Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Kein #383319 06/09/09 02:57 PM
Rei Offline
veteran
veteran
That's right. dtp betty said it in the german forum here.

Rei #383536 07/09/09 09:16 AM
As for the savegame backwards compatibility:

All fixes will work for every savegame. Clear enough? smile

I would say, read the patch notes and then decide if you think it's important enough to start a new game or continue your old savegame.

Greever #383546 07/09/09 09:57 AM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Greever
[...] read the patch notes and then decide if you think it's important enough to start a new game or continue your old savegame.

Great idea! Could you please post the patch notes. biggrin

Sorry, I had to try this... hehe

So long,
Jy'Ger

Wenn sie irr werden solln sie die Wahrheit sehn. Wenn sie sinken ins Meer solln sie auferstehn.
Wenn die Liebenden fallen - die Liebe fällt nicht. Und dem Tod soll kein Reich mehr bleiben.

Dylan Thomas
Jy'Ger #383582 07/09/09 12:35 PM
veteran
veteran
As for the savegame backwards compatibility:

All fixes will work for every savegame. Clear enough?

<3<3<3<3<3<3 D2 engine :P

Also, Greever, do you know by chance if 1.02 patch includes some voiceover/dialog changes? If so - will be english strings provided for these changes as well? ;P

Last edited by Kein; 07/09/09 12:40 PM.
Kein #383603 07/09/09 01:26 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by Kein
Also, Greever, do you know by chance if 1.02 patch includes some voiceover/dialog changes? If so - will be english strings provided for these changes as well? ;P

For the German version of the game ? Why ?

Remember, this patch is currently directed at the German version of the game. No other editions, since they are simply not available, read: "not there".

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
addict
addict
Alrik...

Well, if Larian wanted to and as long as their publishers are okay with it, they could go the route of CD Projekt did with The Witcher...

Larian could release all the voice-over packages and subtitles packages (if they are done, of course) for the registered game owner to download from their site so the gamer can choose to play the voice-over audio and subtitles in whatever language as they see fit.

EDIT:
Sure, it would likely be a hefty few GB download for one voice-over and subtitle pack and all of that -- but, that's for the gamer to deal with, right? :P

That or say CDV and Larian if they wanted to could re-release the game Divinity 2: Enhanced Edition w/ ALL the voice-over packs on disc at a later said date sometime down the line, maybe?

Just some thoughts here...

MysterD #383653 07/09/09 03:57 PM
veteran
veteran

You will not believe me but german version of the game has english language!
>_>
<_<

Kein #383657 07/09/09 04:06 PM
addict
addict

You will not believe me but german version of the game has english language!
>_>
<_<

Officially from Larian?
With English written subtitles?

MysterD #383660 07/09/09 04:24 PM
Support
Support

If Larian is going to release an official patch to allow switching the text language, it will not be until after the international release of the game. I'm pretty sure publishers would not want sales cannibalized by having an easy to get/play import version available before the official release in their area, so that is likely a standard part of any publishing agreement.

Raze #383668 07/09/09 05:42 PM
L
apprentice
apprentice
L
But from what I am reading thus far, CDV doesn't seem to be a popular publisher. And they might actually get more sales if "English language pack" is provided for registered users with imported version of the game.

lethial #383670 07/09/09 05:48 PM
old hand
old hand
How Would they get more sales?
English Language Pack could mean more people pirating the german version.

Raze #383671 07/09/09 05:59 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Raze

If Larian is going to release an official patch to allow switching the text language, it will not be until after the international release of the game.

That would be fine with me.

I'm pretty sure publishers would not want sales cannibalized by having an easy to get/play import version available before the official release in their area, so that is likely a standard part of any publishing agreement.

Quite understandable.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Originally Posted by DivineGamer

And more people that would import the game. Why do yo think that only people that pirate the game would want the English pack?

Edit:
Making decisions with pirates in mind is not the best way to improve sales and recognition.

More often than not, those type of decisions only aggravate the customer and piss off loyal fans.

Here is a different viewpoint for your reading pleasure

Last edited by lethial; 07/09/09 06:51 PM.
lethial #383695 07/09/09 06:51 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by lethial
Originally Posted by DivineGamer

And more people that would import the game. Why do yo think that only people that pirate the game would want the English pack?

Well thats not exactly good for CDV and other Publishers.
I think that people will pirate it as its the easiest way to the game.
Having the English Pack makes it even more enticing.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
I agree that CDV will not be happy, but I am sure fans will, so I guess in the end it depends on Larian.

TBH, I am fine with whatever they decide. I do software development myself, and I know what is it like to deal with the "sales department..."

They could require us to register our games (via a form of proof of purchase) in order to obtain the English package.

Yes, it won't stop dishonest people from uploading the package. But those people shouldn't be the target audience, they will likely pirate the game sooner or later (when the US release is out).

I have to believe that fans (esp. everyone that posts here and would go through all the hassle to import the game and use the rather tedious procedure to hack English into the game) are not the dishonorable types.

Just my 2 cent. But I do think that nowadays, there are too many "bad" trends in the game industry. "Doing things with the sole consideration for pirates" is one of them.

lethial #383721 07/09/09 08:45 PM
veteran
veteran
Officially from Larian?

What is the point of these words? To state your opinion? Useless, it is not changes the fact - game HAS english subds.

My point is: there is no actual reason to release patch which will be incompatible with "english" version. It is like trying to extinguish a small flame when the house is already burnt down. And just a spittle in the face of the community.

But yeh, I understand, money comes first. I just hope that patch initially will be made with english string and then translated to german without cutting the first ones (like - I guess - the game was made :P).

Kein #383727 07/09/09 09:27 PM
addict
addict
Officially from Larian?

What is the point of these words? To state your opinion?

No, it was actually all questions -- as it was written.

I wasn't sure if it was officially or unofficially supported.
Thanks for clarifying.

Do a lot of German games (fully voice-acted and fully subtitled in German) get an additional option for the US gamer to be able to use English written subtitles officially?

Last edited by MysterD; 07/09/09 09:32 PM.
lethial #383760 07/09/09 10:49 PM
K
stranger
stranger
K
They could require us to register our games (via a form of proof of purchase) in order to obtain the English package.

Yes, but that'd be taken advantage of by pirates as well. The English package would just be spread around in the same fashion as the game itself is right now. Unfortunate as it may be, you're probably not going to find a way to make something piracy-proof. Given enough time, I'm sure any means of security could eventually be cracked. Some of these pirates are extremely knowledgable.

the rather tedious procedure to hack English into the game

It's actually quite the opposite of difficult. From what I've seen, it looks like you just copy/paste a file and make a small change to a registry value. It also seems that many people are not experiencing these bugs that are supposed to plague a language hacked version. It actually seems as though those who got the game legitimately are having more problems than the pirates somehow.

kuru308 #383761 07/09/09 11:00 PM
L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Originally Posted by kuru308

Yes, but that'd be taken advantage of by pirates as well. The English package would just be spread around in the same fashion as the game itself is right now. Unfortunate as it may be, you're probably not going to find a way to make something piracy-proof. Given enough time, I'm sure any means of security could eventually be cracked. Some of these pirates are extremely knowledgable.

Yeah I know, hence the reason I posted above that rather than doing everything trying to fight against people that will probably never get the game anyway, why not spend the energy on standing by honest customers? wink

Originally Posted by kuru308

It's actually quite the opposite of difficult. From what I've seen, it looks like you just copy/paste a file and make a small change to a registry value. It also seems that many people are not experiencing these bugs that are supposed to plague a language hacked version. It actually seems as though those who got the game legitimately are having more problems than the pirates somehow.

I said "tedious" not "difficult." wink There are lots of files to change.

I have the hacked version that I brought and so far so good. Also, a lot of the bugs that I have read have to do with the Securom somehow not detecting the DVD in the drive properly, which is a bug that would affect non-hacked version too.

lethial #383763 07/09/09 11:06 PM
K
stranger
stranger
K
I said "tedious" not "difficult." wink There are lots of files to change.

In one pirated release of this game that I saw on a public tracker they have the entire process automated at this point, so it's just a matter of double-clicking something. It's pretty crazy what they come up with. And yeah, I've noticed far more legitimate owners of the game being screwed over by the SecuROM stuff than pirates. Seems the lengths they've went to to discourage piracy (level 15 skillpoint overload, etc) is in fact hurting paying customers instead of the actual intended victims.

Can't really blame the company for trying everything they can to protect the thing they've invested so much time and effort in.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard