Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
addict
addict
Oh and forgot to mention this: given that the game is prone to all sorts of freezing and crashing at times, may I suggest that some sort of log be created whenever some "abnormal" issues are detected or when the game crashes/locks up?

Support
Support

weight bug and disappearing chests (broken links are fixed in a reply, and the screenshot links re-fixed in another)

Is the camera view 'zoomable'? In Beyond Divinity I couldn't play above 1152x864 because the text size started to get a tad small in higher resolutions. For DD opening the automap would rarely cause a crash in 1152x864 (rare enough I would forget to save first), so I stuck with the maximum supported resolution.

While the Demon of Lies is too easy, I didn't find Josephine that difficult (especially in the wastelands).

There are a couple different spell books that can teach either of a pair of spells.
spellbook heaven's blessing doesn't work / How to recognize spell book ?.

There are several sets of connected containers in the game, not just in the merchant's guild, so I assume that was a shortcut rather than a bug.

Several people have had crashes when getting back their inventory after it is removed (dwarven throne room and bar fight). If they have a recent save usually reloading and dropping excess loot somewhere first avoids the problem, but a couple elected to simply bypass the dwarven guards by killing them with Poison Cloud. If Poison Cloud is 'fixed', then the inventory return procedure should be looked at (if it hasn't already).

Speaking of which, it would be nice if when the inventory is returned, everything went back where it was originally, and if opening the chest in Iona's dungeon replaced everything at once. This isn't a big deal, but if it is an easy change it would save a bit of annoyance for people carrying a lot of loot.

I don't know if this is a bug or a bonus, but with one level in Sword Expertise or Augment Damage (the starting skills for the male warrior), if you save the game and reload you will have level 2 of these skills. This works for other class and gender combinations, as well, but they have to put the first skill point in each skill themselves.

Some people have had trouble getting the password out of the dwarven mayor, though that isn't a big deal as fighting the guardian in the mines is easy and gives more experience than using the password. However, with the dragon breastplate a few people have had trouble getting Grisha to upgrade it, or had trouble getting the quest started with Sir Patrick (generally, talking to the king, Grisha and/or Sir Patrick again several times would be enough to trigger the speech option to continue).

When mixing passive sight bonus skills and equipment skill bonuses, there can be problems with the sight range calculation when the combined skill level is (IIRC) 4 or higher.
A couple recent examples: Dwarven Halls black fog problem.

I don't know how much time there is to look into rarer bugs, but:

Hostile traps / summoned / resurrected creatures

Deoren;

For the person in the GOG topic who avoided Beyond Divinity due to Starforce, the latest (English) patch removes it (don't know what kind of copy protecting the digital download version uses).

Welcome to the forum. wave

F
stranger
stranger
F
Another suggestion, although not game related: sell it also via Steam! I live in South America and is the only way to buy this kind of games. Thanks!!!

A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by Raito
Oh and forgot to mention this: given that the game is prone to all sorts of freezing and crashing at times

? I don't remember that behaviour ... At least not when I was playing it, on my Win98SE machine ...

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by LzK
Well..more quests to wastelands and it would be nice to have oportunity to start the game again and keep the items you had, but enemies are stronger and items they drop are with better quality meh

Like in usual Action-RPGs ? No, thanks. I like div the way it is. wink

--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
old hand
old hand
This sounds really good; my only real complaints with the current game are the graphics (hard to spot items at times due to the way images are textured (I have the same complaint with bg2)). There were some other minor issues; at time it would be nice to slow/speed up combat (but i think this game had that option); and if you add more screen sizes it would be nice if the font size is independent of resolution. Could set text size and resolution independently; but I'm not sure how you all implemented it and it seems like a lot to ask if it takes a big effort.

The one full play I did was on warrior and it seemed not too hard; I started a mage about 2 months ago (and then moved; and put it down). Was going to pick it up but if you are going to redo the graphics (which is my one real complaint with the game); I'd just assume as wait and play when you're done.

Is this a multi-year project or will it be out soon ?

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Divine Divinity is awesome. A couple of bug fixes and widescreen/high resolution support would be great, as would a GOG release!

I'd really like to see this out soon, got an itch to play it.

Go Larian!

The Dude abides.
Support
Support

From the original post I would assume it will be out 'soon' (though that is software development soon, not regular soon). Just for marketing purposes I would think a release around or a bit before the English D2:ED release would be preferable.

stranger
stranger
Hello. I already own Divine Divinity (in a box). Will you release a patch for our boxed versions that brings these improvements? Or will we have to buy the digital download?

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by flixerflax
NPC's and quests in the wastelands.

I've played this game a lot. I still play it. I've adjusted to the skills, the equipment, the balance, the bugs. But the final act is like a different game. It deserves some attention. Use old NPC models, write up some dialogue, whatever it takes. Make it a game worth finishing instead of "oh, I rang the gong," time to quit.

Alrik: by default the sunrise/sunset is inactive but you can turn it back on in the config file. I use it and never had any problems in XP.

This sounds excellent for an improvement in this version.

Can the sunrise/sunset be set somewhere in-game like in the options menu?

A
veteran
veteran
A
Not that I know of.

--Dilbert cartoon

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by Raze

From the original post I would assume it will be out 'soon' (though that is software development soon, not regular soon). Just for marketing purposes I would think a release around or a bit before the English D2:ED release would be preferable.

Thanks! Looking forward to this release; I own the original release of the game, but would love to see it get a little TLC before D2:ED. I've never actually finished it.

The Dude abides.
Support
Support

Can the sunrise/sunset be set somewhere in-game like in the options menu?

The dawn/dusk effect can sometimes be gained/lost by re-installing the game or by installing a patch. There is no in-game option to fix this (you could try re-installing the patch).
Edit the '..\Divine Divinity\Run\config.lcl' file in notepad (or any other text editor), add the line "splotchproblem 0" to the end, hit enter (the game expects the last line to be blank) and save. When you start Divinity and load a save, the dawn/dusk effect should be restored.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Rimmer's Beer should be more distinguisheable (right spelled ?) in the inventory.

I think many people just mixed his beer with other beer, which resulted in getting problems with the acess for the Easter Egg area (if I remember that correctly).

One shouldn't be able to mix Rimmer's Beer with any other beverages.

--Dilbert cartoon

I'd add a vote for a GOG release also - at least use it for a minimum-cost patch for existing DD owners. Please *don't* restrict it to Steam or any other service using online activation since these systems can leave purchasers in the lurch if they shut down (or worse, impose a maintenance fee to keep accounts open).

As for changes, fix the outstanding bugs (the sight range bug mentioned by Raze above is one I particularly remember frown ) and flesh out the Wastelands more (perhaps even provide a way to return to Rivellon for some new quests).

And please remove the disk check as well - legitimate purchasers shouldn't have to rely on third parties for this.

S
stranger
stranger
S
This is a bit of a long list so I apologise, but I had recently come across this thread after I had started playing one of the greatest RPG games again :P So I had to sign up and post my thoughts also I know some of these may already have been suggested but if they have its because I agree with them:

- SDK - I totally agree with having a SDK, I don't know if it would be possible but some of the greatest content can come from the user base and always creates such a great community where people are sharing tips and such and generally improving the game in many different ways.

- Spell bar / Hotkeys - The idea of this is to have something similar to most rpg games, just a bar that has specific keys bound to each block such as the number keys where spells/abilities can just be dragged and dropped making spells a lot easier to access but the problem I saw with this is the UI could get a bit crowded, but if you made a similar way of minimizing the bar (if there is one) as with the current UI it would mean that its always easy to access whilst not being in the way. (The way I visualise this is like not the hotkeys that cast the spell, but they just swap the spells around. For example: I press 1, it allows me to use restoration when I right click, but if I press 2, I'm now able to cast fireballs).

- Compare Item Tool tip - Just a little tool tip when you highlight an item so you can compare it with what your currently using.

- Multiplayer support (or at the very least, LAN) - Not a necessity but I liked the idea of taking on the story with friends and having to bail them out all the time (come on, we all feel were the greatest when were playing, having downed a mob that was giving you trouble :P).

- Pin windows - There has been many times where I've accidentally moved the minimap so it would be handing if there was a way to pin it to the UI so it can't be moved until you un-pin it.

- Continue at the end - I know that all great stories generally must come to an end, but it would have been nice to then just be able to explore with your original abilities, find those items that you wanted, or just play around as a frog. :P

- Auto pickup of teleport stone - Not really sure how this could be implemented, but there has been loads of times where I've accidentally walked off without my stone only to have to go find it. xD

- Further camera angle - Not really something I want but on occasions its nice to see a bit more of where your going.

- Scroll map - On the main map it would be nice for the mouse wheel to be able to zoom the map instead of having to press the buttons.

- Windowed Mode - Pretty self explanatory. :P

--BUGS--

- The way the skeletons are summoned - I'm not sure if this is a bug but when you spawn skeleton, there is the odd times where you want to summon them again just a little further as there may be some mobs there, and if you are able to spawn more than one it will generally just destroy and re-summon the latest skeleton as opposed to destroying them in the order they were made.

And finally! (Sorry for the very long post xD)

- Weight difference - In the last floor of the catacombs during the first part of the game (Freeing Mardanius) there is a few chests dotted around the outside of the center story part, and when they are open instead of being 600 units of weight they drop to 0.

Anyways thanks to whoever reads this post as I know its probably taken some time to read :P So these are my suggestions, oh and before I forget, GOG.com is a very good suggestion for distribution laugh You have no idea how much I'm looking forward to this re-release :P

Last edited by smegy; 03/10/09 03:11 PM. Reason: Added a couple more + changed layout a bit.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
Oh and forgot to mention this: given that the game is prone to all sorts of freezing and crashing at times

? I don't remember that behaviour ... At least not when I was playing it, on my Win98SE machine ...

Well for some reason... the game does that sometimes on my P4 3.2 ghz machine. It's a random effect, too.

Oh and "Embrace shadows" seems to have some problems. Sometimes when I use it, my character disappears and I can't even see him even after I move into areas with light. And yes, the enemies can see him too.

And ah right, I wish this game was better at protecting quest items.

Last edited by Raito; 03/10/09 07:21 AM.
old hand
old hand
Is it possible that your machine does not have enough memory (i.e, does the disk light go on when it freeze ) ?

if this is the case it is using virtual memory. Btw the game never froze on me and I had an early version from way back - my biggest complaint back then and now were with the graphics. Most of the other issues are just minor tweaks.

Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer

Well for some reason... the game does that sometimes on my P4 3.2 ghz machine. It's a random effect, too.

Oh and "Embrace shadows" seems to have some problems. Sometimes when I use it, my character disappears and I can't even see him even after I move into areas with light. And yes, the enemies can see him too.

And ah right, I wish this game was better at protecting quest items.

Support
Support

There are already hotkeys to switch between skills in DD, though unless you do some manual file editing it is limited to the function keys.

An extra column in the stat window, or tooltip description, would make it easier to compare new stuff with your current equipment.

If Larian wants to leave the ending of the game at least somewhat open, they can not really allow playing after defeating the Demon of Lies. I suppose they could let Zandalor teleport you back and forth between the wastelands and Council Hall, but there would at the very least need to be dialog changes with many NPCs to reflect the increase in Black Ring activity (I don't recall if anything was mentioned specifically about how much time had past, or what had happened to areas in Rivellon that you had access to).

You can hold the shift key down to move the screen focus away from your character. DD is a 2D game, so it is not possible to change the camera angle.

A
veteran
veteran
A

Has it ever occurred to you that your machine might be too fast ?

I wonder.

--Dilbert cartoon

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard