Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
Originally Posted by khornedragon
Originally Posted by Willlem
Risen isn't that good, Div2 is definetly a better game in my book.

woah woah woah did you just say risen was not good? the only thing bad about risen is that its very short and the total play area is pretty small but other than that that game was F***in good.

Woah woah, that's just my opinion cupcake. :P

https://www.xboxworld.nl/news - The best Dutch Xbox 360 webstite and community!
https://www.xboxworld.nl/article/933/review-divinity-2-ego-draconis/ - My Xboxworld.nl review
addict
addict
I play pretty much every RPG and other than The Witcher and a few elite others, Risen offers some of the best atmosphere and environments in an RPG. Simply amazing and breathtaking.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
K
apprentice
apprentice
K
agreed, standing near on top of that volcano mountain and just looking over the whole island was awesome. then you could just levitate to any place you wanted to. plus i love how the game makes up for it not having as much horizontal space by having lots of different places stacked up on top of each other. like you could to go one place at chapter 1 then the game sends you back there in chapter 3 into its lower depths. i wish all games were built like that(plus having huge amounts of horizontal area)

stranger
stranger
Dragon age is totally different game then D2-ED you can't comepare the 2.

If you like party game non exploring rpg,very small areas follow a path with party pause million times save million times and want a simple rpg then you like dragon age other wise go for Divinity 2 i say much better game:)

P.S Oh and forgot to mention a big portion of the game you constantly staring to loadscreens also in Dragon age so annoying:(

Last edited by Evasion; 16/12/09 10:59 AM. Reason: loadscreens
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Dragon Age starts to have ridiculous long loading screens at some points, I was amazed with how short D2 were (a lot like 2 worlds actually), thou it comes at a price of a lot of stuttering, and it does need to load quite often... but I prefer D2 loadings over Dragon Age ones by far.

Although I really loved dragon age, I enjoyed D2 much more, but that doesn't mean its not a very good game. Even story wise I liked D2 more then DA mostly cuz it didn't have stupid stories about harsh dwarf politics and elves who lives in forests and hates human and the likes, I got sick of those stupid uninteresting lore that so many games came up with lately and still think its original (it wasn't done badly, I just got tired of it). Also D2 delivers its background lore with short books (some with nice humor) while DA thou boring and very long and pointless codex's or something.

However, I really appreciate Dragon Age for making me enjoy and play a game of which genre I mostly hate (I can't stand neverwinter nights, I think all copies of it should be burned). To tell the truth thou, what I liked most about dragon age is how realistic the moving\ running feels, stupid as it may sound, I simply loved running there... (not that it isn't fun in D2 ofc, your jump is epic!)

I LOVE BOTH OF THEM, but I enjoy D2 more for many reasons. I also prefer Risen over Dragon Age, but I haven't finished Risen (which I really like so far) so I can't compare it to D2, and that will make my comment to long if ill write about it smile

Originally Posted by Zomgnome
Dragon Age starts to have ridiculous long loading screens at some points, I was amazed with how short D2 were (a lot like 2 worlds actually), thou it comes at a price of a lot of stuttering, and it does need to load quite often... but I prefer D2 loadings over Dragon Age ones by far.

Although I really loved dragon age, I enjoyed D2 much more, but that doesn't mean its not a very good game. Even story wise I liked D2 more then DA mostly cuz it didn't have stupid stories about harsh dwarf politics and elves who lives in forests and hates human and the likes, I got sick of those stupid uninteresting lore that so many games came up with lately and still think its original (it wasn't done badly, I just got tired of it). Also D2 delivers its background lore with short books (some with nice humor) while DA thou boring and very long and pointless codex's or something.

However, I really appreciate Dragon Age for making me enjoy and play a game of which genre I mostly hate (I can't stand neverwinter nights, I think all copies of it should be burned). To tell the truth thou, what I liked most about dragon age is how realistic the moving\ running feels, stupid as it may sound, I simply loved running there... (not that it isn't fun in D2 ofc, your jump is epic!)

I LOVE BOTH OF THEM, but I enjoy D2 more for many reasons. I also prefer Risen over Dragon Age, but I haven't finished Risen (which I really like so far) so I can't compare it to D2, and that will make my comment to long if ill write about it smile

RPG's (emphasis on the ROLE) vary from game to game on how deep the story and lore are a meaningful part of the game. Since DA:O is the "spritual successor" to Baldur's Gate, which is based primarily on Dungeons and Dragons P&P world, it is no surprise that the depth of the lore is somewhat more than a lot of games. The core audience of these games, especially pen and paper D&D, thrive on this aspect of the game. I mean, how can you expect a table top game like that to be played without truly getting absorbed in the story and acting out "roles" in the context of the story. Might as well play yahtzee if you are going to "roll the dice". smile

By extention, BG and all the follow-ons were designed as an alternative for folks to play...another platform to add a little more realism and immersion...with the hopes of bringing a whole new set of players to the genre.

I realize there have been other RPG's, just using this as an example. Some folks just don't get that aspect of these types of games, while others get it, but can do with/without it, while still others truly thrive and invest themselves in that type of experience. Personally, I'm too A.D.D. for the p&p version, but I appreciate the story in a really well written cRPG, and DA:O is truly one of those.

I hope I enjoy D2 as much, because I definitely enjoyed D1.

Is reality just a fantasy?
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by SheaOhmsford

RPG's (emphasis on the ROLE) vary from game to game on how deep the story and lore are a meaningful part of the game. Since DA:O is the "spritual successor" to Baldur's Gate, which is based primarily on Dungeons and Dragons P&P world, it is no surprise that the depth of the lore is somewhat more than a lot of games. The core audience of these games, especially pen and paper D&D, thrive on this aspect of the game. I mean, how can you expect a table top game like that to be played without truly getting absorbed in the story and acting out "roles" in the context of the story. Might as well play yahtzee if you are going to "roll the dice". smile

By extention, BG and all the follow-ons were designed as an alternative for folks to play...another platform to add a little more realism and immersion...with the hopes of bringing a whole new set of players to the genre.

I realize there have been other RPG's, just using this as an example. Some folks just don't get that aspect of these types of games, while others get it, but can do with/without it, while still others truly thrive and invest themselves in that type of experience. Personally, I'm too A.D.D. for the p&p version, but I appreciate the story in a really well written cRPG, and DA:O is truly one of those.

I hope I enjoy D2 as much, because I definitely enjoyed D1.

I love a well written story just as much, but it seems I grew tired of the traditional D&D world. Still, I felt like dragon age lacked atmosphere. I felt a lot more immersed Fable or Risen. There is something fun about feeling as if your PC is real and as if everything in the world is real (quests with moral choices for example, I want "ppl" to think about me this way or the other), but dragon age quickly ruined this for me quite early somehow, I don't know excatcly what went wrong. Maybe its beacouse of how predictable everything was, but I don't really know.

However I really enjoy D2 story, even if it has some holes and isn't too deep, its more interesting than the one in Dragon Age even if there isn't so much lore in the world. Still, I really like the new short books thing D2 got, I hope more games will have it, for those who are intrested in lore, but only the interesting parts smile

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
okay after playing a very long time in divinity 2 im gonna have to say dragon age is still the better game.

the combat in divinity 2 is a heck of alot funner than the combat in dragon age. i really don't like party based rpgs where you need to pause of the time and attacks are automated(like you just click on a target and your char attacks).

the lore, like i said before, is alot better in dragon age. its very deep and just about everything you come across has a codex page about it. so you learn about the entire world and its history by the time the game is done. every monster that you fight has something written about it, all the major organizations has a backstory and most major(and some minors) have a history that updates depending on your actions with them. this game has a few books here and there but you could easily miss them and there isn't to much lore in them.

the story in dragon age is much more epic. you choose your origin and then you get recruited to the grey wardens to save the world from the blight. in this game your some unknown slayer who becomes a dragon knight to stop Damien. its not like you can choose how you character began or anything.

the characters in dragon age is alot better. there are more people to interact with. your party members have goals and ideals and they like you or dislike you according to your actions. not only that there are ALOT more moral choices in dragon age. there should def be more in this game. also i think there should also be a moral compass in this game(and in dragon age) like there was in mass effect or jade empire or KOTOR. also theres romance in dragon age(it doesn't make it any better just putting it out there).

the graphics in dragon age are a little better although this game has some more scenic points.

veteran
veteran
okay after playing a very long time in divinity 2 im gonna have to say dragon age is still the better game.

First of all: it's your opinion AND it's okay to deal this with other people.
Also fine you like Dragon Age so much, have fun with it, I'm serious smile .

My opinion (about this topic title):
I can't compare both games with each other, never!

But I find it very funny to read and follow this topic grin

Last edited by Joram; 17/12/09 10:31 AM.

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
K
apprentice
apprentice
K
oh and one thing i forgot to mention was the itemization in dragon age is far superior to this games itemization. like everything you get is so random. the chance you can get good gear is pretty low and you have to save before you open every chest to make sure you get something good. so you could go through an entire dungeon and not get anything good. but in dragon age most places you go to have some item that is worthwhile in a certain place. and when you get a good sword off of a slain enemy you'll see that they were actually using that weapon, not like how in this game if you kill a monster it has loot it wasn't even using. and no matter how many times you kill that person your still gonna get that good sword(or axe or whatever) unlike in this game its just so random. also one of the major problems i have in this game(and any rpg that has a item system like it) is when you have a weapon and when you give it enchantments or charms it gets a prefix or a suffix. i mean i totally hate that. in dragon age the strongest weapons have a name not something like destroying death sword of vengeance but vehsallie or adoh(these weapons also have codex entries also).

stranger
stranger
Dragon age=pause pause loadscreen loadscreen save save cutscenes cutscenes npc's voice conversations npc's voice conversations.

Atual playing is limited you mainly looks at eather cutscenes or freeze screen load or pause.

Dragon age is party game with many extremely small maps/areas and you play by pause game alot and give commands to your party memebers.

If you like to play like that then DAO is for you.

If you realy wanne play a rpg and build up your character by exploring doing quests find artifacts roam world but play constantly with your character and not constantly in a pause/loadscreen then D2 ED is for you:)

While divinity is more in style of oblivion.

stranger
stranger
D2 ED Compete easy agains bioware and it beats Dragon age by miles.

Only bugs is in the way of been superb RPG if thats fixed it also beats Oblivion.

Dragon age= loadscreen loadscreen pause pause very very small maps actual play maybe30% rest is eather watch story told(witch i agree is very well done but you dont play realy)or watch loadscreen/pause.

You just can't comepare DAO with D2ED there 2 totally different styles of rpg's.

If you like Oblivion/ghotic/risen/two worlds you like Divinity 2 if you like watching loadscreens and play in extremely small areas maps and almost ZERO exploring you like Dragon age.

And becouse Dragon age is made by bioware that dont mean its good and notthing can come close that bull....

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
Originally Posted by Evasion
Dragon age=pause pause loadscreen loadscreen save save cutscenes cutscenes npc's voice conversations npc's voice conversations.

Atual playing is limited you mainly looks at eather cutscenes or freeze screen load or pause.

Dragon age is party game with many extremely small maps/areas and you play by pause game alot and give commands to your party memebers.

If you like to play like that then DAO is for you.

If you realy wanne play a rpg and build up your character by exploring doing quests find artifacts roam world but play constantly with your character and not constantly in a pause/loadscreen then D2 ED is for you:)

While divinity is more in style of oblivion.

hm.....im gonna have to disagree with you there. there is alot of combat in dragon age origins. the difference between this game and dragon age though is that for dragon age your'll have a period of not fighting and just talking to people(your compaions, people to advance quests) then yourll go for long periods of just straight up fighting. in this game its just a bunch of fighting(not saying its wrong or anything) then like a quick second of talking then back to the action. that is fine and all but that kind of set up is pretty simple and gets boring fast.

to me the maps in dragon age range from small to fairly large but all in all i think the total area you'll explore in dragon age is much larger than the area you'll explore in this game. i was surprised to see how in this game you have one big area to explore(as the story progresses you get more) although that leads to little variation in the places you visit. there is alto of exploring in this game. in dragon age you'll be in a forest and a ruined temples, you'll go on plains and in a city deep underground, tunnels deep deep underground and in a giant tower and in various towns(depending if you got the dlc). while in this game you'll be on a canyon then a island then another canyon(yet this one is filled with water to a certain point). im gonna have to say dragon ages system was a tad bit better than this ones in the map department although it would be EPIC if this game's sequel(as i hope there will be one) could do a little of what dragon age and not only have these big maps but also diversify where you visit a little and make the environments more...exotic.

when i played dragon age i hardly paused the map except on very epic fights but i just think that adds to the tactical ness. you can't just charge in and waste everyone. although like i said before i enjoyed divinity 2's combat system far more than i did dragon age.

did and also i don't know what kind of computer you have(probably crappy) but the load times for me in dragon age are just as short as they are in this game.

well hold up dude. the amount of rpg elements in dragon age are way more than the ones in this game. theres more customizations and way more different ways to build your character and play(the mage class ALONE has more skills to pick than all of this games classes combined and its diversity is much more). oh and im gonna have to say dragon age lasted far longer than this game.

old hand
old hand
I like Dragon Age, but Div 2 is my game of the year, followed by Drakensang.

What I don't like about Dragon Age is that it hides the games' rules. Unlike Drakensang or Neverwinter Nights, it hides the combat window with the rolls, damage calculations, spell saves, etc.

One never knows what's going on during combat... "OK, my attack missed... my spell was resisted... but why?" Even the manual doesn't explain the core rules of the system in detail... one needs to go delving on the BioWare forums for that.

I do not mind that Dragon Age has a lot of combat, after all Baldur's Gate did too, but the problem I'm having is that one can use the same tactics through the entire game to win. E.g. freezing spell followed by shattering enemies.

Baldur's Gate has a lot more variety in enemies (& dungeons) that required constant changing of tactics (spells, special magical weapons, etc.). Dragon Age feels a lot like a MMO with the cooldowns on spells & abilities.

As for the story, it is the typical high fantasy "go and beat the evil & save the world" that BioWare has used in all their games (save perhaps Jade Empire)... also they used the same character archetypes as always. I do not really mind that... for me the most important is a believable game world & setting with in depth lore and in this BioWare delivered. The Codex is quite interesting to read... though perhaps they did copy paste some real-life cultures & countries in the game a bit too blatantly (e.g. Orlais = France & Antiva = Spain).

Last edited by virumor; 17/12/09 11:42 PM.
K
apprentice
apprentice
K
actually antiva is modeled after Italy not Spain. most rpg's if not all of them take influences from real world counterparts. i personally don't see the countries in dragon age to bear to strong of a resemblance from there real world counterpart(except for orlaies) and did drakensang tell you about the game rules? i think it did but i don't remember its been like 2 months since i last played it. and the story that dragon age , if you look at the gist of it, is the same as this games. although for a good 1-3 hours its just kill all dragons then it becomes defeat evil force(damien) and save the world. so you can't really complain about dragon age origins story and then praise this games in my opinion.

Last edited by khornedragon; 18/12/09 12:13 AM.
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
so you can't really complain about dragon age origins story and then praise this games in my opinion.

I have played both of them and I love both of them, and although dragon age story is very nice, D2 one certainly feels much more "epic". And I like it. Dragon age felt to much like your typical dark (?) fantasy setting, and did a big mistake witch ruined much of the settings when deciding that almost all quests have a clear good\ bad paths, instead of the true dark fantasy grey way. Dragon Age had wonderfull dialouges, writtings, and some cleaver moments (endings, the scene of both of the battles), but it failed to deliver a true atmosphere and more importantly, the actual game had nothing to do with the "epicness" you felt when watching the movies (or worse, the dirty marketing they done with the trailers). D2 however never fails, it knows what you expcet to see and want to see, and it delivers it. And beacouse its also sort of more linear, it allows the story to be delivered better. Instead of breaking it into 3\4 parts like dragon age felt, and it also had some design pluses in my opinion (like less and less talking the further you go, like one podcast says, player is less intreasted in making choices the further he goes).

I also have to disagrees with what you said about items. Don't forget D2 is a loot game, its supposed to be like that. Besides, while in Dragon Age you find good stuff when looting enemies\ dungeons, you (usally) find shitty things on the market, while in D2 you always find very nice things on the market (which are random and thats good) and you never really lack money to get them. Also you have control over charms and enchanments, mostly, so you can balance stuff. It is however more satisfying to find a new weapon or armor in DA, but mainly beacouse its just so rare and there are only around 7 tiers (not like D2 has more, but you do come across new gear very often in D2 cuz its all random).

veteran
veteran
oh and one thing i forgot to mention was the itemization in dragon age is far superior to this games itemization. like everything you get is so random. the chance you can get good gear is pretty low and you have to save before you open every chest to make sure you get something good. so you could go through an entire dungeon and not get anything good. but in dragon age most places you go to have some item that is worthwhile in a certain place. and when you get a good sword off of a slain enemy you'll see that they were actually using that weapon, not like how in this game if you kill a monster it has loot it wasn't even using. and no matter how many times you kill that person your still gonna get that good sword(or axe or whatever) unlike in this game its just so random. also one of the major problems i have in this game(and any rpg that has a item system like it) is when you have a weapon and when you give it enchantments or charms it gets a prefix or a suffix. i mean i totally hate that. in dragon age the strongest weapons have a name not something like destroying death sword of vengeance but vehsallie or adoh(these weapons also have codex entries also).

I personal find it a nice thing much gear I find in chests, barrels, crates etc is RANDOMLY ! And I don't care about it what kind of gear I find, so I don't save and reload whole the time to have the best gear, o no ... For me, that's a little like "cheating" ...
The randomly of "loot" is for me fun and give me, amongst other things, the most greatest replayability!
I think I find it boring if I known the next time I play a game which gear I would find on specific places ... It's just the fun to find randomly items laugh !! But that's also MY personal opinion!!

The world of both games are for sure NOT the same.
I'm more than satified about the world of D II ... there're many hidden dungeons, chambers, etc ... And there is also many variation in this world.

But I think you love DA:O much more (and I love D II: ED a lot and I love singleplayer - that's enough wink ).

I believe: the more you make a good word about DA:O on this forum, the more you make D II:ED better! wink

Great fun to read this topic grin

Last edited by Joram; 18/12/09 10:26 AM.

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
K
apprentice
apprentice
K
Originally Posted by Zomgnome
so you can't really complain about dragon age origins story and then praise this games in my opinion.

I have played both of them and I love both of them, and although dragon age story is very nice, D2 one certainly feels much more "epic". And I like it. Dragon age felt to much like your typical dark (?) fantasy setting, and did a big mistake witch ruined much of the settings when deciding that almost all quests have a clear good\ bad paths, instead of the true dark fantasy grey way. Dragon Age had wonderfull dialouges, writtings, and some cleaver moments (endings, the scene of both of the battles), but it failed to deliver a true atmosphere and more importantly, the actual game had nothing to do with the "epicness" you felt when watching the movies (or worse, the dirty marketing they done with the trailers). D2 however never fails, it knows what you expcet to see and want to see, and it delivers it. And beacouse its also sort of more linear, it allows the story to be delivered better. Instead of breaking it into 3\4 parts like dragon age felt, and it also had some design pluses in my opinion (like less and less talking the further you go, like one podcast says, player is less intreasted in making choices the further he goes).

I also have to disagrees with what you said about items. Don't forget D2 is a loot game, its supposed to be like that. Besides, while in Dragon Age you find good stuff when looting enemies\ dungeons, you (usally) find shitty things on the market, while in D2 you always find very nice things on the market (which are random and thats good) and you never really lack money to get them. Also you have control over charms and enchanments, mostly, so you can balance stuff. It is however more satisfying to find a new weapon or armor in DA, but mainly beacouse its just so rare and there are only around 7 tiers (not like D2 has more, but you do come across new gear very often in D2 cuz its all random).

i seriously disagree with you about the good/bad choices. those are extremely fun and add a WHOLE lot of replayability. they did not ruin the atmosphere of the game. you sir are a very small SMALL minority of gamers who felt that way about dragon age. most people love those moral choices. i wish this game had more moral choices. it feels like your not your char is not really you in a sense. the game play in dragon age doesn't have that epic feel you get when you watch the movies. and the marketing thing was spot on. i HATE how bioware gave us so many spoilers about this game*cough*broodmother*cough* so there was hardly any surprise. i also think divinity 2 had a much more "epic" feel during certain parts of the gameplay, like when you turn into a dragon for instance. im still confused about weather i like dragon ages go-where-you-want-to kind of game play(like you go get the allies) or this games more linear storyline. im gonna have to go with this games though i wish i could go back and explore broken vally(i forgot to finish all the quests) but other than that its all good.

yes i realize that D2 is a loot game and i have a special hatred of loot games. they just seem so unrealistic. not only that in dragon age if you need a good weapon you can look at a guide and they will tell you the exact location of a good weapon. in this game if you need some new gear(or just trying to find a really good one) then your gonna have to go in front of a chest and save-reload-save-reload until you get what you want. that process is so tiresome and gets boring fast. and sometimes if you fight a boss in this game and you kill him chances are you might not get anything good but in dragon age you know that if you just fought through a bunch of minions and you finally defeat a boss your getting some good stuff. yes the shops in dragon age have some crappy gear but that gear stays constant unless there is a reason the stock updates. and your also going to find some good gear at a merchant also.

Last edited by khornedragon; 18/12/09 06:57 PM.
veteran
veteran
I find it just very funny, when I play a game, I don't know before whitch kind of gear I would find!
The "surprize" of this is fun, my opinion! wink

I can imagine that "save-reload-save-reload until you get what you want" is very boring!!
But why do you something like this if you find that boring???? Boring yourself and why?
I play like a game comes or don't play it if you hatred loot games or whatever!
But on the other hand : do what you want, you're free!

I found many good loot and never "save-reload-save-reload" ! I'm happy with the gear I can nibble laugh ...

In that case: you can better play DA:O and have fun with the game you realy love more to play without "boring acts" wink
Enjoy & have a lot of fun, that's, what I believe, the most important thing for me to play a game!! And the only thing why I not play DA:O (or any other game) is simply like this: because for the moment, D II: ED asks my full attention grin

wink

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
Originally Posted by Joram
I find it just very funny, when I play a game, I don't know before whitch kind of gear I would find!
The "surprize" of this is fun, my opinion! wink

I can imagine that "save-reload-save-reload until you get what you want" is very boring!!
But why do you something like this if you find that boring???? Boring yourself and why?
I play like a game comes or don't play it if you hatred loot games or whatever!
But on the other hand : do what you want, you're free!

I found many good loot and never "save-reload-save-reload" ! I'm happy with the gear I can nibble laugh ...

In that case: you can better play DA:O and have fun with the game you realy love more to play without "boring acts" wink
Enjoy & have a lot of fun, that's, what I believe, the most important thing for me to play a game!! And the only thing why I not play DA:O (or any other game) is simply like this: because for the moment, D II: ED asks my full attention grin

wink

if you play dragon age origins you won't know what kind of gear you will get either but if you want to know where the strongest weapon in the game is or whatever you can be confident that someone can tell you exactly where it is.

you don't see how saving before you open a chest and if you don't get what you want you reload to the previous save is boring? what? and the reason why i DO that is because the combat is extremely fun and i want some good gear so i do the save-reload thing. the only time when you are sure your gonna get some good gear is those armor sets in those flying forts and even they are not as good as the stuff you get when you do the save-reload unless there is some really really good stat bonus for wearing all of the gear at once.

im not saying divinity 2 is not fun or is a bad game, quite the contrary. im just stating that there are aspects of this game which dragon age origins is better and vice versa. the whole loot system that this game(and many many others) have is just absurd and extremely boring.

Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard