Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
stubbie Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I just finished DA:O (which was very good) and thought I would try this game.
After all I loved Divine Divinity when it was released.

But I am very disappointed after playing for 6 hours.
My reasons:

*Where is the fog of war? I don't want to enter a dungeon and see the whole map. Nor do I want to see the whole area map. Without a fog of war it is too difficult to know where you have and havent been.
*Merchants are not shown on any map.
*When you are in combat mode and paused you cannot rotate the camera. How am I supposed to setup my next attack without knowing what is behind me?
*No option to highlight all the openable chests in a room. You have to mouse over everything. That is just boring.
*Twice I have jumped off some stairs into a corner and have not been able to get out. Only choice was to load a previous save.
*one time in a dungeon I accidentally hit a pot that rolled into the middle of the passageway. I could not break it or jump over it. Once again I had to load an old save.
*It is frustrating to explore in this game. Small items on the floor (such as a tea cup) can stop you from walking. In fact you cannot even jump over them. Your have to take two steps sideways to go around it.
*No enemies show up on the mini map.
*The mini map doesn't show blocked paths in dungeons. They appear as being unblocked.
*Only 8 hotkeys for items and skills
*The npc's talk as though they are constantly avoiding being hit by kamikaze mosquitoes, waving their hands around and constantly ducking. Gets irritating after the first 5 minutes and doesn't help to immerse you into the game.
*The quest system is lacking on destination points. While some quests will show you where to go to progress, the majority do not. Admittedly DA:O also suffered from this though to a lesser degree. I just find the lack of quest destination points very frustrating.
*I find the camera a real horror to use. Your zoom depends on the angle you are from your avatar. You cannot zoom out from just any angle. Perhaps I am more used to an isometric option in the camera control so I guess that's more of a personal preference.

So there you go. I am not impressed with Ego Draconis and those were some of my reasons.
I will give the game a bit more playing time because I want my moneys worth.
But I think that Larian got this one wrong.

old hand
old hand
I find some of reasons invalid.
The map ones mostly, it seems you want to make it as user friendly as possible.
What do you mean you can't rotate the Tatical Pause Camera, I'm very sure you can.

Support
Support

*The npc's talk as though they are constantly avoiding being hit by kamikaze mosquitoes

That really stuck out in some of the gameplay videos. I can see wanting some flourish, so NPCs don't look like statues, but used constantly it is a little much. I don't think it would seriously detract from the overall game for me, but I'd certainly tone it down if that was an option.

*The quest system is lacking on destination points.

Do you mean many quests lack any kind of logical hints on where to go or who/what to look out for, so you basically explore everywhere and sometimes just come upon a quest solution?
Or is there some direction given, but not detailed enough?

D
stranger
stranger
D
Well, this is "just" a personal opinion, no need to make a new topic for that, you might have posted it in the other topic that is already there (better than DOA, or another, I'm sure there 's more).

I am playing being harassed by the loading bug on certain occasions, and still I very much love the game, eventhough my gpu's are cooking sometimes and my cpu can barely handle it also ^^.

Looks to me you are more for a game that plays for you instead of you playing the game. I'm happy I actually have to remember some stuff myself instead of just clicking in some history shizzles n stuff(there is a history but don't think it remembers more than x amount of convo). And remember where I went. Also portals and doors and other important enough stuff is displayed on your map/minimap, use markers to help you if you have memory issues.
And to me the small quest descriptions were always enough to know where to go, sometimes it requires a bit exploring but hey, this is an rpg, right?
Actually I more like to see where I can go than just where I already have been, in DD first I did was clear the map of fog, where I could (and kill everything I encountered).

Never used camera rotation during pause, might make it easier but you can target everything visible (and close enough), also what is behind you and visible. Else just go out of pause for a bit and rotate.
Might be there is an option to rotate camera in pause, but I don't rly care. I try to use pause as little as possible anyway.

Never had issues with jumping over pots and candles and... might be a bug => report? There are a million things that can go wrong in a game, no game is bug free, especially not free open games where you can smash things n move things around and jump and fly around...

Imho you just want it all way too easy, and are bitching about stuff you can bitch about in any game. Watch a fantasy movie? smile

If you are impatient on looting, just start smashing everything possible then, it's fun ^^. Everything that is not smashable (can't smash with a bow though :o, exploding arrows perhaps, think I've seen it happen with enemy) you can see if you opened it already or not...

Also, you can get stuck in any game... only had it once (was smart enough to swim inside a ship wreck, lf quest gem!), but I used dragon teleport and then another teleport to get out. Sometimes the game starts loading if you are stuck and puts you on a free spot you were before (although that causes my game to have infinite loading, only had it twice luckily, and wasn't rly stuck, just trying to get through some narrow thingie xd)

Also never noticed anything irritating about the npc's, only funny things.

For the rest, red dots show up on your radar/minimap when enemies come/are in the vicinity, same for friendly npc in green (might turn red after cinematic/convo though ^^).

BTW, this was basically the same for DD... no? Can't remember any npc marked on map in DD :o.
Naja, playing DD teached me how to play rpg like this, use markers on map well, and explore, and save often, hehe.
The game is made like this for a reason, it's not a neglect or glitch, if you don't like it, your opinion. Strange though you liked DD then o0.

The only thing I concur is the minimap/map could use some more detail regarding blocked/unblocked. But that is only a minor issue, and it probably is just a personal opinion, not gameplay neccesity/huge game experience improvement/bug.

And as last, if you rly need more than 8 stuff to fight, there is always pause => press i for inventory => use pots, all that can come together at once. To play most efficiently you pause the game anyway swapping gear at start of the battle. Can't imagine you use more than 8 different skills o0, all the rest is doable with pause => open interface(i), or even pause=>click the available skill button.

PS. it's awesome playing a dragon ^^.

Last edited by Draci; 05/12/09 11:24 AM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by stubbie
*Where is the fog of war? I don't want to enter a dungeon and see the whole map. Nor do I want to see the whole area map. Without a fog of war it is too difficult to know where you have and havent been.

Do not agree: you have a real map. That's all.

You can easly place markers on any keypoint of every map and you can also write a brief text for each set marker.

*When you are in combat mode and paused you cannot rotate the camera. How am I supposed to setup my next attack without knowing what is behind me?

Agree.

*No option to highlight all the openable chests in a room. You have to mouse over everything. That is just boring.

Do not agree. Almost every chest/basket etc, can be manually highlighted and opened, a nice feature that in my personal opinion increase the exploration.

*Twice I have jumped off some stairs into a corner and have not been able to get out. Only choice was to load a previous save.

Never had such an problem.

*one time in a dungeon I accidentally hit a pot that rolled into the middle of the passageway. I could not break it or jump over it. Once again I had to load an old save.

Never had such a problem.

*It is frustrating to explore in this game. Small items on the floor (such as a tea cup) can stop you from walking. In fact you cannot even jump over them. Your have to take two steps sideways to go around it.

Never had such a problem.

That's perfect. More realism.

*The mini map doesn't show blocked paths in dungeons. They appear as being unblocked.

Agree.

*Only 8 hotkeys for items and skills

Agree

*The npc's talk as though they are constantly avoiding being hit by kamikaze mosquitoes, waving their hands around and constantly ducking. Gets irritating after the first 5 minutes and doesn't help to immerse you into the game.

Do not agree. The animation system for the dialogues is good, I consider the Witcher far less optimized on this, while DO:A more advanced.

*The quest system is lacking on destination points. While some quests will show you where to go to progress, the majority do not. Admittedly DA:O also suffered from this though to a lesser degree. I just find the lack of quest destination points very frustrating.

I prefer the Divinity II system. Definetly.

*I find the camera a real horror to use. Your zoom depends on the angle you are from your avatar. You cannot zoom out from just any angle. Perhaps I am more used to an isometric option in the camera control so I guess that's more of a personal preference.

The camera is just fine for me. The only thing I miss is the possibility to block an angle, as you can do in Risen.

veteran
veteran
So there you go. I am not impressed with Ego Draconis and those were some of my reasons.

Thank you, oh thank you for telling us!

Just one question: why don't post it there instead of making another junk thread? Why do you guys loves a dump-like forums so much?
Meh...

K
stranger
stranger
K
There's only 2 points that I feel strongly about and they're :-

1. A fog of war would add to a sense of exploration, which I personally like in an RPG.

2. The camera angles and positions are absolutely atrocious and add to a lack of involvement in the game.

But apart from that the game is fairly enjoyable. smile

L
stranger
stranger
L

I argee with fog of war would of been nice for exploring but not cause its difficult to tell where ive been or not been to be honest.

I cant agree with that if you want f.o.w you really shouldnt have any marker for them unless your right on top of them.

They do for me as red dots

Support
Support

That should be fixed in the next patch.

stubbie Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Kein

Thank you, oh thank you for telling us!

Just one question: why don't post it there instead of making another junk thread? Why do you guys loves a dump-like forums so much?
Meh...

In answer to your question, I didn't see that thread.......I'm so very, very sorry.
At least you were quite polite in thanking, thanking me.

And I wasn't dumping anything.
I was sharing my disappointment and trying to offer some constructive criticism.
But you go and have a nice day anyway.

Thanks to the others that responded in a more positive way.
I will try again to see if my mini map shows enemies as red dots.
Strange that you guys don't seem to have the problem with objects getting in your way like I do.
I'll give the game a bit more of a try before shelving it.
Thanks again for your feedback.

Also in paused mode you can turn the camera around. Just press the middle mouse button

veteran
veteran

I will try again to see if my mini map shows enemies as red dots.
Strange that you guys don't seem to have the problem with objects getting in your way like I do.
I'll give the game a bit more of a try before shelving it.
Thanks again for your feedback.

A very good idea: give this game more time, explore things! wink
But when NPC's, camera, minimap and so on irritate you whole the time? In that case: stop playing and give the game to a friend or something and play another game you like more smile .

Al the things you wrote ... personally I do not agree! But I play on xbox and my game plays very smooth ! Only 1 bug to the end of Farglow, that's all. And when a basket or crate or something stay in my way? I jumped over it wink. I'm now LEVEL 19 hero and played at least 50 hours, really, I Love this game very much !!!
I find DD also very lovely, but D II at least as much !!

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
enthusiast
enthusiast
I've stoped playing div2 atm due to waiting for the new patch. The stuttering is realy bad even though i have a very high-end system and have v-sync enabled (disabled is the same in fact) and makes my head hurt fast.

A lot of what the OP said is true to some extent, but fortunately the good stuff on the game is bigger than the bad stuff, so all in all it makes the game still very enjoyable.

So, i'm waiting on the patch to fix some of the bad stuff around, especialy the stuttering. I've played other games based on the gamebryo engine and didnt have the same issues, dunno whats the problem but i've read around the web a lot of people have the same problem.

veteran
veteran
That's THE reason I go for the XBOX smile I I specially buy an xbox for playing D II grin ...

I met 1 bug, but this was very easy to solve (skip a dialog) and now I'm Level 19 and have playing at least 50 hours since novembre the 23e. No other bugs ... Ok, one time the screen freezes, but that was NOT a gamebug, but something my xbox wanted to tell me: stop, I'm tired now lol ....
Sometimes I play a whole day!! So addictive ! grin

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
K
stranger
stranger
K
Why is there a pause,you only control one char Im halfway through and never used it.

enthusiast
enthusiast
^it's only for those who want it/need it.

These guys put a hell of a lot of options in this game, to please just about anyone. But, obviously, there's no pleasing some people. "OMG Dragon Age did that, and DII doesn't!!" If you want to play a game that looks, feels, sounds and behaves like Dragon Age... Then play Dragon Age. Dragon Age is a completely different game, treat it like one. This is not Dragon Age: Ego Draconis. That would be as silly a title as the first Divinity.

veteran
veteran
There is a "pause" for people (like me, I'm for sure, slow!) who preference this possibility laugh

The more possibilities a game gives, the more people CAN play that game! You can play on "easy", "medium" or "hard" ... remove also this possibility ... ?
I'm very satisfied I can begin play on "easy", but I think "a experienced gamer" do not use easy or medium ... fine ...
.... and let all people play a game how they wish to play a game wink

apprentice
apprentice
I'm loving this game, personally, while I haven't been able to get into Dragon Age at all. With Divinity 2, I immediately felt involved and combat isn't a barrier to immersion, the way I found it to be in Dragon Age. I'm just not that technical a gamer. I love the sense of humor and am really enjoying it immensely in all respects. Thing is, they are very different games. I can see it being quite possible to enjoy one while not enjoying the other.

veteran
veteran
Me too ...love this game and I haven't the dragon form! I'm now Level 20.
Still 1 open quest in Brocken Valley to go .. and than ... go to kill Laiken grin

stubbie Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
After you guys gave me some positive feedback and also some very helpful tips I decided to start all over again and give the game another try.

It's definitely not as bad as I originally thought.

In reference to my original post:
*I still miss the fog of war. This game practically insists you need to explore every nook and cranny. Without a fog of war its virtually impossible to know what corners of the map you might have missed.
*The fact that merchants are not shown as an icon on your map is still frustrating though it can be overcome somewhat by the use of your own flags.
*In the pc version holding the middle mouse wheel button down allows you to rotate the view while in pause mode. Thanks for pointing that out.

*I found out why I was having such a hard time jumping over things. I had remapped my space bar to "pause". Then I hot keyed my ALT key to jump. But for some strange reason by doing that you get a strange jump motion. You can jump up and down and produce a weapon but you cannot jump forward. It was only after I remapped my jump key to my CTRL button that I was able to jump forward. Perhaps there is a conflict in the programming, but worth keeping in mind for new players.

*Enemies actually do show up on the minimap as red dots. The first time I played I didn't see the dots. Perhaps a bug? Starting a new character has fixed that problem.
*The 8 hot key limit is still a bit limited in my opinion but by pausing and then clicking on show all items and skills you can access the lot. Just seems a bit clunky to me.
*After getting further in the game the npc's seem to have toned down their animated gestures considerably. It's no longer a problem for me.
*I still get frustrated with the quest system. Its probably more a personal choice but I appreciate a game that shows me where my next quest destination is.
*I am getting used to the camera, but I still don't like it. I still think it can be improved upon but I understand that the view and the rotation is limited due to the game being available on consoles. Perhaps a pc mod will be made one day to allow much more freedom in the available views.

I was quite negative about the game when I originally posted. I have since given the game more time and have to say I am starting to enjoy it. The game and its characters are getting more and more interesting the further I get.
However I still get frustrated at times with the fact that at anytime you can find yourself fighting enemies twice your level with no warning. I have since found F5 to be my best friend.

For those of you that bothered to read my rather long winded post..thank you. smile

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard