Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
enthusiast
enthusiast
If that's clearer for you, you can explain what you meant in Dutch (via PM) wink

Sure, I don't speak about mathematics when telling "internal logic." I would give an extreme example; Terry Pratchett's Disc World literally cocks a snook at logics, yet the writer keeps in mind his own rules and respect it most of time. He breaks sometimes these rules, but he justifies it each time or almost. So, when a young witch try to make something to appear from nowhere in Equal Rites, which is normally impossible, she succeed because, according to Pratchett, "the best way to realize something impossible is to know not that's impossible." Don't know if I'm clear, I didn't read that book in English.

Well, you can't ask the same logic attention to a video game, because the loot and skill system creates some illogical situations. Furthermore, when a book is the product of one author (sometimes more for the four-handed books), a game game like D2:ED asks a lot of dialogs and scenarii, that supposes several so that's easier to make a plot mistake by forgetting or ignoring that someone wrote the opposite in another part of the game. I do agree there is something strange about Sassan resurrection; how can a simple ring undo what a knife did? Why isn't it so easy to resurrect Ygerna?

That didn't prevent me from enjoying the whole plot, sure. I would say that's the only big plot hole (I found my own explaination for the others, thought not everyone would agree).

Dr. Seringue (don't know his English name)'s presence in the Lovis Tower is a mystery. You don't know what happened to him during the Broken Valley attack, so you can't tell if it's logic or not. That made me remember about the comment about mental resistance in DD; "Even the Lord of Chaos couldn't read your mind." I guess the mental resistance bonus of his hat was just under that limit and Damian got mad :hihi:

"The Frenglais does déjà exist. Many gens are parling this langue" Barta
A
stranger
stranger
A
Yeah, no replay value with just one ending. I particularly favored the idea of going up against Damian, incinerating his main fortress, finding him, chopping his body into several pieces, saving a bone to clean my dragon teeth, then scatter the rest across the world in exquisite draconian architecture. It's just sad the main character was so weak minded... so much for draconian foresight. Leaves too much to be desired... then again, if that beloved of his was so weak to die by a blade and still be able to communicate across dimensions you should be able to do the same and pay them tenfold in the most painful of ways.

veteran
veteran
@scalla:
to be honest, you're right: the storyline isn't that good ... and the ending ...?? Bad thing ... frown

And so "Athell" says: I wish to kill Damian too grin ...

And more on:
When the video clip started from the end of the game I could not believe that this really was the end! I thought the whole time (and hoped!) that this was not the end would be!

WHY can't I go back in the game after entering the Hall of Echoes??? frown

But I still find it a great game, except the final end.

Last edited by Joram; 04/01/10 03:19 PM.

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
enthusiast
enthusiast
Actually, I like the end because that's not the one you would expect. The easiest way to finish the game for Larian would be the succeed of the hero, but they didn't and I think that's a good thing. That made me to think about the whole plot and what should have made the DK aware of his mistakes. About Talana that wasn't a ghost but was speaking to us throught death. About how she was in a hurry. She was so sarcastic in her coments... but at the same time, she congratulates him and allays suspicion.

There are a lot of lies in the game, just think about Lord Lovis or the mission in the "well" in the Orobas Fjord village whose I forgot the name. I wonder what was the purpose of the real Talana, or who knew and didn't tell you what a big mistake you are doing (most important: why?). That's all that questions that gives its savour to the end. A kind of open end, but that's only my opinion.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Disapointment
Spiller. The ending really frustrating me. What was the reason of making such an ending?

We can only hope for an expansion pack, the game was awesome tho maybe a bit to easy exept the last battle. was a minute there i thought zandalar and the divine had unlimited mana or something smile

apprentice
apprentice
When i was killing Zandalar, i tought he would teleport away/beg for mercy/start a conversation, etc.
But there wasnt so i killed him and then i got that ending :O
Loved the game, was suprised by the ending, and yea there just has to be an expension of some sort.

Also i was thinking that again, the dragon knights will get a bad reputation. (helping damian and Ygerna that'll destroy the world is not exactly what i fought for)
Not to mention being forever trapped in a crystal that's floating in nothingness :P

Anyway im quite sure there will be a followup of this game.
If they make a nice exciting trailer on how you manage to escape your prison and deal with Damian and his witch after all, it can bring in some nice $$$ for Larian. Smart...

-------
You don't know what you got, Till it's gone.
-------
N
stranger
stranger
N
I hated the ending. I wish there was an option to continue through the game and kill Damian.

old hand
old hand
The ending is still consider acceptable to me. I dont really like where every time your hero kill the bsdass and save the entire world again. Since the plot been planted like this, I do hope the dev will be able to release an expansion asap, else people will start forget bout the game.

veteran
veteran
For me it is NOT necessary to kill Damian and be a great hero, but I love to be a hero too :hihi: ... and also a unexpect end is okay for me ...
Hopefully Larian make a great great follow-up!! laugh laugh

But there are many (for me) frustrated things:

* I am very sorry that you can not return to Farglow after you're in Brocken Valley and not return to the Fjords Orobas after entering the Hall of Echoes!

* And that there is so little to do in the city of Aleroth! frown

* the alchemy-skill I found much more fun in DD, also repair weapons be missing in D II ... and the skill "known creature" ... smirk
I find there're much fun skills in D II, but for me, in DD much more fun I have had with the skills!

* And that NPC Zandalor I find it a boring character! In DD Zandalor was much fun/better and have also a much better voice in DD!!! Many NPC's I found better in DD comparing with D II: ED!

I have a lot more sense to play again DD or BD than play D 2 over again, even though I have so many times replayed DD! grin

Sorry Larian, though I am a big fan of your games, D 2 disappoint me a little bit to much! frown frown

Conclusion:
personally I prefer Divine Divinity and find that game the best game Larian ever makes!
For me D3-dimensional or the last new graphically-technology isn't the most important thing in a game (but I also understand Larian make NO chance with a new D2-dimensionally game anno 2009/2010!! Gamers expect games with high graphical technology and so on!)
I love the gameplay and replayability of a game and for me DD has a great replayability, also after all these years!! grin

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
its not like ending is bad is just stupid

ok i cannot kill amian and its fine but why a hell u find out that whole game was totally in vain ?
also u rly dont want to play it again cuz u know your dragon voice guide is not a dragon at all and is destroy whole playability expecially when mos choices u make in game are palladine alike
it was be good half game breake true but ending ?? no and game is y to short compare it to any modern rpg DAO i end in 5-6 days
d2 i end in 2 days 2 x 12 hours of play and i finish 90% of quests is MUCH to short its looks like larian got already finished addon they just cut game in half and will realase socond part as addon and im fine with that just do that asap

the game world is smaller than gothic 2 world frown is rly rly rly small game got potential but propably short time to realase make it so , larian want compare to aoc but was bad choice aoc is much better IMHO

there is plenty posibilities in game that u will nevr use many skills that in so short game are useless

Last edited by marcusdavidus; 07/01/10 02:11 PM.

veteran
veteran
What I found the most frustrating thing is that I can't go back after entering the Hall of Echoes!!

On that moment I asked by myself following question:

Did Larian nothing learn from their fans?
How many people where frustrated about they don't go back after entering the Wastelands in Divine Divinity!! Many gamers, I think!
Why do they over again something like that? And more worse: nothing more than kill bosses and a final battle... 1 hour I played at least from beginning of the Hall of Echoes to the final end ...

But WHY set some UNFREE element back when they known fans are frastrated about that? Also why I can't back to Farglow? For me it is okay I can back to Farglow after do a quest so the Zeppelin can go ...
My second frustrating is Aleroth:
is it realy realy only that long battle together with that wizard Zandalor that I can do in Aleroth (except trading with 2 or 3 NPC's and speak with all that noisy people) ?
I was hoping to explore much more area in Aleroth! For me Aleroth was a great disappointment! frown frown

Maybe I expect to much from D II??
For me, Divine Divinity is a great great RPG, the greatest I ever played!!!

Last edited by Joram; 07/01/10 04:33 PM.

stranger
stranger
oh and is there any way to enter the rivertown george? i always end up in kali's flying fortress

veteran
veteran
Very good question!!
I search for long time how to enter Rivertown Gorge!! I always transported to Kali's Fortress!! The two ports on the map stays so close to each other ... sorry, I can't find a solution to go to Rivertown Gorge... IF it is a existing area??

And why it is not the same as if I wish to go to Brocken Valley (like a dragon): on that case a mirror asks me: "Do you wish to go to Brocken Valley"... (Yes - No) : that's much more clearer and much less frustrating!

Please, who can explain us this? Exist Rivertown Gorge??

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
Originally Posted by scalla
Actually, I like the end because that's not the one you would expect.
This doesn't seem like enough justification to me for pulling a Twist Ending out of left field. And let's be perfectly clear on this - there is no foreshadowing whatsoever that leads up to the twist. That's a necessity to make it believable - there has to be something to look back upon and say "yeah, this makes sense," without having to invoke any sort of Fridge Logic to explain it away. What we've instead been dealt is a Shocking Swerve ending, a Twist Ending thrown in at the end simply for the sake of having one, which drags the whole thing into Wall Banger territory.

That made me to think about the whole plot and what should have made the DK aware of his mistakes. About Talana that wasn't a ghost but was speaking to us throught death. About how she was in a hurry. She was so sarcastic in her coments... but at the same time, she congratulates him and allays suspicion.

That's Fridge Logic for ya, but even then it doesn't work, cuz there's no prior indication that who we're hearing isn't Talana. Even the Big Bad doesn't see it coming, he's as stunned as we are.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Honestly, English isn't my mother language and I don't understand what you mean with your fridge logic & cie O___o anyway, I agree about Aleroth; I would have wanted to help to clean the area, and save the citizens, and meet people you already cross earlier in the game,... I was very disapointed when discovering how little was the only city.

About Rivertown, if you ask the question to Kali before the fight, she tells they destroyed the way.

B
stranger
stranger
B
dragon age isnt a bioware game though its based off the games bioware made

old hand
old hand
Dragon Age isn't a BioWare game? eek

B
stranger
stranger
B
nevermind my b ad it is i was thinkin g of EA games changed it . itsx on dragon age was thinking of mass effect

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
Honestly, English isn't my mother language and I don't understand what you mean with your fridge logic & cie O___o

That's why I linked it. They're all links to various entries of the TV Tropes Wiki, so that my usage of those terms doesn't confuse anyone.

About Rivertown, if you ask the question to Kali before the fight, she tells they destroyed the way.

Which makes no sense when you bear in mind that she's speaking to someone who can simply fly over the destroyed path. Unless Rivertown itself was destroyed. Insurmountable Waist Height Fence, anyone?

old hand
old hand
The ending of Div 2 is spot on, since it follows perfectly the endings of the previous Divinity games: half-baked & extremely unsatisfying.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard