Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
stranger
stranger
i played the xbox version so i didnt have many problems with stuff getting in my way or little crashes that mean you have to reload
i agree the having to find your way for every quest and guess your way through evrything was a bit tedious but it meant that you had to explore EVERYWHERE. This for a patient gamer is heaven because you get so much for your money, i personally am not a patient gamer.
I think what the developers were trying to do is pick out the best bits from oblivion and fable and fuse them together with a big ass dragon, it wasnt bad, i enjoyed the gameplay once i got into it and i loved the magic and stuff
but i have one major complaint
the ending was SHIT.
randomly you get betrayed and frozen and the bad guys almost win excetera, and i wouldnt mind that, if you get a chance to go back and bitch them all for it and hand out some serious dragon kung fu fire mojo. but no. thats the end. bad guys win and the world ends.
thoroughly unimpressed.
even worse than the fable 2 ending.

Last edited by Dedeyedick; 19/12/09 01:25 PM.
C
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by Dedeyedick
the ending was SHIT.
...INSERT SPOILERY INFORMATION HERE... even worse than the fable 2 ending.

So I take it there's only one ending?

Last edited by CactusAttack; 19/12/09 01:45 PM.
Support
Support

There is only one ending.... and I really wish people could refrain from talking about it in detail (in topics not clearly titled so people would know they are about the end of the game) without using spoilers. The game isn't even out everywhere yet.

Really, if someone asks you how a book or movie was, do you go into detail about the ending?

Everybody - be carefull with spoilers - Please!

stranger
stranger
I must quote stubbie for most of the point. The game really lack in base gameplay.

I also found these points that make the game experience frustrating:

-Jump is inaccurate and the distances between the points of jumps are ill defined. Often you find yourself having to "plod" to climb on points and ledges that allow access to keys, books and other items.

-Combat animations are unrealistic, jerky and often lead to missing the target in close combat, forcing the player to choose a class specialized in ranged combat.

-Mind read is a very good feature, adds an innovative RPG touch to the game, but it is completely unbalanced if related to experience cost.

-The game run smoothly, but the graphics of the objects in the distance becomes cheap:
creatures that move like zombie, walking as if they had wooden limbs, or wizards who cast spells that "vanish" after a few seconds and then reappear in front of the character.

-Considered the system requirements and the percentage of processor busy, it's expected a more fluid and realistic scenery.

-Talk to the NPC is sometimes annoying, because you always need to click "continue" after the last sentence, and you cannot do it using spacebar.

-Text in dialog is too small if you use a high resolution.
This also leads to a graphic effect that is unpleasant, because the text box remains empty and takes up almost half of the screen.

Finally, a note for the forum's Mods:
about the "eternal load" problem, writing "please contact the boys to SecuROM if the game has problems with loading" is like saying to the player "if your game is not working, it is not our problem, just bothers elsewhere...".
Obviously this approach greatly annoys those who buy the game and expects a product nice and functional; i understand that cd-check is not your doing, but... i see a lot of user with this problem, the least you could do is provide a patch or a formal answer, certainly not put off your users on third-party sites.

Please think about it smile

Last edited by Arlissa; 20/12/09 12:08 AM.

With time wisdom come, then with time mind fade and wisdom vane.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Arlissa

-Mind read is a very good feature, adds an innovative RPG touch to the game, but it is completely unbalanced if related to experience cost.

It would be unbalanced if there were no experience cost.

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z

I also found these points that make the game experience frustrating:

Saying "please contact the boys to SecuROM if the game has problems with loading" is not like "go bother someone else" at all. They have every right to say it. What you are saying is like expecting Microsoft to patch windows for a certain game, while the true fault is the game who needs the fix and not the whole system. (Here, the whole system is D2, the "game" is the SecuROM").

- True. Most of the time its cool and fun, but it can be a bit frustrating in platforming section (makes me think of DMC3), however, they are short, you can save whenever you want, and personalty I never failed those moments more then a few times they aren't very hard. Jumping on stuff to reach keys and stuff like that is kinda dumb thou.

- I agree with this one. But it was never a game breaker. I enjoy D2 combat as a meele just as any other type, very enjoy it. Animations tend to be jerky, but I never missed my targets much, and the animations them self are pretty cool in my opinion. However, the next patch is supposed to fix this.

- NOT AT ALL. Almost every RPG has this system. The concept of it is "trade goods\ gold for exp or exp for goods and gold. You can see it in many rpgs, and this is part of the balancing. Its very strong in D2 since it also comes to rewards and not only mind reading, and even skills like Wisdom. A bit to strong, but it balances itself and lets you play the way you like.

- I actually never saw that... Maybe you have something wrong with draw distance? Can you give any specific time it happens to you?

- If there was one thing I loved in D2 is the world. It wasn't as deatield and as pretty as Risen, but much prettier and fun to look at than Oblivion, the poor auto generated world, or Dragon age, the room world.

- I actually liked it. Its annoying that you cant use the keyboard to continue, but its not like they speak for eternity. Besides it can let me pause whenever I want. Many times I find myself in a middle of a conversation\ cut scene when something happens, and either a lot of noise starts or I need to go. In dragon age it will mean missing quite a lot of text, here, I just finish hearing one sentence and I can go.

- I also didn't find D2 interface to be very pretty especially in high resolutions, but I didn't have any problem with seeing the text. But the 360 interface looks much better, the PC one is low res and looks cheap overall. Still, I never had a problem with this its like this in many good games.

If I were you I would be waiting for the patch. Its going to have a new targeting system, better hit detection (thats how I call "enemies will get hit if they stand in the arc), and an improvement to the character animaitions will be much smoother, the hero should move faster and not "jerky and laggy" like now. Theres more but I don't remember...

I also hope they will tune the settings and fix the stuttering and little annoying freezes that occur from time to time, and the arrows thing... But all your points are overall correct, just not as bad as you make them look like (thou the OP seems to be really picking the smallest things I never though of)... There are actually many little annoying things in D2 but none of them is game breaking, I'm surprised none of you really mentioned them, it seems like you haven't spent enough time in the game.

Last edited by Zomgnome; 20/12/09 07:56 AM.
stubbie Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Zomgnome
(thou the OP seems to be really picking the smallest things I never though of)... it seems like you haven't spent enough time in the game.

The OP...me....has made another post since my original in this thread. In that post I mentioned that some of my gripes were oversights on my part and some are no longer as annoying as they were.
I also mentioned that my impressions were initially after only 6 hours of gaming.

I have played the game a heck of a lot longer and my opinion has again changed. Rather than make another supplementary post I will just add the following until I complete the game (if I can actually force myself to do that).

Until I entered the Orabas Fjords I was beginning to really love the game.
However now I find that the lack of direction that the main quest gives, leaves me with nothing but despair.
The force fields and barriers are simply frustrating. You are given little if nothing in regards to guidance on what you are supposed to do or where to go to get pass these barriers.
And even if you are lucky enough to work out how to lower the barriers (or ask for help as I had to) all you find is that there is yet another set of barriers you have to try and get through.

While many people here praise the lack of specific directions in this game I find that to be the most negative part of the game for me.

stranger
stranger
Saying "please contact the boys to SecuROM if the game has problems with loading" is not like "go bother someone else" at all. They have every right to say it. What you are saying is like expecting Microsoft to patch windows for a certain game, while the true fault is the game who needs the fix and not the whole system. (Here, the whole system is D2, the "game" is the SecuROM").

What i'm saying is that when you buy a game, you expect it work.
If they want to protect theyr game it's ok, if the game protection (or whatever) damage the legitimate customer, then is not ok.
You make customer angry this way, because seem you really don't care after you got the money from them.

If I were you I would be waiting for the patch. Its going to have a new targeting system, better hit detection (thats how I call "enemies will get hit if they stand in the arc), and an improvement to the character animaitions will be much smoother, the hero should move faster and not "jerky and laggy" like now. Theres more but I don't remember...

You just seem to not understand the point, do you? smile
I can wait a patch, yes...

I also hope they will tune the settings and fix the stuttering and little annoying freezes that occur from time to time, and the arrows thing... But all your points are overall correct, just not as bad as you make them look like

So you're saying the game is not working as intended, but this don't frustrate you enough.
My point, on other hand, is: the game is not working as intended, it's frustrating and i paid for it.
Should i have know..... well, Got It Now? smile

Last edited by Arlissa; 20/12/09 10:50 AM.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by stubbie
While many people here praise the lack of specific directions in this game I find that to be the most negative part of the game for me.

The developers make it quite clear they had no intention of holding your hand in the manual, though they are addressing this in the next patch from what I've read.

The only main issue I have with this game (Xbox 360) currently is the inconsistent frame rate, (which I honestly thought I'd fixed by installing to HDD as it relieves it somewhat). This really needs addressing in a future patch to make the experience smoother. It's not so bad that it makes the game unplayable, but it does need addressing.

Last edited by Unreal Warfare; 20/12/09 11:06 AM.

stubbie Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Unreal Warfare

The developers make it quite clear they had no intention of holding your hand in the manual, though they are addressing this in the next patch from what I've read.

That is just wonderful......you buy the game, and only then get to read the manual that says "and we on purpose made a game that doesn’t hold the players hand all the time.". How is that supposed to justify things? Most rpg's have sophisticated quest systems these days. The days of needing graph paper and keeping hand written notes are in the main thankfully gone. Hello......that is the current standard and is what is reasonably expected.

And I am not saying that I want the game to "hold my hand".
That makes me sound like a 5 year old child.
I am simply saying that there is no direction at all with some quests. Not even a general hint like... look in the north eastern section of the map. Just a journal entry like....find the quest item somewhere.

As I said previously, some people will appreciate this vagueness in the quest locations...I do not, to point of it ruining the game for me out of pure frustration.

Last edited by stubbie; 20/12/09 12:43 PM. Reason: I had to change my inital post
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by stubbie
Why do you say I wanted the game to "hold my hand".
You make me sound like a 5 year old child. That is an unfair and unjustified comment.

I think you should re-read what I posted a little more carefully.

I never said "you" wanted the game to hold your hand.

I said that by reading the manual the developers had no intention of the game holding your hand. Here, I'll quote it for you:

Originally Posted by Swen Vincke
and we on purpose made a game that doesn't hold the players hand all the time.

I also told you they are changing the map interface in the update.

Originally Posted by Lar_q
-More hints on the map

You can find a link to the thread regarding this update here.

Sorry if you find that offensive, personally I see nothing wrong with it.

Last edited by Unreal Warfare; 20/12/09 12:43 PM.

stubbie Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I do apologise Unreal Warfare

As you were posting I was editing my post. I didn't explain myself very well the first time.
I hope my edited post is better worded.

Again I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z

What i'm saying is that when you buy a game, you expect it work.
If they want to protect theyr game it's ok, if the game protection (or whatever) damage the legitimate customer, then is not ok.
You make customer angry this way, because seem you really don't care after you got the money from them.

But the game does work. The fact that there is a problem with a the protection system, probably and most likely implanted by the publishers (and not the creators of the game), that causes problems with the game working for certain ppl, is quite normal. Very normal actually, there is no game that comes out perfect. Things of this kind cannot be foreseen until the game is released. Every game, even those with very little bug problems, might be having tons of tech problems of this kind. The Witcher crushes, or Mass Effects blue screens are excellent examples. Unless the creators of D2 created this system, they really can't do anything about it other then pass it on to the creators of the system. The publishers however might be the ones you want to blame, usually they are the ones responsible for implementing such systems.

This is a big issue that needs to be fixed, I agree, but I disagree with how you blame the creators of D2 for that without considering those facts. This is concerning only the securoom thing, in game bugs are a different issue (you didn't talk about it in this post so ill wait for your replay...)

So you're saying the game is not working as intended, but this don't frustrate you enough.
My point, on other hand, is: the game is not working as intended, it's frustrating and i paid for it.

No. I'm saying that I've always known how this game would come out with tons of bugs, but I didn't care beacouse none of them frustrated me even a little bit, and I knew what to expect, thanks to reviews, demos, and the likes. The only reason I couldn't wait for the patch which I've learned about, was my curiosity. I'm not having any frustration with my purchase and I'm very satisfied with it. All I'm saying other than that I'm sorry that your not happy with yours, is that you shouldn't jump on the devs so lightly. Thou again, the op is the one who seems to really take it hard, so this content its not intended completely to you...

Should i have know..... well, Got It Now? smile

But you should have known. There are demos, forums, reviews, everything you need to know can be easily found. Moreover, the creators of D2 always said that they intend to improve the game further and bring it to its "complete" state in the last resale. This means that everyone who read about it knew how its going to be, very buggy, and like most rpgs, after a few months will get a patch that will make the game as good as it can be. True, releasing the game before its complete is quite a dirty trick, and not very healthy as well, but I'm sure the devs know what they are doing. The reason why it isn't to much of an issue is beacouse you are given the information you need about it. The devs them selfs talked about how they're planing to release the "ultimate" patch at the final release date (USA one) to bring the game to how it should be, and probably, even better.

old hand
old hand
Please give an example of a game released nowadays without bugs.

stranger
stranger
This is a big issue that needs to be fixed, I agree, but I disagree with how you blame the creators of D2 for that without considering those facts. This is concerning only the securoom thing, in game bugs are a different issue (you didn't talk about it in this post so ill wait for your replay...)

Whatever protection you agree to put into your game is your responsability.
Also, whoever pirate a game didn't get that protection, so make 2+2 and see if it does 4 or maybe 5 smile

But you should have known. Moreover, the creators of D2 always said that they intend to improve the game further and bring it to its "complete" state in the last resale.

Indeed, i should have know i was buyng a beta...
Please be kind and link me the exact line/forum/review where this is say by the creators before the EU relase.

Originally Posted by virumor
Please give an example of a game released nowadays without bugs.

A bug is a thing, a completely mess in gameplay and a problem that prevent you to play at all is another.
Man i'm using a cracked .exe file to play because there are no solution anywhere and i'm a legitimate user! Or maybe you want to suggest me not to play at all?
I'm not even certain if this is a protection problem or a bug, considering how many people call it out.
If you call this a "bug"... this is a beta version needed to be testet, not a "bug" :|

I was playng from 2 day long now, and my impression is this game got much in common with the "Gothic style of play" that i hate; mean you get a bad control over character, very bad secondary quest tracing and no point of interest at all on the map.
Someone called out a confrontation betwen Dragon Age and Divinity 2... after hours of frustration i think is like to comfrontate an eagle against a mosquito.
Anyway, i should have stopped playng and posting here some time ago, i doesn't make sense at all talking about oblivious thing with people who dont want to see it smile

S
S
Bioware games don't cause frustration?

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by SirChronos

Oh yes, in fact i didn't buy some of theyr games.
But what it matter if Bioware make or not frustrating product? I'm talking about D2 now, it's not important if i liked more one (over 19) title of Bioware.

Last edited by Arlissa; 21/12/09 02:01 PM.

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z

Whatever protection you agree to put into your game is your responsability.
Also, whoever pirate a game didn't get that protection, so make 2+2 and see if it does 4 or maybe 5 smile

But again, its the publishers who did it, not the creators. All I'm saying, please don't blame the creators of the game for this particular issue (which is not their make).

A bug is a thing, a completely mess in gameplay and a problem that prevent you to play at all is another.
Man i'm using a cracked .exe file to play because there are no solution anywhere and i'm a legitimate user! Or maybe you want to suggest me not to play at all?
I'm not even certain if this is a protection problem or a bug, considering how many people call it out.
If you call this a "bug"... this is a beta version needed to be testet, not a "bug" :|

Indeed. This is a beta. But I won't call the game not working a bug, this is a real tech problem which renders it impossible for you to play, and that is wrong. But a "complete mess in gameplay" seems to be more of an opinion rather then a bug, thou it defiantly has some bugs (this is why everyone are exited about the patch)...

I was playng from 2 day long now, and my impression is this game got much in common with the "Gothic style of play" that i hate; mean you get a bad control over character, very bad secondary quest tracing and no point of interest at all on the map.
[/b]

Firstly, Divinity 2 "style of play" IS VERY, VERY DIFFERENT from Gothic. I have no idea how you compare between them, I am a big fan of Gothic (and Risen) so I know what I'm saying, they are very different. But if you don't like this kind of games, why did you buy it? There are still demos, reviews you could try to know that its this kind of a game, or at least rent to see if you like it or not. You can't blame a racing game for having cars in it can't you? And personalty I didn't have any trouble with quest progression at all (only concern with the bandit camp which I thought I missed). But it might be true that some people will need a more strict quest tracing, I'm glad I can do without it smile
And yea I also found Risen awesome quests to be very easy to follow (thou at first many people probably don't understand how to use the quest maps, only found out in chapter 2, but that is when I needed it...)

Indeed, i should have know i was buyng a beta...
Please be kind and link me the exact line/forum/review where this is say by the creators before the EU relase.

I agree, you should have known you were buying a beta. And I'm very sorry but I don't remember where I saw it, and can't find it. But I strongly remember it was official, and I think it was in the tech forums, about patches, when it was said "we planed to improve each version with each release, and it is shown in the review scores how it worked. We plan to bring the game to its "ultimate version" with the final US release". And had the same concept like that. Even still this is not an excuse there are still reviews and forums without the need for official statement (which isn't even given mostly). But I'm sorry you were a "victim" (I'm not sarcastic, its just that you aren't really a "victim"...) beacouse again your points are true. I just think you should have been a bit more carefull with your purchase \:

Anyway, i should have stopped playng and posting here some time ago, i doesn't make sense at all talking about oblivious thing with people who dont want to see it smile
Well I hope you'll try the game again after the patch comes out and maybe come back and talk about it, but whatever it is, good luck with your future purchases.

Last edited by Zomgnome; 21/12/09 03:41 PM.
veteran
veteran

Then you haven't played BG/NWN/KOTOR

Originally Posted by Kein

Then you haven't played BG/NWN/KOTOR

I think he was asking the question "haven't Bioware games caused players frustration?" I don't think he was stating that Bioware games DON"T cause frustration.

Is reality just a fantasy?
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard