Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DivineGamer #380377 23/08/09 10:05 PM
Well, I think it is safe to say that this game is not going to be out in the US in September. There is just no way, we would know something by now. There is only a week left in this month and as we all know, things like this take time and we do not even know if they have inked a deal with a publisher yet.

Hell, I would be suprised to see it this year period, as I know that Larian does not want to drop it right in the middle of the holiday horde. It would be suicide for this game. What's worse, is Q1 for next year is packed as well with the likes of Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake, God of War 3, Splinter Cell Conviction, Darksiders, Dante's Inferno, ect. So, it will not be getting any easier any time soon.

This game is officially now on my backburner. Just too many other games that will be releasing that I have more interest in. Whenever this one does finally make it to the US, I will be waiting, but I am not about to get my hopes up because I am seriously doubting it will be any time soon at this point. However, I do hope I am wrong, but I sadly do not think I am.

ironcreed #380380 23/08/09 10:14 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
It will come when it can. It's not something the guys at Larian can do much about, I reckon. I'd rather they hold out on publishers 'till they get a decent deal, rather than getting *beep*ed like last time.

ironcreed #380473 24/08/09 01:05 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by ironcreed
Well, I think it is safe to say that this game is not going to be out in the US in September. There is just no way, we would know something by now. There is only a week left in this month and as we all know, things like this take time and we do not even know if they have inked a deal with a publisher yet.

Hell, I would be suprised to see it this year period, as I know that Larian does not want to drop it right in the middle of the holiday horde. It would be suicide for this game. What's worse, is Q1 for next year is packed as well with the likes of Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake, God of War 3, Splinter Cell Conviction, Darksiders, Dante's Inferno, ect. So, it will not be getting any easier any time soon.

This game is officially now on my backburner. Just too many other games that will be releasing that I have more interest in. Whenever this one does finally make it to the US, I will be waiting, but I am not about to get my hopes up because I am seriously doubting it will be any time soon at this point. However, I do hope I am wrong, but I sadly do not think I am.

Kinda depends. If larian releases an US version in october with a super-patch full of new stuff and bug-fixes, animation fixes, etc, i'm sure I'll go for it and put on standby other "big games".
If, on the other hand, larian releases the game with no substancial patch content update and its very similar to the current german version, i think i'll be too busy to give it the proper attention (even though i'll surely buy the game later of course), mostly because the "hype" already passed a little on D2 due to the sheer amount of gameplay videos around.

Releasing a game in germany so soon comparing to the other places in the world was (imho) a bad move, i just dont know how badly larian needed the financial help, but was a bad move nevertheless.

Adomingues #380484 24/08/09 02:00 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by Adomingues
Releasing a game in germany so soon comparing to the other places in the world was (imho) a bad move, i just dont know how badly larian needed the financial help, but was a bad move nevertheless.

I don't think so. I tend to believe it was rather a mixture of a "test arena" plus an early way of getting money in for them.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
AlrikFassbauer #380510 24/08/09 05:01 PM
old hand
old hand
I've got one question to Larian.

Do you actually have a Publisher?

DivineGamer #380512 24/08/09 05:55 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
1) I think that Germany release is a bit too circumstancial to call it a "test arena". Germany is a big player on the PC-games market. I think it's mostly thanks to the whole dtp thing.

2) They were planning on announcing a publisher at GamesCon, the fact that they didn't, means negotiations didn't go as smootly as hoped and there is no international publisher yet.

swordscythe #380532 24/08/09 07:30 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by swordscythe
2) They were planning on announcing a publisher at GamesCon, the fact that they didn't, means negotiations didn't go as smootly as hoped and there is no international publisher yet.

I think this is rather interpretattion, since there was no real announcement that there would be an announcement ... And furthermore we don't actually know a thing about what's going on behind those doors.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
AlrikFassbauer #380563 25/08/09 07:00 AM
old hand
old hand
Yeah.
It was all out speculation.

DivineGamer #380567 25/08/09 08:00 AM
old hand
old hand
Browsing the online game catalogi from some belgian shops, the largest game shop states that Divinity 2 will be avaible at the 2nd of October, I don't know how reliable this is though. Other belgian catalogi don't even have an entry for Divinity 2 though frown.

isorun #380571 25/08/09 09:06 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
It would surprise me if Ego Draconis would accidentally have the exact same release date as Risen.

DivineGamer #380591 25/08/09 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by DivineGamer
Yeah.
It was all out speculation.

Yeah. Promulgated mostly by you. oops

Is reality just a fantasy?
SheaOhmsford #380602 25/08/09 12:31 PM
old hand
old hand
I wouldn't say promulgated.
Personally, I would say I had a major part in this speculation.

There were so many signs though.
Like Email from Claas who said soon to which could have been GamesCom as buisness wise would be the best decision.
Plus on Facebook somebody who has access to the Divinity 2 FB said more details @GamesCom.

From now I'll be taking a back seat.

That is all [Linked Image]

DivineGamer #380622 25/08/09 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by DivineGamer
I wouldn't say promulgated.
Personally, I would say I had a major part in this speculation.

There were so many signs though.
Like Email from Claas who said soon to which could have been GamesCom as buisness wise would be the best decision.
Plus on Facebook somebody who has access to the Divinity 2 FB said more details @GamesCom.

From now I'll be taking a back seat.

That is all [Linked Image]

LOL Don't do that. You keep the boards moving, so to say. Obviously, nobody knows, and probably due to a breakdown in negotiations with a publisher, which is quite the bemmer. At any rate, hope it is all worked out soon...I'm as anxious as anyone to play the game. Peace.

SheaOhmsford #380988 27/08/09 12:43 PM
old hand
old hand
Wow these boards a really dead.
Larian can't we get a statement from you about the Publisher.

DivineGamer #380993 27/08/09 01:29 PM
old hand
old hand
I'm sorry guys - dates are still volatile so I can't give you an exact date per territory. I hope it'll all be sorted out very soon. The good news is that we haven't stopped worked on the game ever since it was out in Germany, and the list of improvements we've been able to make is vast.

Adomingues #381004 27/08/09 03:01 PM
journeyman
journeyman

seriously, what's so strange about an european development team releasing their game on europe's largest and most important pc games market first? i would have prefered an international release too, but i see their reasons for releasing it in ger first.

to everyone crying they won't play Divinity II because there are so many other games coming out in the near future: get over it. the longer it's gonna take them to release the english version, the more polished it will be.

if you wanna play it now, then i'd suggest getting the ger version, it's that easy. i remember, some time ago, when i was still playing console games, i found it very hard to wait for the english releases of all these cool games which were already available in japan at the time beeing. you know what? i decided to learn japanese. it's not like games were the only reason to learn the language but i think you get the point. so plz stop crying about other countries getting stuff first and accept it. either learn the language or find a way around the language barriers.

v1ctor #381008 27/08/09 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by v1ctor

seriously, what's so strange about an european development team releasing their game on europe's largest and most important pc games market first? i would have prefered an international release too, but i see their reasons for releasing it in ger first.

to everyone crying they won't play Divinity II because there are so many other games coming out in the near future: get over it. the longer it's gonna take them to release the english version, the more polished it will be.

if you wanna play it now, then i'd suggest getting the ger version, it's that easy. i remember, some time ago, when i was still playing console games, i found it very hard to wait for the english releases of all these cool games which were already available in japan at the time beeing. you know what? i decided to learn japanese. it's not like games were the only reason to learn the language but i think you get the point. so plz stop crying about other countries getting stuff first and accept it. either learn the language or find a way around the language barriers.

Not my intention to do so, but getting the German version may be difficult. I read somewhere yesterday (RPG Watch, maybe?) that the game was sold out in Germany. The expectation was to restock fairly quickly, but you never know. I'm waiting on English version, as maddening as it all is.

v1ctor #381039 27/08/09 08:43 PM
journeyman
journeyman

It seem rather negative to suggest that people are "crying" over Div2's release conflict with other games. That they want to be able to have time to play it without the interference of other games they are eager to play only suggests that Div2 is important enough to them to be disgruntled by the conflict. I happen to be in that boat. It looks like I'll probably end up putting Div2 on my "must buy later" list and skip the release window. I simply don't have the time to have more than one major game available to play at once.

v1ctor #381041 27/08/09 08:51 PM
journeyman
journeyman

I'm not going around into basic marketing strategies, but all goes around losing some potential buyers that are driven by the "hype phenomena", and losing potential buyers due to "using" the product with no revenue to the manufacturer because of unavailability of the desired product on its country.

Basicaly, a guy is driven by the hype and wants to buy, he can't, he gets it pirated, he plays, the hype phenomena stops, he ends the game, the game is released near him, he is playing other games already, no revenue.

All goes around the "hype" imho.

And when i say "its a bad move", i'm saying for larian, not for me. I'm not crying about anything and i'll buy the game even if its in 2010, but then again, i'm a big fan of larian.

Adomingues #381049 27/08/09 09:41 PM
old hand
old hand

Basicaly, a guy is driven by the hype and wants to buy, he can't, he gets it pirated, he plays, the hype phenomena stops, he ends the game, the game is released near him, he is playing other games already, no revenue.

All goes around the "hype" imho.

And when i say "its a bad move", i'm saying for larian, not for me. I'm not crying about anything and i'll buy the game even if its in 2010, but then again, i'm a big fan of larian.

It can be digitally purchased and downloaded. With the English hack it can be hacked but all the movies will remain in German (you get used to not understanding what they are saying and block it out). All videos are subtitled in English.

As for piracy, the copy protection so far seems to be doing a good job. The help forum gets a few posts a day about 3k skill points and no more xp after level 20.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 27/08/09 09:42 PM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard