Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally Posted by DivineGamer
Divinity 2 uses a classes based system.
You can be anything or everything you want to be.

I keep hearing this, and it's technically true, but if you don't specialize in one or the other( or at least 2/3-1/3, 3/4-1/4), I would be willing to bet that your effectiveness goes down. Sure, you can play middle of the road and even out stats across the board, but some folks like pure melee, some pure mage, etc. I would hope you would have to strategize differently for each different build to have relative success throughout the game. And I think that what Lightning was asking is it reccommended to play more as mage(spells) or a melee(close combat) or a ranger(bow and arrow) kinda character.

What is the OPs opinion of which build type would be more successful?

Last edited by SheaOhmsford; 27/07/09 09:05 PM.

Is reality just a fantasy?
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
I wanted to add some of my impressions:

-first of all i agree with what some of the devs have said here, i use the dodge and hiding behind trees and rocks strategy very often and it makes it seem pretty tactical.

-second of all i just wanted to highlight one thing that really stood out to me, and that was approaching the maxos temple. what an awe inspiring sight combined with the music. rarely in a video game am i sort of overwhelmed by big structures but that one is very cool. it made me feel very small and sort of reminded me of the feeling when in indiana jones 3 they approach the rock cut temple at the end.

the only big negatives i can think of are:
-when choosing reward, buying item you can not compare it to what you have equipped currently
-you can not add comments to the map which i find very strange because you can add your own markers and you were able to do it in dd.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by LightningLockey

So what would you suggest to play as? A mage, ranger or warrior type person?

My warrior started as a ranger, and I can kill thing fast, so i like it, I don't know if Mages or Rangers are as strong, or Priests...

oh and pinstripe, you're right about the beginning, when i hit lvl 12, life was hard.

btw: I never use buff potions, and i still survive ^^
but could be useful, for harder areas, i guess :P

Grtz

P.S.: Anyone got a pro tip nr3?

old hand
old hand
While it is true that for the first 10 levels or so one needs to be careful and take cover behind trees or rocks a lot when dealing with mages or archers, for a pure warrior (focusing on strength & vitality) strategy goes completely out of the window as soon as one gets 5 levels life leech and/or bleed whilst maxing out for instance thousand strikes... one can charge groups of enemies and strike them down like flies.

I imagine the same would be true for a wizard with a high level of fireball... in fact I think wizard may be the most powerful class since level 10 fireball does over 500 damage in a very large radius... for ranged characters level 10 in explosive arrows is very powerful too --- but the ranger has the problem that bows are not as prevalent as melee weapons.

Last edited by virumor; 17/08/09 09:26 PM.
stranger
stranger
Indeed, although i'm not a pure warrior, i use firewall and heal on the occasion.
I'm thinking of making 3 different characters to test it.

Thousand strikes might be strong, but has a long cooldown time, but for me is mostly a 1-hit kill.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Pure warrior with two weapons (600ish HPs, HIGH regeneration items, and 12 or 13 skillpoints in the top-left warrior skill (whirlywind? no clue about the english name) is much more powerful than a caster with a 13 or 15 skillpoint-fireball.

Thousand strikes on 10, two weapons on 12 basically kills ALL enemies with on application of the thousand strikes. Exception are the hardest bosses, they go down only 2/3 with that.
With the charge attack, I could do 1500 points of damage in a single critical (and I did not even think a lot about totaly maximisation), so I assume a "good" thousand strikes could deal out around 2000 points of damage (normal attacks would be 250ish to 500ish).

The whirlwind was doing some 500 to 800 damage near the endgame (and with the draining mana-ability I never had mana-issues).

My mage could in no way compete with THAT (and he already was powerful).

old hand
old hand
Basically my entire post is a spoiler. This is how my stat and skill points were spread out over all classes. Being a warrior, your not restricted from learning every mage spell or ranger skill. can even summon stuff if you want.

Ok, this is going off my memory. I borrowed a German copy off someone that imported it and no longer have it. Fortunately I've got a half decent memory on this game.

Stats: (about level 20-24 I think)
35 vitality
45 strength
1 Sprint
9 Dexterity
1 Intelligence

Skills: (that I used the most)
Mage:
Mana Efficient 5/5 (gotta max this out)
Mana Leach 1/5 (maybe max out towards the end)
Heal 2/5 (will max out)

Warrior: (sadly, didn't experiment with them all)
Rush Attack 1/5 (might max out)
Fatality 1/5 (will max out)
Jump attack 1/5 (waste)
Life Leach 1/5 (might max out)

Ranger:
Evade 1/5 (might max out)
Potion Efficient: 5/5 (gotta max this out!)

Dragon Knight (or what ever the last one was)
Lock Pick 5/5 (maxed out got early on)
Mindread 1/5 (it reduces the xp it costs, but right now rather use skill points for wisdom)
Wisdom: 4/5 (this gives extra xp, not maxed out because of an item that givs +1 to wisdom)
Single Weapon Expertise 2/5 (wasn't impressed, but would probably max out)

Basically as you can see, I'm all over the place with skills from different classes. Not being a mage, I've gotta manage my mana and wasn't planning on dumping stat points into INT and Spirit. All classes use mana for their skills so the Mana Efficant skill is desperately needed. Potion Efficant really helped big time. Heal made life a lot less reliant on potions and used them only when heal wasn't good enough.

You start the game where it seems like your going into a class, but can break away from it and do a total new build without any real penalty. Your only real penalty might be a skill point in something you won't use.

My character usually ended up with a bow in the "overworld" due to cowardly mages /rangers. Rush attack into them was usually suicidal. It is great for one or two of them. Sometimes used bow in dungeons. Usually in dungeons or "underworlds" it was mostly melee. I went with bow because Dexterity controls how hard you hit for critical attacks so it was more benefical for a warrior over putting points in intelligence and using fireball.

For those that didn't play Divine Divinity, this is basically how you'll end up with stats, all over the place.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 24/08/09 03:31 AM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Silverdragon

Thousand strikes on 10, two weapons on 12 basically kills ALL enemies with on application of the thousand strikes. Exception are the hardest bosses, they go down only 2/3 with that.
With the charge attack, I could do 1500 points of damage in a single critical (and I did not even think a lot about totaly maximisation), so I assume a "good" thousand strikes could deal out around 2000 points of damage (normal attacks would be 250ish to 500ish).

I found that with level 10 life-leech & level 10 bleed normal enemies died in one or two simple hits most of the time... I never put more than one point in whirlwind & rush attack.

Bosses are very easy with level 10 fatality, though.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I think all combat- and caster-skills work "nicely" on high levels. The mage I played had only 2 points (total of three) in sword + shield skill but he still could fight very decent (even vs. bosses).

P
stranger
stranger
P
Well at the beginning i liked the game a lot. It looked like combination of dungeon siege and gothic with many side quests, variety of choices in finnishing quests - something i've been looking for for quite some time. Then after getting battle tower and becoming dragon it seemed even more interresting. But final imnpression after finnishing game changed a lot. Game is way too short - it has background and buildup for at least 2-3 more areas where it would be nice to get some more item sets, difficult quests etc. Also game ending is... a bit strange. It gives possibility to make continuation in next game or addon but doesn;t give me feeling of finnishing game.
Overall game is quite good - if it was longer and had more items variety (hard to get sets mostly) it could be a really great game. Looking forward for addon or next part.

Last edited by PTAQ; 29/08/09 11:37 AM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Too short? Are you sure you finished all side-quests? In regard to playtime, it's around what those RPGs all are (Gothic, Mass Effect etc).

A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by PTAQ
Well at the beginning i liked the game a lot. It looked like combination of dungeon siege and gothic

Dungeon Siege ? Bah !

Gothic ? Well, okay.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
enthusiast
enthusiast
I must say, while I felt Dungeon Siege 1 was appalling, I kind of liked the second one. It's not great, by any means, but as long as you don't take it too seriously it's a fun game. It looks good, it plays well, the gear sets are great fun and there is a lot of character customization.. It's like a party based diablo type thing with better graphics and cooler gear. As an RPG, it's by no means very profound and good... but I wasn't expecting good.

I do agree that Divinity 2 has a few things in common with Dungeon Siege. I noticed that it goes pretty much the same way with itemization and skill system... Of course, it doesn't have a LOT in common... but some.

And Gothic games, well, Gothic II is one of my favorite games ever. I'm looking forward to playing Risen, and plan to buy Risen, Divinity 2 CE and (perhaps) dragon age as soon as it comes out. For Arcania, I plan to wait on the reviews, 'cause I've not much faith in JoWood.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard