Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Support
Support

If the problem only occurs overwriting previous saves I don't have to worry too much about it. I always make multiple named saves whenever possible, even in types of games where I am unlikely to ever need to revert to an earlier save. Quicksaves might cause an issue, though, as I usually use them when just running around clearing stuff, or want to save before trying something but already have a relatively recent named save, etc.

stranger
stranger
Having the same issues with the XBOX 360 version of the game. I have noticed after some testing that the "exp" gained was somehow saved. I am allows geographically back at an older save, but my experience is saved. I noticed this by leveling up to 28 and then having the save/load problem. I loaded up a save from about 15 minutes prior that was a level 27 and I was back geographically but I was at level 28.

L
stranger
stranger
L
I can understand some rare random bug, but I don't get this wholesale save game issue!! Do you not have testers? What is worse than getting through some difficult fight and getting booted out to some UI previous save? I'm going to pay $60 bucks for a game, I would expect better testing! Its a really good game, but the save/load bugs really detract from what should be a GREAT game. Who wants to play an RPG just to be brought back to reality with a THUD by a lame save issue?

stranger
stranger
I had the same problem while trying to defeat the specter in the tomb. Once inside I realized had no potions so I attempted to run away and get some more, however a skeleton killed me. I reloaded my save to find myself outside with the experience and items I had gained inside. Also the doors to every building in town had disappeared. I found that if I enter another underground area, save, and then exit again and save the doors reappeared. However now I find that the door to the tomb is locked and I have yet to kill the specter therefore I cannot progress in the storyline.

R
stranger
stranger
R
Do you know if there might be a patch for this game for the 360 Us version eventually? This save bug is REALLY irritating its caused my game to freeze multiple times when I reload after dying and also has caused bricks to be placed over critical mission important areas as well as dropping me off in areas NOT where I saved (example: the first city where you had to find info about the Dragon sighting, I went to reload to try a new dialogue action and it dumped me on top the guard post with bricks over the doors). It kind of kills my enjoyment of the game, had to put it up for the time being and hope it gets fixed. If Larian studios reads theses forums PLEASE fix this.

stranger
stranger
The short answer is this bug sucks. My only option was to use an Auto-save from about 3 hours prior. I have been taking extra time prior to hitting the "b" button after saves (little noise when it saves), but this is not fool proof. Also after a tough area such as beating flying fortress I make two different saves.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Not only does this bug really stink, I find it interesting that the in-game tips say "Post on this website! Devs read and respond there!" I haven't seen a dev response yet, anybody else?

Regarding the bug though, I save (each and every time) on two seperate slots. I encounter this issue EVERY time I die and reload. NOT ONCE has the game loaded my save properly. It either loads some off the wall previous save, it doesn't load anything and locks up on the death screen forcing me to go back to the dashboard, or it loads the correct save in the wrong location. This is the kind of b.s. that makes great games die quick deaths. Don't release games with this kind of nonsense in them. This is just as bad as Assassin's Creed 2 being released for full price while missing two episodes of content.

Support
Support

The Larians do read the forum and sometimes respond, but not so much over Christmas. They could be concentrating on email support, or something.

The save bug appears to have been introduced in the North American release, so a changed feature or fix for something else may have broken the load procedure. Perhaps by this time the QA team is good enough they didn't do a lot of dying?
With Beyond Divinity, when they added the copy protection it caused a couple conflicts and bugs that had not existed before, so they had to delay going gold for a day while they fixed that. Something similar may have happened during the final production of the Xbox version.

This still should have been caught, but I can see how it may have occurred too late to be able to fix. I would assume/hope Larian has it fixed in the upcoming patch, though, as I doubt they would want to introduce this problem in non-US Xbox versions.

apprentice
apprentice
Larian - please comment?

W
stranger
stranger
W
I had the same issue since I purchased the pre-order game. I've noticed (which sorta temporily fixes the issue) is to make a completely new save everytime. Never overwrite the same file for this is the problem. Since doing this I had no bugs/glitches what so ever.

I truly hope this helps some! I wish you all the best and hopefully we will see a patch soon.

old hand
old hand
We definitely weren't aware of this bug & haven't been able to reproduce it yet. There are several engineers looking into what could cause the problem right now, and I hope we'll be able to give you some feedback soon.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Wolfiette2009
I had the same issue since I purchased the pre-order game. I've noticed (which sorta temporily fixes the issue) is to make a completely new save everytime. Never overwrite the same file for this is the problem. Since doing this I had no bugs/glitches what so ever.

I truly hope this helps some! I wish you all the best and hopefully we will see a patch soon.

Yep, that seems to be the general consensus on how to circumvent this bug. New save game slots everytime.

To Larian:

As far as I understand it, it should be very easy to reproduce and is happening on ALL North American patched xbox 360 versions of Divinity II:

- Create a save at a certain location
- Adventure and make sure you end up in a different location
- SAVE your game ATOP the previous one - NOT a new slot (where the character was located in a different ZONE all together)
- RELOAD the aforementioned savegame WITHOUT EXITING THE GAME

Those points above are all the common things users are doing to trigger the bug. Your engineers should have zero problems if they repeat these steps, which is why most of us are surprised this nasty bug ended up in the gold to begin with.

Either way, good luck and godspeed!

Last edited by Jorlen; 04/01/10 05:19 PM.
H
stranger
stranger
H
Could the save/load process somehow be drawing bad info from the 360's cache?

I encounter this bug maybe every fifth load now: I save immediately before a death or other status change, and then load to find myself still dead or in a completely different location but with items/quest completion current.

My current "fix" is to quit to dashboard when this occurs, restart the game and load my game. It has always loaded correctly the second time.

stranger
stranger
So I just bought D2 from GameStop and it is the Pre-Order Edition. I am stuck in Broken Valley. I faced the ghost in the tomb and he kicked my butt and when I reloaded the game the door was locked so I can't proceed until I have faced him. I am having the same save issues just like everyone else. Am I going to have to start over????

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Jorlen
Originally Posted by Wolfiette2009

Yep, that seems to be the general consensus on how to circumvent this bug. New save game slots everytime.

To Larian:

As far as I understand it, it should be very easy to reproduce and is happening on ALL North American patched xbox 360 versions of Divinity II:

- Create a save at a certain location
- Adventure and make sure you end up in a different location
- SAVE your game ATOP the previous one - NOT a new slot (where the character was located in a different ZONE all together)
- RELOAD the aforementioned savegame WITHOUT EXITING THE GAME

Those points above are all the common things users are doing to trigger the bug. Your engineers should have zero problems if they repeat these steps, which is why most of us are surprised this nasty bug ended up in the gold to begin with.

Either way, good luck and godspeed!

I have not run into this save bug and 100s of saves have been overwritten.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
Support
Support

WickedWen, I don't have the game yet, but assuming the door isn't locked deliberately (so you need to finish something or find a lever, etc to open it), try exiting back out to the dashboard, restart the game and load the save again.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Originally Posted by Lar_q
We definitely weren't aware of this bug & haven't been able to reproduce it yet. There are several engineers looking into what could cause the problem right now, and I hope we'll be able to give you some feedback soon.

I truly hope you are joking....

D
stranger
stranger
D
I'm wondering if this is just on the gamestop pre-order version? I got that version today and am having the same issues. I've had the game freeze three times and I'm still in the first town.

enthusiast
enthusiast
We have indeed been able to reproduce the issue and will try to work out a solution as soon as possible.

As most people have pointed out, the workaround for now is quite simple:

- if the save you are loading is an autosave (this automatically overwrites the previous autosave), then quit to dashboard and load it, it will not give you any problems then.
- Try to make new savegames instead of constantly overwriting one savegame. The problem does not occur if you do not overwrite.
- If you do run out of savegame space (limit is 20), simply go back to dashboard when an overwritten savegame is giving you problems.

We apologize for any inconvenience this caused and hope to resolve this soon.

W
stranger
stranger
W
I've been playing the 360 version game for an upcoming article, and the save file bug is a major hit against the game. Truthfully, it shouldn't have hit retail with a bug this frequent and obvious. And while the bulk of 360 owners may not have this problem, there's still a sizable chunk out there who have yet to get their consoles online, so a patch won't do them much good. Having said that, though, the game itself isn't bad at all.

One thing I want to add, though, you don't HAVE to create a new save file every time if you don't want to keep track of twenty files. Just as with loading from the Autosave, if you exit to the dashboard (presumably to completely clear the cache), then restart the game, you can load from your single save file, overwritten or not, and continue on. Either solution is a pain, but at least keeps the game playable.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard