Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Support
Support

I never used a demon, but I would assume they do regular melee damage. It would be strange to design a melee fighter that did magical damage, especially since the undead summon uses a magical attack.
I don't think summons or your creature get a bonus from your stats. That would penalize people trying to get support where their character is weakest, which is the main benefit of using a summon or creature. Playing a strength based warrior, I certainly found my creature did much better in the fjords (trying to take out a couple level 21 imps at level 17) with a ranger head than it did with a warrior head, and a little better later when I switched it to a mage head.

D
dem Offline
stranger
stranger
D
I think you are pobably right. I was thinking about creating a character that uses a lot of summoning; summon demon for close in melee fighting and summon undead for ranged magical attacks. I was hoping I could get a bonus as well. There is a skill that increases the damage of your summoned creatures. I only have summon ghost which is a life saver. I don't think the summon mastery skill helps them though. Not really sure because from time to time my ghost does seem to attack.

E
journeyman
journeyman
E
Are 2h weapons really that great? Last time I played through I could barely get through the final fight on the easiest difficulty with one just because of how slow it is + the fact that on average you'll hit for the lowest or near the lowest damage range more than the high range. A single max damage range crit isn't worth 99% of your attacks doing pathetic damage, IMO.

veteran
veteran
Hmmm .... all kind of melee combat I find difficult in the (final) battle ... so I used mostly magic + melee or magic + ranged or magic + melee + ranged combination.

But I never specialized in 1 specific melee combat skill, for example "Dual Wielding" or "Sword and Shield Expertise" or another "expertise" in a kind of weapon ... (see the Dragon Knight Skills) ... or taking skills like Rush Attack, Thousand Strikes, etc (Warrior Skills) ...

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
enthusiast
enthusiast
One thing to consider with Dual Wielding is (so far as I can tell) damage bonuses (+X melee/magic) are counted twice, once for each weapon. With two weapons with good enchants/charms/other bonuses of this nature the damage you deal out can be quite substancial. By the end I was dealing 420 to 503 normal damage and 248 to 273 magic damage in melee, and I had not really pushed the stats that up damage and both swords still had a charm slot.

Edit (Math):

Dual Wielding 13: 25% / 50%
Strength: 52 * .5 = 26%
Intelligence: 42 * 1 = 42%
Right Hand: 46 to 77 + 27 (+27)
Left Hand: 27 to 45 + 59 (18 to 30 + 27)

Here are some possible formulae for max normal damage.

Formula 1: ((77 + 27) * 1.25 + (45 + 59) * 1.5) * 1.26 = 326.34
Formula 2: ((77 * 1.25 + 45 * 1.5) + 2 * (27 + 59)) * 1.26 = 389.025
Formula 3: ((77 + 27 + 59) * 1.25 + (45 + 59 + 27) * 1.5) * 1.26 = 470.296
Formula 4: ((77 * 1.25 + (45 + (59 + 27) * 2) * 1.5) * 1.26 = 497.385

The real value is higher still (by about 5.6), but the fouth formula is fairly close. It would be intersting to see how the numbers for two handed weapons stack up, if someone cares to post them.

A
Art Offline
stranger
stranger
A
I have gone through the game only about three times, usually ending up a dual wielder with magic missile as a major killer, e.g. for the raging dragon and the demon in the twoer battle. I am sure a lot could be improved on but one thing for sure; destruction worked great for me and if it adds to magic damage on weapons, which I am not sure of; is almost unbeatable for any type of character.

stranger
stranger
Hmm, nice guide. I havn't read the entire thread, so this might have been already asked - but every other FAQ/Guide I've read recommends Exploding Arrows over Splitting Arrows. In fact, most say that exp. arrows is the best AOE attack in the game?

Also, the advantage of having extra enchant/charm slots on DW weapons, far outweighs the extra damage of 2H?? Especially taking into consideration +magic damage, that effects spell damage as well.

Last edited by AlaCarcuss; 03/12/10 08:01 AM.
old hand
old hand
Exploding arrows has only 5 seconds cooldown and does more damage maxed out than a maxed fireball (which has a 25 seconds cooldown). With 100 dexterity and the best bow, you will often crit for 10,000 damage. Overkill.

Splitting arrows maxed out is great at point blank range.

apprentice
apprentice
I didn't read the whole guide (takes too long - you talks too much y'all oops.. so do I grin ) so sorry if I'm repeating, but I am a mage, with a bit of some warrior as I got my strength up to 10 initially for equipment.

This has turned out to be quite handy if there's all of a sudden a bunch of enemies right in your face, which will proceed to be killing you as your magic missile is still seeking them. I have dual wield with some nice axes which can usually take them out, or at least stun them with whirlwind (which btw I think is a must for any class - unless you have no melee weapons whatsoever) which I will use as fast as I can (this keyboard thing sometimes sucks and I can't get to the key fast enough - old sticky keyboard = wanting to hurl it at the wall) till the magic missile kicks in

Magic missile is fantastic and at even level 5 will decimate most enemies even a couple of levels above yours. Plus you're at a safe distance - excellent quality to have. wink

I also disagree with a few people on the forum about fireball - of course it has a 15s cool-down but most of the others do as well. If's there's a bunch of enemies at a distance whom you wouldn't want to rush you, this will take them ALL out stone cold DEAD. (Absolutely funner than hell to watch as well delight) And of course you spam like mad with missile before or afterwords, whichever makes the most sense.

I decided to put a couple of points in vitality so I wouldn't be punctured like a balloon quite so easily. Only about 7 though. No more in strength. A fair amount in intelligence, because I did want my damage to count more when I was weaker, then pretty much everything I had into spirit. You will need that extra mana like crazy especially once your spells get higher in level or you will be one very, very dead mage unless you have like 300 potions. I am now level 14 (a lot lower than most of you) but I think I've got my strategy mapped out.

I've already maxed lock pick a long time ago (the stuff in those chests can not only earn you money but get better equipment to help you stay alive). (Plus I have curiosity that killed the cat - but satisfaction brought him back - good kitty delight) The rest I have put in magic missile and fireball - the last two I waited two levels so i could level them up. And 1 level in magic blast so I can see what it might do. Haven't tried it yet though.

ps: I have now enjoyed several times about 5 maxos skeletons appear right in my face and with one fireball (297 damage each) they fall to the ground like swatted flies.

Sorry - forgot to mention I have one point in destruction (although that still doesn't seem like I should be getting the damage I am - but who cares!

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be welcome. grin

Last edited by Cyrion; 05/12/10 09:11 AM.

Conan stood paralyzed in the disruption of the faculties which demoralizes anyone who is confronted by an impossible negation of sanity.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
I am a mage but I decided I will put points on vitality and it's great! I am level 39 on the flames of vengeance (I entered when I was level 32 because I was lazy and didnt do some quests). I think vitality is a good investment! I got 70 int and 70 spirit with item bonuses included. Now vitality is 73 with items and I started investing on str and on skill regeneration because I want to have great HP regen. Hp regen with my level 13 healing spell means I cant die. And I don't!

THIS GAME IS GREAT!!
veteran
veteran
I also think it's good to invest points in Vitality (first)!
You can find/make potions that temporarily increase your Dexerity, Strength, Intelligence or all your Resistances, but no potion can temporarily increase your Vitality (or Spirit) wink

And I remember Vitality Charms are more rarer than other kind of Charms (in D2:ED), but maybe not so 'rare' in the DKS?

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
stranger
stranger
Hi, you guys are talking about a different game then i have, i have divinity 2 ego draconis, some of the posts i am reading are talking about skills that aren't offered to me in my game. Also I am totally new to this game as well, few things I can't figure out, and I am getting so tired of rerolling toons. any help plse. and any helpful sites to figure puzzles out when i am stumped plse tell.

1 . where is this damn battle tower at ... is it maxxos's temple or is it on sentinal island.

B I am looking for info to build a pure bow user or pure mage. the info i have read b4 must be on a different version of divinity 2 i don't even know if my game goes past lvl 20 . Also plse tell me what class you like more, i like to hear others thoughts.

2. the highest toon i have thus far is lvl 16 and still haven't found this battle tower. it's a bow ... with bad skill point setup and such .... any help plse ...

C. is putting points into lock picking and wisdom a waste of sp?

ty for thoughts

ccs9911 #440112 05/03/11 06:03 AM
stranger
stranger
forgot to say that i am using a pc to play this game and i have never played or seen any of the other divinity 2 games.

ccs9911 #440117 05/03/11 07:20 AM
Support
Support

There is a D2:ED walkthrough, guide (with screenshots) and a Divinity 2 Wiki, if you don't mind possible spoilers. The Divinity 2: Ego Draconis All-Purpose Guide contains lots of info on stats, equipment, etc.

The battle tower is on Sentinel Island, with the path leading to it in the area west of the main shipwreck survivors' camp. Initially there is a barrier blocking access until you have progressed enough with the main plot (finish off everything else on the island, and in Broken Valley, before completing the battle tower).

You got a book of magic that can control wind when you rescued the guy on the top of the pillar (near the trainer Kenneth). There is a windy spot near where you start on the island with a tombstone and three candles...

The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide

So: warrior, mage or archer?

I maxed Lockpick as soon as I could, and don't regret it. Wisdom I didn't bother with, though did use a couple pieces of equipment with a Wisdom bonus. Late in the game I had spare skill points, and put some into Wisdom (next game I probably will not, especially since I'll be playing a ranger rather than a warrior, so will likely have less free skill points).

Once you get the battle tower you will be able to unlearn all your skills and reinvest them where you wish. The cost to unlearn skills doubles each time you do so, but you should easily be able to reskill 2 or maybe 3 times.

Welcome to the forum. wave

Raze #440119 05/03/11 08:02 AM
stranger
stranger
ty for information much appreciated. i love archers or ranger class, i like the idea of wearing

armor and being a range toon that is fast; also i enjoy kiting. just came from lineage 2 wich is a

massive mmog it's similar set up to this so this. the help i get from guides and such and reading

posts helps significantly. ty much.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Sir, i really love UR this very much. i hav a prob in game
Experience points 369306
level 22
hitpoint 406
mana 375
1st Sassan told me to get name of Demon from erlking & book shelf but i cnt get all this
both gates r close
2nd i will also gone in orobas Fjords but not further?
in one cave appears 2 open only after three dragan statues seeds of three specific trees r in oro fjords ,but cnt go further

Raze #446086 26/06/11 10:42 AM
A
stranger
stranger
A
Experience points 369306
level 22
hitpoint 406
mana 375
1st Sassan told me to get name of Demon from erlking & book shelf but i cnt get all this
both gates r close
in one cave appears 2 open only after three dragan statues seeds of three specific trees r in oro fjords ,but cnt go further

A
stranger
stranger
A
Experience points 369306
level 22
hitpoint 406
mana 375
both gates r close

Support
Support

Posting 3 times in a row isn't going to get a better or faster response than posting once.

I answered your questions yesterday in the Battle Tower topic. Reply there if you need additional help, or (if needed) to clarify exactly where you are stuck.

There is also a 'New Topic' button at the top left of the index page for each forum, above the list of sticky and regular topics, below the main text menu for the forum.

apprentice
apprentice
Does the info in the first post apply to DII: DKS as well, or just ED? Are there significant differences between the two versions, mechanically speaking?

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard