Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DivineGamer #378787 17/08/09 10:39 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
it's not really a "change". There are loads of games with female protagonists. It's all about personal preference. I did enjoy Urban Chaos a long time ago (very good game) but there were more switchups and it wasn't a real fantasy setting.

swordscythe #378797 17/08/09 11:48 AM
A
veteran
veteran
A
I foresee that in incorporating more and more elements of the SIMs lies the future of role-playing gaming.

Not only because of the social interaction, which is almost completely missing in most mainstream RPGs, but also this will enable developers to incorporate women more and more as a target audience (speaking about getting the development costs back in), which would make the current target audience grow significantly.

I'm still surprised that so few RPG developers still develop RPGs so much that they'll meet only a rather male target audience (lots of combat, few to almost none social interaction).

Romances and NPC interaction like seen in BG is now about 10 years old - but developers still stick on the path (read: broad-sheeted main road) of fightings and ... well, things that appear to me sooo typical for male behaviour / role-playing.

Of course my opinion is subjective, but to me, things appear clear.

Besides, I'll be at the GamesCom; I bought my ticket for Thursday today. Which will be good, because it's the first day and it - hopefully - won't be as full as on the weekend.

Those who want to buy Vorverkauf-Tickets should hurry: The shop of the Saturn chain I was buying in was almost sold out except for the weekend.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
AlrikFassbauer #378804 17/08/09 12:10 PM
Hey Alrik, Thursday you say?
Trying to get around all the kiddies too? :hihi: grin

Ah and to the term "consolish": Well for me most recent RPGs are overly simplified due to the portation on consoles, which has only very limited controls.
This is of course not bad for console players, but for PC players it can sometimes be annoying.

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
Ech_Heftag #378951 17/08/09 07:20 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Yes, I did it with the RPC also. biggrin

--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
DivineGamer #379489 19/08/09 08:30 PM
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
so any news about english release date??? laugh

susu #379494 19/08/09 08:40 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
The GamesCom was just the first day of several ... I expect more news during the next days ... Perhaps even tomorrow ... (with *lots* of good luck !)

--Dilbert cartoon

susu #379565 20/08/09 07:09 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by susu
so any news about english release date??? laugh

Well I posted this yesterday in another thread.

I just found something via Facebook.
International Date Press Release Pratically Confirmed For GC...

Somebody asks
'When is this going to be released?
Webiste says Q2 2009.
What is the new date?'

Then who ever runs Divinity 2 Facebook Group most likely Larian.
Replys.
'More news will be revealed at GamesCon (Cologne) this week'

So defo be on the look out!!

DivineGamer #379857 21/08/09 02:44 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
My impressions are now here, as far as my memory was able to carry them: http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7905

--Dilbert cartoon

AlrikFassbauer #379861 21/08/09 02:55 PM
old hand
old hand
Thanks.
I will have a read later.

DivineGamer #379939 21/08/09 07:19 PM
Yes, was there too and it was pretty cool (well, okay, pretty hot if you take the temperatures into account wink )

The dtp booth was a bitch to find, really. Have searched for ages (at least it felt so)! But it was quite worth the time, Venetica has really impressed me. After the trailers I was unsure what to think of the game, but the playable version at the fair was just awesome.

Yeah, and Scarlett looks great (both the ingame- and fair-version grin ).

Drakensang II was a little bit disappointing. It's just as the first part, with all its strengths and weaknesses.

Apart from the dtp booth I've checked out Risen (the game from the developers of Gothic), has taken quite some time to get to the game (IIRC some 45min). Looks pretty solid, but not outstanding or overly innovative. I think more a game for the German fan community, not so much for newbies.

Dragon Age was also very hard to reach (wait times up to an hour) and I haven't managed to get there. Some friends of mine had more success. According to them DA is just like NWN with better graphics and more violence. So it's perhaps really the upcoming hardcore RPG title.

The Blizzard booth was completely full of fanboys. Wait times up to 2 hours (at the first and less crowded day of the fair!). But again according to friends, it wasn't really worth the time. Diablo seems to be very boring (just like D2 with better graphics). Another friend of mine has managed to playtest Starcraft 2, seems to be a pretty good game if you like such games (which I don't).

Apart from that the atmosphere was very good, and it was - except for the Blizzard booth - not too crowded.

Yeah and the funniest booth was that of TGC. They had no game with them (at least I haven't seen one), but a nice chillout lounge, nice house music and nice girls... what else do you want? grin

Last edited by Ech_Heftag; 21/08/09 07:21 PM.

Ech_Heftag #380122 22/08/09 04:34 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
ya just cold-shouldered D2 buddy... that's what we want to know about :p

swordscythe #380128 22/08/09 04:56 PM
Well, there was really not that much about D2 since it's already released in Germany wink

On the dtp booth you could play the XBOX version. Furthermore there were daily presentations, but in the outdoor area and because of the tropical temperatures I really had no interest in watching :hihi:

Maybe Alrik has watched it?

Ech_Heftag #380138 22/08/09 05:52 PM
L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Originally Posted by Ech_Heftag
XBOX version.

ouch I am sorry, but I just can't help it, I blame consoles for the new trend of "flashy graphics, shallow game play, no story, lack of content" of the mainstream games. oops

Whatever happened to the days of 100+ of solid game play and story from games like BG2 suspicion

This is NOT directed at Div 2 btw. I have too much respect for Larian and Div 2 is a very solid game. But I can't help but think that the devs felt "obligated" to purchase overly expensive graphic engines/tools, just so that their game could "keep up." Not to mention the purchasing of increasingly draconian and expensive DRM methods that does nothing by piss off the real customers... disagree

/rant

Last edited by lethial; 22/08/09 05:55 PM.
Ech_Heftag #380140 22/08/09 06:17 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by Ech_Heftag
Well, there was really not that much about D2 since it's already released in Germany wink

On the dtp booth you could play the XBOX version. Furthermore there were daily presentations, but in the outdoor area and because of the tropical temperatures I really had no interest in watching :hihi:

Maybe Alrik has watched it?

No, I concentrated on Drakensang 2 and on Venetica.

Later I was gathering informations about the new King's Bounty Add-On and on Majesty 2, a bit. Plus Tropico 3. These are the games I look most forward to, personally.

Originally Posted by lethial
Whatever happened to the days of 100+ of solid game play and story from games like BG2 suspicion

Maybe in Dragon Age ? Although it might be very dark, according to the image that is floating around it now.

Last edited by AlrikFassbauer; 22/08/09 06:19 PM.

--Dilbert cartoon

AlrikFassbauer #380164 22/08/09 07:47 PM
Yeah Majesty 2 from Paradox might be interesting... haven't seen anything from that game except a trailer at the Deep Silver booth :-/

Sadly Paradox had no public booth. Otherwise I would have played Hearts of Iron III for ages at their booth xD
The demo is already amazing. It's the most complex and gigantic game of all times, I think. It's just incredible, you have really NO idea where to start or what to do.

I think I will need at least 2 more months to understand the basic mechanics of the game. Absolutely incredible. Hardcore as hell, but I like it grin

---

To DA: As I said it seems basically to be NWN with updated graphics, more content and more gore. There's also influence from Fallout/Arcanum since you get your personal dog companion (you can even give him a custom name). Playing time should be around 80-90h, according to Bioware community managers at the fair.

Ech_Heftag #380259 23/08/09 10:38 AM
A
veteran
veteran
A
I did a few updates in my impressions thread linked above.

--Dilbert cartoon

AlrikFassbauer #380263 23/08/09 10:51 AM
old hand
old hand
Ok right.
I'll check it out.
Last day of GamesCom...

DivineGamer #380336 23/08/09 06:05 PM
GC has got to be over by now...I guess no new word on English release...sigh

Is reality just a fantasy?
SheaOhmsford #380339 23/08/09 06:07 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
No, sorry, I haven't heard of anything.

--Dilbert cartoon

AlrikFassbauer #380347 23/08/09 06:44 PM
old hand
old hand
Thanks.
Dissapointed...

I just wish we could get a comment from Larian or somebody about this.
Instead of just letting us speculate.

I'll try hold out though.
Hopefully it'll come when it can.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard