Print Thread
Z
Zaypher Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Z
Dear all,
before i begin, i would like to share how i feel about this game. I picked this game up few days ago and im amazed by this game. Previously, i used to play Diablo II and i can say confidently that this game is more fun than DIablo in terms of quest, adventure and a whole RPG experience. Thank you so much larian.

I have a few questions, they are as follows:-
a) What is the use of gem in this game? ie. ruby, emerald?
b) why the town dog keeps attacking me? i never harm any friendly animals (maybe my scorpion)
c) how to level up if monsters don't respawn?

Thank you

Support
Support

Gems are pretty much just useful for trading (low weight, high value). A couple people have placed them around their home base for ambient lighting at night.

I think dogs can turn hostile if you attack a wolf nearby. Also, there is a dog in a hotel room at a certain point in the game, which will attack you regardless if you enter the room, causing other dogs to turn hostile if you defend yourself (don't know if running away will avoid that).

There are plenty of opponents to level up with, as well as completing quests, and most of the game you have a fair amount of freedom with what you want to do. If you need to level up (or check for better equipment), with a few exceptions you should be able to go do something else for awhile, and then return to the point you were having trouble with.

If you resurrect a group of opponents (or one strong one) then run or teleport away, they will turn hostile and you can return to kill them again for more experience and/or loot. This can get boring fast, though, unless you just resurrect and leave them for the next time you happen by (say with groups of lizard men in the Dark Forest, who have a small chance of dropping gold charms). I played with this a bit in Iona's dungeon, with a guardian by the teleporter pad (that always dropped something half decent when killed). Mostly I just used this technique to make sure I went up a level before getting a level bonus (there are a couple in the game), to maximize the experience points received. I maxed Resurrect with purchased spell books.

The Wisdom skill will also give you a bit of extra experience: Wisdom - is it worth the skill points?

Completing quests gives more experience at higher character levels, so within reason you may wish to explore and clear opponents first, before finishing quests. You don't want to forget about main plot quests, though, or end up with so many open quests you don't know where to start.

Opponents give more experience if they are at a higher level, and less if they are lower. This can be used to level faster, but when you do get back to taking out the weaker opponents, you may get little or no experience.
Without leaving Aleroth, you can reach level 4 before you enter the catacombs.
Explore / loot around Aleroth and kill any rats, chickens or cows that you want (50 exp on level 1, plus meat which heals a small amount), but you may want to delay completing any quests. At level 1, if you defeat the zombie Jake (the graveyard would be easiest), you will get enough experience points to bring you up to level 3. This requires a lot of hit and run with a bow, or a moderate amount using Meteorstrike. Defeat him a second time (in his cellar) and you get to level 4.

Welcome to the forum. wave

Z
Zaypher Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Z
Hey Raze sir, thank you so much for your warm hospitality and your reply.
I reckon that gems are only for trading but don't dare to sell it and regret it later. Well thanks for the pointer, placing gems around the house is an ingenious way to customize one's house. Hehe

Dog will turn hostile if i attack nearby wolf? oooh that could be it. Those dang wolves attack me first and i have no choice but to slash it and eat its meat laugh
Anw, i have to kill dogs too because they are chasing after me now.

Btw, normally, how many levels can one get to?

Support
Support

By the end of the game, most people reach a character level in the mid forties to low fifties, if they explore everywhere and do the majority of the sidequests. Even doing everything, maxing Wisdom, resurrecting a bit and delaying taking the level bonuses (to maximize the experience points gained), it would be difficult to get higher than level 53.

In a game trying for the lowest possible character level finish, Ariana was level 17 at the start of the wastelands (about 90% through the game). This involved a great deal of saving and reloading to get through the required fights, so she quit at that point.

Z
Zaypher Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Z
icic thanks raze. btw i resurrected the 3 assassins that Dr Elrath sent. They don't seem to be attackable. Anw, thanks for the resurrecting tip. I quickload so many times to be able to purchase it. Nxt time i'll make a point to resurrect every area i clear laugh

Support
Support

Actually, I should have mentioned that resurrecting NPCs involved in cutscenes can cause problems: Hostile traps / summoned / resurrected creatures.

BTW, I found Kistandalius (or less often Blake) in Ars Magicana and Corinna (or less often Mpenzak) in Verdistis to be the best sources for purchasing spell books, though most NPCs have a chance of carrying one.

Z
Zaypher Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Z
you r right raze, that kistandalius is the best. i purchased from him too. btw raze, u mentioned about killing chickens / livestocks in aleroth. will they respawn?

Support
Support

No, there is no respawn, even for chickens and rabbits.
However, they will not be worth any experience after you level a bit, and there is plenty of other meat in the game (I had a chest full of meat, since it wasn't very effective for healing after the beginning of the game, compared to potions, but I didn't want to throw it out).

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
I had no idea that there was a zombie in Aleroth. This is news to me. How do you find this zombie?

Support
Support

In the small graveyard in northern Aleroth read the tombstones. Jake's tombstone specifically requests no flowers, especially not from his wife. His wife's grave has a pot of flowers on it... Move the flowers over to Jake's grave and he will appear (in a rather grumpy mood).
The other place you can find him in Aleroth is in the cellar of his house, just south of the graveyard. There is a large pile of crates or packages concealing the hatch.

Once you defeat Jake outside of Aleroth, he will be gone for good.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Jake pops up again when he comes to kidnap Elora. Jake mentions something about taking Elora back to the graves. I am guessing that the zombie is refering to the graves in Aleroth. Would I be correct?

Support
Support

No; there is a grave you can enter further in where Elora was taken. Save before entering, though (once you enter the grave, saving is disabled until you rescue her, though it is a relatively small area).

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard