Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A
veteran
veteran
A
I rather meant that this "achievements" thing is that you might actually discover something special or so.

This "speciality" is then missing on the PC version, I guess, hence my thought.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
old hand
old hand
Achievements are great in mmorpg's where you spend months to years leveling characters.

For a game like this, they seem immature. When I think of Larian, my thoughts are on "A company that produces epic mythological role playing games for a mature audience." The achievements on this masterpiece is absolute tarnish.

The option to turn them off would be great, especially if it is pointed out on how to disable them in the tutorial section.

Even with finding super secret hidden areas, we didn't need them in DD, and don't need them in D2.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 29/08/09 06:22 PM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
I rather meant that this "achievements" thing is that you might actually discover something special or so.

Ok, we can agree on that. There are achievements ok... If you found the secret cave, the secret quest, combined the secret item, then it's ok to note that somewhere.

Just giving out achievements for "Hey, you entered the second chapter of the game" or "You rock, you just beat the game" or "Wow, I'm so impressed by your strength, you just killed your first monster!!1" or "!!!ACHIEVEMENT!!! You found out how to open the menu!"... god, those suck!
And Larian really showed how not to do it with the one in the spoiler above. I'm still annoyed about that.

old hand
old hand
Something I thought of, there really were no birds in the game. I'm not talking chickens or ducks, but birds that flew that were not really monsters. Just graphics to give atmospheric depth of birds flying or hopping around on roof tops.

It was something I saw in DD when replaying it the other night, birds flying across the screen. Also no cats killing rats in town or pet dogs barking.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
G
journeyman
journeyman
G
Originally Posted by Silverdragon
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer

Ok, we can agree on that. There are achievements ok... If you found the secret cave, the secret quest, combined the secret item, then it's ok to note that somewhere.

Just giving out achievements for "Hey, you entered the second chapter of the game" or "You rock, you just beat the game" or "Wow, I'm so impressed by your strength, you just killed your first monster!!1" or "!!!ACHIEVEMENT!!! You found out how to open the menu!"... god, those suck!
And Larian really showed how not to do it with the one in the spoiler above. I'm still annoyed about that.

Almost every Developer have such stupid achievements.

gemex #381534 30/08/09 08:47 AM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
If everyone would shoot himself in the head (or take heroin or whatever)... would you try to convince me to do it as well because "everyone does it"?

It sucks, it's some stupid marketing idea from console-world (you know, nice *cough* companies as Microsoft and Sony). I agree that for really *special* things you can have achievements. But that should be it.

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
If everyone would shoot himself in the head (or take heroin or whatever)... would you try to convince me to do it as well because "everyone does it"?

It sucks, it's some stupid marketing idea from console-world (you know, nice *cough* companies as Microsoft and Sony). I agree that for really *special* things you can have achievements. But that should be it.

Arent there bigger problems in the world out there? For example that every second Afrcian has Aids and have to eat insects to keep themselves alive?

You dont get it right? Your problem is so small... omg, just live with it.

gemex #381540 30/08/09 09:22 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
^ that is not a valid argument, gemex. Those kinds of 'arguments' are just conversation killers. If you can't spout your ire over things that seem petty in comparison to other things, there would be absolutely nothing to talk about.

Anyway, I agree. The only thing they could make achievements work is to make such an epically long saga with such grand achievements that it would be impossible to make before you go bankrupt. And still people would complain.

The only way is to just leave them out, and yes, a checkbox in the options menu for PC would be handy.

gemex #381542 30/08/09 09:27 AM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by gemex
You dont get it right? Your problem is so small... omg, just live with it.

Compared to all the bad things in africa this discussion is a small thing. Why bother replying to puny issues like this, why argue where there are so much bigger fights to fight?
You see: Something like what you did is pointless, so please... don't start it.

gemex #381544 30/08/09 09:39 AM
v1ctor Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
[Linked Image]

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
Originally Posted by swordscythe
^ that is not a valid argument, gemex. Those kinds of 'arguments' are just conversation killers. If you can't spout your ire over things that seem petty in comparison to other things, there would be absolutely nothing to talk about.

Anyway, I agree. The only thing they could make achievements work is to make such an epically long saga with such grand achievements that it would be impossible to make before you go bankrupt. And still people would complain.

The only way is to just leave them out, and yes, a checkbox in the options menu for PC would be handy.

Why dont kill conversations where no conversation should be? ;]

gemex #381547 30/08/09 10:19 AM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
It's about this: You have an opinion and you think there should be no conversation as no other than your opinion is valid.

gemex #381564 30/08/09 12:59 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast

if you don't think the conversation is worth meddling in... don't meddle in it?

G
journeyman
journeyman
G

That makes no sense, if i have something against a political conversation should i shut up then too?
But anyways we're moving out of Topic:

Achievements good or not good? Thats the Question =)

gemex #381588 30/08/09 03:11 PM
old hand
old hand
Gemax, your really taking this off topic. Your rambling on stuff that has nothing to do with the game.

Africa, bugs, aids, politics... geeze.

Back to the original discussion before the derailment...

There is a lot to be said here with this. We have computers to keep away from console versions of the games and many people are insulted when asked if they play X-box, PlayStation or the Wii. It is great to be able to reach out to a larger audience, though Achievements is annoying in the eyes of avid PC gamers as we can see here.

Such a simple thing to remove disable or just plain hide that we don't see it.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 30/08/09 03:16 PM.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
A switch would be best thing: Those who like them, have the achievements, those who do not like them... don't have them. It'd be very simple and everyone would be happy.
You could even make a middle-version, where achievements are tracked, but they do not get displayed on the screen when you get one...

gemex #381634 30/08/09 06:00 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast

That makes no sense, if i have something against a political conversation should i shut up then too?
But anyways we're moving out of Topic:

Achievements good or not good? Thats the Question =)
but gemex, you're the one who said that "the Question", as you now put it, is silly and inane. So, for you, it is not 'the Question', it is a matter of no importance at all and everyone should shut up about it.

And yes, if you have something against a political conversation taking place, it is best to shut up about it. If a political conversation is being held, then it means that it is necessary that it is held. Perhaps to you it doesn't matter, but as long as it matters to anyone (as it obviously does in this case) then they ought to be free to discuss it. Anyone who says they shouldn't, is advocating curtailing the right for free speech, and that is very precarious ground.

Last edited by swordscythe; 31/08/09 12:19 AM.
v1ctor Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
A switch would be best thing: Those who like them, have the achievements, those who do not like them... don't have them. It'd be very simple and everyone would be happy.
You could even make a middle-version, where achievements are tracked, but they do not get displayed on the screen when you get one...

i don't like the idea of having achievements in a PC game neither. especially if there's no purpose in unlocking them. hope they'll remove them in future versions.

v1ctor #381730 31/08/09 10:14 AM
Gor Offline
@ForkTong:

Can you tell us the exact time the patch will be released? I am working for a big german gaming portal and would like to announce your patch as soon as it will be available.

TIA,
Gor

Gor #381732 31/08/09 10:31 AM
v1ctor Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by dtp Betty
Hallo zusammen,

hier kommt eine offizielle Ansage:
Der Patch 1.02 ist in Arbeit und kommt vermutlich Ende August.

Eure Betty
according to the publisher, it's gotta be today.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard