

Originally Posted by susu
you know, there's always space to pause game and do tactical targeting...I always use it to charm the proper target (usually a melee tanker) then cast spells from afar

Haven't tried that yet. I'm still very early into the game, especially since I releaded it from the "Newbie Town" and now I'm in Broken Valley for the second time.

Last edited by AlrikFassbauer; 09/08/09 06:14 PM.

--Dilbert cartoon

stranger
stranger
I'm still dumbfounded by people that refuse to use WASD combination. The reason WASD is so popular, is BECAUSE it sets up the rest of your keyboard like a console controller. It is by far the most efficient way to use a keyboard for gaming. I've been playing PC games for 12 years, all the way back to early flight sims and playing FPS games with a joystick.

If you feel uncomfortable using WASD, TOO BAD, LEARN! It will make you a better player and you can avoid 90% of controller problems that people complain about. If you know how to type with 10 fingers, there is no reason not to use proper control methods when playing a game as well.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by Roland Baye
If you feel uncomfortable using WASD, TOO BAD, LEARN!

I refuse to do so.

Instead, I choose to adapt the game to my needs

Not vice versa !

--Dilbert cartoon

addict
addict
I would think that using the arrow keys only makes sense if you are left handed. For right handed players, the arrow keys are too far to the right of the keyboard. Are you left handed?

See me @ The Locus Inn & RPGWatch
Personally I have played several games with the WASD keys - and it does take a little while to get use to - but after that - you just play, (and especially if you are used to the 10-finger system. ) It is really not a problem - I am left handed and and it is not something that gets in my way of playing after a while - I often find that with lots of games I need a bit of adjustment in the beginning before the game flows. Just jump right into it and enjoy the game.

Last edited by The Endless; 09/08/09 11:01 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
While I prefer using the mouse for movement (point and click), the alternative of using the WASD keys with the mouse as a camera control is a second option, and I am comfortable using each. Fortunately, any game built for a PC can and should be able to remap controls as the user sees fit, allowing them to control the game in the way they like best. And since I use a natural ergonomic keyboard (which means its split and angled), the right side of the keyboard is practically useless for all intents and purposes in any game that requires quick keyboard controls if I'm using the mouse with my right hand.

For Div2, that's all moot, I take it. Remap is in.

R
stranger
stranger
R
Combat works pretty good for me as far as the camera operation and control. Got right hand on mouse and wasd on the left. I remapped 3 hotkey spells to be easier to cast: 1 spell on Q, 1 on F and the skill i use to bust barrels on the RMB.
Targeting is a bit of a problem if i want to be very selective with who i shoot because the game auto targets. Also it seems as though the enemy has longer range, so if i am in melee and whip out my bow to drop an enemy with magic or bow who is already engaged on me, i first have to run to them.
That is a situation where rush comes in handy, which is a skill where you close in fast on the enemy and knock it down. Only sometimes it seems rush misses the target and flies right by or if it hits my character gets stunned while the enemy is knocked down, but still is nice to close in for melee.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
That rush skill sounds like it will be very useful.

I'm stopping with the speculating and trying to get an English hacked version to play with until the real thing hits the US. I don't know if I can take a few more weeks of just wondering. I've been waiting for a good game to come out for too long.

apprentice
apprentice
i'm righthanded, and i play with ZQSD keys all the time ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard