Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
veteran
veteran

Do you understand the meaning of sarcasm?

Yes? Now what? It magically changes something? No.
And again, do you understand the concept of sarcasm? The review did not say that he does not want to resurrect Ygerna. It simply made sarcastic reference to Damian's lack of understanding as to what is actually going on.

Yes, but the problem is... he is NOT. If he wasn't successful with his plan first - doesn't mean he don't understand what he is doing.
Otherwise (as your point), we have another "stupid evil Sauron" here.
If you're going to criticize a review you'd better understand it. Otherwise, if you don't like it or don't get it, that doesn't mean the review is bad, only that your language or comprehension skills are lacking.

Sorry, but I didn't. I didn't criticize a review, because I see no review here. >_>
We played the game carefully and paid attention to plot and dialogue; these texts represent our evaluation of the game and its story.

Indeed, but you somehow managed to ignore some.

J
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
This is an absurd discussion, and I will not continue it. I'm glad the reviews were interesting and helpful to others; I don't need to waste my time defending them from someone who is incapable of understanding them or the game they refer to, either willfully or due to a lack of language skills.

Jonas Kyratzes - writer, game designer, filmmaker, person with cat
J
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
Actually, one last thing: I just rewatched the final video. Here is the important dialogue:

Damian: Ich habe unaufhörlich darum gekämpft, dich dem Tode zu entreißen. Und nun bist du hier, lebendig und frei, ohne meine Hilfe! Wie nur?
Ygerna: Ich habe einen Lakei ausgebildet. Das kleine Tier hat sich als ungemein treue Seele herausgestellt. Aber das erzähl ich dir später.

Translation:
Damian: I fought incessantly to rescue you from death. And now you are here, alive and free, without my help! How?
Ygerna: I trained a henchman. The little animal turned out to be an incredibly loyal soul. But I'll tell you about that later.

Both Damian's voice and his dialogue clearly express a great deal of surprise at Ygerna being back, and also specifically state that he doesn't know how it happened.

veteran
veteran
You can use "Edit" button to add a new text into already posted message.

Actually, one last thing: I just rewatched the final video. Here is the important dialogue:
Damian: Ich habe unaufhörlich darum gekämpft, dich dem Tode zu entreißen. Und nun bist du hier, lebendig und frei, ohne meine Hilfe! Wie nur?
Ygerna: Ich habe einen Lakei ausgebildet. Das kleine Tier hat sich als ungemein treue Seele herausgestellt. Aber das erzähl ich dir später.

Translation:
Damian: I fought incessantly to rescue you from death. And now you are here, alive and free, without my help! How?
Ygerna: I trained a henchman. The little animal turned out to be an incredibly loyal soul. But I'll tell you about that later.
Both Damian's voice and his dialogue clearly express a great deal of surprise at Ygerna being back, and also specifically state that he doesn't know how it happened.

If you didn't notice - I posted a quote from the game too, just few posts ago:
What he didn't know? He didn't know that he wants to resurrect Ygerna? He didn't know that he asked the "old lizard" (as he calls the Patriarch) to open Hall of Echoes for him? What else he didn't know, tell me.

Here is the original quotes from the end scene with Divine One:
No, Dragon Knight, Ygrena's life is Damian's invincibility as I learned from my accursed son himself. THEY HAVE BEEN QUESTING FOR THE SAME OUTCOME FROM WITHIN THE HALL OF ECHOES AND FROM WITHOUT.
and
Ygrena was the first to triumph.
(But ofc, you're still saying he didn't know about that too - fine, you won, lol)

I don't need to waste my time defending them from someone who is incapable of understanding them or the game they refer to, either willfully or due to a lack of language skills.

Okay. Let's stop here due to my language skills. You won.

J
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
You did not post the same bit of dialogue, you know. What you posted does not contradict what I said; it merely states that both characters were trying to achieve the same goal, i.e. reuniting Damian and Ygerna. It does not say they were trying to achieve it the same way. The quote I posted shows that Damian had no understanding of Ygerna's plan, and did not realize what was going on. That's why he is surprised when she comes back from the dead.

veteran
veteran
It does not say they were trying to achieve it the same way.

Neither am I :P Damian get access to Hall of Echoes gate with protagonist's help but that doesn't mean he planned to resurrect Ygerna as Zandalor/hero did.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by JonasKyratzes
This is an absurd discussion, and I will not continue it. I'm glad the reviews were interesting and helpful to others; I don't need to waste my time defending them from someone who is incapable of understanding them or the game they refer to, either willfully or due to a lack of language skills.

Dont let the trolls get to you, man. All forums of all games are filled with all kind of people, a lot of them can't realy grasp the idea that they might be wrong or there could be a lot of tones of grey besides black and white.

I for one liked your review a lot. Its good to have a proper balance between major review sites and more individual and personal reviews like yours (and your wife). Its up to the reader to filter what information we need to fill the blanks in our expectations.

Thanks again for the reviews and your work on them btw.

J
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
Originally Posted by KnightPT
Originally Posted by JonasKyratzes

Dont let the trolls get to you, man. All forums of all games are filled with all kind of people, a lot of them can't realy grasp the idea that they might be wrong or there could be a lot of tones of grey besides black and white.

I for one liked your review a lot. Its good to have a proper balance between major review sites and more individual and personal reviews like yours (and your wife). Its up to the reader to filter what information we need to fill the blanks in our expectations.

Thanks again for the reviews and your work on them btw.

Thanks for the kind words, and you're absolutely right. This kind of thing is the reason I usually don't hang around forums; I take what I do seriously, and tend to try to defend my point of view in situations when it's really just a waste of time. I should put a sticker above my screen that says "Don't feed the trolls!"

veteran
veteran
[...]A LOT OF THEM CAN'T REALY GRASP THE IDEA THAT THEY MIGHT BE WRONG[...]

You are completely correct, I second that :P
Some people think they just can't be wrong >_>

Originally Posted by Kein
[...]A LOT OF THEM CAN'T REALY GRASP THE IDEA THAT THEY MIGHT BE WRONG[...]

You are completely correct, I second that :P
Some people think they just can't be wrong >_>

Right...OR WRONG...let it go man, geez.

Is reality just a fantasy?