Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
enthusiast
enthusiast
about the accomplishments: I think Larian employees already stressed that they had to do this for Xbox360, because it's really important to consoles, but that they didn't spend a lot of time on it or linked anything important to accomplishments, because that wasn't their thing.

Last edited by swordscythe; 14/08/09 04:44 PM.
old hand
old hand
Hopefully the PC version can have a patch to remove the accomplishments. I missed that post where they stressed that it was because of the X-box, glad to hear it was more of an involuntary thing rather than something they thought "hey this would be cool."

Last edited by LightningLockey; 15/08/09 01:28 AM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
Support
Support

You can just ignore achievements. They left them in the PC version (see Achievements?) because they figured some people might be interested in them, and it doesn't interfere with anything if you aren't.

old hand
old hand
Didn't realize they were that interactive. Maybe they might have a use after all. Thanks for the cross reference!

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
old hand
old hand
Can't you turn them off in PC Games?
Just ignore them, there not that big of a problem.

G
apprentice
apprentice
G
Originally Posted by wibble
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
This depends on who their fans actually are.

There are several factions among the fans :

- those who love the Ultima-related kind of gameplay in Divinity 1

- those who just love the hacking & slashing of Divinity 1

- those who love the free-roam possibility in Divinity 1

- those who love the environment of Divinity 1

This as the core.

Cheers, Alrik laugh

you've just demonstrated my angst with this game quite admirably... because there isn't ONE feature you have mentioned that is even CLOSE to being fundimental in the gameplay of D2...

...so I guess 'most' fans have been sidelined smirk

If i play Divinity 2 and happen to agree with this main point if yours,then that's a scary thought indeed.if this "sequel" is indeed unrelated to the first one then this is just A good rpg,not a true successor to the first DD.ok,now i'm starting to shiver lol

old hand
old hand
It is mostly the free roam that is gone. On each map your given quests and can do them in any order you want. Your still left with the feeling that you've got to just explore and see what you find.

All the environments that were in Divinity are in this game. There are underground villages, forests, dungeons, crypts, wastelands and stuff I don't know about as I'm waiting for the full English release to finish it off.

Remember, the main character in Divinity failed in his quest. Instead of killing the child he should have, he felt he could have raised the child to be good. In the end the Divine fell and war has destroyed the land. This isn't much of a spoiler since it is explained in the first 10 minutes of the game.

In Divinity 1 it has been hundreds of years since there was a major war. Towns and cities were able to be built and become well established to the point the villagers became ignorantly blissful of the war that was starting.

EDIT: Btw, there is more to the ending in the first game. It would make you appreciate the story of this game better to have played threw the first one.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 15/08/09 02:22 PM.

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
Let me just say this. I haven't read half of the topic (Because I'm stressed for time), but I do want to say this before I forget:
To the Topic Creator,

This exact complaint comes to mind when Fallout 3 was released. The people who have played the previous installment, in this case is DD, complain that the game is terrible in comparison. But that's exactly what you're doing wrong. Comparing it to DD. DD has been so long ago, that a lot, if not everything, has to change. The game-player base has changed utterly and completely. You cannot make the same exact game, gameplay wise, 10 years later if they want the game to sell. It just won't. Since it is so long ago, the best they can do is create as many allusions and likeness to the previous installment as they can, and hope the players understand the reason for the drastic changes. You, as a player, has to look at the game as a whole, not as a sequel, but as an independant game that is similar to the game it takes its name after.

Now I won't deny that I was just like you, except for Fallout 3. I compared it to Fallout 1/2 in every situation I could, and I didn't like it either. But when I took the name Fallout 3 away from it, and imagined it as a new game that has a similar storyline (Hard to do, I know), I fully appreciated the game for what it was. You need to do the same.

Nuff from me.

@Polantaris up

I agree with you - I haven´t played D2 but your points on not to compare a 10 year old game with a new one are good. I think some people have been disapointed for the exact reasons you mention.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Polantaris
Let me just say this. I haven't read half of the topic (Because I'm stressed for time), but I do want to say this before I forget:
To the Topic Creator,

This exact complaint comes to mind when Fallout 3 was released. The people who have played the previous installment, in this case is DD, complain that the game is terrible in comparison. But that's exactly what you're doing wrong. Comparing it to DD. DD has been so long ago, that a lot, if not everything, has to change. The game-player base has changed utterly and completely. You cannot make the same exact game, gameplay wise, 10 years later if they want the game to sell. It just won't. Since it is so long ago, the best they can do is create as many allusions and likeness to the previous installment as they can, and hope the players understand the reason for the drastic changes. You, as a player, has to look at the game as a whole, not as a sequel, but as an independant game that is similar to the game it takes its name after.

Now I won't deny that I was just like you, except for Fallout 3. I compared it to Fallout 1/2 in every situation I could, and I didn't like it either. But when I took the name Fallout 3 away from it, and imagined it as a new game that has a similar storyline (Hard to do, I know), I fully appreciated the game for what it was. You need to do the same.

Nuff from me.

I've loved Fallout 1, 2, and 3.

All were great games during their era and solidify this RPG series as one of the best RPG series around, if you ask me.

It probably helps that I like most styles of RPG's and action-RPG's, regardless of their control method -- click-and-point RPG's (think Diablo, BG2, Divine Divinity) and direct control style of RPG's (think Oblivion and Fallout 3). Some games, even allow you to decide whether to use WSAD/cursors for direct movement or to just use the mouse to click-and-point to move around -- think Sacred 2 or Guild Wars.

Probably, the two genre of games I play most are RPG and FPS.

Last edited by MysterD; 07/09/09 02:17 PM.
H
stranger
stranger
H
I think people (and I am the same) have fond memories of the games of yesteryear. Games that back then were fairly unique and in the minority.

Morrowind was my all time favourite game and yet revisiting it for me 6 years later it has aged. Yes I know mods have done this and that but now I just look on at it as the first truly 3D game I played and it has a certain place in my heart.

This is similar to DD. People remember it for what is was a rather quirky yet unique little game that came underneath the radar. Personally I am not sure how they can possibly follow this up without making it pretty much exactly the same.

I guess it's the same as George Lucas. Hell the hell does he live up to his own hype with the first three films?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by HamishUK
I think people (and I am the same) have fond memories of the games of yesteryear. Games that back then were fairly unique and in the minority.

I have lots of fond memories of games from yester-year and today, myself.

Morrowind was my all time favourite game and yet revisiting it for me 6 years later it has aged. Yes I know mods have done this and that but now I just look on at it as the first truly 3D game I played and it has a certain place in my heart.

As much as I loved Morrowind, I'll take Oblivion over it anyday.
As much as I loved Oblivion, I think Fallout 3 was even better than Oblivion.

This is similar to DD. People remember it for what is was a rather quirky yet unique little game that came underneath the radar. Personally I am not sure how they can possibly follow this up without making it pretty much exactly the same.

And if DD is too much of the same, it'll likely get slammed for that -- especially being so many years later, too.

I guess it's the same as George Lucas. Hell the hell does he live up to his own hype with the first three films?

He likely can't.
He'll likely never top A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of The Jedi.
I liked Empire the best, myself.
All three of those films were great.

Revenge Of The Sith was very good -- and is as close as he'll likely get, for now...

I did like Phantom Menace and Clone Wars -- they were decent -- but they're nowhere as great as the other FOUR.

Last edited by MysterD; 07/09/09 04:00 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard