Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#390457 01/11/09 06:54 PM
sartek Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I've got the feeling that my pc has trouble running divinity 2 while it shouldn't.
At the moment i'm running the game on medium settings but i think my pc should be able to run it at higher settings.

my pc: 2.33GHz quad core, 3gig ram, nvidia geforce 9800 gt (2 of them), plenty of free hd space too.

think i listed the important specs now. Am i expecting to much of my system or could there be something wrong preventing me from playing the game at a higher quality?

as soon as i turn the texture quality to high from medium (rest of the settings still on medium) the game starts to lag heavily. frown

kinda hoping i'm just expecting to much of my pc laugh

sartek #390461 01/11/09 07:33 PM
addict
addict
I think you need to clean your computer
1 year ago I couldn"t play Diablo 2 on high settings
After they clean my computer from viruses,errors and many other crap it work perfectly

ENGLISH GRAMMAR IS MY WEAK SIDE
veteran
veteran
AFAIK, the game has bad support for X-fire/SLI. Try to disable SLI.

Kein #390470 01/11/09 09:46 PM
apprentice
apprentice
I have a similar issue, the performance difference between Medium and High is enormous.
On Medium I have a VERY stable FPS of 55-60 (almost always stuck on 60, capped with v-sync, it rarely ever drops to 55), while on High it goes from 20 up to max 35, while most of the time it's around 25.

My hardware: AMD Phenom 2.6GHz Quadcore, 4GB RAM, ATI HD4870 1GB GDDR5.

I think it's because of my CPU though, I'm pretty sure my FPS will become alot higher and more stable on High if I just replace my CPU by a 3.0GHz or more.
So to the OP: I think the mainissue is your CPU, since the game most likely won't fully benifit from a Quadcore anyways, so even a 3.0GHz Dualcore would give you a way better performance (I'm not 100% sure though, just my guess, because games like this are usually very CPU intensive).

Genky #390472 01/11/09 11:06 PM
sartek Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
i'll try disabling SLI for divinity 2 then.
i'll report back if it got better: )

sartek #390475 01/11/09 11:23 PM
sartek Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
ok so i just disabled SLI and tried the game in high and extreme settings.
high runs fine but extreme is lagging as bad as high was with SLI enabled, high is working smooth without SLI though.

i don't suppose SLI support will be added in a patch, since it's pretty much a complete rewrite, right? or am i misinformed? laugh

sartek #390487 02/11/09 08:41 AM
veteran
veteran
No, AFAIK. Master version is done alerady and it's very unlikely there will be further patches.
But ofc, knowing Larian and the fact how they supports DD - who knows... :P

sartek #390505 02/11/09 10:41 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by sartek
high runs fine but extreme is lagging

I don't know if anyone with a "normal" pc nowadays can pull off extreme. It requires the very latest processor technology, so it's more about raw speed (e.g. Intel i7 proc running at very high speed). I know you have a quad core, but combined power does not work in this case. (Technically we're rendering all trees as meshes in extreme. In other settings, we're lodding the trees, so if they're too far off, you see billboards which don't require too many drawcalls.)

So it's not even about GPU, it's CPU smile

Tweeting @forktong
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by ForkTong
I don't know if anyone with a "normal" pc nowadays can pull off extreme. It requires the very latest processor technology, so it's more about raw speed (e.g. Intel i7 proc running at very high speed). I know you have a quad core, but combined power does not work in this case. (Technically we're rendering all trees as meshes in extreme. In other settings, we're lodding the trees, so if they're too far off, you see billboards which don't require too many drawcalls.)

So it's not even about GPU, it's CPU smile

This is exactly what I was trying to imply with my post, since games like this usually are very CPU intensive and there are barely any games out there which benifit from a Quadcore, even Dualcore support is still pretty rare (though it's appearing alot more frequently these days).

Genky #390516 02/11/09 12:47 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
So a new CPU is better than a new graphics card ?

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer

That depends, if you have a video card around the gen of Nvidia 8800 or better or an ATI HD3000-4000 series or better (with more than 512mb VRAM) and a CPU with less than 2.6GHz (talking about dualcore in this case, stock speed), you're indeed better off getting a new CPU than a new GPU for this kind of games.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by sartek
high runs fine but extreme is lagging

I know you have a quad core

Just for some statistic:
Well, I have C2Q too (Q9450), and game runs pretty flawlessly on Extreme settings. Mostly 50FPS, just sometimes 30.

Kein #390599 03/11/09 11:55 AM
old hand
old hand
Q9450 is 2.66 GHz, may be newer/faster than OP's proc. It's not just CPU speed, it's the entire architecture around it. E.g. your 9450 has a bus speed of 1333MHz, the 6000 series is lower than that. It's these little things that can often make a huge difference. If it's not that, might even be file fragmentation or programs running in the background or driver versions, etc.

Genky: you're right, but I'd still recommend higher GPU's than nVidia 8 series and ATi HD3000 series.

Tweeting @forktong
Genky #390614 03/11/09 02:33 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by Genky

That depends, if you have a video card around the gen of Nvidia 8800 or better or an ATI HD3000-4000 series or better (with more than 512mb VRAM) and a CPU with less than 2.6GHz (talking about dualcore in this case, stock speed), you're indeed better off getting a new CPU than a new GPU for this kind of games.

In my case it's an 8600 GT with 256 MB RAM, plus an ...

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz

I fear that's no wonder my game playes so slow ...

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
apprentice
apprentice
In my case it's an 8600 GT with 256 MB RAM

Well, just to be honest: I'm not very technical about hardware and stuff, but these are just my own experiences, etc. and for games of this generation, 512MB VRAM has become a minimum if you want to be able to run the games at a decent FPS.

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz

Your CPU isn't that bad, but you have to remember, what me and ForkTong mentoined, that games like this are very CPU intensive and will more likely require a higher-end CPU than a GPU (though doesn't mean a good GPU isn't recommended too), you could (at own risk, only if you actually know what you're doing, this could kill your CPU if done wrong) overclock your CPU to see if it improves your FPS at all.

In your case I personally think you would benefit more from a GPU upgrade than a CPU upgrade (at least, if you manage to overclock your CPU a bit so you can get it on par).

Ofcourse, all the things I'm saying are just recommendations, I don't know what you can afford and stuff, but with your current hardware I'm afraid you'll have alot of trouble running this game properly, if you can run it at all.

Genky: you're right, but I'd still recommend higher GPU's than nVidia 8 series and ATi HD3000 series.

Those 2 gens were the very minimum that I recommended, since those were kinda the first 'real' high-end GPU's back in the time when they were still new.

EDIT:
Oh and a question from me to you ForkTong:
Do you think I would get a major improvement if I upgrade from my current CPU, an AMD Phenom 2.2GHz (OCed @ 2.6GHz), the weakest type of X4 Phenom, to a Phenom II 3.4GHz (stock speed, will probably OC to to around 3.9), with my other hardware being 4GB DDR2 RAM and an ATI HD4870 1GB GDDR5?
Since right now I'm running on Medium with a rocksolid FPS of 60 (almost) all the time, though once I change the settings to High it drops all the way to 25-35.
Because I was going to upgrade to that with Christmas.

veteran
veteran
It's not just CPU speed, it's the entire architecture around it.

Yeh, I know. Also, it has support for SSE4.

or driver versions, etc.

btw, talking about a driver version: I still recommend 182.50 for NV users. No such sluttering as on 19x.

Genky #390654 03/11/09 07:25 PM
W
stranger
stranger
W
Hi

I also have big performance problems with game. I've installed game on three different machines:
1. C2D E8200 2.66, GF 8800GT, RAM 4GB, Vista 64bit,
2. C2D P8600 2,4, ATI 3650, RAM 4GB, Vista 32bit,
3. C2D E8500 3.16, GF GTX285, RAM 8GB, Vista 32bit,
and on all of them game was almost impossible to play because of lagging. But these are not graphical lags because when I was measuring it was about 40-60 FPS all the time.
First I thought that it is my machine(1) fault but the same problem was on two other. I've checked all possible graphics settings configuration. I've also read topic about performance problems in German section of this forum. I've tried all tips from there (installing in default location, setting process priority to high and of course newest graphical drivers) and I've even defragmented my HDD and made general system cleanup. No changes... it impossible to play because of lags. These lags are especially intensive when leaving or approaching bulding.
I can add that I have polish language version and game shows that this is v1.015.82.
While looking for solution I've noticed that many people have these performance problems with polish version and they claim that when they earlier played german version performance was ok.

Looking for any suggestions (or patch which will fix this?).

wuit #390658 03/11/09 07:35 PM
apprentice
apprentice
wuit, I have no clue what 'lag' you're talking about, your 3rd computer is better than mine and I never experienced anything similar to what you describe, could you be more specific or show us a screenshot/video where we can see what exactly you're talking about?

Genky #390681 03/11/09 09:44 PM
W
stranger
stranger
W
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tre-mV0DFA

Hope that quality is good enough to see how the game is lagging. While recording this movie Fraps was showing 25-35 FPS (it was recorded on the first machine mentioned in my previous post).

wuit #390685 03/11/09 11:44 PM
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by wuit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tre-mV0DFA

Hope that quality is good enough to see how the game is lagging. While recording this movie Fraps was showing 25-35 FPS (it was recorded on the first machine mentioned in my previous post).

You mean the 'shocking/jumping/stuttering' of the screen right?
Are you sure you got the latest version of both your Nvidia and DirectX drivers?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard