Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15
enthusiast
enthusiast
With all due respect this thread is basicaly :

PLayer 1: "I like D2 because it has more white than DA:O"
Player 2: "White sucks. BLue is clearly better and DAO has plenty of blue"
Player 3: "I love grey in games. Both have various tones of grey but DAO has a little more so i vote DAO"
PLayer 1: "WTF? grey? blue? white is clearly better, are you all blind?!!!?"

No offense to anyone please, but as comparing colors and other pointless things, comparing 2 games that are completely diferent is just the same.

Last edited by KnightPT; 18/12/09 07:18 PM.
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
I completely avoid the save-reload process. I simply realized you can always easily find good gear at the shops, and it restocks almost each time I visit any of them. There was once a long period I remember where I couldn't find any good weapon, but it was only once. And also not all is so completely random, like the sword you get from the messed up necromancer whom I forgot his name, or the sword of that ghost dragon slayer you meet early on. Hoover, I also dislike randomized loot. But in D2 I didn't hate it much, unlike other loot based games like Torchlight for example (which was very stupid in how it handled loot, still fun game thou).

And what I meant about morale quests, is not that they are bad, on the contrary I also like them, the problem with DA is that it lack grey areas. There is mostly COMPLETE GOOD or COMPLETE BAD. Grey quests are very rare (there are some very good ones but still rare), and many quests which are supposed to be "grey" have a third outcome which satisfies both sides, so you can almost always get the good outcome for everyone, it just ruined dragon ages atmosphere (SPOILER: the elves and werewolves for example). Ofc, D2 isn't excatcly doing better in this area as well, but it still delivers a great feeling of athmosphere (not sure which kind it supposed to be, but its diffidently there).

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
Originally Posted by Zomgnome
I completely avoid the save-reload process. I simply realized you can always easily find good gear at the shops, and it restocks almost each time I visit any of them. There was once a long period I remember where I couldn't find any good weapon, but it was only once. And also not all is so completely random, like the sword you get from the messed up necromancer whom I forgot his name, or the sword of that ghost dragon slayer you meet early on. Hoover, I also dislike randomized loot. But in D2 I didn't hate it much, unlike other loot based games like Torchlight for example (which was very stupid in how it handled loot, still fun game thou).

And what I meant about morale quests, is not that they are bad, on the contrary I also like them, the problem with DA is that it lack grey areas. There is mostly COMPLETE GOOD or COMPLETE BAD. Grey quests are very rare (there are some very good ones but still rare), and many quests which are supposed to be "grey" have a third outcome which satisfies both sides, so you can almost always get the good outcome for everyone, it just ruined dragon ages atmosphere (SPOILER: the elves and werewolves for example). Ofc, D2 isn't excatcly doing better in this area as well, but it still delivers a great feeling of athmosphere (not sure which kind it supposed to be, but its diffidently there).

oh okay i see what you mean bout the grey moral chocies and stuff. although i personally don't see how they could pull that off in dragon age or just about any game for that matter. like what is a grey morality choice going to do? is it going to help them or is it going to hurt them, if it helps them then it would be a good thing unless its like you help them by doing something bad to them first i guess. is that what your talkin about with the grey morality choices.

and almost all the time i do the evil path in every game i play if it allows you to do choices so having a grey morality isn't really the problem for me. and with the elves and the were wolves there is a " grey morality" you can side with the zatherin(elves) to kill witherfang and swiftrunner, you can ally with the werewolves to kill all the elves but the middle ground is where you attack zatherin with the help of the werewolves and you convince zatherin to remove teh curse thus killing himself and witherfang and cure the werewolves.

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
Originally Posted by KnightPT

Player 3: "I love grey in games. Both have various tones of grey but DAO has a little more so i vote DAO"

No offense to anyone please, but as comparing colors and other pointless things, comparing 2 games that are completely diferent is just the same.

i disagree, one these games are not completly different. yes they have totally different gameplay mechanics there both rpgs and thus both are comparable.

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by khornedragon

oh okay i see what you mean bout the grey moral chocies and stuff. although i personally don't see how they could pull that off in dragon age or just about any game for that matter. like what is a grey morality choice going to do? is it going to help them or is it going to hurt them, if it helps them then it would be a good thing unless its like you help them by doing something bad to them first i guess. is that what your talkin about with the grey morality choices.

and almost all the time i do the evil path in every game i play if it allows you to do choices so having a grey morality isn't really the problem for me. and with the elves and the were wolves there is a " grey morality" you can side with the zatherin(elves) to kill witherfang and swiftrunner, you can ally with the werewolves to kill all the elves but the middle ground is where you attack zatherin with the help of the werewolves and you convince zatherin to remove teh curse thus killing himself and witherfang and cure the werewolves.

Yea thats what I meant. I felt like to many quests had the middle ground. The wolves and elves one is that you eventually convince zatherin (how the hell did u remember his name?) to do the good thing, and sure he kills himself but he understand its the right thing to do and its obvious its the right thing to do. So there no hard choice here, its the ultimate solution. A good grey are quest, very very good one was the conflict between the two dwarf kings. There you need to think and take interest in both of them before you can deiced which of them is better, thou overall both have pros and cons. None of them is evil or good, but they both oppose each other with good basis, now thats a great grey plot, ultimately you decide which of them you prefer, but you will still wonder about it and maybe even "regret" it. But there are many ways to achieve atmosphere, perhaps what ruined it for me in DA was the cliche story maybe?

Anyway I feel like theres no direction for this conversation to go to anymore so Ill cut it here by saying I love both of these games smile

H
stranger
stranger
H
I liked both games too. Both have weaknesses and superiorities, but frankly, Draconis is far more innovative and entertaining. I really loved the dogfighting in the sky with other fliers and dodging with AA gun batteries (:) ballista and lightning towers, don't they seem a little bit scienfiction). Even you have fire-and-forget missiles (:)some kind of dragon fireball) chasing the target. As far as I know nobody did that in a fantasy rpg game. Only missing part is to attack ground targets in the dragon form. I would really like to diving and grilling those sneaky little goblin scourge while they stampede away in terror. Maybe Larian think that for the next release, if it will be. Maybe the company thought that nobody will use human form if the dragon form can attack ground enemies, and the game will transform into an arcade game.

And the combat experience is fascinating. In Dragon Age, like its predeccors NWN1/2, battles are rather a tactical dilemma, I mean, hold your party in the formation, keep brute guys ahead, protect the missile and spellcaster units .... That gives different kind of tastes of course, but you hardly can feel the adrenaline. In Draconis, with a few pushes of button, you can make stunning moves and feel the heat of battle.

I really adored Dragon Age's epic musics. But Draconis' ones are also really good. And who devised to use hard rock musics in the most dangerous encounters? It was exactly amazing to listen rock while slashing sword for your life.

Last edited by hedehodo; 19/12/09 09:01 PM.
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by hedehodo
I liked both games too. Both have weaknesses and superiorities, but frankly, Draconis is far more innovative and entertaining. I really loved the dogfighting in the sky with other fliers and dodging with AA gun batteries (:) ballista and lightning towers, don't they seem a little bit scienfiction). Even you have fire-and-forget missiles (:)some kind of dragon fireball) chasing the target. As far as I know nobody did that in a fantasy rpg game. Only missing part is to attack ground targets in the dragon form. I would really like to diving and grilling those sneaky little goblin scourge while they stampede away in terror. Maybe Larian think that for the next release, if it will be. Maybe the company thought that nobody will use human form if the dragon form can attack ground enemies, and the game will transform into an arcade game.

And the combat experience is fascinating. In Dragon Age, like its predeccors NWN1/2, battles are rather a tactical dilemma, I mean, hold your party in the formation, keep brute guys ahead, protect the missile and spellcaster units .... That gives different kind of tastes of course, but you hardly can feel the adrenaline. In Draconis, with a few pushes of button, you can make stunning moves and feel the heat of battle.

I really adored Dragon Age's epic musics. But Draconis' ones are also really good. And who devised to use hard rock musics in the most dangerous encounters? It was exactly amazing to listen rock while slashing sword for your life.

I cant recall everything, but there are many thing to add to my list. That does not mean Dragon Age sucks, on the contrary, it is epic, but still remains cliche and benefits from the legacy of its precessors. Draconis' eccentricism can be understood from its unsatisfactory ending: the player after all those hours of play for the greater good, SPOILER DELETED :P

But again this is the key strength of the game: innovation. And it must be admitted that not many games take a stand against the Bioware and not exactly crushed.

Couldn't agree more smile
When you said mudic however, you just reminded me the cutscene in DA when the fight for ostagar starts... It was so epic, the dogs run, some get killed, some men in the army look away... And then he tells them to charge, just when the music really kicks in, and you see the whole army run straight towards the darkspwan... I loved that part, too bad you didn't get any of that feeling during gameplay (not like it wasn't fun ofc, I hated NWN2 but DA gameplay is quite fun). Seems like I dont have anything to add other then that little memory I just recalled from DA claphands

Last edited by Zomgnome; 20/12/09 07:21 AM.
Support
Support
Originally Posted by hedehodo
Even you have fire-and-forget missiles (:)some kind of dragon fireball) chasing the target. As far as I know nobody did that in a fantasy rpg game.

The 'warrior' character in the action RPG I of the Dragon had a 'fire missile' attack that would track targets, though it did less damage than the 'fire blast' straight fireball (there was also a short range 'fire breath' attack, which was more powerful than either distance attack).

exclamation D2:ED has not been released everywhere yet. exclamation

Hedehodo, please do not talk about the end of the game (in a topic not titled so that people would know it was about the end of the game) without using spoiler tags. Please edit your post to add spoiler tags, or remove specifics about the end of the game.

Also, welcome to the forum. wave ... but still a bit mad

Everybody - be carefull with spoilers - Please!

Zomgnome; please do not quote people who talk about the end of the game (in a topic not titled so that people would know it was about the end of the game) without using spoiler tags. Even if they go back and edit their post, the spoiler would still be there unless you did the same. Which you should do, please.

Not that this particular instance was the worst offense for this, but when Divinity 3 is released anywhere, I'm quitting the forum until I have completed the game.

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
ah dude i read your post and spoiled the ending. total bummer man

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by KnightPT

i disagree, one these games are not completly different. yes they have totally different gameplay mechanics there both rpgs and thus both are comparable.

Chevy Corvettes and Ford F-150s are both cars, but comparing them is senseless and you can draw no conclusion as to which is better. There are more differences than similarities that can be drawn between DA:O and D2. Apples and oranges, mate.

Better example, Land Rover Discovery VS. Cadillac Escalade. Both are SUVs, both are "supposed" to go offroad, both have huge price tags, both are well equipped, both waste a lot of fuel, both make you feel high and mighty, but only one of them is actually an offroad SUV.
Same goes with D2 ED and DAO, and in this particular case DAO is the Escalade.

...........................::ALIVE::..........................

DeviRyuuD(Myojinoir) Reviews here
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by DeviRyuuD
Better example, Land Rover Discovery VS. Cadillac Escalade. Both are SUVs, both are "supposed" to go offroad, both have huge price tags, both are well equipped, both waste a lot of fuel, both make you feel high and mighty, but only one of them is actually an offroad SUV.
Same goes with D2 ED and DAO, and in this particular case DAO is the Escalade.

So wait wait...you're saying that DAO is less of a pure RPG than D2?

P
stranger
stranger
P
I can say that I am enjoying this game more than DA:O.

Originally Posted by Exeter Lux
So wait wait...you're saying that DAO is less of a pure RPG than D2?

Exactly. And i`ve already pointed out why earlyer in the topic.

...........................::ALIVE::..........................

DeviRyuuD(Myojinoir) Reviews here
H
stranger
stranger
H
Sorry raze, and thanks for your welcome. I was thinking that you had to be completed the game to compare it with other games. That includes the ending as well. I'll stop to mention it.

Everybody - be carefull with spoilers - Please!

Zomgnome; please do not quote people who talk about the end of the game (in a topic not titled so that people would know it was about the end of the game) without using spoiler tags. Even if they go back and edit their post, the spoiler would still be there unless you did the same. Which you should do, please.

Not that this particular instance was the worst offense for this, but when Divinity 3 is released anywhere, I'm quitting the forum until I have completed the game. [/quote]

H
stranger
stranger
H
The same goes for you as well khornedragon, sorry for revealing the ending. But I cant imagine that why anyone read a comparison thread when playing the game actually, continue playing and you'll have your final idea at the end. Will u stop playing the game if nobody likes it? Still sorry again...

ah dude i read your post and spoiled the ending. total bummer man

H
stranger
stranger
H
Happy to agree with you Zonegnome. But some people, maybe rightfully go against mentioning the ending of the game. I just removed related sentences from my post. Please you to do the same. Regarding your ideas about the musics of DA, I agree... DA is much more dramatic and profound in terms of storyline, cinematics and effect of your decisions to the ending. But Draconis are adding new concepts and saving us from cliche heroism concepts.

Support
Support

The most accurate comparison may be better made after finishing both games, but that doesn't mean only people who have finished the games would be interested in the comparison.
Reviews can be fairly subjective, and use a lot of relative descriptions. A topic comparing games (or listing favourite games, etc) can give you a better idea of what to expect, especially if one or more people involved tend to hold the same opinion as you for other games. If I generally agree with someone for games I have played, I'm more likely to buy or check out a demo for one that they like (which I've done so for several games mentioned in the RPG Chat forum or in various topics discussing DD and BD).

If a game is boring or repetitive and you quit half way through, that doesn't mean you can not compare it to other games. It may get better, but you can certainly form an opinion based on what you played. Likewise if a game is amazing and fun but you are not done yet, you can still compare it to other games. Maybe the story falls flat at the end or it gets too easy/hard which may lower your overall opinion, but generally speaking it is usually clear from the context if someone has finished a game or not.

stranger
stranger
Let me say, i've played to DA:O until yesterday and i found it one of the best RPG ever made.
Your party is highly detailed in both graphics and story, gameplay if fluid and there are no significative bugs (they found a solution for the memory leak).
Also, DA got multiple ending and before you discover all the path (the starting story will change if you choose a different race/class) you can play anew quite some time. All that say, there is the romance and the interaction bethwen your party members...

Anyway, i didn't finish D2 yet, so a real comparison cannot be made, but... well, my first 6 hours of play aren't impressing me. In D2 bugs goes ramapage, gameplay is often frustrating, graphics can be done better and item collectable are not highlighted at distance... mean you will lose your sight to spot something and you need to be really close to "pick/activate" it.

I will resume play after the patch... let's see if thing get better smile

With time wisdom come, then with time mind fade and wisdom vane.
old hand
old hand
DA is an okay game for sure, but after playing & finishing it I just couldn't shrug off the feeling that everything I experienced in the game I had already experienced elsewhere... characters & story were basically copy pasted from previous BioWare games. Nothing to write home about.

Replay value in DA for me is dubious, since none of the Origins have any effect on how the main storyline plays out. There are just some cosmetic changes in how a few characters address the main character based on certain happenings in the origin.

Originally Posted by Zomgnome

When you said mudic however, you just reminded me the cutscene in DA when the fight for ostagar starts... It was so epic, the dogs run, some get killed, some men in the army look away... And then he tells them to charge, just when the music really kicks in, and you see the whole army run straight towards the darkspwan... I loved that part, too bad you didn't get any of that feeling during gameplay (not like it wasn't fun ofc, I hated NWN2 but DA gameplay is quite fun). Seems like I dont have anything to add other then that little memory I just recalled from DA claphands

It wasn't very epic at all. It was, in fact, idiotic how the defending army stood right in front of a FORTRESS & then even charged an attacking army instead of making use of the fortifications and letting the Darkspawn come to them...

Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard